Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #15931
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,431
3.2 kgs v 1.1 kgs .. but the 1.1 was just the ally sub no chainroller and bracket

so 2 kilo's more there abouts .. marginal to say the least ..if your loading up a bike ....i would rather have a heavy sub and make the trip or 2kgs less and maybe not make it home

there's aprox 40 hrs in making the first frame .. lets hope the hard work has been done .. test fit it tomorrow then off to the pwdr coaters ...then the real world testing starts
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #15932
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
so 2 kilo's more there abouts .. marginal to say the least ..
Saved more than that by getting rid of the OEM and fitting an Acro.

One think to consider, should your luggage be heavy, and cause failure, what will the point of failure be?

With the ally subframe, it is the subframe... Shearing the mounting points on the mainframe will be a huge issue (or not?)
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #15933
Sean-0
straya carnt

Yes that has been discussed .....indeed we thought .. but i would be inclined to think the bolt would shear b4 the mainframe ..by adding the plate it will take most of the sideways flex out we hope and thus a more ridged fixing

it will make it alot user friendly when adding panniers or a rear rack os\f some sort ..trail side repairs possible if they do fail

i think to bust the backbone of the frame out it would be an almighty crash and tail slap ..of wich the ally frame would also be in the poo but if you bust the bolt out of the backbone . wouldnt be riding home anyways .. think me be in a chopper or ambo
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #15934
Beserker
Red Rider

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
.....indeed we thought ..
And....what was the experiance like

Quote:
..but i would be inclined to think the bolt would shear b4 the mainframe ..
Got a point, maybe not make the bolt to too high a grade.
Beserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 AM   #15935
Sean-0
straya carnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by beserker View Post
and....what was the experiance like
it hurt

got a point, maybe not make the bolt to too high a grade.

Eggzachery
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 AM   #15936
Henderson757
Adventure~Rugby

Oddometer: 410
NEw XR Owner

Just picked this Bad girl up. . . Needed alittle TLC but she cleaned up well. . Now just to order new springs. Im way to heavy for the stock suspension. Need like a 11.5 or 12 for the rear and the heavest I can find in the front is .49

anybody have suggestion on where to order springs? Racetech?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #15937
supernick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
This is a heavy bike. It's my bike.

supernick screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 12:10 PM
supernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #15938
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Yea, but you're making the Yammer and the Suzy? look bad!

Nice work.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #15939
Mur
Wheee!

Oddometer: 21
Spring Rates...lol

I know this is beating a dead horse,but I need some opinions on what spring rates to use. I weigh 185 i'm 6'5" and I plan on packing some lightweight things in my coyote saddle bags... I have stock springs in there, and I want to do all the Borynack fork mods, with the shim stacks etc. I'm just torn on what spring rates to use. Should I spring it for the added weight of my gear(40-60lbs?) and oversized tank(4.3)? I was thinking of going with .45 in the front and 10.5 or 10.2 in the back?

Any help appreciated!
Mur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #15940
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
I know this is beating a dead horse,but I need some opinions on what spring rates to use. I weigh 185 i'm 6'5" and I plan on packing some lightweight things in my coyote saddle bags... I have stock springs in there, and I want to do all the Borynack fork mods, with the shim stacks etc. I'm just torn on what spring rates to use. Should I spring it for the added weight of my gear(40-60lbs?) and oversized tank(4.3)? I was thinking of going with .45 in the front and 10.5 or 10.2 in the back?

Any help appreciated!

Now... it's been awhile, but I THINK i have a 10.5 in my rear and I used to weigh as much as you... No idea where I got the extra 15lbs recently...

Either way, I think the rear is a bit low. I'd probably go 11 or 11.5 now with the matching front springs. I have a Acerbis 6.3, Race light, and carry 40-70lbs of luggage semi regularily. I weight 200, 6'4" + gear

For the front, you can play around with with a spacer / cut spring till you know. Once again, my suspension never or rarely bottoms, but it's a bit too soft for my liking and when I load her up with fuel and lugage it's sagging more then I want. It still rides quite well though. I need to play around with it more but i"m looking for a big boy rear spring and forks springs though.

With that said, size your weight, your gear, half to 3/4 of your fuel, and consider luggage weight. Then base your decision on this.

If you want a 10.5 I think I have an extra one in my garage.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #15941
Mur
Wheee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Now... it's been awhile, but I THINK i have a 10.5 in my rear and I used to weigh as much as you... No idea where I got the extra 15lbs recently...

Either way, I think the rear is a bit low. I'd probably go 11 or 11.5 now with the matching front springs. I have a Acerbis 6.3, Race light, and carry 40-70lbs of luggage semi regularily. I weight 200, 6'4" + gear

For the front, you can play around with with a spacer / cut spring till you know. Once again, my suspension never or rarely bottoms, but it's a bit too soft for my liking and when I load her up with fuel and lugage it's sagging more then I want. It still rides quite well though. I need to play around with it more but i"m looking for a big boy rear spring and forks springs though.

With that said, size your weight, your gear, half to 3/4 of your fuel, and consider luggage weight. Then base your decision on this.

If you want a 10.5 I think I have an extra one in my garage.
Thank you this is just the response I needed. Maybe I will go with stiffer springs to include the luggage weight and fuel. Probably .47// 11. I'm just wondering if it will be too stiff if I take the luggage off and wanna go rally her.

How much you want for that 10.5?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #15942
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post

Any help appreciated!
Go to: racetech.com

They have an application that gives you an idea of what spring rates you need.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #15943
Mur
Wheee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
Go to: racetech.com

They have an application that gives you an idea of what spring rates you need.
Borynack states that those spring rates are based on a computer program that calculates the rates for use on a MX track. AKA stiffer than needed for normal riding. Maybe that's what i need though?
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #15944
supernick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I am sorry. I do not know where to place. Russian song about MX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YHZd5v192Mc
supernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #15945
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,401
I replaced my counter sprocket with a 15T tonite. I didn't notice if the stock one had any slop in it, but the new one does. Not "in and out" but a tiny bit of "side to side" slop. I can always put the original one back on and check, but I know plenty of you all's have done it already. Normal, right?
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote