Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #15646
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
If you have the time to do all the work yourself it will cost you very little money , its the labour what hikes the cost , the parts are cheap . 500 should be more than enough .
Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. I have plenty of time, I've just never had one to the bare frame before and aren't real sure what all problems I might run into. I've also never messed with steering head bearings or swingarm bearings, so that will be a learner for me also.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #15647
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Cool, that's what I was hoping to hear. I have plenty of time, I've just never had one to the bare frame before and aren't real sure what all problems I might run into. I've also never messed with steering head bearings or swingarm bearings, so that will be a learner for me also.

If you like me ( long term alzheimer sufferer ) take pictures , they are helpfull sometimes in the assembly process
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #15648
Mur
Wheee!

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

Once you find out how fun it is, Your'e gonna need 1500 bucks lol. Unless that's just me...Seems to happen with every bike I own
Mur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #15649
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
XR650R suspension advice

Hoping to get some opinions on spring rates for my XRR. I bought a set of slightly used springs (front and rear) 0.49kg/mm fronts and 11kg/mm rear. I weigh 220 lbs and do mostly dual sport rides carrying some gear (guessing 30lbs of gear?). The stock rear spring is obviously not heavy enough based on the excessive rear sag I'm getting. Racetech spring calculator is telling me that I need .549kg/mm fronts and 10.5 kg/mm rear. Would I be making a mistake switching to the heavier springs front and rear?
mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #15650
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak View Post
Hoping to get some opinions on spring rates for my XRR. I bought a set of slightly used springs (front and rear) 0.49kg/mm fronts and 11kg/mm rear. I weigh 220 lbs and do mostly dual sport rides carrying some gear (guessing 30lbs of gear?).

Install those, front is a little firm near the end of a fuel run, but pretty good most of the time. I'm 220 and carried 30 pounds of gear on my old XRR with those same springs, 6 gallon tank too.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #15651
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hoping to get some opinions on spring rates for my XRR. I bought a set of slightly used springs (front and rear) 0.49kg/mm fronts and 11kg/mm rear. I weigh 220 lbs and do mostly dual sport rides carrying some gear (guessing 30lbs of gear?). The stock rear spring is obviously not heavy enough based on the excessive rear sag I'm getting. Racetech spring calculator is telling me that I need .549kg/mm fronts and 10.5 kg/mm rear. Would I be making a mistake switching to the heavier springs front and rear?
That is pretty good setup for your weight , go for it .
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #15652
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
XRR suspension

Thanks for the input!
mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #15653
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for the input!
I run the same setup 49 front and 11 rear and its a waste improovement over the soft stock setup + smooth as butter with the new oil , they have recomended the same springs for me , but they only have the 49 for the front , but after testing it i think its fine , the 55kg rated spring would be too hard for me as i dont carry that much load only the coyote bags on the back .
Old 12-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #15654
4r22mny
Old n' Slow

Oddometer: 322
Jetting for loooooooow altitude?

Maybe some of you XR experts can help me here. I'm sure that somewhere in 1000 or so pages I could find the answer but I'd rather spend the time tuning the bike.

I live at about 2800 feet in altitude, a lot of my riding starts at 4000 ft. and goes up. My "piggie" runs really good right now no burbles, backfires, or stumbles along the way - starts with a couple of kicks even cold. My quandry is this -- I think I'm going to go to Death Valley for a week (staying at Panamint and doing daily loops) -- can somebody out there with some experience give me a quick idea on jetting for this expedition?

If it was a 2 smoke and back in the racing days I could come close pretty quick but I have no idea here - do I even have to worry much about anything but the needle position? Main jet? Needle jet? I'll prolly be doing mostly the two tracks since my understanding about DV in Feb. is that most of the rougher single track is ice/snow covered.

'preciate the help.

4r

05 1200 GS
04 1300 FJR
06 XR650R
4r22mny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #15655
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,041
I ran mine with a 165 main, DV low country to 12k on White Mtn.

Most of the DV area is up high, leave yours alone is my advice.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #15656
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215

My uncle teaches in English in Taiwan (we're from Canada). He comes home for a few months every summer between semesters. He said he wanted to buy a dualsport to ride with me and I found this for him it was a great deal. 2000 xr650r... can't be sure of the actual mileage as the bike has no odometer (amongst other luxuries) but I got it off an old guy who said he bought it to fart around with him and his wife and they barely road it.

He plans on doing air box mod, new exhaust and new tires when he gets back.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #15657
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

+2 on this advice. I've ridden sea level to 12K also and never changed the jetting.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 AM   #15658
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
If you are going to err one way or the other make sure you are too rich up high rather than too lean down low. I've had mine on the dyno and my A/F ratio is essentially perfect at 1000 ft which is where 98% of my riding takes place. A couple years ago I trailered my bike home to Idaho where my parents house is at 2700 ft. From there I did a road where I was at almost 10k feet in less than 15 minutes. The power drop is phenomenal as you make that change but there isn't any point to stopping half-way just to re-jet the carb.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:36 PM   #15659
Desertskyy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post

x 3 on this advice I have been running a 165 main for years with no issues.

Good luck
Desertskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #15660
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post

My uncle teaches in English in Taiwan (we're from Canada). He comes home for a few months every summer between semesters. He said he wanted to buy a dualsport to ride with me and I found this for him it was a great deal. 2000 xr650r... can't be sure of the actual mileage as the bike has no odometer (amongst other luxuries) but I got it off an old guy who said he bought it to fart around with him and his wife and they barely road it.

He plans on doing air box mod, new exhaust and new tires when he gets back.
It might just be the picture , but it looks like the chain is very tight on that bike , check it just to be on the safe side .