Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #17056
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,959
The Rekluse should not slip once above the off-idle rpms. I can easily loft the front wheel even in 3rd gear. I am guessing that your stack height is wrong, too much clearance, so you need one thicker drive plate. By the way, stiffer springs will make the clutch engage slower (higher rpm), not faster. I have been running them for over 10 years and they are the greatest aftermarket part made.

The EXP does eliminate a couple of friction plates, so it does reduce the ultimate capacity of the clutch. This is why they don't recommend it for big bored engines or Supermoto. I use a Z-start style, which uses all the stock friction plates, but they don't make it for the XRR anymore. I have used an EXP in my Christini and it worked fine with no slipping, but I just upgraded to a Z-start pro because I don't like having a clutch lever at all and the EXP doesn't work well that way. My co-worker has an EXP in his XRR and it works fine with no slipping.

SVN/XRR/XC-W

PeteN95 screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 01:40 PM
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #17057
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 210
Better headlight for cheap?

Ok, need a better headlight, but can't afford most of the aftermarket stuff. Would like to find a decent stock headlight from some other model bike that puts out good amount of light, with a good light pattern. I'll find a way to mount it up. Thinking something like the KTM 950 would be perfect, with the vertical mounted arrangement, but any ol' light will do. Anyone done this, or any suggestions?
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #17058
pilate74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
You will need a better stator. I think XRs only sells a glass lens that fits a halogen bulb into the stock number plate. I have one on my bike.
pilate74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #17059
Rydah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilate74 View Post
You will need a better stator. I think XRs only sells a glass lens that fits a halogen bulb into the stock number plate. I have one on my bike.
Thanks. No sweat on the power; I've got a BD 2x125W stator, so 125W AC to the headlight(s). Couldn't find the glass lens you speak of. Maybe they don't carry it anymore?
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Old 05-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #17060
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
Ok, need a better headlight, but can't afford most of the aftermarket stuff. Would like to find a decent stock headlight from some other model bike that puts out good amount of light, with a good light pattern. I'll find a way to mount it up. Thinking something like the KTM 950 would be perfect, with the vertical mounted arrangement, but any ol' light will do. Anyone done this, or any suggestions?
I have an old Yamaha that the headlight bulbs are discontinued on. I used a bulb and base from a 94 Lincoln town car and put it in the stock headlight bucket. Took some fab work but it works great. I used the lincoln stuff because I already had it, but perhaps you could do something similar? I'd chose a car that uses the same bulb for low and high, so you could also have high beam.

Failing that maybe a xrl, dr650, drz400? I'm not for sure how they mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #17061
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...cj&PID=3726866

Put in a DDM HID light kit.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 AM   #17062
AGiN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
The Rekluse should not slip once above the off-idle rpms. I can easily loft the front wheel even in 3rd gear. I am guessing that your stack height is wrong, too much clearance, so you need one thicker drive plate. By the way, stiffer springs will make the clutch engage slower (higher rpm), not faster. I have been running them for over 10 years and they are the greatest aftermarket part made.

The EXP does eliminate a couple of friction plates, so it does reduce the ultimate capacity of the clutch. This is why they don't recommend it for big bored engines or Supermoto. I use a Z-start style, which uses all the stock friction plates, but they don't make it for the XRR anymore. I have used an EXP in my Christini and it worked fine with no slipping, but I just upgraded to a Z-start pro because I don't like having a clutch lever at all and the EXP doesn't work well that way. My co-worker has an EXP in his XRR and it works fine with no slipping.
After reading some mixed reviews of EXP clutch on XRR, I have pulled the trigger and got one for my bike. It was slipping terribly on higher RPMs and
I could not change it with adjustments and springs. I then find that heavier wedge kit can solve the problem and ordered it (additional $150). After installation of wedges it slips less, but there is a significant slip anyways.
I suppose it can be the cause of my gearing (15/45) but not the friction plates (they are new).
Now I use it in 2 modes: Fully release the tension on the clutch cable to use the clutch in manual mode on the highways, and adjust the cable to auto mode when on the tight trails.

One interesting effect to notice is:
When I am in the gear and put my finger onto the clutch lever, I feel the work of the auto clutch by the difference in tension on the lever. The tension on the lever should increase with the rise of RPM. In reality I feel that tension increase only in 1700 3000 RPM range and after suddenly decrease (that is where slipping starts).

Sorry for my terrible English, I hope you understand what I mean, and it will be helpful. I am from Kazakhstan.
AGiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #17063
Rydah

Now that's a great suggestion. Only problem (for me) is I really want to keep it AC for my lighting. I'm already carrying a battery for my DC leg, and don't want to go all DC. Just don't trust batteries enough; not on a dirt bike anyway. Great option though, and if I can't find a good, bright AC light, I might go that route. Thanks.
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #17064
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGiN View Post
Sorry for my terrible English..... I am from Kazakhstan.
Yeah right, pull the other one!
Your English is so good that I bet you don't even speak Kazakh.

An all DC system is nothing wrong with, and if you don't trust your battery then put a large capacitor parallel. This way if the batt goes just disconnect it, all will still be well.

Slipping clutches, Rekluses in this case, cook the oil so quick that I'd not ride the bike! I'd fix them or chuck the culprit - which seems to be that Rekluse if you ask me. Then again never seen one, but this confirms I don't want one either.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #17065
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGiN View Post
One interesting effect to notice is:
When I am in the gear and put my finger onto the clutch lever, I feel the work of the auto clutch by the difference in tension on the lever. The tension on the lever should increase with the rise of RPM. In reality I feel that tension increase only in 1700 3000 RPM range and after suddenly decrease (that is where slipping starts).
Sorry for my terrible English, I hope you understand what I mean, and it will be helpful. I am from Kazakhstan.
Your English is fine, but there is something wrong with your clutch. I would contact Rekluse and explain this to them. It should not be doing this. I am not very familiar with the EXP because I mostly use the Z-start, but it should lock up the clutch tighter as rpm increases.

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #17066
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Wicked

This is the most versatile bike I have ever owned!

Made some passenger pegs that work very well. $10 into them.

Now the bike is prepared for this weekend!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #17067
jm-2008
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Cognuggent

May pay to remove the valve stem nuts
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #17068
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008 View Post

May pay to remove the valve stem nuts
THinking i'm going to rip them out?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #17069
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
What's your budget?
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #17070
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
I run the dual filament hi/lo 55w bulb? in the stock housing with the stock stator. works pretty good when aimed correctly. And WAAy brighter than the stock bulb. I forget the number but it is the Yamaha Banshee bulb. this is a bright white version http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...per-White-Bulb

It was the cost of the bulb, some solder to solder the 2 contacts together on the base of the bulb. $9.00

There also is a honda part number for a glass version of the stock lense assembly, I think I priced it and it was around $40 bucks or so. Forgot the cross reference on it but I think its form another XR.... I would imagine its a slight improvement over the plastic version.

so if you haven't already.............. try the bigger bulb trick for ultimate low cost improvement!

Jayrod1318 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 06:15 PM
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote