Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 04:32 PM   #16876
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
I'm looking at DID x-ring chains. Do these come with both the rivet style and clip style master links? Did website is not much help.

My 13 year old stock chain is getting bound up and kinky.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #16877
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I'm looking at DID x-ring chains. Do these come with both the rivet style and clip style master links? Did website is not much help.

My 13 year old stock chain is getting bound up and kinky.

It depends on what model you order and who you order it through. Make sure to verify it prior to ordering.

slogger screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 09:17 PM
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #16878
TJE
Space Emperor

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I believe AC is a california model with smog junk.

I would use A/A, but chances are that it doesn't matter for 95% of the parts, and the 5% of parts not the same are the ones you won't be wanting to replace anyhow.
Awesome, thanks crypto!

My gallery: http://www.subsignal.com/DEMO
TJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #16879
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008 View Post
Looking for a source for these (male & female) XR650R OEM wiring loom plugs -
Used where the Rec/Reg plugs into the wiring loom behind the head light

Any help appreciated
Many thanks,
JM-2008
http://jm-2008.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...4389&k=Z7hrXfz

If you need OEM connectors check http://vintageconnections.com/ . I used their products on a recent project. If you buy the bullet connectors get the 3.5mm ones as they match oem. Also their crimper does a factory like crimp.

Brian
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #16880
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Vintage Connections

[QUOTE=ODSC1;21204563]If you need OEM connectors check http://vintageconnections.com/ . I used their products on a recent project. If you buy the bullet connectors get the 3.5mm ones as they match oem. Also their crimper does a factory like crimp.

Brian

Brian,
Thanks for the tip.
Burpsa (inmate) put me onto them and have placed an order.
Their pin removal tool looks handy as well.
Regards,

JM-2008
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #16881
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
As far as I know (and have been supplied) all DIDs come with a clip-link .... which you should throw away immediately, they're not even good enough for a lawnmower.
Only a rivet-link* on a bike, especially this big one. Invest in a DID riveting-tool also, it's by far the best I've seen. And yes, the most costly one too, but horses for courses, it'll last you your life, not the bike's.
If anyone comes telling here they've always used clip-links - you lucky lucky bugger you!!!

* you buy two (2!) when you buy the chain. This will allow you later to either fix or re-join the chain if you have to take it off. Buying one later is problematic because the one you need can't be had anymore.

BuRPsa screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 03:24 PM
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #16882
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
As far as I know (and have been supplied) all DIDs come with a clip-link .... which you should throw away immediately, they're not even good enough for a lawnmower.
Only a rivet-link* on a bike, especially this big one. Invest in a DID riveting-tool also, it's by far the best I've seen. And yes, the most costly one too, but horses for courses, it'll last you your life, not the bike's.
If anyone comes telling here they've always used clip-links - you lucky lucky bugger you!!!

* you buy two (2!) when you buy the chain. This will allow you later to either fix or re-join the chain if you have to take it off. Buying one later is problematic because the one you need can't be had anymore.
Eh I've never had an issue with the clip types (even when raced). I lost a clip once on a fooked DID chain on my 600 (I think the tweaked chain guide was to blame tbh) but on my Renthals I've gone thousands of miles and the clip is still secure as new. I think installation is key and make sure your guides are good.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #16883
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 611
I tend to agree, always used clip links - never had a problem. I do however check the clip regularly and make sure it is fully engaged under the lip of the pin links on both sides. For people that often remove the master link, I would replace the clip after every removal as they can be bent during removal quite easily.

Some people also place a blob of glue/silicone over the clip for extra security.

Ultimately the clip is only preventing the side to side movement, not the tensile force of the chain when under load.

Just my 2c but I can understand why some people choose riveted links.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #16884
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Riveted on my DID. I have a clip on my XR100 but speeds are much lower and the penalties for a failure are much lower.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #16885
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
How in the hell did this happen to my chain? http://i.imgur.com/SVTHQ1h.jpg

I am so glad it did not break on me. I wonder if the chain has been like this since I bought the bike and I didn't notice....

What would you guys recommend for me as a replacement? I was thinking an RK or DID chain. I have SM wheels with I think a 15t front and like 44t rear sprocket. I will be replacing those as well. Which brand do you guys like?

Also are there any "while I am in there" parts I should get?

medisyn screwed with this post 04-19-2013 at 07:51 AM
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #16886
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 601
Magnesium repair???

I managed to punch a small (1/8") dent into the very bottom of my clutch cover. This dent is allowing a fine mist of oil to leak out when the bike is running. Anyone tried a sure-fire way of fixing this (i.e. J-B weld)? I'm wondering if it could be tig welded - but for some reason, welders I've spoken with seem to be warry of the magnesium material this is cast from.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #16887
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrailie View Post
I managed to punch a small (1/8") dent into the very bottom of my clutch cover. This dent is allowing a fine mist of oil to leak out when the bike is running. Anyone tried a sure-fire way of fixing this (i.e. J-B weld)? I'm wondering if it could be tig welded - but for some reason, welders I've spoken with seem to be warry of the magnesium material this is cast from.
Magnesium is easy to weld, A magnesium rod is used, Clean and carbide clear the weld area then weld.
clean with a clean stainless brush if a re-pass is necessary.
You don't need structure just a fill, Magnesium is very porous and a good paint coat can help that.
Painting magnesium is a different subject so ill spare you the details.

If you go the JB route cook your cover to 250 degrees after around 15 minutes remove from oven then upon cooling through the 140 range apply epoxy it will get very runny but re apply to fill after it cools more

magnesium will hold moisture and you need to cook it out or you will get weak adhesion
Hope that helps
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #16888
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
How in the hell did this happen to my chain? http://i.imgur.com/SVTHQ1h.jpg

I am so glad it did not break on me. I wonder if the chain has been like this since I bought the bike and I didn't notice....

What would you guys recommend for me as a replacement? I was thinking an RK or DID chain. I have SM wheels with I think a 15t front and like 44t rear sprocket. I will be replacing those as well. Which brand do you guys like?

Also are there any "while I am in there" parts I should get?

I really cannot believe that did not cost you a crank case. Crazy stuff.

Which chain is that?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #16889
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
Riveted on my DID. I have a clip on my XR100 but speeds are much lower and the penalties for a failure are much lower.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I've had a clip link on the 650 for about 7K of hard riding, it held up fine. I'm no fan of one type or another, the chain came with that link so I used it. I've had it apart a few times also.

The rivited type is definately more secure, given a choice I'd pick that type if it came with the chain I was buying. Ya gotta remember, dirtbikes never had riveted ML for many years, it never stopped anyone from riding the hell out of 'em.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #16890
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,201
the ol girl copped a flogging today

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote