Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #16426
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
yeah, not going to happen... I'm 165lbs.... :) my key is to not load the bike down with crap you don't really need.
That's what I mean, the lighter you are the lighter your bike feels.

I weigh about that too.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #16427
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,590
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
I made the mistake (?) of riding my buddies XR650R the other night. Very light and nimble in comparison to my KLR..

The want is great. The funds... Not so much...
Sell that over weight underpowered barco lounger and use the funds for a BRP! start looking around!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #16428
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
I am finally going to put on the new right crankcase cover tomorrow. Does anybody know what is used to seal the plugs that go into it? I know two of them are red loctite, (off the old warped one) but the others are a sealant/thread locker that is dark grey. Should I just use red loctite on them all?

I would probably use Three Bond case sealent.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #16429
nigelcorn
Wannabe.

Oddometer: 800
Question for you all: I recently picked up a 2005. It ran fine, but I noticed that on extended rides (like more than 30 minutes) it has trouble idling. I tried adjusting the idle speed to get it up to 1400, and that works, but after about 10 minutes or so if I try and let it idle again it will drop down the rpm's and die. I did this twice until I got the idle up high enough that the rpm's were hanging and would take a while to come back down after letting off the gas.

It always starts right back up, and is easy to start from cold.

I have recently changed the oil, coolant, added a thermostat, adjusted the valves, and jetted according the 650r website according to my elevation and settings.

I was hoping that after all my maintenance it wouldn't be a problem any more, but I went out for my first ride after all that work and it is the same thing. It runs really well when I'm not idling, it just has trouble idling. If I turn the choke on, it revs pretty high but doesn't die. So far this isn't a huge problem because worst case scenario it dies and I just start it again. However, I have to get to the dirt and having it die at a stop-light just doesn't work for me.

Any suggestions where I should look first?
nigelcorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #16430
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
You guys ever have your float level come out of adjustment after a crash?

If the bike goes any more sideways than the stand, it will start overflowing fuel. Its not the needle or needle jet.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #16431
zoro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
Question for you all: I recently picked up a 2005. It ran fine, but I noticed that on extended rides (like more than 30 minutes) it has trouble idling. I tried adjusting the idle speed to get it up to 1400, and that works, but after about 10 minutes or so if I try and let it idle again it will drop down the rpm's and die. I did this twice until I got the idle up high enough that the rpm's were hanging and would take a while to come back down after letting off the gas.

I have recently changed the oil, coolant, added a thermostat, adjusted the valves, and jetted according the 650r website according to my elevation and settings.

I was hoping that after all my maintenance it wouldn't be a problem any more, but I went out for my first ride after all that work and it is the same thing. It runs really well when I'm not idling, it just has trouble idling. If I turn the choke on, it revs pretty high but doesn't die. So far this isn't a huge problem because worst case scenario it dies and I just start it again. However, I have to get to the dirt and having it die at a stop-light just doesn't work for me.

What you describe is very much like mine.
If I stop at a set of lights the thing will idle really high and once I clutch out a bit to drag the engine back to normal revs its fine but if I blip the throttle it will hang again. I have checked the throttle cables for correct routing etc and it seems to return quite well when the bike is not running. Even when it is running and you forcefully return the throttle it still hangs high unless you load the engine with some clutch. Very erratic idle is best I could describe it, I'm going to try and see if its the idle mixture screw o'ring seal has gone? Might test it by placing a wad of grease over the mixture screw to get a seal and see if that fixes it, doubt it will though, very weird.
But like you mentioned its fine when riding just the idling issue, never had a bike do what this is doing?
zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #16432
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
what do you guys think of this wrist pin and rod small end?

wrist pin will be replaced anyhow with new wiseco stuff, but how bout the rod? doable??
i really would like to hear good things if at all possible. ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
They did? Screw that noise! The BRP is awesome on the singletrack if you're in shape and got some muscle. It tractors up over anything and never stalls in the lowest RPMs. And shifting? Optional.
Quote:
It is not ideal, but I'm also not a huge guy. The thing is amazing at tractoring! They were just jealous that their wideass bmw1200's couldn't fit down the entrance to the trails hahaha.
It is not a tractor.

Do not pull your buddy's ktm with your xrr.

Unless you want to replace your wrist pin often.

It is not a tractor, it is a motorcycle, and its built to go rather fast as such.

The oil jet will not spray the small end when it needs it the most.

Kind of like your wife and/or girlfriend.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #16433
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You guys ever have your float level come out of adjustment after a crash?

If the bike goes any more sideways than the stand, it will start overflowing fuel. Its not the needle or needle jet.
Set it lower, that is so that it shuts of with less fuel in the bowl. Mine would run on its side with the stock unit.

Get a filter.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #16434
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

What carb?
what jets?

What exactly are you adjusting?

Increase revs with choke sounds like a lean condition. Backfires during engine braking?

Starts easy when cold, sounds like its rich.

Hell if I know. Hanging idle can be valvles.

It seems like mine does this when I get on the lean side.

Quote:

Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #16435
smoothride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
The slide in the carb is hanging up. Or the linkage in the carb is war out . I change my carb to a tm40 and problem is gone.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #16436
cognugget
n00b

Im running 78s 175, poweerup needle on the 3rd clip. Mine will still backfire on hard engine braking.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:21 AM   #16437
cognugget
n00b

Looking for tire options for the xr650r dual sport.

I ride about 50/50, singletrack woods and pavement,

I am currently running a chen shin front and a mt43 rear.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #16438
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,302
i run these for street and dirt rd's
http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...QEwAg&dur=3364

brilliant tire front is ok on the dirt ... but it does move around a bit ...rear is very good

i got over 5,000 miles on my last rear and still running the same front with a new rear
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #16439
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Question for you all: I recently picked up a 2005.

Just about every carb issue that I've ever had has been cured with a disassemble, clean, and reassemble. Blow carb cleaner and compressed air through every port after removing the jets.

It takes less than an hour to do the entire XRR carb from start to finish. I did the carb on my XR100 in 15 min yesterday. After that I did the entire bank of carbs on a non-running FZR400 that I picked up for cheap recently. Supposedly the carbs had been completely disassembled, ultrasonically cleaned, and then reassembled but the guy still couldn't get it to run. I was able to make it run by adding gas directly to the carbs and keeping revs above 5K so I knew I had a carb issue. I stripped them down yesterday, found a pilot screw WAY out of adjustment, and four plugged pilot jets. It runs AWESOME now. I doubled its value with 2 hours of work yesterday.

Just take your time, use a clean, organized work space, and have at it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #16440
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 247
Luggage rack

What racks do u boys use for the XRR. My Rack it / pro moto billet alu rack broke on the weekend with not a heavy duffel on. My GL cayote is in the post.
I need a Safari rear tank for my 2013 Wr450 if anybody has one.

Tau Anvil screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 09:23 AM
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote