Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,619
with no balance

Old 03-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #16622
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
How about the always good "Aluminum Vs. Plastic" Skidplate debate? Doing the TAT, but I'm kinda partial to my stock skidplate. Is an aluminum one absolutely necessary?
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #16623
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
How about the always good "Aluminum Vs. Plastic" Skidplate debate? Doing the TAT, but I'm kinda partial to my stock skidplate. Is an aluminum one absolutely necessary?
I like the plastic one because it does not reflect noises up into my ears. I normally rock the plastic one, but I think i'll be slapping on my alum one for my tat trip this summer.

When are you going? I'm leaving TN Aug 29
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #16624
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,619
I don't slam my bike around too often but last summer I slammed a rock ledge going up hill and made it over the thing.

I could see a soft aluminum skid plate grabbing a whole lot of traction on that rock. and spitting me over the bars...

My stock plastic one let the bike slide right up.

No way to prove that though!

Water pump coverage is good though too on the aftermarket ones.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #16625
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
This has happened to me 2-3 times on my current XR. After a long ride, I shut my bike off. The clutch lever is within spec's(2-3cm). The next time I jump on the bike(after sitting for a few days), there isn't any play in the clutch lever. After riding the bike around the block, all the adjustment 2-3cm comes back into the lever.

What causes this?
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #16626
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
There is a slow-motion video on the Dust-to-Glory DVD where you can see the pig flexing going over a series of bumps, apparently the reason why they never fitted aluminium skid plates was for that very reason - they effectively brace the frame and change the nature of the handling.

If I was ever to fit an aluminium one, it would have to be rubber mounted and able to move slightly to allow the flex of the frame. They also increase the transmission noise considerably.

In saying that, on a long trip to the middle of nowhere, it would make sense to fit one, as long as you have tools to bend it if you need to. If it bends into the path of your foot controls or the likes, that would also be a show stopper without the tools to fix it.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:51 AM   #16627
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,043
Quote:
We ride allot in Ut, the region is very unforgiving when it comes to cases and plastic. The stock skid plate is pretty good but has been known to break into multiple pieces, its also designed with a stock xr in mind, not a loaded up DS config. I know of 2 that has happened to, one also tookout the coolant res when it went down. I'll take the weight hit to avoid that situation.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #16628
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
We ride allot in Ut, the region is very unforgiving when it comes to cases and plastic. The stock skid plate is pretty good but has been known to break into multiple pieces, its also designed with a stock xr in mind, not a loaded up DS config. I know of 2 that has happened to, one also tookout the coolant res when it went down. I'll take the weight hit to avoid that situation.
Yup I have had a few times where I heard a loud "PING" of a rock nailing the skid plate. I got home took it off and pounded out a golf ball sized crater. I have only had one aluminum skid plate vs possibly replacing the plastic one a time or two. Utah has a lot of rocks that turn into bullets, epecially wash and dry creek trails. It does make the engine louder, so I put rubber between it and the frame. Haven't noticed any decrease in flex, though I can imagine it's there. The bike's frame feels so stout I haven't had a problem with it, it feels great in the dez.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #16629
KYLEISCOOL
Who

Oddometer: 144
+1 on the rubber between the alum. skid plate. Im not racing my bike, im caring for it as long as I have it. rocks vs. aluminum or rock vs. plastic. Who has a better chance?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #16630
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
It would take about 24 plastic skid plates to replace my one aluminum. Yeh its noisey, but so is my pipe, which is why I wear ear plugs. If you are sensitive to loud noises, and maybe scare easily or don't want to worry the squirrels, put some dynamat or other asphault based matting on it.

And there is no way my aluminum skid plate is keeping the frame from flexing; its not got the right structure to be rigid.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #16631
shimazaki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
its really a simple equation....

take the XR650R + fuel Injection + elec start (while keeping the kick) + 6th gear + modern suspension enduro suspension....

Edit: Oh and keep it under 300 lbs!

game over.
Isnt this the 450?? never drive one, but its seems a hell of bike 2

Trying to found a "new" bike for me in Africa, maybe the XR650r, lt cheaper and I think that is more than enough for my driving skills... I've made a test drive last december and Ive felt in Love, is a powerful motorbike, wonderful outside the road... on the road, that seat, if you can call that, has to be changed!!
shimazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #16632
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,693
Only the CRF450R is EFI, not the X and neither are 6 spd.

As for skid plates, mine came with an Al and I have always used Al ones, but I just bought an Acerbis plastic one for my other bike and it is very nice. Lighter than Al and much thicker than the stock XRR unit. So far it has held up very well.

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #16633
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
XR 650R "normal" oil temperature

Hy guys,

i've been using a electrical fan and installed a oil temperature dipstick.

Can you guys tell what's the normal oil temperature in your XR?

Tnks
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #16634
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Countershaft seal failure

Hi guys I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, I did a search and didn't come up with anything...

Any some tips on pulling the old one out would be greatly appreciated. Was thinking of putting a coarse screw in through each side of the seal a bit and see if I could work it out, maybe use the end of the countershaft as a fulcrum pulling on each side to get it out evenly. I don't want to pry and damage anything aluminum.
Icelander-DR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #16635
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander-DR650 View Post
Hi guys I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, I did a search and didn't come up with anything...

Any some tips on pulling the old one out would be greatly appreciated. Was thinking of putting a coarse screw in through each side of the seal a bit and see if I could work it out, maybe use the end of the countershaft as a fulcrum pulling on each side to get it out evenly. I don't want to pry and damage anything aluminum.
They come out pretty easy.
You need to pull the retainer clip.
I pulled my seal with 2 sheet rock screws screwed into the seal and re-installed the new with a deep socket. Use grease or vaseline to install so not to destroy the new seal edge
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote