User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #16951
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Question Rekluse EXP

After many hours I have read EVERY page of this thread. thanks to all who have contributed to all of the great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Not sure what you mean? On the highway the clutch should be locked up? The only time the Rekluse slips is when the rpm drops near idle. What model Rekluse are you using, EXP or Z-start? Are you using a clutch lever? If the plates are warped at all, it will cause excess drag and not work properly.
I have herd quite a few people comment on how a autoclutch doesn't work, its not a real bike with out a clutch, its for girls who cant ride, bla bla bla. I would like to hear real world experience with the EXP in a BRP. I rode a DR450 with an EXP and the shifting was very hard. I dont know if that's due to the autoclutch, set up on that bike or just inherent in the DR trany. is the shifting any harder with the EXP than without(stock set up using the clutch)? It was tough to idle it to allow it to shift. Have you noticed any issues with hard riding like in deep sand all?
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #16952
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,299
Good times in Kernville at WARPED IX.
Jawbone Canyon!

Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #16953
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post
I have herd quite a few people comment on how a autoclutch doesn't work, its not a real bike with out a clutch, its for girls who cant ride, bla bla bla. I would like to hear real world experience with the EXP in a BRP. I rode a DR450 with an EXP and the shifting was very hard. I dont know if that's due to the autoclutch, set up on that bike or just inherent in the DR trany. is the shifting any harder with the EXP than without(stock set up using the clutch)? It was tough to idle it to allow it to shift. Have you noticed any issues with hard riding like in deep sand all?
I have no affection for automatic transmissions, I like to decide when to shift, but I do think the auto clutch is great! It reduces the work load on the rider and allows him to concentrate on riding. It virtually eliminates stalling and I've had an AMA roadrace and flat track champ stall right in front of me, so it has nothing to do with skill. It also helps with holeshots, reduces tire wear, and is like cheating on steep complex hills.

As far as shifting goes, it really shouldn't make any difference. If you are shifting without using the lever, then it is just like shifting a regular bike without using the clutch. You have to roll off the power or "blip" to unload the gears, then shift and roll back into it. It is fairly easy to do on dirt, as most MX racers do when upshifting with a normal clutch. But on pavement or downshifting, it requires some finesse to be smooth. You do not have to let off so much that it goes all the way to idle and releases.

It also will work fine in deep sand, but it is critical to keep track of what gear you are in, as you can wear the clutch plates by riding in the wrong gear. I personally like to ride with no clutch lever at all, so the EXP did not work for me, as it does not slip enough at idle. It is meant to be used with a clutch lever for shifting into neutral and very slow speed riding. I prefer the Z-start, which will slip more off idle, release completely at idle, and does not reduce the number of clutch plates.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #16954
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I have no affection for automatic transmissions, I like to decide when to shift, but I do think the auto clutch is great! It reduces the work load on the rider and allows him to concentrate on riding. It virtually eliminates stalling and I've had an AMA roadrace and flat track champ stall right in front of me, so it has nothing to do with skill. It also helps with holeshots, reduces tire wear, and is like cheating on steep complex hills.

As far as shifting goes, it really shouldn't make any difference. If you are shifting without using the lever, then it is just like shifting a regular bike without using the clutch. You have to roll off the power or "blip" to unload the gears, then shift and roll back into it. It is fairly easy to do on dirt, as most MX racers do when upshifting with a normal clutch. But on pavement or downshifting, it requires some finesse to be smooth. You do not have to let off so much that it goes all the way to idle and releases.

It also will work fine in deep sand, but it is critical to keep track of what gear you are in, as you can wear the clutch plates by riding in the wrong gear. I personally like to ride with no clutch lever at all, so the EXP did not work for me, as it does not slip enough at idle. It is meant to be used with a clutch lever for shifting into neutral and very slow speed riding. I prefer the Z-start, which will slip more off idle, release completely at idle, and does not reduce the number of clutch plates.
I have the Z start and love it. I also have the LH Brake and added the clutch perch shift when I first got the bike. I rarely ever touch it now.

'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure SOLD
'05 Honda XR650R
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #16955
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 151
[QUOTE=Burnszilla;21294199]Good times in Kernville at WARPED IX.
Jawbone Canyon!

Yo Burnszilla you ride that setup from redwood city?
Not a lot of gear there in that picture you might be hotelling it ?
Looking like a good time
Keep at it.
FG
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #16956
bigtrailie
He shoots-HE SCORES!

Oddometer: 600
Thanks FlyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
If you go the JB route cook your cover to 250 degrees after around 15 minutes remove from oven then upon cooling through the 140 range apply epoxy it will get very runny but re apply to fill after it cools more

magnesium will hold moisture and you need to cook it out or you will get weak adhesion
Hope that helps
I went the JB weld route using the "cooking" instructions you provided. It worked like a charm.

'04 KTM 950 ADVENTURE (black) - '05 Honda XR650R (plated) - '97 Honda XR600R (plated) - '99 Honda Valkyrie Interstate (joy rides with my wife and kids)
bigtrailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #16957
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Laugh rekluse

thats great info Pete and oddfellow! thanks

walkergreenlabel screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 01:03 PM
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #16958
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigToad View Post
Unfortunately I just posted my XR for sale in the flea market. Its in Vancouver BC (thus the price)....bummed about selling it......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881850

[IMG][/IMG]
You have acces to riding location like that and you are selling the piggy ?

WHY ?
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 PM   #16959
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
You have acces to riding location like that and you are selling the piggy ?

WHY ?
Thats not in BC
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #16960
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Overlooking seattle from Manchester boat launch
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #16961
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
This thread needs a bump
Sweeping Hells Half Acre at the YUcca Chuckers 2013 MRAN race.
\
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #16962
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Looks like fun!

Reminds me of riding in Moab with the 650. Worked surprisingly well!

Just added the Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge for this summers ride. I know it's not advised to ride anything but a lightly luggaged dual sported MX bikes, but both my buddy and I are stubborn. We'll be riding our XR650R's and camping. Should be a fun challenge. We may not do well but I'll be happy to complete within the standings. Apparently only (4) bikes have completed the T1 challenge from N to S; the direction we plan on traveling.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #16963
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Ah, well, now I can see why you envy H's lighter bike
Good to see it's already good weather there, enjoy!
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #16964
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
How's that suspension working out for you?

I love XRR's with black wheels. I know that's pretty petty, but they make the bike look so gnarly. The grey forks with black wheel and gators set it off.

I have strange tastes...
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #16965
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I was riding home from work today and my bike started cutting out like it was out of gas but it wasnt, i pulled over and started the bike and it started but now the idle is acting kinda strange and it just doesent sound right also theres a stange feeling while i ride i cant describe its just not as smooth. God i hope its the valves or something easy I'm not ready for my pig to die
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote