Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #16711
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate View Post
I need some help. first a little background. I have always wanted an XR. about two years ago, I found a California plated XR for a good price (Thanks James at Renazco). The bike is a 2000. I have done the CS seal and bushing. I added a stator, lights and turn signals. I have no clue about the carb or jetting. Never been in there. The motor I'm guessing is stock other than being uncorked. I adjust the valves and change the oil. It starts usually on the first or second kick. I have had it down to Baja three times and each trip was over 2k miles. I have also done the Oregon Back Route Discover route for another 2.5K miles. and countless local romp sessions. I have had no fewer than 8 of these "O" rings replaced. usually before I need to change the oil. thanks in advance for your help.

So you are saying you are going through a back tire per 1000 miles? sounds about right if you are pushing it decently
Wish I had the time to do that
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #16712
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Just sounds like laziness to me, and not understanding what a clutch actually does.....
I sorta felt this way until I had it all apart and studied the design of the transmission very carefully and realized that for upshifts there isn't any reason why you have to use the clutch. On the street and relaxed riding I still use it to obtain smoother shifts but on the track I never use it for upshifts. Upshifting under race conditions just burns up clutch plates for no reason.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #16713
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate View Post
I need some help. first a little background. I have always wanted an XR. about two years ago, I found a California plated XR for a good price (Thanks James at Renazco). The bike is a 2000. I have done the CS seal and bushing. I added a stator, lights and turn signals. I have no clue about the carb or jetting. Never been in there. The motor I'm guessing is stock other than being uncorked. I adjust the valves and change the oil. It starts usually on the first or second kick. I have had it down to Baja three times and each trip was over 2k miles. I have also done the Oregon Back Route Discover route for another 2.5K miles. and countless local romp sessions. I have had no fewer than 8 of these "O" rings replaced. usually before I need to change the oil. thanks in advance for your help.
Tee hee.

Buuutttt.......

you think that's bad, buy a 950.....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #16714
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Tee hee.

Buuutttt.......

you think that's bad, buy a 950.....
Hiya Ron, I still have the 950. It too is hard on tires as you know. The only tire I have been able to get 3k is the Dunlop 908. I just wish they were cheaper.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #16715
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Demn, too late, my comment would have been akin Wood's
A thou mile with that "o-ring" is fine, no worries, and the other o-ring will prolly last a notch longer
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #16716
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
For clutch-less upshifting I have heard so many conflicting opinions on if its good or bad. I have never heard of a failure due to it though. I have tried it a few times, it feels smooth.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #16717
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
yep fckn cool shot i recon ....aussie's giving the pig a gut full

BTW some1 answer my question on the front fender ...i wanna crf typ but need to know what 1 to buy that will fit and suit the bike
i cannot post pictures on here but if you check fockers forum i will post one on there for ya .
Be warned that the crf red its slightly different shade to the xr red .

link -
http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/grap...nder_cr_crf_xr

ZXRaziel screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 09:27 AM
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #16718
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
WHy do you clutch every shift when the only proven effect in doing so is wearing out clutch components.
Whaaatttt?

Using your clutch to shift does not abnormally wear out clutch components. Not using it will abnormally wear the shift drum and dogs, as well as be harder on the entire drive.

Trying combining clutch motion with throttle control, its amazing.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #16719
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Whaaatttt?

Using your clutch to shift does not abnormally wear out clutch components. Not using it will abnormally wear the shift drum and dogs, as well as be harder on the entire drive.

Trying combining clutch motion with throttle control, its amazing.

The Honda trans is too clunky for me to shift without the clutch. My 610 was butter smooth and I'd shift it without using the clutch, up and down, but it had a broken clutch cable most of the time, so I had to.

My riding buddy with an XRR shifts without the clutch and it's been falling out of 4th and dropping into 3rd on it's own...bent shift fork. Now he gets to split the cases to fix it.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #16720
KYLEISCOOL
Who

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
WHy do you clutch every shift when the only proven effect in doing so is wearing out clutch components.
Do you have an unlimited amount of clutch components to your disposal and holdin out on everyone? I dont know bout you but just getting springs,fibers, and steels are enough to empty my "fun" funds. I need a bigger allowance.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #16721
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,622
I saw a video of a guy on a ducati SM at the track. Ducati Ad/ promo thing.

They had a camera pointed on his clutch hand and he was just applying just a bit of clutch on UP shifts and full clutch on down shifts, it was pretty cool to watch.

Jayrod1318 screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 12:26 PM
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #16722
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
I believe that honda put the clutch there for a reason , but i might be wrong , it might be there just for the looks , as it would look stupid to only have one lever on a bike and the people with OCD would suffer as it just looks wrong - unbalanced

There is something called recluse clutch , and there is a bike called Jawa made in Czech republic that has automatic clutch . - Good for folks with lazy hand , unles you just love to repair your bike .
Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #16723
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
I believe that honda put the clutch there for a reason , but i might be wrong...
They actually put it there for three reasons: when you are stopping/starting, downshifts, and low rpm upshifts.

A clutchless upshift when you roll off the throttle isn't any different than using a quick shifter that briefly cuts spark to unload the transmission while you shift. BMW, Ducati, and Aprilia all have bikes available that come from the factory with quick shifters for clutchless upshifts. With factory warranties. Their transmissions are built the same as the Honda.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #16724
mattymurn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
stuff in the oil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I was trying to say, change your clutch operation as a test, do another sample, see if the numbers improve, if not you need to dig in and see what's up. I'd be willing to bet that it's all from the clutch, including the aluminum...basket fingers wear really fast, especially if you clutch every shift like I do.
last year I completely fried my clutch. to the point that a fiber came apart.
The bike ran fine thru all this. I went to drain the oil and almost none came out. Its not that there was no oil but fiber debris had clogged the downtube drain. I removed both screens and they were full of bits of the fiber.

I flushed the crankcase as best as possible and got most of the big parts out.

Long story short, it took about 5-6 oil changes in a row and cleaning of both oil screens a few times to get the parts of the fiber out of the crankcase.

My last oil change was completely clean and the bike is running great.

It would be interesting to know given a wet clutch design how much debris from a wearing clutch is tolerated before engine damage occurs...

matthew
mattymurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #16725
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Why the fuck wouldn't you use your clutch when shifting? What is the purpose? When I am trying to go fast, I like the clutch, its neat. Some people even keep their clutch when the run a recluse.

I love dropping into a sandy wash and pinning the throttle in fourth and feathering clutch as it launches towards 80mph. Try powering up a twisty sandy wash with your clutchless power shifts and see what comes out of your oil.

Why all this anti-clutch sentiment?

I think the anti-clutch crowd needs to go ride.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote