ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #15526
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
The big XRR is very rideable stock IMHO but for less than a grand you can recreate the 1X engine.
I am currently doing just this, but would love to know where you can get an HRC kit for less than a grand.....?
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #15527
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR
 
tennessee thumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Arkansas Ozarks
Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack Gardener View Post
Funny, I just did this the other week. I ran it for a while, I have done it before on my 2T and ran it for a while mainly due to laziness. They are not welded on, hopefully you can get some vise grips around what is left of the stud and pull it out. It's like a $2 part so just replace it instead of constantly having to worry about it on the trail.

I believe the proper torque is 8 ft-lbs. I was just too lazy to bust out the torque wrench and figured I could tell by hand. Was I wrong
Thanks for the heads up on this, was not sure if they were welded or what.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #15528
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: San jose ca
Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
I am currently doing just this, but would love to know where you can get an HRC kit for less than a grand.....?
Didn't the 1x motor run just the cam, and uncorking mods with no piston change? That is doable for 1,000 right?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #15529
slickwill
Exhiled
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Didn't the 1x motor run just the cam, and uncorking mods with no piston change? That is doable for 1,000 right?
Yes and probably.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #15530
slickwill
Exhiled
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Didn't the 1x motor run just the cam, and uncorking mods with no piston change? That is doable for 1,000 right?
I just spent well over $2k on my motor and didn't have to buy cam or HRC internal (they were already there). The big expense for me was my Falicon crank/rod assembly at $800 to address the weak big end bearing in the stock setup. I did all disassembly and reassembly myself. The only labor I paid for was bore job, valve job, and the aforementioned crank job. If you have a stock bike in good condition and plan to reuse all parts other than what would be replaced by HRC kit parts then you could probably come in under $1000k. I replaced my valves, springs, clutch, bearings, etc. while I was in there so it started adding up fast.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #15531
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 659
In reality there were many things done to the 1x bike that were confidential. I have tried getting information out of Team Honda but they are still playing their cards close to their chests 7yrs after the XR's raced. There was head work like polishing/porting that was done apparently and then the HRC kit minus the piston which created issues when run on race fuel so they left that out. Then to complement the engine there was the batwing in the airbox, carb hose into airbox relocation etc.

I guess by using just the basic aftermarket bits to replicate the HRC kit you could get close to $1k. Ultimately I am convinced there are a few more mods that were carried out but never spoken of.
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #15532
slickwill
Exhiled
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 209
The head on my Campbell bike was ported, polished, and decked down as far as you could go without it affecting the valve seats so I know they do at least some head work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #15533
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
Or a YZ450

If he is really focused on a 4 stroke then the Yamaha 450s are by far the most dependable and also have the best suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I feel enlightened after having read that. A YZ250.... Hmmmm
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #15534
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
You don't need the kit

All you need is the HRC cam, the porting, and the pipe. The pipe can be had used for $100-$300. The porting is $300. And all you need from the HRC kit is the cam. You don't need any of the other parts, especially the cam related parts. Just check the cam chain for stretch every 5K or 10K miles. Then there are the little things like the vented panel and Batwing and a few other minor parts but those are all very cheap. There are a few works parts out there but they won't make any difference.

I've know two guys who bought the HRC kit off guys who bought them new but never installed them. Then they sold all the parts of the kit except the cam and voila; they had a free HRC cam.

If you are patient the pipe and the head do show up used for sale. Most sellers don't know what they have. I bought one of the 1X heads from a guy a few years ago for $60 or $70 dollars. I bought a Batwing earlier this year for $35 including the airbox and another three years ago for $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
I am currently doing just this, but would love to know where you can get an HRC kit for less than a grand.....?

bump screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 07:49 PM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #15535
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
There were three basic pieces

There are three basic pieces to the 1X engine: HRC Cam, the porting through Bob's friend, and the HRC piston. Each one brings the same increase in power. The HRC piston changed the nature of the power and wasn't used much. When it was used it was milled down for Chevron and Pemex premium and was sort of a high desert setup.

Then there are the smaller pieces that support this setup like the pipe, Batwing, vented panel, breather kit and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Didn't the 1x motor run just the cam, and uncorking mods with no piston change? That is doable for 1,000 right?
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #15536
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
I think this is more legend...

This bike was Ogilvie's baby so he'd be the one to know it all and he's gone.

Ogilvie tried alot of parts and some were works stuff and some were just ideas that he had private shops in So Cal produce. So if you talk to Ty Davis you'll hear about a special emulsion tube but no one else knows about that. If you talk to some other guy you'll find a works air boot. If you talk to Bob Bell you will learn a few things like his buddy doing all the porting. And Jonah Street's buddy in Washington coming up with the Batwing. And so forth.

I think the reality is the bike was just too much when it was setup as fast as possible. I've mentioned this before on here but Campbell himself said it tended to come out from underneath him with the HRC piston.

Also, Honda never wanted to make the bike in the first place and they scrubbed most of the pages about it from the powersports.honda.com site after the Bob sorted out the 450.

Not to step on any toes here but like Caselli says sure Honda has been dominating Baja but against who exactly? The big XRR really didn't need to be that fast. If Kawi and their KX500 teams were still doing the Score races when the XR650R was in its prime then I think the big XRR would have won far fewer races. And it may have forced Kawi to update the KX500 as well and what a beautiful world that would be. Just my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
In reality there were many things done to the 1x bike that were confidential. I have tried getting information out of Team Honda but they are still playing their cards close to their chests 7yrs after the XR's raced. There was head work like polishing/porting that was done apparently and then the HRC kit minus the piston which created issues when run on race fuel so they left that out. Then to complement the engine there was the batwing in the airbox, carb hose into airbox relocation etc.

I guess by using just the basic aftermarket bits to replicate the HRC kit you could get close to $1k. Ultimately I am convinced there are a few more mods that were carried out but never spoken of.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #15537
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: GTA
Oddometer: 202
2004 Xr650R

Picked up this 2004 XR650R a few months ago. Love it! Hoping to grease the swing arm and steering over the winter. Also want to check the valves, install heavier shock spring.

mdlak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #15538
Jayrod1318
Poster
 
Jayrod1318's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Here and there and stuff.
Oddometer: 1,641
05 wr exhaust = xr650r exhaust

I'm going to modify a 05 wr450 muffler to my XRR.

Any objections form the peanut gallery?

The plan is too use the pipe from my big gun and weld it to the wr muffler, that way the only change that will need to happen is on the muffler is the mounting tab on the can.


The whole thing is not very heavy and looks way better than the stock xr muffler.

Any thoughts?
__________________
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #15539
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
All you need is the HRC cam, the porting, and the pipe. The pipe can be had used for $100-$300. The porting is $300. And all you need from the HRC kit is the cam. You don't need any of the other parts, especially the cam related parts. Just check the cam chain for stretch every 5K or 10K miles. Then there are the little things like the vented panel and Batwing and a few other minor parts but those are all very cheap. There are a few works parts out there but they won't make any difference.

I've know two guys who bought the HRC kit off guys who bought them new but never installed them. Then they sold all the parts of the kit except the cam and voila; they had a free HRC cam.

If you are patient the pipe and the head do show up used for sale. Most sellers don't know what they have. I bought one of the 1X heads from a guy a few years ago for $60 or $70 dollars. I bought a Batwing earlier this year for $35 including the airbox and another three years ago for $10.
I have the race pipe, but had to use XR's only headers as the owner didn't want to part with the full system.....no matter how much I begged! very few headers fit the muffler join as it was smaller than stock (smaller than all other PC headers too). I have searched the planet for a full PC race system and got nothing, it would be like winning the lottery to find one for sale these days - but like you say the ones that sell are sold by people who have no idea how rare they are!

As mine is a replica build I really want to find everything, even the small works parts, otherwise it defeats the point really.
__________________
Blog: XR650R.Blogspot.com
FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/BajaXR650R
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #15540
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I'm going to modify a 05 wr450 muffler to my XRR.

Any objections form the peanut gallery?

The plan is too use the pipe from my big gun and weld it to the wr muffler, that way the only change that will need to happen is on the muffler is the mounting tab on the can.


The whole thing is not very heavy and looks way better than the stock xr muffler.

Any thoughts?
Giver shit.

The only downside is it's not really designed for the extra volume of the 650, but I bet it will work just fine. I haven't really seen any size variations on models other then fitment mostly.

I'm sure it'll work and look great.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015