Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #15676
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
The pipe and the vented cover are for the HRC kit and you'll get nothing for your efforts other than bling. Get the foot peg fix and a comfy seat instead.
I have the vented side over, sorry but its a little more than bling, esp at altitude.

I don't know about the Ricky Stator's being from china but they have more than proved themselves to the vast majority of users running their stators and their Reg/Rect. on here and many forums. They are widely resold through other vendors too, in fact they sell far more stators than BD and have been doing so for a number of years. You mention it being cheap china stuff, I've yet to see or read of a rider who has had one go bad, I'm sure they do but it's rare so if it is china produced, they are doing a good job. Aside from extra windings the componets look exactly the same. Their customer service is good and they actually reply to your email which is more than I can say for many of the vendors. What's to dislike, their product works, has a good rep, is cheaper than the competition, and they stand behind it with very good customer service. I wish I could say that about more companies.

RideFreak screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 07:32 AM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #15677
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I have the vented side over, sorry but its a little more than bling, esp at altitude.

I don't know about the Ricky Stator's being from china but they have more than proved themselves to the vast majority of users running their stators and their Reg/Rect. on here and many forums. They are widely resold through other vendors too, in fact they sell far more stators than BD and have been doing so for a number of years. You mention it being cheap china stuff, I've yet to see or read of a rider who has had one go bad, I'm sure they do but it's rare so if it is china produced, they are doing a good job. Aside from extra windings the componets look exactly the same. Their customer service is good and they actually reply to your email which is more than I can say for many of the vendors. What's to dislike, their product works, has a good rep, is cheaper than the competition, and they stand behind it with very good customer service. I wish I could say that about more companies.
Well said!
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #15678
nick5446
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Considering selling my XR650R and hoping to get some guidance for the next bike and on its value. Probably going to get another supermoto/enduro/dual sport but none are really calling to me, save for maybe the SuperDukes. I feel like the pricing on the XRRs has been falling lately, but maybe it's just the season. Only reason I'm thinking of selling it is because it's the "always something" bike. It runs great right now, but I feel like I'm always fixing something on it. I love it when it's running, but hate seeing it sit in the garage torn apart.

It's your pretty standard 2002 XRR. It's CA titled and plated. Great shape, save for a few scratches. Has all of the normal stuff done (FMF pipe, jetting, airbox, filter, uncorked, de-smogged, etc) in addition to high end flush mount LED turn signals in the rear, Cycra handguards with built in LEDs in the front, Easton (I think) "CR High" handlebar, upgraded stator, big cushy leather seat (forget the brand), new right footpeg mount (the nice one that wraps around the frame), newer Pirelli tires and tubes, Fluidyne radiators and hoses and a host of other stuff. The best part about it is that I JUST rebuilt the whole engine top to bottom. Second gear went out on it so I replaced all 9 gears (at about $70/each), shift forks, shift drum, all gaskets, rings and most bearings. The piston and cylinder bore were near perfect. The bike had about 3500 miles on it prior to the rebuild and has had about 700-1000 since. Starts first kick easily, and runs great.

Also, another question. While my bike is CA plated and titled, I currently live in OR. I moved here about 7 months ago and didn't get around to switching the tags over to OR, and now that I'm considering selling it, I'm assuming it's worth more in CA than OR because they're so hard to find plated there, so I might try to sell it in CA.
nick5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #15679
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick5446 View Post
Also, another question. While my bike is CA plated and titled, I currently live in OR. I moved here about 7 months ago and didn't get around to switching the tags over to OR, and now that I'm considering selling it, I'm assuming it's worth more in CA than OR because they're so hard to find plated there, so I might try to sell it in CA.

Seems like the plated XRR's get listed in the $3200-$3500 range around here.

I have a non-plated 2000 for sale...$1850 firm, less than that and it can sit there until I have more time to ride it.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #15680
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Let's stick to the facts

On one hand we have your opinion which I respect as I have read many of your posts on here over a long time and you have alot of them. Moreover you are quick to lend a hand and stick your neck out offering advice and information when others do not. I commend you for that and do so publicly. There are alot of guys on here with this bike who are a very long ways from So Cal and also don't have a mechanic nearby who knows anything about this bike, which can be a bit quirky. So having a guy like you on here who is careful with people and also conscious of keeping costs down is great.

But in this case I have your opinion in one hand and Bob Bell's opinion in the other. So whose opinion am I gonna take? A nice and knowledgeable guy on this forum, or the guy who, with Bruce Ogilvie, developed the parts of which you and I speak?

Of course alot of vendors sell RS stuff as they are essentially the low price leader and America is nothing if not immersed in Wal-Mart culture. But being the cheapest comes with caveats and I've clearly listed the caveats. If you are a guy who rides several times during the summer and then stores the bike for eight or nine months a year then perhaps cutting some corners on quality and cost makes sense to you. However, every buyer should be fully aware of the tradeoff he is making and your post implies the products are the same, as in a commodity, which they are clearly not.

For many the RS is the smarter choice. It's the same with boats; don't treat them like you will have them until you die. But you are not including all the facts and the two stators are not the same and the price difference isn't significant.

The Customer Service at Baja Designs is one of the strongest selling points IMHO. They have fixed alot of my crap and never charged me for anything but parts. They always answer the phone and I can speak with their technical guy every time and he is very patient with me. When I go to the shop in San Marcos they are very friendly and helpful and I assure you I am nobody to them.

How does the vented panel work better at higher altitudes where the air is less dense, has less O2, and generally the riding is slower; as in less wide open? I've never heard that before and it seems at first reading to be counter-intuitive. And I don't want to offend anyone but a louder side panel and a louder pipe and louder muffler does not equal more power and speed. There are guys out here who have bought new XR650Rs just before a race or on their way to a race and done very well.

So the OPs riding would benefit much more from a safety improvement (peg fix) and a more comfy seat as the Big XRR has the worst seat this side of a Supercross bike. Especially since he said the bike was for a guy who will be riding a little in the summers. The performance parts listed are a waste of money for a bike to be ridden occasionally in the woods of Canada. I will admit that all the extra noise from the parts might have an added benefit for scaring off bears.

Quote:

bump screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 11:54 AM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #15681
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
On one hand we have your opinion which I respect as I have read many of your posts on here over a long time and you have alot of them. Moreover you are quick to lend a hand and stick your neck out offering advice and information when others do not. I commend you for that and do so publicly. There are alot of guys on here with this bike who are a very long ways from So Cal and also don't have a mechanic nearby who knows anything about this bike, which can be a bit quirky. So having a guy like you on here who is careful with people and also conscious of keeping costs down is great.

But in this case I have your opinion in one hand and Bob Bell's opinion in the other. So whose opinion am I gonna take? A nice and knowledgeable guy on this forum, or the guy who, with Bruce Ogilvie, developed the parts of which you and I speak?

Of course alot of vendors sell RS stuff as they are essentially the low price leader and America is nothing if not immersed in Wal-Mart culture. But being the cheapest comes with caveats and I've clearly listed the caveats. If you are a guy who rides several times during the summer and then stores the bike for eight or nine months a year then perhaps cutting some corners on quality and cost makes sense to you. However, every buyer should be fully aware of the tradeoff he is making and your post implies the products are the same, as in a commodity, which they are clearly not.

For many the RS is the smarter choice. It's the same with boats; don't treat them like you will have them until you die. But you are not including all the facts and the two stators are not the same and the price difference isn't significant.

How does the vented panel work better at higher altitudes where the air is less dense, has less O2, and generally the riding is slower; as in less wide open? I've never heard that before and it seems at first reading to be counter-intuitive. And I don't want to offend anyone but a louder side panel and a louder pipe and louder muffler does not equal more power and speed. There are guys out here who have bought new XR650Rs just before a race or on their way to a race and done very well.

So the OPs riding would benefit much more from a safety improvement (peg fix) and a more comfy seat as the Big XRR has the worst seat this side of a Supercross bike. Especially since he said the bike was for a guy who will be riding a little in the summers.
so, aside from the price, how exactly are they "clearly" not the same?

when you go up in altitude, the O2 gets less, so you need to let more in. hence the opened up air box.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #15682
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,051
Quote:

The Customer Service at Baja Designs is one of the strongest selling points IMHO. They have fixed alot of my crap and never charged me for anything but parts. They always answer the phone and I can speak with their technical guy every time and he is very patient with me. When I go to the shop in San Marcos they are very friendly and helpful and I assure you I am nobody to them.

So the OPs riding would benefit much more from a safety improvement (peg fix) and a more comfy seat as the Big XRR has the worst seat this side of a Supercross bike. Especially since he said the bike was for a guy who will be riding a little in the summers. The performance parts listed are a waste of money for a bike to be ridden occasionally in the woods of Canada. I will admit that all the extra noise from the parts might have an added benefit for scaring off bears.

I think I understand that you have had great customer service with Baja Designs. They've even replaced parts for you, with you only paying for value of the parts. But I didn't read where you had any facts that prove that BD stators are better than Ricky Stators. About all I get from your post is no mention of RS failures, only BD failures. So while you may believe that Baja Designs stuff is better, all you've proved is that you like their customer service and you like stopping by their shop and giving them your money. And I have a Baja Designs stator, by the way.

And if the shit hits the fan with either lighting coil, your day isn't over. As long as the ignition coil is still working, the bike will still run without lights. Works for me.

As for the vented plate issue, yes there are altitudes where it's still wide open. Utah and Colorado come to mind. Rode the XRR to Utah myself. Sad to say that I suffered more than the bike with the lack of O2. I'll agree that without some dyno time with exhaust gas analyzer feedback, just bolting on an exhaust and sidecover will not necessarily give you extra ponies.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #15683
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Ricky Stator uses a cheaper stator; Chinese stuff. Baja Designs uses the Honda stator - that is why they cost more. You have to get past this idea that everything is a commodity. Baja Designs will use the cheap Chinese stuff when it meets their standards, as they often do in their 8" HID race lights instead of the German stuff, especially if it is going to an amateur setup.

If your stator goes you are f'kd. There's no trail side repair on that. And who among us carries a spare? You won't be so stoked about the measly $50 you saved then.
I dont think that Baja designs are still selling the xr 650 r stator , sadly . Sending your own to someone for rewind or ricky stator ,... or ?

ZXRaziel screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 02:05 PM
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #15684
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I dont get why a RickyStator being made in china would effect its quality at all. Its just a plastic ring and some wire. Mine looks every bit as good as the OEM one. I don't see how it would suddenly break and I have never seen anybody complain about a failure.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #15685
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

I should probably change my statement about the side covers, "At altitude they are much more than bling." I don't ride at sea level so I cant make an informed judgment on that. All of our riding it at least 4K' and is usally at 5K~10K', sometimes up as high as 13K' on ocassion. There are routes I sometimes take where I want the sidecover vents closed due to the depth of water crossings so I duct tape them closed and essentially have a stock sidecover. As a result I get to feel the system closed and open within min of each other. Is it quantifable? No, can you feet it, most definately and the difference is very noticable. An yes, at alt we try and get as much air into the bike as possible due to low O2 content, the more air we can get in results in less of an impact on bike's jetting, even differences in airfilter oils can be felt much at altitude. As for running them less at alt, that's not so, I live on the edge of a high desert and have plenty of 5th gear WFO straights and arroyos where the bike gets run hard. Up here the bikes make less HP at alt so if anything, they probably get abused more. Not sure what you mean by the noise, I haven't detected a difference in intake noise from the sidecover mod, there might be some but it's minimal.

My question to you is have you ever ran the two covers back to back? Possibly there is no diff at sealevel although I've heard there is, you should try it. I've never run my XRR down at SL but have almost 10K mi of use at 5K'+. If you're running a TM40 the difference in covers is more pronounced, enough that it will benifits from a 1 size (2.5) bump to the mj.

I can appreciate you loyalty to BD, sounds like they have gone out of their way to help you out, that speaks well for them. You're lucky to have that resource. But it shouldn't diminish the customer service or product that RS sells, both have also been proven. BD supports racing and their DS kits, RS supports a much wider range of vehicles and have been doing so for years quite successfully. As for the cheap chineese materials, the trigger/pulser coil you recieve with a RS is a new Honda OE unit, ether they are sourcing them from Japan or Honda is getting their parts in China, ether way they work well and for far more than the ocassional weekend ride. What are you basing the RS cheap quality reference on? Look on this thread or the XRR Electricity thread, there's allot of RS customers here, BD also. The only stator failures I've heard of were with the OE unit. I don't remember any with a RS or BD unit. I've heard of the BD reg/rect going out but that's becaused it's current rating is at the low end for our use, everyone pretty much knows that and uses the RS variant.

Quote:

RideFreak screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 04:23 PM
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #15686
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
I dont think that Baja designs are still selling the xr 650 r stator , sadly . Sending your own to someone for rewind or ricky stator ,... or ?

BD rewinds the stator, for years I have heard they are better. True I dont know?

Stator Rewind, XR650R

12-6012

Stator comes stock with 4 of the 10 potential poles wound with a lighting coil.We rewind these stators as dual-outputs of 125w per output(2 lighting coils instead of 1) for 250w total.When run with one of our dual-sport kits,one output is used to power the headlight exclusively on its own AC circuit.The remaining output is used to charge the battery and power the rest of the kit.If you have a new dual sport kit you must also order a relay.Requires left side case modification to make room for the beefed up coils. Does not require a flywheel puller.Dry stator.

Ricky stator, I have had in my bike for ten years maybe 35,000+ miles. smells bad but still works. and I did pack my stock stator in my gear bag for the first few months.

both are good if i do it again, I will go Baja for cleaner power. I have never thought the power from the ricky is clean down low in the rpm's.
Bert
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #15687
dohcfox
meh

Oddometer: 138
Bump,

Please step up and share a real, first hand example of how RS's stators are cheap and fail prone. And I ask that respectfully. My comments are based on the two RS stators that I have installed, both on Hondas. The first was my cousin's 600R, and most recently my 650R. In addition to off road duties, my 650R is ridden daily as a commuter running one 200W DC leg, which supplies a Cyclops Rally light with 90W low beam, grip heaters, and other stuff. At last count, the RS stator has 10,000 or so miles on it without any failures, rain or shine, freezing or sweltering.

That's my real world experience (apart from RS's excellent customer service), and that's why I recommended an RS stator to the OP.

And hey, if you come back and bring some real world, honest to goodness tech on why RS stators are bad, then I just might yank mine out buy a BD stator. But until then, it's not going to happen. And again, I say this respectfully.

Quote:
Ricky Stator uses a cheaper stator; Chinese stuff. Baja Designs uses the Honda stator - that is why they cost more. You have to get past this idea that everything is a commodity. Baja Designs will use the cheap Chinese stuff when it meets their standards, as they often do in their 8" HID race lights instead of the German stuff, especially if it is going to an amateur setup.

If your stator goes you are f'kd. There's no trail side repair on that. And who among us carries a spare? You won't be so stoked about the measly $50 you saved then.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #15688
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
+1

I do have my side cover drilled out at sea level and the bike is so much better that way. if I tape it up thinking it needs than at some point I pull the tape and am happier. the jetting is set up for more air flow. the xxr never run right till i drilled the holes.

Quote:
I should probably change my statement about the side covers, "At altitude they are much more than bling." I don't ride at sea level so I cant make an informed judgment on that. All of our riding it at least 4K' ans is usally at 5K~10K', sometimes up as high as 13K' on ocassion. There are routes sometimes taken where I want the sidecover vents closed due to the depth of water crossings, I duct tape them closed and essentially have a stock sidecover. As a result I get to feel the system closed and open within min of each other. Is it quantifable? No, can you feet it, most definately and the difference is very noticable. An yes, at alt we try and get as much air into the bike as possible due to low O2, even differences in airfilter oil can be felt much of the time.

My question to you is have you ever ran the two covers back to back? Possibly there is no diff at sealevel although I've hear there is. I've never run my XRR down there but have almost 10K miles of use at 5K'+. If one is running a TM40 the difference in covers make is more pronounced, enough that it benifits from a slight bump to the jetting. There is a difference in airflow.

I can appreciate you loyalty to BD, sounds like they have gone out of their way to help you out, that's a big plus for them and you're lucky to have that. But it shouldn't diminish the customer service or product that RS sells. BD supports racing and their DS kits, RS supports the entire industry and happen doing so for years quite successfully. As for the cheap chineese materials, the trigger/pulser coil you recieve with a RS is a new Honda OE unit. Ether they are sourcing them from Japan or Honda is getting their parts in China, ether way they work well and for far more than the ocassional weekend ride.
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #15689
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
BD rewinds the stator, for years I have heard they are better. True I dont know?

Stator Rewind, XR650R

12-6012

Stator comes stock with 4 of the 10 potential poles wound with a lighting coil.We rewind these stators as dual-outputs of 125w per output(2 lighting coils instead of 1) for 250w total.When run with one of our dual-sport kits,one output is used to power the headlight exclusively on its own AC circuit.The remaining output is used to charge the battery and power the rest of the kit.If you have a new dual sport kit you must also order a relay.Requires left side case modification to make room for the beefed up coils. Does not require a flywheel puller.Dry stator.

Ricky stator, I have had in my bike for ten years maybe 35,000+ miles. smells bad but still works. and I did pack my stock stator in my gear bag for the first few months.

both are good if i do it again, I will go Baja for cleaner power. I have never thought the power from the ricky is clean down low in the rpm's.
Bert
How clean the power is has nothing to do with the stator, it's what's connected behind it that determines that.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #15690
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Physics

So, by your thinking, if someone was climbing Everest all they'd need to get more O2 into their lungs is a bigger mouth?

BD uses the Honda stator and RS uses a Chinese stator. They are different and please by all means do not take my word for it. Google it or call BD for some schooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
so, aside from the price, how exactly are they "clearly" not the same?

when you go up in altitude, the O2 gets less, so you need to let more in. hence the opened up air box.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote