Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #15736
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Getting ready to sell a few xr parts if anyone is interested, figured to let you guys know prior to offering them up to the masses.

SPAL Fan with inline thermostat

25l Aquiline tank

HRC exhaust insert

Under Carb battery holder

Pm if interested
PM sent on battery holder

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure SOLD
'05 Honda XR650R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #15737
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 602
Here's what Giant Loop has to say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie
I plan to purcchase a set of Mojavi bags for my XR650R this week. I was asking the guys on the XR-R thread about the Mojavi and if a heat shield was necessary. I was concerned that the right side plastic might be pressed too closely against the stock muffler once the Mojavi bags are mounted.

One guy responded that a heat shield comes with the bags at time of purchase. Is a heat shield infact included with the Mojavi bags?

Thanks,
Matt in Michigan

Hi Matt,

The larger saddlebags and panniers include Hot Springs Heat Shields, but the MoJavi Saddlebag does not. It is available as an accessory upgrade.

Do you need it? We think it's cheap insurance against destroying your side panels and/or saddlebag. Although your mighty XR has more substantial plastics than most current production bikes, the concerns are: the weight of gear sagging the side panel into the exhaust; and in the event of a tip-over, the bag/side panel being pressed into direct contact with the exhaust.

Would you mind sharing this info with our fellow XR650R riders?

Thanks for riding Giant Loop,
Harold
Need my knees in the breeze through the trees.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #15738
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a throttle tube sleeve with an aggressive lobe?
Ive found ones like motion pro with stock lobes but i want aggressive ones/quicker snappier acceleration to suit my xrr motard setup.

cheers
G2. You can tune them by using different cams to get whatever you want, from mild to violent. Had one on my SM XRR with an FCR and it was holy-shit-hold-on.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #15739
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie
I plan to purcchase a set of Mojavi bags for my XR650R this week. I was asking the guys on the XR-R thread about the Mojavi and if a heat shield was necessary. I was concerned that the right side plastic might be pressed too closely against the stock muffler once the Mojavi bags are mounted.

One guy responded that a heat shield comes with the bags at time of purchase. Is a heat shield infact included with the Mojavi bags?

Thanks,
Matt in Michigan

Hi Matt,

The larger saddlebags and panniers include Hot Springs Heat Shields, but the MoJavi Saddlebag does not. It is available as an accessory upgrade.

Do you need it? We think it's cheap insurance against destroying your side panels and/or saddlebag. Although your mighty XR has more substantial plastics than most current production bikes, the concerns are: the weight of gear sagging the side panel into the exhaust; and in the event of a tip-over, the bag/side panel being pressed into direct contact with the exhaust.

Would you mind sharing this info with our fellow XR650R riders?

Thanks for riding Giant Loop,
Harold

My side panel is damaged from not using it. Not a huge deal because mine isn't a garage queen, but in hind site I would have put it on.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #15740
dhaynes
Alpha geek

Oddometer: 1,150
Rear shock: rebuild or replace?

The guys who work on my bikes were being generous in saying the rear shock on my '06 "could use a little help". It's pretty much shot.

From the sound of it, rebuilding isn't that much cheaper than replacing it when you factor in parts and labor.

What's the general consensus? Rebuild, replace with stock, replace with aftermarket?

In this case it's a fat old guy who let's it rip/does some serious single track every once in a while, but mostly just riding on dirt roads and ATV trails. I'm more interested in good performance/good feedback than cushy/comfy. I don't need fancy, I do want low maintenance.

I searched the thread and the only things I found were references to the Bornyack site and the file on the rear shock doesn't seem to be available now :(

Any thoughts/links/experiences/disabusing appreciated.
dhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #15741
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
G2. You can tune them by using different cams to get whatever you want, from mild to violent. Had one on my SM XRR with an FCR and it was holy-shit-hold-on.
Thanks for the info.
I went on theyre site to have a look and perhaps order but they have no listing for a honda xr650r.
They have the G2 stock throttle with stock cam and in the add says you are able to buy optional cam lobes, and when you try to add a optional cam it doesnt list the xrr in there, only crf's.

The G2 quick turn throttle doesnt list the xrr at all.

So im confused at how you got yours working? did you maybe buy a honda crf450r/x model and modify it or bought the G2 stock throttle tube to suit xrr and then seperatly bought a cam to suit crf's?or how? otherwise if a crf model fitted they would surely have the xrr in the list!

cheers
mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #15742
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
I'd have PC or some place good rebuild it and re-valve/spring to suit your needs. It'll be mechanically about as good as new and functionally much better. Stock shock valving while tolerable isn't great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post
The guys who work on my bikes were being generous in saying the rear shock on my '06 "could use a little help". It's pretty much shot.

From the sound of it, rebuilding isn't that much cheaper than replacing it when you factor in parts and labor.

What's the general consensus? Rebuild, replace with stock, replace with aftermarket?

In this case it's a fat old guy who let's it rip/does some serious single track every once in a while, but mostly just riding on dirt roads and ATV trails. I'm more interested in good performance/good feedback than cushy/comfy. I don't need fancy, I do want low maintenance.

I searched the thread and the only things I found were references to the Bornyack site and the file on the rear shock doesn't seem to be available now :(

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #15743
kaijb
ianb

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaynes View Post

I had the same problem and for less than the cost of an upgrade I did this;

Purchased a CR500 shock for $100. Pulled it apart and threw away the spring and the shaft. Kept the top half.

Purchased a 1998 YZ250 shock for $50 and removed the valve (it is exactly the same as a CR500 Gold Valve)

Using the shaft and standard spring from the XRR, (and Bornyack's Baja shim stck suggestion) I took all the parts and specs to the shock builder who assembled it, oiled and gassed for $120.

It takes a while to collect the bits but it is a superior shock with high and low speed dampening as well as 1" higher. Google 'XR650r' hybrid shock and 'CR500 shock with YZ valve.' All the info will be there and you will learn something. You also do not need a heavier spring.

Or pay someone whatever to you can spend.
kaijb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #15744
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,955
Rumor is RF is leaving us...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Getting ready to sell a few xr parts if anyone is interested, figured to let you guys know prior to offering them up to the masses.

SPAL Fan with inline thermostat Sold

25l Aquiline tank

HRC exhaust insert

Under Carb battery holder Sold

Pm if interested
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #15745
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
Thanks for the info.
I went on theyre site to have a look and perhaps order but they have no listing for a honda xr650r.
They have the G2 stock throttle with stock cam and in the add says you are able to buy optional cam lobes, and when you try to add a optional cam it doesnt list the xrr in there, only crf's.

The G2 quick turn throttle doesnt list the xrr at all.

So im confused at how you got yours working? did you maybe buy a honda crf450r/x model and modify it or bought the G2 stock throttle tube to suit xrr and then seperatly bought a cam to suit crf's?or how? otherwise if a crf model fitted they would surely have the xrr in the list!

cheers
Sorry, I was running an FCR carb and a CRF throttle tube/housing. Didn't think about that. But you might call and ask them?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #15746
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
A week late to the party, but I thought I'd chime in on my stator experience. A year ago I was switching my all DC (VSM Warness, best purchase ever!) bike over to an AC/DC setup with an AC headlight. I had hell getting it to work and finally spent 20 minutes on the phone with Baja Designs and my Fluke. One of the 125W leads was toasted which explained why I could never get the headlight to work. He said to send it back for a rewind at full price.

I ordered a Ricky the next day and never looked back. Everybody makes a dud now and then.
cdogg44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #15747
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Handlebars need straightening

Inmates,

I tool a mild fall yesterday and now my handlebars are cocked about 2" to the right for the wheel to run straight.

Is the jamb nut below the center of the bars the only one that needs loosening to straighten the bars?

Thanks for your time and input.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #15748
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
No,the fork tubes have twisted in the triple clamps
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #15749
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
So in general, just loosen the tubes in the clamps to straighten the handlebars? Anything else I might want to look at?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #15750
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
trial and error as far as getting it perfect unless you have a way to clamp the front wheel straight while you sit on bike and tweek the bars.I'm sure there are other ways but this is what has worked for me.
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote