User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #15631
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 413
Max Temp

Does any body know what the max engine temp is on the BRP? Im setting up my new Vapor computer. Thanks
Steve
Old 12-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #15632
jm-2008
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Priceless!

Capt E,
Looks like you have a pair of budding road race and off road racers in the making.
Great pic.

Enjoy.

JM-2008

jm-2008 screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 06:54 PM Reason: Typo
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #15633
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008 View Post

Capt E,
Looks like you have a pair of budding road race and off road racers in the making.
Great pic.

Enjoy.

JM-2008

Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #15634
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefrmGV View Post
Does any body know what the max engine temp is on the BRP? Im setting up my new Vapor computer. Thanks
Steve

I can't say for sure but my xr run 165-180 most of the time I set alarm at 215F. B
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #15635
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by babuja View Post
Hi guys,

XR headlight it's really bad.

Thinking about converting to LED but realized that LED need battery, and DC power? is this correct?

There's any AC LED for my XR?

Plug & play... no battery needed... plenty of light... great wind protection also...

Purchased from an inmate here... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766161

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #15636
CynKrzy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
a fool and his $$$$

Time for an introduction - bought a project - '95 XR600R street legal and currently licensed. knew it was gonna be a rebuild, didn't know it was gonna be as much of one as I do now.

Haven't ridden dirt in 25 years, been riding Sportbikes, need to save that nonsense for the track, so I got this to do some fire roading and easy trail riding.

3rd gear is jacked up, little end of the rod is galled, found lotsa nice copper shavings in the oil tank screen, frame needs some welding (kickstand bracket) and looks like it's been welded on before. Suspension feels good, so that's a plus. Pretty much every bearing is gonna need to be replaced.

Cam & Rockers don't look too bad, though there is a lot of carbon on the valves & piston crown. Imagine at least new valve springs, piston, rings, rod etc. Should have done a leak-down test before we tore it apart, but the valves don't appear to leak (sprayed a bunch of carb-clear in the ports and nothing wept by the valves)

Any and all advise, recommendations, pointers etc, gladly accepted!

here's a pic of the beast after we stripped it.

CynKrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #15637
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 413
Thanks for infp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
I can't say for sure but my xr run 165-180 most of the time I set alarm at 215F. B
I will set my alarm at that point.
thanks
Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #15638
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
:)

Merry X-mass, my brothers! I embrace you all!
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #15639
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynKrzy View Post
Time for an introduction - bought a project - '95 XR600R street legal and currently licensed. knew it was gonna be a rebuild, didn't know it was gonna be as much of one as I do now.

Haven't ridden dirt in 25 years, been riding Sportbikes, need to save that nonsense for the track, so I got this to do some fire roading and easy trail riding.

3rd gear is jacked up, little end of the rod is galled, found lotsa nice copper shavings in the oil tank screen, frame needs some welding (kickstand bracket) and looks like it's been welded on before. Suspension feels good, so that's a plus. Pretty much every bearing is gonna need to be replaced.

Cam & Rockers don't look too bad, though there is a lot of carbon on the valves & piston crown. Imagine at least new valve springs, piston, rings, rod etc. Should have done a leak-down test before we tore it apart, but the valves don't appear to leak (sprayed a bunch of carb-clear in the ports and nothing wept by the valves)

Any and all advise, recommendations, pointers etc, gladly accepted!

here's a pic of the beast after we stripped it.

there are several experts on this bike over at Thumper talk, they know everything about those engines, and i mean everything.

this is the 2000-2007 Xr650r thread.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #15640
CynKrzy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
there are several experts on this bike over at Thumper talk, they know everything about those engines, and i mean everything.

this is the 2000-2007 Xr650r thread.
Thanks, I'll look 'em up.
CynKrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #15641
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
Shoot, mine runs around 220-230 all day long. I decided I needed to try to put the thermostat back in it. Hopefully it helps regulate the flow and keep the fluid in the rads longer.

I have my fingers crossed, I have a Spal fan I need to install, and next step after this is fluidynes.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #15642
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Ive got oversize rads on mine and rarely see much over 150.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:45 AM   #15643
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Shoot, mine runs around 220-230 all day long. I decided I needed to try to put the thermostat back in it. Hopefully it helps regulate the flow and keep the fluid in the rads longer.

I have my fingers crossed, I have a Spal fan I need to install, and next step after this is fluidynes.
It can reach 220 but shouldnt be that hot all or most of the time. Putting in the thermostat will not change the time the fluid is in the rads. I'd take it out again except outside temps are less than 5 C (40 F)...
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #15644
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,987
Kind of a question with no answer, but how mych do you guys normally budget for a full teardown and rebuild? My bike doesn't 'need' much, just every bearing needs re-greased, fork oil needs changed, chain and sprokets are due, wiring needs cleaned up, etc. Just a bunch of little stuff. I'm thinking by that point I'm not very far off from taking it down to the frame and painting it, plus addressing anything else I may find along the way.

Think I can do it for under $500 if I stay out of the motor, with no suspension work? I'm laid off so I have plenty of time with little money right now. Or maybe wait until I have money, just do what needs done and plan on a rebuild next winter.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #15645
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Kind of a question with no answer, but how mych do you guys normally budget for a full teardown and rebuild? My bike doesn't 'need' much, just every bearing needs re-greased, fork oil needs changed, chain and sprokets are due, wiring needs cleaned up, etc. Just a bunch of little stuff. I'm thinking by that point I'm not very far off from taking it down to the frame and painting it, plus addressing anything else I may find along the way.

Think I can do it for under $500 if I stay out of the motor, with no suspension work? I'm laid off so I have plenty of time with little money right now. Or maybe wait until I have money, just do what needs done and plan on a rebuild next winter.
If you have the time to do all the work yourself it will cost you very little money , its the labour what hikes the cost , the parts are cheap . 500 should be more than enough .