Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #15841
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Picked up my first XRR a couple of weeks ago and am in the process of cleaning it up and fixing anything I find that needs attention. Any other suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Fix the right foot peg. If you ride at night, dump the stock light and go HID.
Strip it to the frame and engine. Check the clutch bushing, check the timing chain, camshaft, tappets and the valve ends.
Wash everything and put it back togeder with lots of grease.
Get yourself a beer-buddy with extensive knowledge of the piggy, get a lot of beer and knock yourself out . I do this two times every year.

This was my first guide: http://www.xr650r.us/issues/

achile screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 12:49 AM
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #15842
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrtrippin View Post
Its possible to shear the woodruff key and throw the timing way off. Bought a bike with this problem.

For some reason to me it sounds like the ignition timing is off since it is back firing. I'm not sure but I think the piggy is a lost spark system ( fires every revolution) so i don't think it is possible to time the engine 360degrees off.

Yip, spark every revolution - anyone with a Trailtech computer should know this.

I also was thinking about 'off timing', although a bit unlikely I think. The XRR fires (on kicking) at precisely TDC, the CDI starts to advance at crank speeds higher than by kicking it round.
"Too early" (before TDC) would cause kickbacks causing the decomp to act. Snorting into the exhaust, plus maybe coughing back into the airbox. If no decomp-system present (non-std cam but for the genuine HRC) then it might break a leg/foot, but notice you fooken will!
"Too late" would cause normal starting & running but just a bit lousy, unless of course when it is heaps off the mark.

Off-timing could be caused either by a worn/damaged key-match, or the trailing edge of the welded-on plate (rectangular protrusion) on the rotor/flywheel is damaged. Both not common problems - but maybe worth checking if Ist got it off anyway?
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #15843
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,900
what's the distance on the OEM oil dipstick from the bottom of the threads to the "HIgh" oil level, maybe the "LOW" oil level too? My XR-R came with an oil sight tube, I don't have the original dipstick so I'm not sure where the oil should be in the tube? I thought I'd put a couple marks on the frame for when I forget a couple years from now.

My XR with the new 19" I built (I have a "like new" OEM 21 rim and spokes if anyone needs it)

PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #15844
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
what's the distance on the OEM oil dipstick from the bottom of the threads to the "HIgh" oil level, maybe the "LOW" oil level too? My XR-R came with an oil sight tube, I don't have the original dipstick so I'm not sure where the oil should be in the tube? I thought I'd put a couple marks on the frame for when I forget a couple years from now.

My XR with the new 19" I built (I have a "like new" OEM 21 rim and spokes if anyone needs it)

Here is a pic for you. Hi and low marks are black ink marked on the steel oil return tube next to the clear sight tube.These correspond to the marks on the dipstick.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #15845
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
I also was thinking about 'off timing'...

And I was thinking I'll send my bony to you for it's next pre-big trip check over..

Learning a lot here, thanks "Bart-bek"
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #15846
Adamco2
Part time adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Thanks Kiko- The footpeg has already been done and I'm hoping to be able to afford an 8" light before June.

Achile- I'm hoping to have the time for a complete disassembly. What am I looking for with the cam chain? Is it stretch? How do you tell?

Thanks,

Adam
Adamco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #15847
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
My XR with the new 19" I built

Very nice clean xrr you have there
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #15848
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamco2 View Post
Thanks Kiko- The footpeg has already been done and I'm hoping to be able to afford an 8" light before June.

Achile- I'm hoping to have the time for a complete disassembly. What am I looking for with the cam chain? Is it stretch? How do you tell?

Thanks,

Adam
The cam chain is very resiliant. It may stretch over time.(60 k km+)
The problem is that I found two pigs with seized links, but they were sitting around for a while.
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #15849
Adamco2
Part time adventurer

Oddometer: 130
The problem is that I found two pigs with seized links, but they were sitting around for a while.[/QUOTE]

Got it. Worth a look. Thanks.
Adamco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #15850
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
Here is a pic for you. Hi and low marks are black ink marked on the steel oil return tube next to the clear sight tube.These correspond to the marks on the dipstick.
Uhh, sorry, yay & nay Hontri.
When I saw that pic my first thought was "No way!!", and went checking - erm, correct, 'scuse me Squire
Your markers however correspond to the "correct" level and the "end-of-dipstick" level - and calling the latter the 'low' mark is somewhat misleading I think.
I'd regard "low" about where the cabletie is in your pic, and when mine is there it most certainly will get a slosh of oil added - this is (very roughly) halfway the height of the steering stem, in fact I would say this is a "too low" mark already.
But PineyMR, a sight tube makes life a damn site simpler - add oil if it's not at the 'normal' mark rather than waiting until you can't see it anymore during riding. The correct qty of oil also keeps the oil hence engine cooler, pls keep in mind that the ali frame acts as a (very good) oil-cooler.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #15851
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,142
plus 1 ...what BuRPsa said

remembering oil level will drop when on the fly so i have a mark for on the fly full ....a mark for needs oil when stopped and a mark for full

best thing to add to any xrr ...i also carry 2 bolts as backup of god forbid the line splits or a fitting works loose

easy to wind out the fitting and then install the bolts to get you home
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #15852
creedyflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Too much fun!!
creedyflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #15853
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Odd post but hear me out - and YES, this most certainly is Pig-related.

Anyone knows of one or some of these, an oldish travel mug?

Similar things, pref plastic wanted, and if at all possible with a Green Bay Packers logo.
If you know one or some then contact Focker, administrator/site-owner of http://www.xr650rforum.com
Check his post: http://www.xr650rforum.com/t1672-nee...of-these#10055

I've never seen these things but he's a good dude, so go help him if you can?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #15854
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Odd post but hear me out - and YES, this most certainly is Pig-related.

Anyone knows of one or some of these, an oldish travel mug?

Similar things, pref plastic wanted, and if at all possible with a Green Bay Packers logo.
If you know one or some then contact Focker, administrator/site-owner of http://www.xr650rforum.com
Check his post: http://www.xr650rforum.com/t1672-nee...of-these#10055

I've never seen these things but he's a good dude, so go help him if you can?
EBay has a few if you search"post toasties mug" on Ebay.com. I'm not a member of that forum so can't access his post.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #15855
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
Appreciate the pic, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
Very nice clean xrr you have there
Bought it last summer from an inmate in Memphis, he had it set up for dual sporting and I'm using it more for road, and with the 19 front I plan to use it for a few track days.

Quote:
Uhh, sorry, yay & nay Hontri.
When I saw that pic my first thought was "No way!!", and went checking - erm, correct, 'scuse me Squire
Your markers however correspond to the "correct" level and the "end-of-dipstick" level - and calling the latter the 'low' mark is somewhat misleading I think.
I'd regard "low" about where the cabletie is in your pic, and when mine is there it most certainly will get a slosh of oil added - this is (very roughly) halfway the height of the steering stem, in fact I would say this is a "too low" mark already.
But PineyMR, a sight tube makes life a damn site simpler - add oil if it's not at the 'normal' mark rather than waiting until you can't see it anymore during riding. The correct qty of oil also keeps the oil hence engine cooler, pls keep in mind that the ali frame acts as a (very good) oil-cooler.
Yeah, without seeing an actual XRR dip stick, I thought the bottom mark was a little low ( compared to my DRZ and other dirt bikes). I can see the oil level while I'm going down the road, but I'm getting ready for another oil change, so I'll be sure and mark the full level right away, and keep it there as much as possible.
PineyMountainRacing is online now   Reply With Quote