User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #15541
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
You don't need the kit

All you need is the HRC cam, the porting, and the pipe. The pipe can be had used for $100-$300. The porting is $300. And all you need from the HRC kit is the cam. You don't need any of the other parts, especially the cam related parts. Just check the cam chain for stretch every 5K or 10K miles. Then there are the little things like the vented panel and Batwing and a few other minor parts but those are all very cheap. There are a few works parts out there but they won't make any difference.

I've know two guys who bought the HRC kit off guys who bought them new but never installed them. Then they sold all the parts of the kit except the cam and voila; they had a free HRC cam.

If you are patient the pipe and the head do show up used for sale. Most sellers don't know what they have. I bought one of the 1X heads from a guy a few years ago for $60 or $70 dollars. I bought a Batwing earlier this year for $35 including the airbox and another three years ago for $10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
I am currently doing just this, but would love to know where you can get an HRC kit for less than a grand.....?

bump screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 08:49 PM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #15542
bump
COLOR ME GONE

There were three basic pieces

There are three basic pieces to the 1X engine: HRC Cam, the porting through Bob's friend, and the HRC piston. Each one brings the same increase in power. The HRC piston changed the nature of the power and wasn't used much. When it was used it was milled down for Chevron and Pemex premium and was sort of a high desert setup.

Then there are the smaller pieces that support this setup like the pipe, Batwing, vented panel, breather kit and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Didn't the 1x motor run just the cam, and uncorking mods with no piston change? That is doable for 1,000 right?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #15543
bump
COLOR ME GONE

I think this is more legend...

This bike was Ogilvie's baby so he'd be the one to know it all and he's gone.

Ogilvie tried alot of parts and some were works stuff and some were just ideas that he had private shops in So Cal produce. So if you talk to Ty Davis you'll hear about a special emulsion tube but no one else knows about that. If you talk to some other guy you'll find a works air boot. If you talk to Bob Bell you will learn a few things like his buddy doing all the porting. And Jonah Street's buddy in Washington coming up with the Batwing. And so forth.

I think the reality is the bike was just too much when it was setup as fast as possible. I've mentioned this before on here but Campbell himself said it tended to come out from underneath him with the HRC piston.

Also, Honda never wanted to make the bike in the first place and they scrubbed most of the pages about it from the powersports.honda.com site after the Bob sorted out the 450.

Not to step on any toes here but like Caselli says sure Honda has been dominating Baja but against who exactly? The big XRR really didn't need to be that fast. If Kawi and their KX500 teams were still doing the Score races when the XR650R was in its prime then I think the big XRR would have won far fewer races. And it may have forced Kawi to update the KX500 as well and what a beautiful world that would be. Just my opinion...

Quote:
In reality there were many things done to the 1x bike that were confidential. I have tried getting information out of Team Honda but they are still playing their cards close to their chests 7yrs after the XR's raced. There was head work like polishing/porting that was done apparently and then the HRC kit minus the piston which created issues when run on race fuel so they left that out. Then to complement the engine there was the batwing in the airbox, carb hose into airbox relocation etc.

I guess by using just the basic aftermarket bits to replicate the HRC kit you could get close to $1k. Ultimately I am convinced there are a few more mods that were carried out but never spoken of.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #15544
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
2004 Xr650R

Picked up this 2004 XR650R a few months ago. Love it! Hoping to grease the swing arm and steering over the winter. Also want to check the valves, install heavier shock spring.

mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #15545
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,585
05 wr exhaust = xr650r exhaust

I'm going to modify a 05 wr450 muffler to my XRR.

Any objections form the peanut gallery?

The plan is too use the pipe from my big gun and weld it to the wr muffler, that way the only change that will need to happen is on the muffler is the mounting tab on the can.

The whole thing is not very heavy and looks way better than the stock xr muffler.

Any thoughts?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #15546
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
All you need is the HRC cam, the porting, and the pipe. The pipe can be had used for $100-$300. The porting is $300. And all you need from the HRC kit is the cam. You don't need any of the other parts, especially the cam related parts. Just check the cam chain for stretch every 5K or 10K miles. Then there are the little things like the vented panel and Batwing and a few other minor parts but those are all very cheap. There are a few works parts out there but they won't make any difference.

I've know two guys who bought the HRC kit off guys who bought them new but never installed them. Then they sold all the parts of the kit except the cam and voila; they had a free HRC cam.

If you are patient the pipe and the head do show up used for sale. Most sellers don't know what they have. I bought one of the 1X heads from a guy a few years ago for $60 or $70 dollars. I bought a Batwing earlier this year for $35 including the airbox and another three years ago for $10.
I have the race pipe, but had to use XR's only headers as the owner didn't want to part with the full system.....no matter how much I begged! very few headers fit the muffler join as it was smaller than stock (smaller than all other PC headers too). I have searched the planet for a full PC race system and got nothing, it would be like winning the lottery to find one for sale these days - but like you say the ones that sell are sold by people who have no idea how rare they are!

As mine is a replica build I really want to find everything, even the small works parts, otherwise it defeats the point really.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #15547
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I'm going to modify a 05 wr450 muffler to my XRR.

Any objections form the peanut gallery?

The plan is too use the pipe from my big gun and weld it to the wr muffler, that way the only change that will need to happen is on the muffler is the mounting tab on the can.

The whole thing is not very heavy and looks way better than the stock xr muffler.

Any thoughts?
Giver shit.

The only downside is it's not really designed for the extra volume of the 650, but I bet it will work just fine. I haven't really seen any size variations on models other then fitment mostly.

I'm sure it'll work and look great.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #15548
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak View Post
Picked up this 2004 XR650R a few months ago. Love it! Hoping to grease the swing arm and steering over the winter. Also want to check the valves, install heavier shock spring.

I don't normally quote pictures to free up space, but that there is a beauty.

Get more seat time on that thing. You'll only start to love it more!

Valves are easy to check. Do it often. Greasing bearings are also easy and let you learn the bike. Be aware special tools (can be made) are required for the swingarm.

If you haven't, look into doing some suspension work. It'll change the way you think about the bike.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 AM   #15549
bigtrailie
Rough idle

Oddometer: 643
Fender bags, tool pouches?

Who has found a good solution for carrying tools, spare tube, etc? With the minimalist rear subframe there seems to be a whole lot of "wiggle" back on that rear fender. Right now, I carry my stuff in my backpack....but I'm cautious of having a get-off and putting a screwdriver or tire iron through my spleen.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #15550
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Xrr

Thanks Shibby. I'm still learning and appreciate all the input from the XRR thread. Since the picture was taken I've changed coolant, put on a set of rox risers, manrack and installed a speedo/odometer. Got heavier springs on the way for my fat butt! I'll be looking for suspension tips soon.
mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #15551
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
Who has found a good solution for carrying tools, spare tube, etc?
I did this:

Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #15552
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

I built a tool kit down low, but crushed it on rocks and had rusty tools.

If you make one, make sure it's waterproof!

I just put my tools in my GL coyote along with the first aid and other stuff.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #15553
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak View Post
Beauty
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #15554
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Watch CL

I saw a full Ti setup on Craigslist here a couple of years ago. I don't think they lasted well so many were probably tossed.

Also, I think alot of the parts were one offs like the fan, the air boot, emulsion tube, and so forth. Why would a guy sell only part of the Ti exhaust? The one part I've never seen is the rear caliper.

In any case, with two teams and alot of talented people shuffling through the XR650R program there was alot of stuff tried.

Not all of the 1X bikes were crushed. Some went through a Honda shop in Denver. I used to know where there was in in Seattle that was turned into a SM bike.

Do you have all the little things like cable clips and whatnot? It's gonna be really difficult to find and get all that stuff to OZ IMHO. Not to be a pessimist but you really needed to be searchin for this stuff five years ago when all the teams were getting rid of parts. I remember only about two XR650Rs coming through out pit in the 1000 this year.

There was a guy in Santa Barbara or Ventura who had like two or three built. He sold them in the last couple of years on eBay I think. Something like that. The price wasn't sky high either. I think the guy built them with Campbell or at least that was his story. I don't know the veracity of any of it and can't say one way or the other. Surely someone on here who lives in that area knows the guy. Having that stuff can't be a secret in a small area like that.

I don't have any advise but I will offer my opinion that I doubt you will ever find it all in a reasonable amount of time. There were alot of guys who had all the 1X parts on their race bikes but most of those bikes were worn down to a nub and parted out. I'd build a bike to ride and then be all over the For Sales here in the US looking for one of the bikes when it comes up for sale and buy the whole thing outright.

Quote:
I have the race pipe, but had to use XR's only headers as the owner didn't want to part with the full system.....no matter how much I begged! very few headers fit the muffler join as it was smaller than stock (smaller than all other PC headers too). I have searched the planet for a full PC race system and got nothing, it would be like winning the lottery to find one for sale these days - but like you say the ones that sell are sold by people who have no idea how rare they are!

As mine is a replica build I really want to find everything, even the small works parts, otherwise it defeats the point really.

bump screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 11:06 PM
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #15555
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
I saw a full Ti setup on Craigslist here a couple of years ago. I don't think they lasted well so many were probably tossed.

Also, I think alot of the parts were one offs like the fan, the air boot, emulsion tube, and so forth. Why would a guy sell only part of the Ti exhaust? The one part I've never seen is the rear caliper.

In any case, with two teams and alot of talented people shuffling through the XR650R program there was alot of stuff tried.

Not all of the 1X bikes were crushed. Some went through a Honda shop in Denver. I used to know where there was in in Seattle that was turned into a SM bike. One is a memorial bike.

Do you have all the little things like cable clips and whatnot? It's gonna be really difficult to find and get all that stuff to OZ IMHO. Not to be a pessimist but you really needed to be searchin for this stuff five years ago when all the teams were getting rid of parts. I remember only about two XR650Rs coming through out pit in the 1000 this year.

There was a guy in Santa Barbara or Ventura who had like two or three built. He sold them in the last couple of years on eBay I think. Something like that. The price wasn't sky high either. I think the guy built them with Campbell or at least that was his story. I don't know the veracity of any of it and can't say one way or the other. Surely someone on here who lives in that area knows the guy. Having that stuff can't be a secret in a small area like that.

I don't have any advise but I will offer my opinion that I doubt you will ever find it all in a reasonable amount of time. There were alot of guys who had all the 1X parts on their race bikes but most of those bikes were worn down to a nub and parted out. I'd build a bike to ride and then be all over the For Sales here in the US looking for one of the bikes when it comes up for sale and buy the whole thing outright.
Thanks Bump, I totally agree with what you say and I expect it to be difficult. It was the rear calliper that Team Honda Racing did not want to talk to me about so I can see that being an issue. There are certain things that I will need to settle for a close match or locally modified replica (ie suspension), but as it is early days I am still hoping to find everything. Slickwill has helped with some detailing so far and I have replicas of the sponsor graphics being made here in Oz, and Precision Concepts/Works Connection/JCR and Pro Circuit have been a great help so far. I have an original scan of the under fender 1X decal with JC signature.

JCR was amazingly helpful and they actually still have the exact bike I am replicating in storage (2005 1x Baja 1000) and have sent through very detailed photos of the bike so that I can use them as a reference. Given that they have just done Baja and the Dakar is coming up soon I thought that they were most helpful.

The guy here in Oz that I got the race muffler from had no idea what he had, so he wanted to use the stock muffler as it was quieter with his race headers. He even went and modified the headers to fit the stock muffler, it was an absolute crime in my mind but hey. Things are only worth as much as your glass of knowledge allows.