Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #15526
Singletrack Gardener
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
One of the 4 axle pinch bolts welded to the RH fork leg snapped off.

Has this happened to anyone?

Did you repair, replace or ignore?

I just finished a good run around Terlingua, TX and Big Bend with it like this and no issues.

I
Funny, I just did this the other week. I ran it for a while, I have done it before on my 2T and ran it for a while mainly due to laziness. They are not welded on, hopefully you can get some vise grips around what is left of the stud and pull it out. It's like a $2 part so just replace it instead of constantly having to worry about it on the trail.

I believe the proper torque is 8 ft-lbs. I was just too lazy to bust out the torque wrench and figured I could tell by hand. Was I wrong
Singletrack Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #15527
seasider
Just a rider

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
Well, I went from a GSA to a drz to an xrr to a crf. The xrr was definately a hoot to ride. Wide open stretches were great, and even some of the technical stuff wasn't a problem. Where I lost patience was really my own fault, but when the bike went down it flooded. Now you've gotta clear it before the starting hokey pokey. Around 6-8 kicks to clear it, then the just past tdc, then swift kick. Hopefully, it starts first kick, otherwise, you're doing the hokey pokey thing again. I really like my lighter crf with the magic button. But at times, I miss the xrr. Not usually, though!
Ah HAh! Now I know the truth!!! Don.... hope the the crf is treating you well but I see you still hang around the BRP boys
Could not stand to be without the beast and went and bought another one. I'm back on a BRP with a Big Ass Smile! Hope all is well buddy.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #15528
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
Ah HAh! Now I know the truth!!! Don.... hope the the crf is treating you well but I see you still hang around the BRP boys
Could not stand to be without the beast and went and bought another one. I'm back on a BRP with a Big Ass Smile! Hope all is well buddy.
: ) nice! i was wondering about the sale... i thought you loved that bike. they are a frickin' hoot to ride, aren't they? and that one had the precision concepts suspension that i just loved.
yes, the crf is still treating me well. so far, it's the overall best off road bike for me that i've had.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #15529
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Design changes in the XRR from '00-'07

When shopping for an XRR, are there any design changes that occurred between '00 and '07 that I should be aware of in considering an older or newer XRR?

Thanks for your time.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #15530
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
When shopping for an XRR, are there any design changes that occurred between '00 and '07 that I should be aware of in considering an older or newer XRR?

Thanks for your time.
Updated clutch bushing in 2001, and BNG!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #15531
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post

Thanks for your time.

Doesn't matter what year you get, they are all good. You should replace the clutch bushing when you buy a BRP anyways. The updated bushings are cheap.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #15532
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Perhaps you are thinking of the L instead of the R because Honda lists the current CRF450X at 269 pounds and I think the XR650R was listed at 277 with most magazines saying the XRR weight was 280ish. The L though is usually listed about 350 so that would be a huge difference. If one is comparing the 650L to the 450X then it's not a fair comparison IMHO.

I would say the two bikes have three major differences: Ergos, power characteristics, and maintenance.

The CRF feels much newer and slimmer. If you are an average sized guy then the CRF will feel better most likely. If you are a bigger guy then the XRR will likely feel better.

The XRR has more power and more fun power. The power is down low and in the mid where it is usable. Adding parts to create the Bob Bell engine make it giant fun to ride. You could ride about anything in 3rd gear if you wanted. Naturally, the 450 is at a disadvantage here against the XRR's 50% more cubes. The XRR will feel (seat) and look (plastic) just a tad old school. That said, the sort of riding you plan to do may be the best indicator of which bike is best. The 650 is simply a bike that requires little maintenance and if you run OEM filters and do basic maintenance like valves then I think the engine could easily go 50,000 miles and I'd reckon that is several times more than the CRF will go. Bob Bell told me that they really didn't need to take apart the 650 after any of the races including the 1000 and they only did it because they had Honda in charge. He said that engine would easily race all the events they could enter without a problem.

If you buy the CRF you must install the stainless valves but not much more to have a great bike.

The big XRR is very rideable stock IMHO but for less than a grand you can recreate the 1X engine.

I'd guess that if a license plate is valuable to you then you will find more XRRs plated than CRF450Xs. Also, know that the 2009-2012 CRF450X/R were considered a bad chassis. I think Honda still races the '07 chassis.

I think a better companion bike or comparison bike to the XR650R is the current KX450. I'd get the MX bike and change the gearing. I'd recreate the bike THR is using in the 1000 currently. Last month I drive Phil and Ryan down to Ensenada to drop off the THR 8X bike at the hotel before the 1000. We had alot of time and we talked about the differences between the Honda 1X XR650R that won everything for many years which Bob Bell developed, the current Honda 450 that JCR races which was developed by Bob Bell before Ogilvie died, and the current KX450 THR races also developed by Bob Bell. One thing is clear every time I talk with real racers (of which I am NOT) and that is that less weight is nearly always better in every way.

Also depends on your budget... I've seen very clean stock XR650Rs for $1500 lately. I bought one that was little used for $600 recently complete, running, and with a few accessories. So for $5K you can have a decent 450X, a full on 1X XR650R with cash left over, or part of a Precision Concepts KX450.

If you are looking for a dirt only bike and want the most fun then a newish Yamaha YZ250 is impossible to beat. They are very light, have great power, have better suspension stock than any other motorcycle in the world, are almost free to maintain, have lots of aftermarket parts like 150 watt stators ( a guy in Washington State is making them now), large gas tanks and weigh 60lbs less than any 450, are a third the weight of what these hugely stupid European fire road sleds weigh, and will make you a much better rider on any Sunday because of the light weight. I think the 2011 YZ250 are 211lbs!

If you choose the Honda 450 then here is a useful article: http://powersports.honda.com/experie...080a4a0dd.aspx

Congrats on avoiding the GSTurds and going for a real dirt bike instead of the pencil protector version of women driving Mercedes SUV/Minivans in Beverly Hills. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
I feel enlightened after having read that. A YZ250.... Hmmmm
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #15533
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
The big XRR is very rideable stock IMHO but for less than a grand you can recreate the 1X engine.
I am currently doing just this, but would love to know where you can get an HRC kit for less than a grand.....?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #15534
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack Gardener View Post
Funny, I just did this the other week. I ran it for a while, I have done it before on my 2T and ran it for a while mainly due to laziness. They are not welded on, hopefully you can get some vise grips around what is left of the stud and pull it out. It's like a $2 part so just replace it instead of constantly having to worry about it on the trail.

I believe the proper torque is 8 ft-lbs. I was just too lazy to bust out the torque wrench and figured I could tell by hand. Was I wrong
Thanks for the heads up on this, was not sure if they were welded or what.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #15535
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
I am currently doing just this, but would love to know where you can get an HRC kit for less than a grand.....?
Didn't the 1x motor run just the cam, and uncorking mods with no piston change? That is doable for 1,000 right?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #15536
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Didn't the 1x motor run just the cam, and uncorking mods with no piston change? That is doable for 1,000 right?
Yes and probably.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #15537
slickwill
Exhiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I just spent well over $2k on my motor and didn't have to buy cam or HRC internal (they were already there). The big expense for me was my Falicon crank/rod assembly at $800 to address the weak big end bearing in the stock setup. I did all disassembly and reassembly myself. The only labor I paid for was bore job, valve job, and the aforementioned crank job. If you have a stock bike in good condition and plan to reuse all parts other than what would be replaced by HRC kit parts then you could probably come in under $1000k. I replaced my valves, springs, clutch, bearings, etc. while I was in there so it started adding up fast.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #15538
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 604
In reality there were many things done to the 1x bike that were confidential. I have tried getting information out of Team Honda but they are still playing their cards close to their chests 7yrs after the XR's raced. There was head work like polishing/porting that was done apparently and then the HRC kit minus the piston which created issues when run on race fuel so they left that out. Then to complement the engine there was the batwing in the airbox, carb hose into airbox relocation etc.

I guess by using just the basic aftermarket bits to replicate the HRC kit you could get close to $1k. Ultimately I am convinced there are a few more mods that were carried out but never spoken of.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #15539
slickwill
Exhiled

The head on my Campbell bike was ported, polished, and decked down as far as you could go without it affecting the valve seats so I know they do at least some head work.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #15540
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Or a YZ450

If he is really focused on a 4 stroke then the Yamaha 450s are by far the most dependable and also have the best suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I feel enlightened after having read that. A YZ250.... Hmmmm
bump is offline   Reply With Quote