Oddometer: 3,956

the new subframe steal and then powdercoated

then installed like a glove ..fits like stock

Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #15992
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
^ Nice. Any specs on price, weight, who made it?

I just tore mine down to do suspension bearings, found a small crack starting at the subframe welds. It surprised me, as I've never had luggage back there and both owners of the bike have been smaller. I'm 150lbs, the original owner was maybe 180 or so. I'm going to drive around tomorrow with it and try to find a welder to do it. I've never paid for welding, as both me and my dad are X-ray certified welders on mild steel and stainless.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #15993
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 290
Beautiful job on the subframe Sean-O.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #15994
Noprogram
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 78
Wow great looking subframe Sean-O! I got one of the Globetrottin versions to try out....should take some of the worry out of loading the XRR's up. What kind of pannier system are you going to use?

"If you're going to be stupid you better be tough"

Noprogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #15995
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 65
XR Longevity

Been absent from ADVrider for a while. Saw some previous posts where engine longevity was discussed. I just completed a 8k km trip across Australia last October on a well used (but well kept) XR650R. I bought it not really knowing the true mileage on the motor as I am the 3rd or 4th owner. Several boxes of OEM parts came with the bike when I bought it last April. One week before I left on my trip, I decided to sell/give away all of the extra OEM parts that I'd never need again as I was leaving Australia for some time. I came across the OEM speedo in a box. The odometer read 29,xxxkm's! Add that to the 16,xxxkm's indicated on the Trailtech Endurance That's exactly what I wanted to find out mere days before leaving on a long solo trip I have no evidence that my motor has ever been apart, so if that's the case, I've now got about 60k km's on it. Still runs fine, burns a tad bit of oil during high speed runs but I think it's getting soft. Doesn't take as much effort to kick it over as I initially remember and it doesn't wheelie like I remember. Of course, that could be due to the 15-41 gearing it's got on it too. Top-end rebuild in the future at a minimum, including new valves and perhaps a cam upgrade.

Teaser Pics:

Ride report is in the making - stay tuned!

Happy Riding All
1991 Yamaha WR250Z
1973 Yamaha AT3 125 Enduro
RyanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #15996
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
^ Nice. Any specs on price, weight, who made it?

I just tore mine down to do suspension bearings, found a small crack starting at the subframe welds. It surprised me, as I've never had luggage back there and both owners of the bike have been smaller. I'm 150lbs, the original owner was maybe 180 or so. I'm going to drive around tomorrow with it and try to find a welder to do it. I've never paid for welding, as both me and my dad are X-ray certified welders on mild steel and stainless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noprogram View Post
Wow great looking subframe Sean-O! I got one of the Globetrottin versions to try out....should take some of the worry out of loading the XRR's up. What kind of pannier system are you going to use?
the weight is 2 kgs more than the stock frame...price are to be worked out at a later date

i cant take any credit for the subframes ... they were made by a inmate for m and a few of us.....im tryingto talk him into making some up forsale ... but untill we put them to the test later in the yr he wont sell any ..we were going to go the globetrotting frames but looking at the in detail we thought we coul do better ...and we did IMO....they look stock and are exact fit bolt for bolt ....our Australian bikes are lil different on the rear fender so the subframe has a few extra mount holes for the rear fender brace our bikes come with

i wont be useing pannier bags ... im gunna giantloop it

I will keep you guys posted on how much and when they arefor sale to the public ..if they work
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #15997
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Great looking subframe! Looks really good.

60K on the XRR engine is pretty good! Sounds like it's still working without too much issue too! I don't think you can expect too much more out of a thumper. Seems like KLR's don't make it that far, DR's require top end work around that time, and 690's are rumoured to be right fudged around 75-80 too. I can only expect Husky's, XRL's, etc are all the same.

Now if only rebuild parts were as cheap as 2-smoke dirt bikes.. =)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #15998
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Great looking subframe! Looks really good.

60K on the XRR engine is pretty good! Sounds like it's still working without too much issue too! I don't think you can expect too much more out of a thumper. Seems like KLR's don't make it that far, DR's require top end work around that time, and 690's are rumoured to be right fudged around 75-80 too. I can only expect Husky's, XRL's, etc are all the same.

Umm.... I like my XR as much as the next guy, but yeah. KLR's make it to 60K pretty easily.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #15999
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Umm.... I like my XR as much as the next guy, but yeah. KLR's make it to 60K pretty easily.
Yeah but who the hell wants a KLR? :)
Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 AM   #16000
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 65
Quote:

Yeah, I figure 60K is pretty good for anything. Now, I haven't actually verified that the motor is all stock, but I have no reason to believe that it's been tinkered with. I bet I could get another 10K out of it as is, but I'd rather have it fresh. I thought the power was excellent when I bought it and that was with 40K on it (which I found out later). It's already got a TM40 pumper, FMF power bomb and Staintune so with some new valves/piston and perhaps a stage 1 cam, it should really rip!

I can't wait until 2017 when I can finally bring it home (RIV/Import, 15 yrs + old rules et al). I don't think I can wait that long - I'm already shopping for a plated one in Canada. Know anyone trying to sell one?

I've also got about 60K on my DR350 as well. Around 40K it started to burn a lot of oil so I tore it down and did the 385cc BB on it. I've got 20K on that now and couldn't be happier with the results, however at the time, I didn't replace the valves and I regret that. I think they've finally worn out so I'll have to dive into that sometime soon.

Awesome sub-frame Sean-O! Every time I looked at the sub-frame on mine I'd think "gotta make one out of steel....."
1991 Yamaha WR250Z
1973 Yamaha AT3 125 Enduro
RyanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #16001
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:

Sorry, the 08's sure as heck don't.

At the end of the day, I also think the KLR is a bad choice. Everybody says "it can do everything", but in my opinion it's "bad at everything".

I know the KLR"s have a huge following, but the ones I rode I couldn't get off them fast enough.

My opinion of course.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #16002
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
At the end of the day, I also think the KLR is a bad choice. Everybody says "it can do everything", but in my opinion it's "bad at everything".
Jack of all trades, master of none. People see it as awesome, irritating, or both.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #16003
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Arrow push buttons?

What are the arrow button on the left hand side for?
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #16004
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I posted a few weeks ago about a leak from my oil filter cover. (leaks from the bottom left hand side near the lowest bolt)

I tried a new cover, o-ring and bolts. Still leaked. I even bought some hondabond, that does not really work either. That area just has way too much oil for a sealant. I am guessing the next step is to replace the entire right crankcase cover because it must be warped(UGH). Is this a pain in the ass job?

Anybody got any advice before I just start ordering parts?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #16005
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I posted a few weeks ago about a leak from my oil filter cover. (leaks from the bottom left hand side near the lowest bolt)

I tried a new cover, o-ring and bolts. Still leaked. I even bought some hondabond, that does not really work either. That area just has way too much oil for a sealant. I am guessing the next step is to replace the entire right crankcase cover because it must be warped(UGH). Is this a pain in the ass job?

Anybody got any advice before I just start ordering parts?

Sounds like a crack somewhere, and seeing you've replaced the cover the crankcase cover is the next suspect - I doubt it's warped. Check around the boltholes for a hairline crack, and if found you know you'll have to buy a new one.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote