Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #15376
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,582
Don't have to take the cover off to do the valves.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #15377
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Don't have to take the cover off to do the valves.
No, but it makes it a lot easier!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #15378
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Factory Supermoto bikes are at most about 1" lower than stock dirt bike suspension, but stiffer. And that is for racing, are you going to race? If not, you'll probably be happier with full dirt suspension.

I didn't really ask you anything, I just mentioned what I'm gonna do to MY bike and you burst into tears...riding season over where you live?

Lower, stiffer, more engine, taller gearing. Found a Duke II complete front end that looks pretty good.

Review of the SXV Aprilia:

"The long-travel suspension nicely absorbs bumps, but a shorter suspension would be appreciated, both to reduce its tall 36.1-inch seat height and to mitigate the considerable amount of front-end dive when tapping into the brawny power offered by the radial-mount monoblock caliper and 320mm wave-style front disc."

Husky 510 SMR has 3.25" less suspension travel than the TE.

DRZ-SM is a little over an inch shorter in suspension travel.

Leaving a 'tard with long soft spindly suspension is just lazy. It's fine if you want to switch wheels back and forth for dirt riding. I want to build a dedicated street bike out of an XRR, sorry to make so many cry.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #15379
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
No, but it makes it a lot easier!
Easier? Rotating the crank per the manual requires removing two more fasteners (two more tools since they're different sizes) and another tool in your hand (socket on your wrench) to actually rotate the crank. Whereas putting the bike in 3rd or 4th gear and rotating the rear wheel as you watch the valves move is tool-less, and in my view, easier. Granted, my method requires the rear wheel to be elevated, but it is anyways when doing work like this on my lift.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #15380
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Oh, you're just going for looks, not function, never mind.

Watch out Pete--you better say that with a wink. It might be the first time anyone EVER accused Larryboy of form over function. I saw the guy weld a cr500 front end on a GS, build custom back to front linkage suspension on a yamaha, turn a suzuki bandit into a hack dirt monster, and replace perfectly good German made FI with carbs and custom airbox because darn if it didn't work better. Them's fighting words, and to keep the peace (and to keep Larryboy from bannination again), please tell him you were only kidding!
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #15381
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Life its too short , i dont know why someone takes anything said on internet forums seriously or get upsett over it ,

Old 12-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #15382
poppy
Slow and Steady

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian View Post
Just curious if anyone here has any experience with replacing a crank in a XRR ?? if so how big of a chore is it ??

Not replacing the crank, but doing a rebuild on one at the moment. Which entales removing the crank and changing rod, bearings etc.

You will need a press for pressing the crank out of the right side case and a specific type of bearing puller to remove the left side crank bearing if doing it yourself. Or just take it to a shop to have them remove it for you. Make sure you get all the bolts from the cases before you try and seperate them, there are a few sneaky ones. You should not need to pry the cases apart. A tap with a nylon/rubber mallet should be enough to break the seal, then they should pull apart with a little effort. I will be taking the crank to someone that has the correct know how and tools to remove the rod and bearing and reassemble. The crank is a 3 piece item and needs to go back together correctly. Hate to do all this and have it come apart for a few because i was to tight to spend a few more dollars.

I am waiting on parts, so cant fill you in on how the reverse goes yet.

poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:37 PM   #15383
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post

Watch out Pete--you better say that with a wink. It might be the first time anyone EVER accused Larryboy of form over function. I saw the guy weld a cr500 front end on a GS, build custom back to front linkage suspension on a yamaha, turn a suzuki bandit into a hack dirt monster, and replace perfectly good German made FI with carbs and custom airbox because darn if it didn't work better. Them's fighting words, and to keep the peace (and to keep Larryboy from bannination again), please tell him you were only kidding!
Not sure why he gets so worked up, I was just trying to help. But I only raced Supermoto for 7 years, the last with a #1 on my bike, so what do I know? I don't really care what he does to it, as long as he puts a steering damper on it!?!

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #15384
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Review of the SXV Aprilia:

"The long-travel suspension nicely absorbs bumps, but a shorter suspension would be appreciated, both to reduce its tall 36.1-inch seat height and to mitigate the considerable amount of front-end dive when tapping into the brawny power offered by the radial-mount monoblock caliper and 320mm wave-style front disc."

I want to build a dedicated street bike out of an XRR, sorry to make so many cry.

I would definitely agree with this assessment, however IMHO it's not really possible without re-engineering the whole bike as lowering the bike will come at the expense of ground [read: cornering] clearance. Either way, I can't picture the results panning out. Let us know how it works for you though.

RZ Rob
RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #15385
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Brush with Greatness

Responded to a Craigslist ad today and met one of the original founders of the Rip to the Tip. Super nice guy. While I was there he called his friend, another famous Baja legend. It was really cool to talk about abusing the XR in Baja. These guys were doing 300 mile days in the dirt - at full race speeds.

RZ Rob

Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #15386
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,236
Quote:
Not sure why he gets so worked up, I was just trying to help. But I only raced Supermoto for 7 years, the last with a #1 on my bike, so what do I know? I don't really care what he does to it, as long as he puts a steering damper on it!?!

Me worked up? You're the one thumpin' your number one plate.

Here's to the god of supermoto.

It has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I would definitely agree with this assessment, however IMHO it's not really possible without re-engineering the whole bike as lowering the bike will come at the expense of ground [read: cornering] clearance. Either way, I can't picture the results panning out. Let us know how it works for you though.

RZ Rob

Maybe you guys are confused about how to ride? That move to the outside and force the bike down under you is for go-kart tracks, on the street we hang off the inside and gain ground clearance.

Not this:

This:

Now this guy could use 13" of fork travel about now:

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #15387
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

I agree

Once again, I totally agree, but that's a different kind of bike.

My current road bike is an Aprilia RSVR Factory and boy does it love corners I also ride an RS250. But, I was amazed by the performance of a well-tuned SuperMoto machine like the SXV550. I must clarify though, I'm just a novice that loves to go fast. Any pro on either bike could whoop me regardless of what bike advantage I might think I had. So, I'm not really qualified to say. Plus, if you can visualize it working, it might. I'll tell you though, on the tight stuff, from what I've seen, a good SuperMoto will smoke a road bike.

BTW, gotta love IOMTT. I went in 2000 (godspeed Joey). Never saw anything like it.

RZ Rob

Some pics for fun

My Factory

Infinion and the SXV

Laguna Seca and the RS

My old NSR credit card bike
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #15388
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

Jeeeeepers LB, on what track is this?
Never seen anything this radical, not even the on Isle of Man.... but I stand to correction, maybe it is there.
The poor guy must have problems to walk, huge cojones!

BuRPsa screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 11:51 PM Reason: pic does not show
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #15389
K75STER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Now back to the regular scheduled program

Thinking of going with the Sahara Tank on my BRP

Anyone got one they want to part with?

Longshot maybe, but what the hey-if you got one and want to sell shoot me a PM
K75STER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #15390
Mur
Wheee!

Oddometer: 21
This is my first post here! Been reading alot on here for awhile,though. I've learned alot about the BRP before I finally bought one this last month. It's a 2000 model,and i'm doing all the normal stuff people do to maintain her. I love it so far.
Mur is offline   Reply With Quote