Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #16711
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
WHy do you clutch every shift when the only proven effect in doing so is wearing out clutch components.
Good point on that
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #16712
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
WHy do you clutch every shift when the only proven effect in doing so is wearing out clutch components.
Proof?
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #16713
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
ummmm...... have i been driving a motorcycle the wrong way for the last 10 years??? i missed out on the no clutch thing.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #16714
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
"O" Ring problems

I need some help. first a little background. I have always wanted an XR. about two years ago, I found a California plated XR for a good price (Thanks James at Renazco). The bike is a 2000. I have done the CS seal and bushing. I added a stator, lights and turn signals. I have no clue about the carb or jetting. Never been in there. The motor I'm guessing is stock other than being uncorked. I adjust the valves and change the oil. It starts usually on the first or second kick. I have had it down to Baja three times and each trip was over 2k miles. I have also done the Oregon Back Route Discover route for another 2.5K miles. and countless local romp sessions. I have had no fewer than 8 of these "O" rings replaced. usually before I need to change the oil. thanks in advance for your help.

ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #16715
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 599
I have seen this no clutch approach mentioned from to time but it logically makes no sense to me to not use the clutch - if it was so revolutionary then why doesn't Honda lose the clutch on all its bikes?

Just sounds like laziness to me, and not understanding what a clutch actually does.....
Old 04-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #16716
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,165
Think i would rather use consumables rather than hard parts
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #16717
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate View Post
I need some help. first a little background. I have always wanted an XR. about two years ago, I found a California plated XR for a good price (Thanks James at Renazco). The bike is a 2000. I have done the CS seal and bushing. I added a stator, lights and turn signals. I have no clue about the carb or jetting. Never been in there. The motor I'm guessing is stock other than being uncorked. I adjust the valves and change the oil. It starts usually on the first or second kick. I have had it down to Baja three times and each trip was over 2k miles. I have also done the Oregon Back Route Discover route for another 2.5K miles. and countless local romp sessions. I have had no fewer than 8 of these "O" rings replaced. usually before I need to change the oil. thanks in advance for your help.

So you are saying you are going through a back tire per 1000 miles? sounds about right if you are pushing it decently
Wish I had the time to do that
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #16718
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
Just sounds like laziness to me, and not understanding what a clutch actually does.....
I sorta felt this way until I had it all apart and studied the design of the transmission very carefully and realized that for upshifts there isn't any reason why you have to use the clutch. On the street and relaxed riding I still use it to obtain smoother shifts but on the track I never use it for upshifts. Upshifting under race conditions just burns up clutch plates for no reason.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #16719
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate View Post
Tee hee.

Buuutttt.......

you think that's bad, buy a 950.....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #16720
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Tee hee.

Buuutttt.......

you think that's bad, buy a 950.....
Hiya Ron, I still have the 950. It too is hard on tires as you know. The only tire I have been able to get 3k is the Dunlop 908. I just wish they were cheaper.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #16721
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Demn, too late, my comment would have been akin Wood's
A thou mile with that "o-ring" is fine, no worries, and the other o-ring will prolly last a notch longer
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #16722
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
For clutch-less upshifting I have heard so many conflicting opinions on if its good or bad. I have never heard of a failure due to it though. I have tried it a few times, it feels smooth.
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #16723
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-0 View Post
yep fckn cool shot i recon ....aussie's giving the pig a gut full

BTW some1 answer my question on the front fender ...i wanna crf typ but need to know what 1 to buy that will fit and suit the bike
i cannot post pictures on here but if you check fockers forum i will post one on there for ya .
Be warned that the crf red its slightly different shade to the xr red .

link -
http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/grap...nder_cr_crf_xr

ZXRaziel screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 09:27 AM
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #16724
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Whaaatttt?

Using your clutch to shift does not abnormally wear out clutch components. Not using it will abnormally wear the shift drum and dogs, as well as be harder on the entire drive.

Trying combining clutch motion with throttle control, its amazing.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #16725
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Whaaatttt?

Using your clutch to shift does not abnormally wear out clutch components. Not using it will abnormally wear the shift drum and dogs, as well as be harder on the entire drive.

Trying combining clutch motion with throttle control, its amazing.

The Honda trans is too clunky for me to shift without the clutch. My 610 was butter smooth and I'd shift it without using the clutch, up and down, but it had a broken clutch cable most of the time, so I had to.

My riding buddy with an XRR shifts without the clutch and it's been falling out of 4th and dropping into 3rd on it's own...bent shift fork. Now he gets to split the cases to fix it.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote