ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #15691
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
Nice try.

Everything I've had back at BD is because I broke it. There was a guy on one of the forums a few years ago who had the motor go out on his BD electric starter and they sent him another one. Period. So I don't really know people who've had problems with BD customer service.

I had it shown to me at a shop when I was buying a stator and they insisted I get mine Honda stator rewound at BD.

There are guys who will go with the cheaper option no matter what you are one of those guys Ron so it's useless information to you. We simply do not maintain our bikes the same way. You are not as bothered as I am by stuff breaking when I am out using it be that a boat, bike, or car.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
I think I understand that you have had great customer service with Baja Designs. They've even replaced parts for you, with you only paying for value of the parts. But I didn't read where you had any facts that prove that BD stators are better than Ricky Stators. About all I get from your post is no mention of RS failures, only BD failures. So while you may believe that Baja Designs stuff is better, all you've proved is that you like their customer service and you like stopping by their shop and giving them your money. And I have a Baja Designs stator, by the way.

And if the shit hits the fan with either lighting coil, your day isn't over. As long as the ignition coil is still working, the bike will still run without lights. Works for me.

As for the vented plate issue, yes there are altitudes where it's still wide open. Utah and Colorado come to mind. Rode the XRR to Utah myself. Sad to say that I suffered more than the bike with the lack of O2. I'll agree that without some dyno time with exhaust gas analyzer feedback, just bolting on an exhaust and sidecover will not necessarily give you extra ponies.
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #15692
dohcfox
meh
 
dohcfox's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 139
Bump,

I'm still waiting for your real world examples of RS stator failures.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!
__________________
Ser decente no cuesta un culo y queda uno putamente bien!
dohcfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #15693
seabee1
we build, we fight
 
seabee1's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Everything I've had back at BD is because I broke it. There was a guy on one of the forums a few years ago who had the motor go out on his BD electric starter and they sent him another one. Period. So I don't really know people who've had problems with BD customer service.

I had it shown to me at a shop when I was buying a stator and they insisted I get mine Honda stator rewound at BD.

There are guys who will go with the cheaper option no matter what you are one of those guys Ron so it's useless information to you. We simply do not maintain our bikes the same way. You are not as bothered as I am by stuff breaking when I am out using it be that a boat, bike, or car.
So, again, you mention bd stuff breaking. But if they replace their defective parts everything's ok and it's a great product. Now I get it.

__________________
"If guns cause crime, then all of mine are defective." Ted Nugent

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #15694
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
So, by your thinking, if someone was climbing Everest all they'd need to get more O2 into their lungs is a bigger mouth?
.
No, my point is there's a restriction, minimize that and it runs better, the higher you go the richer it runs, if you can't see that lessening that restriction will help than I just need to shut up. Pretty hard to dispute back to back comparisons that occur moments apart.

It's just my opinion but I know what works for me.

BD rewinds the Honda stator, quality is determined by the company doing the rewind, same with the RS stuff, it may come from china, that doesn't automatically equal poor quality. I would agree with you if there was a history of failures in their units, I don't see it. In fact I've got on on an xr400 that's stator is on it's second bike. Is bd better, possibly, is the RS stuff crap, no. Because I use RS components does that mean you maintain your bike better, hardly.
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS

RideFreak screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 09:07 PM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #15695
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
BLAH BLAH BLAH
Nice try? Did you not understand my questions? And where do starters fall into this particular discussion? I'll paraphrase what I said earlier. You like Baja Designs Customer Service (not relevant to the quality of Ricky Stator, by the way, only YOU brought it up). You claim Ricky Stators fail more than Baja Designs stators....show some stats. Pretty pretty please.

And somehow because I call you out on this, now I'm cheap? How does this relate to the questions asked of your statements regarding the quality of Ricky Stator stators? You do remember that you made statements regarding quality of particular vendors, and people like me asked you to prove it, right? I happen to have a Baja Designs stator on my bike (reading comprehension, try it ). I haven't had a stator fail on any of my bikes, so there is no evidence that I am NOT bothered by that. But I'm cheap because I asked you to prove your statements?

Nice mud slinging.
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner

Cpt. Ron screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 09:30 PM Reason: Emphasis...
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:40 PM   #15696
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
So try this new thing call "Google"!

Since a list of people I know wouldn't be a valid sample use Google. Really?

https://www.google.com/search?q=prob...ient=firefox-a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcfox View Post
Bump,

I'm still waiting for your real world examples of RS stator failures.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #15697
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
i agree on that

But I am thinking that because the air is less dense the same volume of air will be drawn through the same intake filter with less restriction. Wouldn't that mean there would be a faster/quicker pass thru for the same volume of air? The volumes filling the airbox and the cylinder will be the same but with less air and less O2. There's no way around that without precompressing the air is there? Again, I'd have to think this through or ask someone who knows this stuff better than I to explain it to me. Perhaps that expert is you or perhaps I am more dense than the air is on this.

I agree on the quality of stuff with China. You can get stuff at the level of quality Boeing uses or you can get shit or anything inbetween. My understanding is that Ricky Stator's market position from the beginning when there still was a Ricky is to sell stators cheaper than Honda/Yamaha/etc. Since they will never beat OEMs on volume they have to find another way. What other way is there other than cheaper components? I did not ask what delta is on the life of these things.

The guys who told me this are guys I trust and guys I've not yet seen wrong about any of this stuff on this bike so I believe them. There has been several times I have tried to buy stuff from them that I thought I needed and they told me I didn't need them and why. So they have alot of integrity with me. I don't think they drink the OEM or Honda or BD Kool-Aid either. Not to repeat myself but when I went in for a stator I asked for the RS because I was spending alot of cabbage and it was adding up. So some of the work I put off, some of the parts I waited to find used, and some I asked about getting a cheaper version - like RS. That is when the conversation happened and like four guys in the shop chimed in and all had their stories about why BD was the only way they'd go. If they'd sold me the Ricky Stator they'd have made money off the deal and instead they talked me into the BD stator and made nothing. Later I ran it all past a relative who is an electrical engineer who works daily with Japan and China and he explained to me how money would be easily saved on making a stator by using cheaper metals, cheaper copper, cheaper...

Also, the tone of my remarks toward some fuktard are not the tone I'd use with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
No, my point is there's a restriction, minimize that and it runs better, the higher you go the richer it runs, if you can't see that lessening that restriction will help than I just need to shut up. Pretty hard to dispute back to back comparisons that occur moments apart.

It's just my opinion but I know what works for me.

BD rewinds the Honda stator, quality is determined by the company doing the rewind, same with the RS stuff, it may come from china, that doesn't automatically equal poor quality. I would agree with you if there was a history of failures in their units, I don't see it. In fact I've got on on an xr400 that's stator is on it's second bike. Is bd better, possibly, is the RS stuff crap, no. Because I use RS components does that mean you maintain your bike better, hardly.

bump screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 10:31 PM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #15698
bump
COLOR ME GONE
 
bump's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 713
Lol

You must be relieved finally being able to uncoil that arm.

Someone else brought up the great customer service of RS as a adantage for him beacause he was able to speak with the owner when he called. I agree that is a worthy benefit. My point in the example of the starter, which was either on this forum or the Yahoo Group, is to offer examples of my experience with BD also having great customer service. Here's another. BD sells their dual sport bikini fairings without the lights to a guy in San Diego who builds a better light and competes with BD. BD stills allows the guy to do it. So that seems pretty friendly to me. Again, more examples. I took an 8" racelight off a buggy in there three months ago and it was covered in mud. I just wanted the parts I needed to make it work again. The light disappeared into the shop and ten minutes later out came my light completely rebuilt - and clean. Not ice clean but very clean. Charged for nothing but parts plus got a tip that the lights wrre worth keeping because they had German internals and not all their race lights do.

You are cheap. I'm pretty certain I've heard you state that more than once in more than one context. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing twice about your story of buying a well used motorcycle and then right off having the throttle cable seize in the open position and only stopping when a building wouldn't budge. One of the times you remarked about the money you saved on cables didn't quite cover the Titanium in your wrist or shoulder or something your broke hitting the force field of the building. On top of that, I'm pretty certain I've called you cheap before and more than once on various issues from selling you stuff to competing with you for parts in the flea market here.

Why is it relevant here? Because I think you place a higher value on saving money on stuff than I do because you are less bothered by shit breaking down on rides and/or you are alot more confident about your abilities to fashion some sort of fix to get home than I am about confident about my skills. Why do you do it that way? How else can you afford to have ten motorcycles? And for fuk's sake Ron, we had this exact conversation about 550 jet skis.

If I wanted to sling mud, and I have, I have the most being clear and direct...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Nice try? Did you not understand my questions? And where do starters fall into this particular discussion? I'll paraphrase what I said earlier. You like Baja Designs Customer Service (not relevant to the quality of Ricky Stator, by the way, only YOU brought it up). You claim Ricky Stators fail more than Baja Designs stators....show some stats. Pretty pretty please.

And somehow because I call you out on this, now I'm cheap? How does this relate to the questions asked of your statements regarding the quality of Ricky Stator stators? You do remember that you made statements regarding quality of particular vendors, and people like me asked you to prove it, right? I happen to have a Baja Designs stator on my bike (reading comprehension, try it ). I haven't had a stator fail on any of my bikes, so there is no evidence that I am NOT bothered by that. But I'm cheap because I asked you to prove your statements?

Nice mud slinging.

bump screwed with this post 01-04-2013 at 10:38 PM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #15699
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater
 
RideFreak's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: County Lockup, NM
Oddometer: 5,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
But I am thinking that because the air is less dense the same volume of air will be drawn through the same intake filter with less restriction. Wouldn't that mean there would be a faster/quicker pass thru for the same volume of air? The volumes filling the airbox and the cylinder will be the same but with less air and less O2. There's no way around that without precompressing the air is there? Again, I'd have to think this through or ask someone who knows this stuff better than I to explain it to me. Perhaps that expert is you or perhaps I am more dense than the air is on this.

Also, the tone of my remarks toward some fuktard are not the tone I'd use with you.
I'm agreeing to disagree, like I said this is my opinion, I know what my expierence has been with both companies (both have been good) you obviously like bd, have had good dealings with them just as many of us have with RS. Is one product, (stator) substantially better, I don't think so, lots of users on this particular forum with excellent results from the RS products. So rather than discredit someone's product, it might be better to emphasize why "you" prefer a particular item.

As for the vents, all I can say is you need to try them back to back , I know what Bruce said, I've heard it before and I'm not trying to discredit his statement. I have direct expierence with both configurations and I stand behind my initial observation. You can take that for what it's worth.
__________________
Chris
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
CL Adventure Ride 2013 /CL Revisited 2014 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / MY VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #15700
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle
 
bill pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Rockford, Wa
Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Since a list of people I know wouldn't be a valid sample use Google. Really?

https://www.google.com/search?q=prob...ient=firefox-a
If you would bother to read those you would see they are at least "mostly" (I didn't read every one) people that didn't know what they were doing messing up the wiring on their own machines. And then blaming their own incompetence on the part they just installed incorrectly.

People should either educate themselves before doing a conversion or leave it to someone who does it for a living.

Statements like "I will go Baja for cleaner power" tell me that some clearly don't even know how a stator works.
__________________
____________________________________________
bikes
BMW R1100s,destroyed by deer strike.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #15701
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com
 
DocAxeYarYar's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 781
Flogging my XR650R on TX and NM border.

Awesome Christmas ride, Dog Canyon


















__________________
My XR650R Build:
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php?topic=2748.0
DocAxeYarYar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #15702
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
More BLAH BLAH BLAH
Pat, you sure are good at bringing personal issues into a forum discussion that doesn't want or deserve it. If you have problems with me, fine. That was just between you and me, and I wrote you off a long time ago. But to make statements here about various vendors without backing proof, and then ignoring requests for such proof and instead just slinging mud, that says more about your character than I ever have here on Advrider (which I recall has not happened). And slinging more crap with mis-information about me and my circumstances just adds icing to the cake. Go back and read what I wrote, it was never personal. You made it personal.

Thank you for providing the google link to your "facts" about the Ricky Stator failures on an XR650R. That search shows at least one issue back in '06. Know those guys? When you said that Ricky Stators had a lot of failures a while back, and we all called you on it, we hoped that you had some backing for it. I guess since you read it on the internet via google, it must be true. Yup, we're all just a bunch of cheap fucktards here.

P.S. Similar google results if you change "Ricky Stator" to "Baja Designs", by the way.
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #15703
Sean-0
straya carnt
 
Sean-0's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Mumblebum Northern NSW
Oddometer: 4,299
Great pics Buell ....nice place to ride ...bit hot over here atm to do much riding ..tho i did thump out 3200kms in a few days to visit my dad up the coast

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #15704
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZXRaziel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
BD rewinds the stator, for years I have heard they are better. True I dont know?

Stator Rewind, XR650R

12-6012








Stator comes stock with 4 of the 10 potential poles wound with a lighting coil.We rewind these stators as dual-outputs of 125w per output(2 lighting coils instead of 1) for 250w total.When run with one of our dual-sport kits,one output is used to power the headlight exclusively on its own AC circuit.The remaining output is used to charge the battery and power the rest of the kit.If you have a new dual sport kit you must also order a relay.Requires left side case modification to make room for the beefed up coils. Does not require a flywheel puller.Dry stator.





Ricky stator, I have had in my bike for ten years maybe 35,000+ miles. smells bad but still works. and I did pack my stock stator in my gear bag for the first few months.

both are good if i do it again, I will go Baja for cleaner power. I have never thought the power from the ricky is clean down low in the rpm's.
Bert
Sorry i am not good at explayning my self properly , what i meant was that you can buy The OEM stator or Ricky Stator , you cannot buy anything else , or you can have the hassle of sending YOUR OWN stator to XR's only , BD , ... not for me thank you . I am getting the RS as i have never heard of single failure , that means they cannot be that bad . And i agree that BD are top notch company and what they sell its great stuff , if they sell stator for the BRP i would buy it without doubt , but i am not sending my oem stator away , i use the bike all the time and i want it as a backup in case the chinese RS goes wrong
__________________
good things them hondas
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #15705
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer
 
ZXRaziel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Grey skyes and rain of Good old England ( NEast)
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
If you would bother to read those you would see they are at least "mostly" (I didn't read every one) people that didn't know what they were doing messing up the wiring on their own machines. And then blaming their own incompetence on the part they just installed incorrectly.

People should either educate themselves before doing a conversion or leave it to someone who does it for a living.

Statements like "I will go Baja for cleaner power" tell me that some clearly don't even know how a stator works.
This ^^^
__________________
good things them hondas
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014