Old 02-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #16051
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
CR500 frame, XR650R forks and front wheel:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726304

Good Lord, just skimmed through that thread......I aged 10 years just reading it That was one frantic build......you never stop moving do you Reminds me of my wife....she doesn't stop thinking/moving till she passes out from exhaustion...I'm trying to slow her down so she'll live a little longer tho
But big congrats on that BMW-XRR adventure beast, and the other projects you have going. Fascinating reading and great ingenuity

It does make me glad I just pick up solid running bikes anymore, do some basic mods, and just ride them. My ZX14 turbo is my last project......from here on out its relaxing and riding, with a little maintainence thrown in
Old 02-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #16052
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
I was wondering what happened to the Beemer...

I didn't read much and just looked at the pictures because of being at work. Might have to revisit it to find out why you changed frames.

I'd like to take an older 1200 and strip it down to the bare bones too sometime. Make it my version of the HP2. Would be fun.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #16053
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
So I'm in a dilema... I can't get my stock carb to act properly, and want to upgrade to an fcr anyway. So I picked up a fcr40 off an 06 rmz450 for 100$.

My question is.... what are you guys using for airbox side boots? The fcr airbox side is much smaller diameter and the fcr is also much shorter. Hopefully these pics help explain things...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #16054
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I was wondering what happened to the Beemer...

I didn't read much and just looked at the pictures because of being at work. Might have to revisit it to find out why you changed frames.

I'd like to take an older 1200 and strip it down to the bare bones too sometime. Make it my version of the HP2. Would be fun.
What about a old goldwing adv bike? Could be cool
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #16055
Mur
Wheee!

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlak View Post
Couldn't help myself. Doing the Borynack fork mods. Hopefully it works. Waiting for seals and shims.

Sweeet pic man. Im just about to do this mod. My bike has 3300 miles on it and I was wondering if I should change the seals just for the heck of it while i'm in there...
Mur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #16056
the_hulkamaniac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
http://www.nossmachine.com/fcr_adapters.htm

It's very close fit, I've been running mine for a few years now. I epoxied it on, then had it bored out to 42.5mm, which is usually the largest you can go without getting the billet venturi ring.
the_hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #16057
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
Sweeet pic man. Im just about to do this mod. My bike has 3300 miles on it and I was wondering if I should change the seals just for the heck of it while i'm in there...

I decided to do it right and get new seals. Looking forward to being "insanely happy" with the results. I'm optimistic!

Mur, so far the hardest part is removing the staking on the compression core. Take your time. I forced the nut off too soon and broke off a small piece of the aluminum threads. Won't be a problem but I could see the threads on the core getting really messed up if you rush it. I bought a M8X1.0 tap and die just to make sure the threads were good on the core and the piston rod.
mdlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 PM   #16058
Mur
Wheee!

Quote:
I decided to do it right and get new seals. Looking forward to being "insanely happy" with the results. I'm optimistic!

Mur, so far the hardest part is removing the staking on the compression core. Take your time. I forced the nut off too soon and broke off a small piece of the aluminum threads. Won't be a problem but I could see the threads on the core getting really messed up if you rush it. I bought a M8X1.0 tap and die just to make sure the threads were good on the core and the piston rod.
Yeah it looks like im gonna grab some seals as well. Do it right ONCE. lol Thanks for the tip! I could just see myself getting frustrated(I hate staked nuts).

What kind of seals did you get? I was thinking of getting an All Balls kit like this It comes with a bunch of goodies that would be over 100 bucks OEM...
Old 02-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #16059
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mur View Post
Yeah it looks like im gonna grab some seals as well. Do it right ONCE. lol Thanks for the tip! I could just see myself getting frustrated(I hate staked nuts).

What kind of seals did you get? I was thinking of getting an All Balls kit like this It comes with a bunch of goodies that would be over 100 bucks OEM...
SKF seals/dust caps. This is what a local suspension guy recommended. My bike only has about 1000 miles on it so I'm hoping everything else is good. The other parts appear to be in really good shape so I'm going to reuse them.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #16060
Mur
Wheee!

Quote:
SKF seals/dust caps. This is what a local suspension guy recommended. My bike only has about 1000 miles on it so I'm hoping everything else is good. The other parts appear to be in really good shape so I'm going to reuse them.
I see. Thanks for the info. Let me know how it goes! I was gonna do an up to date write up on the Borynack Mods, but I decided to be lazy lol.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #16061
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:

Make sure the threads are good on both the shaft and the nut. I managed to mess the threads on the nut while taking it off without proper filing of the staking on my shock shaft the second time I did it. If you look at the price for that peice of kit you'll get a sick feeling in your stomach.

For less than that part new I bought a whole new set of forks and shock and just used them for parts.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #16062
mdlak
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Make sure the threads are good on both the shaft and the nut. I managed to mess the threads on the nut while taking it off without proper filing of the staking on my shock shaft the second time I did it. If you look at the price for that peice of kit you'll get a sick feeling in your stomach.

For less than that part new I bought a whole new set of forks and shock and just used them for parts.
Shaft and nuts are good!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #16063
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hulkamaniac View Post
http://www.nossmachine.com/fcr_adapters.htm

It's very close fit, I've been running mine for a few years now. I epoxied it on, then had it bored out to 42.5mm, which is usually the largest you can go without getting the billet venturi ring.

You epoxied it on and then bored it? What did you bore it with? Do you have any pictures?

How much did the aadapter You?

stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #16064
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
Carb help

So I am hoping someone can offer some insight to a Carb issue I keep having on my Dads XRR.

Intermittently it runs gas out of the overflow. It does not do it all the time and never when cold. I have literally pulled the carb apart about 10 times trying to fix this. The carb has been cleaned, float level set to 19mm (and then moved in either direction trying to get it to stop) new float assembly, and new needle and seat. The carb appears to function fine off the bike, but after riding for about 20 min it will be pouring out the over flow.

What is the issue? I dont know what else to check???

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #16065
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
What did you bore it with?

He bored with a slide show from his vacation.

SOrry, I couldn't help it.

Everyone I know of takes it to a machine shop to have it done on a mill or lathe.

You try doing at home, but success is not likely unless you live in a machine shop.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote