Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #15496
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsung View Post
I don't so much care about lightweight or performance, I just want the strongest, longest lasting ones. When you look at those Ironman rears they don't even look that strong because they're cut down so much for weight savings. Are Ironman the strongest? I plan to put a lot of miles on my bike.

And do you know how much weight aluminum saves over steel on the sprockets? 4 oz. Four freakin ounces. Double the cost, 1/4 the life, to save 4 oz.
I wish I was that good to notice the 4 oz less weight, but I am not.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #15497
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I wouldn't consider a few dollars in diodes (rectifier not regulator) and time required to splice them in to be significant, unless you are unemployed, homeless, and have no thumbs.

I'm just sayin...
Not hard at all once you make the commitment. Again though, the OP asked if a USB connector was a simple plug-in and the answer is NO. You're going to have to do a little more than just connect it.

I just got done doing the dual sport stator and harness etc., on my XR and granted I was really A/R about it, but it took me a few days to complete.

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #15498
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad View Post
Unfortunately my XR is getting very lonely since breaking my femur last summer on a ride (as usual the XR was ride-able)....for the record my spot or Iphone likely saved my life as I was alone on the side of a mountain...Naturally now I think everyone should have one! for the story and video see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJqZ1TaZ5w (give it a thumbs up if you think a spot is a good idea!)
I try not to ride by myself, however most of my buddies are street or dirt, not dual sport. I ended up buying an ACR ResQLink PLB. While it doesn't let your friends know where you are (like a Spot), it let's you notify Search & Rescue via NOAA registration if you get into a life or death situation. It's good for piece of mind.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #15499
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
You did a nice job, very clean. Mine started that way, but has evolved to the point that I just cram it all down with my foot while I throw the seat over it before it spills out like intestines.

What is the little black do hickey on the lower left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Not hard at all once you make the commitment. Again though, the OP asked if a USB connector was a simple plug-in and the answer is NO. You're going to have to do a little more than just connect it.

I just got done doing the dual sport stator and harness etc., on my XR and granted I was really A/R about it, but it took me a few days to complete.

RZ Rob

crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #15500
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post

RZ Rob
That is really sexy man! Looks like you did some real good work there.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #15501
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
RZ Rob

Very tidy (and clean!)
Interested to know about the canister on what looks to be the crank case breather hose?

[/QUOTE]
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #15502
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
XR650R or CRF450X

XR650X AVrider's,

I need some help deciding the best way to scratch my dirt bike itch. I currently ride a BMW R1200GSA. Great bike but it is pretty expensive and emotional to scratch and break so I am looking for something better suited for the mountains and desert of Arizona. I have narrowed it down to either the XR650R or CRF450X. At the age of 44 I will not be doing flips on either one. Either will be an earlier version '00-'07 set up with large capacity fuel tank. I understand the weigh vs power trade offs. Is one more maintenance intensive then the other? Is one cheaper to farkle-out with aftermarket's? Any thoughts is appreciated. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #15503
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
XR650X AVrider's,

I need some help deciding the best way to scratch my dirt bike itch. I currently ride a BMW R1200GSA. Great bike but it is pretty expensive and emotional to scratch and break so I am looking for something better suited for the mountains and desert of Arizona. I have narrowed it down to either the XR650R or CRF450X. At the age of 44 I will not be doing flips on either one. Either will be an earlier version '00-'07 set up with large capacity fuel tank. I understand the weigh vs power trade offs. Is one more maintenance intensive then the other? Is one cheaper to farkle-out with aftermarket's? Any thoughts is appreciated. Thanks for your inputs.
The XR will be less maintenance but will weigh like 55 lbs more. There will definitely be more farkles available for the CRF as they haven't made the XR since 07. Personally any farkle that adds weight to me is not a good investment for an offroad bike unless it makes it safer like a steering stabilizer...

Since I bought the XR I have barely ridden the GSA, its a fantastic bike with a cult like following, damn near bomb proof...and what like 8 Baja 1000 wins to its credit... Buy it, set it up right, and you will never regret it.......
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #15504
EduardoMas
Spartan Overlander

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
What is the little black do hickey on the lower left?
Blinker.

I have the very same setup down to the custom notched BD reg/rec.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
EduardoMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #15505
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,476
Cool2

Just scored a Clarke 4.3 gallon on the Flea Market.

ADV You're the SHIT.

That is all.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM   #15506
Jayrod1318
Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
You are 100% correct about AC / DC. I always assume everyone on this site is running a dualsport kit which should have a full DC or at least a DC leg of their wiring harness.

I need to upgrade, Just running the stock stator. 55w headlight dims like crazy with the blinkers.

heated grips would be REAL NICE CLARK.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #15507
Dual Badger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Help

What gas cap is everyone you using on a IMS 4.6 tank?
Just put this tank on my xr650 and the new cap leaks all over the place
Dual Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #15508
Jayrod1318
Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Badger View Post

Does IMS make one? or is there a molding flaw on the lip?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #15509
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
XR650X AVrider's,

I need some help deciding the best way to scratch my dirt bike itch. I currently ride a BMW R1200GSA. Great bike but it is pretty expensive and emotional to scratch and break

Lost me after this statement.....

I'm glad your interested in changing your ways.

Then again there are some XRR guys who are scared to get their bikes dusty too...

I understand the GSA for a touring bike, but so many people buy into the "adventure" bike.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #15510
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Badger View Post

My stock cap does not work on my IMS 7 gal. tank either, not a casting flaw. The IMS cap works good.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote