Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #16006
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I can pretty clearly see the oil seep out in between the fiter cover and crankcase cover. I have taken the cover off maybe 10 times at this point. not really seeing any cracks. I will check again thanks. Is there anything I can do to the surface of the crankcase cover to get it to seal better with the oil filter cover? Man I wish the oil filter was just the screw on type! I have not been able to ride this for weeks due to this. The oil leaks out and splatters the right peg and tire. Makes right turns "interesting."

Make sure all the oil is out of the screw holes. Jam paper towel in there to soak it out. Depending on how bad the leak is, sometimes they can weep oil for awhile afterwards.

Consider that another spot where there might be a crack too.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #16007
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
Been searching and have yet to "re find" an old post here on proper procedure for fork oil changing. I have the factory manual but wanted to double check somethings from a post I saw here a while back.

Anyone have that, if it exists, bookmarked?

Any other comments on the change welcome. Done this on other bikes, just want to have as much info on the front end so I don't butcher the job.

Cheers..
Neduro does a nice write up on this forum. Just do a search in the Thumpers thread for neduro and fork oil change. Fourth or fifth one down.

Capt. Egregious screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 07:21 PM
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #16008
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Anyone have an in good shape slip on they would be willing to sell? I have had it with this R4.

Too damned loud so I put a baffle in the core, went to put it back together and the cap won't sit right and it's just a turd and I'm done with it.
PM'd ya
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #16009
smoothride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Make sure all the oil is out of the screw holes. Jam paper towel in there to soak it out. Depending on how bad the leak is, sometimes they can weep oil for awhile afterwards.

Consider that another spot where there might be a crack too.
Sounds like a cut oring or no oring is being used for it to leak.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #16010
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
Been searching and have yet to "re find" an old post here on proper procedure for fork oil changing. I have the factory manual but wanted to double check somethings from a post I saw here a while back.

Anyone have that, if it exists, bookmarked?

Any other comments on the change welcome. Done this on other bikes, just want to have as much info on the front end so I don't butcher the job.

Cheers..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=fork.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #16011
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Those are the same directions I used the first time I did my fork oil. I found them by searching and wasn't even an Advrider member yet. They're spot on!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #16012
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
shes old and had a few men before me but she just keeps on going

ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 AM   #16013
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Is there anything I can do to the surface of the crankcase cover to get it to seal better with the oil filter cover?
Yes.
Take it off, clean well. Then get a flat piece of glass (thickish is better), and you better check if it is flat with a ruler or why, use a little oil on the ruler's side. Mix a fine grinding paste with some oil, and spread this over the glass. Then place the sidecover with the filterhousing's surface square on the glass, and move the housing over the glass in an 8-shape - only a light & constant pressure is required.
The trick is to keep the lot square on the glass. Check the housing's surface, and when the full surface is ground (like in it touches the glass everywhere) it is flat, or flat enough to obtain a seal with your new filtercover.
Clean VERY well afterwards, you don't want grinding paste in your engine!

I have not checked the sidecover, but the above should work (and only will work!) if the filterhousing's surface is the most-proud part. If it's not you'll have to find a machine shop, and have the surface skimmed by an end-mill.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:47 AM   #16014
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 739
Thanks for the fork link.

Pressure treat ya!
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #16015
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothride View Post
Sounds like a cut oring or no oring is being used for it to leak.
I have tried 4 brand new o-rings that were lightly oiled and a new filter cover, plus new from honda bolts.

BuRPsa I will do what you suggest. I think that is the only way, short of replacing it. Should I use/order new gaskets for the clutch cover and between the engine and cover? Or are they reusable? Thanks again guys for all your help.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #16016
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Question Possible vent problems?

My bike stuttered and stalled, after losing power while riding aprroximately 5 miles. It seemed like it ran out of gas. Started right up on first kick then sputtered and cough for a few seconds then cleared. Drove for a few miles and the same thing happened but at least the bike did not quit. This pattern continued for 2 miles until I got it home. As I peered under my Acerbis large tank I could see tiny bubbles in the gas line hose from the tank to the carb. Tried the next day and after a 3+ miles the same thing occured, same small bubbles almost foam like. I do have a small in line filter. Any answers or similiar problems corrected from my fellow inmates would be appreciated
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #16017
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
That's strange...

I'd rule out the vents by removing and blowing them out to confirm they are clear. Next, take your fuel filter off and put fuel through it the wrong way (dumping fuel into a waste container). Confirm it flows well.

Test.

If still an issue, pop the bowl off and see if everything is clean and the float still works.

Check out the pilot jet while your in there confirming it's clean and clear. Don't go reaming it out with something, but confirm no build-up or blockage.

I can't explain the foam/bubbles because the carb isn't pressurized.

Really dumb question, but when were the valves last checked?
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #16018
jm-2008
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
[QUOTE=atravlr;20710982]My bike stuttered and stalled, after losing power while riding aprroximately 5 miles. It seemed like it ran out of gas. Started right up on first kick then sputtered and cough for a few seconds then cleared. Drove for a few miles and the same thing happened but at least the bike did not quit. This pattern continued for 2 miles until I got it home. As I peered under my Acerbis large tank I could see tiny bubbles in the gas line hose from the tank to the carb. Tried the next day and after a 3+ miles the same thing occured, same small bubbles almost foam like. I do have a small in line filter. Any answers or similiar problems corrected from my fellow inmates would be appreciated

Suspect the bubbles may be a common occurence thats not noticed, if you had a leak it would be relatively obvious.

Check the following -
  • Water in the float bowl
  • Blocked carby breather hoses
Water in the float bowl will allow the bike to start/idle but will sputter or cut out once the throttle is opened up.
Back it off again and they will (usually) idle/run.
Remove the float bowl cap carefully and have a look inside for droplets or a big globule of water rolling around in there.
Droplets often cause missing/sputtering, a big globule will stop fuel entering the mainjet and cuts the motor completely, until you back off the throttle wherein fuel is drawn in through the pilot jet.

Blocked breather hoses can cause similar issues, if the hoses are long enough snip an inch or so off the end (at an angle) and have a look through for blockages.

Note, this applies to most carbys with a float/bowl (possibly not an Eddie).
Hope it helps

JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #16019
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thumb Possible vent problems?

Thanks for the help. I did check the float bowl and no water. I will check everything else on your recommendations. Thank you men for the quick response.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #16020
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
after spending several months on dodgeforum.com, i got the pickup mods/maintenance/ideas out of the way, several months on garagejournal.com, i got the ambition to get the garage how i see better fit (only lived in the house one year) got all my ideas and a plan for the garage down. now somehow i landed back on ADV. i was twenty five pages behind, but i got all caught up and now i'm ready to go again!!! YEEHAA