Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #16006
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Sean-O: I would not stress it man, if all the bolt holes line up, and the welds are solid, that shit should be bomb proof. Start selling those things so I can buy one! I need one before my TAT trip, leaving in last weekend in Aug. So make sure i can get one
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #16007
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Sounds like a crack somewhere, and seeing you've replaced the cover the crankcase cover is the next suspect - I doubt it's warped. Check around the boltholes for a hairline crack, and if found you know you'll have to buy a new one.

Hose it down with brake cleaner, then dust the area very well with baby powder. Any leaks will become apparent. It might requiring warming the bike up, or even riding it.

Those O-rings are a pain in the ass though. I've pinched one before.

Good luck.

The above buttons on the bars appear to be a remote for an Ipod or music player. I know one guy that has an arm band control that works to wirelessly change his music while riding.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #16008
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by atravlr View Post

What are the arrow button on the left hand side for?
iJet iPod remote for my tunes. Da bomb!

See here: http://www.buyijet.com/top-products/...re-remote.html

I bought mine off of ebay. The buttons are a bit small, but other than that, I love having some kind of control for my old iPod Classic. It came with a bicycle handle bar mount that I adapted to the motorcycle bars with some black zipties and some black electrical tape for extra insurance. Not pretty but functional!

EDIT: Shibby beat me to it by 5 mins!

RyanE screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 01:17 PM
RyanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #16009
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Hose it down with brake cleaner, then dust the area very well with baby powder. Any leaks will become apparent. It might requiring warming the bike up, or even riding it.

Those O-rings are a pain in the ass though. I've pinched one before.

Good luck.

The above buttons on the bars appear to be a remote for an Ipod or music player. I know one guy that has an arm band control that works to wirelessly change his music while riding.
I can pretty clearly see the oil seep out in between the fiter cover and crankcase cover. I have taken the cover off maybe 10 times at this point. not really seeing any cracks. I will check again thanks. Is there anything I can do to the surface of the crankcase cover to get it to seal better with the oil filter cover? Man I wish the oil filter was just the screw on type! I have not been able to ride this for weeks due to this. The oil leaks out and splatters the right peg and tire. Makes right turns "interesting."
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #16010
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 699
Fork Oil Changing Post

Been searching and have yet to "re find" an old post here on proper procedure for fork oil changing. I have the factory manual but wanted to double check somethings from a post I saw here a while back.

Anyone have that, if it exists, bookmarked?

Any other comments on the change welcome. Done this on other bikes, just want to have as much info on the front end so I don't butcher the job.

Cheers..
Old 02-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #16011
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I can pretty clearly see the oil seep out in between the fiter cover and crankcase cover. I have taken the cover off maybe 10 times at this point. not really seeing any cracks. I will check again thanks. Is there anything I can do to the surface of the crankcase cover to get it to seal better with the oil filter cover? Man I wish the oil filter was just the screw on type! I have not been able to ride this for weeks due to this. The oil leaks out and splatters the right peg and tire. Makes right turns "interesting."
Permatex anarobic gasket maker. Not cheap but the best I have found.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #16012
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 654
Hinson basket up date

Part # HO172 after years of my hard use it is looking like it is ready to be replaced still working good but looks like the stock did when it went out. Today I call Hinson and talk with them and they sold me a replacement at a great deal. what a great place to deal with. at 20k miles of use the basket looked new at 35k mile not so much.

grade A+ get one you will need it at some point if you ride on the road. B
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #16013
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Anyone have an in good shape slip on they would be willing to sell? I have had it with this R4.

Too damned loud so I put a baffle in the core, went to put it back together and the cap won't sit right and it's just a turd and I'm done with it.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #16014
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post

Make sure all the oil is out of the screw holes. Jam paper towel in there to soak it out. Depending on how bad the leak is, sometimes they can weep oil for awhile afterwards.

Consider that another spot where there might be a crack too.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #16015
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
Been searching and have yet to "re find" an old post here on proper procedure for fork oil changing. I have the factory manual but wanted to double check somethings from a post I saw here a while back.

Any other comments on the change welcome. Done this on other bikes, just want to have as much info on the front end so I don't butcher the job.

Cheers..
Neduro does a nice write up on this forum. Just do a search in the Thumpers thread for neduro and fork oil change. Fourth or fifth one down.

Capt. Egregious screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 08:21 PM
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #16016
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Anyone have an in good shape slip on they would be willing to sell? I have had it with this R4.

Too damned loud so I put a baffle in the core, went to put it back together and the cap won't sit right and it's just a turd and I'm done with it.
PM'd ya
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #16017
smoothride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Make sure all the oil is out of the screw holes. Jam paper towel in there to soak it out. Depending on how bad the leak is, sometimes they can weep oil for awhile afterwards.

Consider that another spot where there might be a crack too.
Sounds like a cut oring or no oring is being used for it to leak.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #16018
pavemike
I fall down alot

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post

Cheers..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=fork.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #16019
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Those are the same directions I used the first time I did my fork oil. I found them by searching and wasn't even an Advrider member yet. They're spot on!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #16020
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
shes old and had a few men before me but she just keeps on going

ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote