Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #16636
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
It would take about 24 plastic skid plates to replace my one aluminum. Yeh its noisey, but so is my pipe, which is why I wear ear plugs. If you are sensitive to loud noises, and maybe scare easily or don't want to worry the squirrels, put some dynamat or other asphault based matting on it.

And there is no way my aluminum skid plate is keeping the frame from flexing; its not got the right structure to be rigid.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #16637
shimazaki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
its really a simple equation....

take the XR650R + fuel Injection + elec start (while keeping the kick) + 6th gear + modern suspension enduro suspension....

Edit: Oh and keep it under 300 lbs!

game over.
Isnt this the 450?? never drive one, but its seems a hell of bike 2

Trying to found a "new" bike for me in Africa, maybe the XR650r, lt cheaper and I think that is more than enough for my driving skills... I've made a test drive last december and Ive felt in Love, is a powerful motorbike, wonderful outside the road... on the road, that seat, if you can call that, has to be changed!!
shimazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #16638
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Only the CRF450R is EFI, not the X and neither are 6 spd.

As for skid plates, mine came with an Al and I have always used Al ones, but I just bought an Acerbis plastic one for my other bike and it is very nice. Lighter than Al and much thicker than the stock XRR unit. So far it has held up very well.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #16639
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
XR 650R "normal" oil temperature

Hy guys,

i've been using a electrical fan and installed a oil temperature dipstick.

Can you guys tell what's the normal oil temperature in your XR?

Tnks
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #16640
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Countershaft seal failure

Hi guys I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, I did a search and didn't come up with anything...

Any some tips on pulling the old one out would be greatly appreciated. Was thinking of putting a coarse screw in through each side of the seal a bit and see if I could work it out, maybe use the end of the countershaft as a fulcrum pulling on each side to get it out evenly. I don't want to pry and damage anything aluminum.
Icelander-DR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #16641
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander-DR650 View Post
Hi guys I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, I did a search and didn't come up with anything...

Any some tips on pulling the old one out would be greatly appreciated. Was thinking of putting a coarse screw in through each side of the seal a bit and see if I could work it out, maybe use the end of the countershaft as a fulcrum pulling on each side to get it out evenly. I don't want to pry and damage anything aluminum.
They come out pretty easy.
You need to pull the retainer clip.
I pulled my seal with 2 sheet rock screws screwed into the seal and re-installed the new with a deep socket. Use grease or vaseline to install so not to destroy the new seal edge
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #16642
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply! I have the snap ring out already but won't pull the seal until I get a new one so the motor stays sealed. Well, kinda sealed I guess. I'll be sure to lube up the new one on the way in. Speaking of lubed up, I'm kinda surprised I didn't end up on my ass...never had this on a tire before...

And I was turning both right and left....
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #16643
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I have the snap ring out already but won't pull the seal until I get a new one so the motor stays sealed. Well, kinda sealed I guess. I'll be sure to lube up the new one on the way in. Speaking of lubed up, I'm kinda surprised I didn't end up on my ass...never had this on a tire before...

Most people would say get rid of the tire but I would buy a couple cans of brake clean and clean the tire with it first
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 AM   #16644
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

I had a can of brake cleaner and gave it a good blast and it looks good The tire is brand new too, it has one ride on it. I'd rather not throw away $180.00 so I'll give it a good blast again with cleaner and go play in an empty parking lot to see if it feels funny or slips... A friend suggested after blasting it again a little buffing with a belt sander wouldn't hurt...
Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #16645
RRP13
Kinda superbikey

Oddometer: 115
Quote:

Wipe it off really well with xylene. Tire won't last long but at least it won't be a total write off.
SV650 (and then there was one.) - road racer
RRP13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #16646
Unsung
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I had a question about gearing. I am running 15/43 and it seems gutless over 65mph. I was going down the highway at about 75 and it just seemed wound too high and not wanting to pull. I kicked it wide open hoping to pass some people but gave up. I weigh 175lbs, stock wheels with shinko 705, uncorked with aftermarket exhaust. What am I missing here? Should I swap to a 14 front, or do I need to rejet and put an aftermarket air filter in it?

I'm starting to wonder now. I think my bike is losing power, is this possible? I have no speedo so it's hard to judge. But I chased a friend down in their car and passed them easily at 65 a few weeks ago. Blew by them and kept adding it on. Is it possible the problem was a lot of wind? Bah, asking all these questions when I should just go ride it down the highway again. Maybe there was too much wind, or people were going a lot faster than I thought.

Unsung screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 11:29 AM
Unsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #16647
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Tyre Clean

[QUOTE=Icelander-DR650;21068047]I had a can of brake cleaner and gave it a good blast and it looks good The tire is brand new too, it has one ride on it. I'd rather not throw away $180.00 so I'll give it a good blast again with cleaner and go play in an empty parking lot to see if it feels funny or slips... A friend suggested after blasting it again a little buffing with a belt sander wouldn't hurt...

A few KM's on a dry/dirt/gravel road wouldn't do any harm
Repeated us of chemicals would concern me re potential for degradation of the curing/compound in the tyres.
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #16648
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Case saver wear

Looks like some wear/clearance issues on the case saver.
Is this normal with a 15T as marked or are there other geometry/suspension considerations with the MOTARD wheels
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #16649
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
MT - 43 Trials

So i'm tossing around the idea of swapping on a MT-43 in Moab to use for the second half of the TAT. Does anyone have any personal experience running this tire on the XR loaded down? I plan on traveling light, but its still a big ol bike with a 210 lb rider + a good bit of gear.

We are not 100% sure we are going all the way to OR, but its possible.

Any theory on if that tire could make the whole rest of the trip if necessary?
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #16650
Icelander-DR650
Adventurer

RRP13 and jm-2008:

I was wondering about tire damage with chemicals....I might just use a spray readily available here called 'Spray 9' that I've used quite a bit and removes grease and tar without damaging the interior of vehicles. Thought I'd soak the tire and go at it with a plastic bristled brush. The advise of playing in the dirt will be exercised, sounds like a good idea, I've done this to new tires to get rid of the slippery surface they have.

I don't think the wear on the case saver is from geometry issues, the chain was a bit slack and was adjusted when the new tires went on. I'm thinking that the marks are from the loose chain making contact during hard acceleration and deceleration periods. The mark on the bottom during acceleration and the one on the top during deceleration... I could be wrong. I noticed it too and planned on cleaning up the marks and then watch for further indications of contact or wear.