Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 AM   #17056
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
(the frame oil reservoir is after the oil filter correct?) No way bottom end bits would end up in the frame unless there was a filter failure.
Oh yes there is. The scavenging pump will pump unfiltered oil in the frame, the only protection - sortof - is the secondary screen.

Quote:
Next change I'm going to cut apart my filter to inspect and clean the strainer in the frame......
The frame's strainer you should inspect on every oilchange, quick & easy. But I gather you've never had a look at the secondary one, in the motor behind the clutch? If not doing that is a good idea
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #17057
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Hey guys.
Got a question, anyone have or is using a rekluse EXP 2.0 auto clutch on they're xrr?

I had it adjusted per instructions, and even adjusted it at the very end scale of being in auto mode(clutch almost grabbing to a point you have to almost apply the brakes so it doesnt creep forward, but im not liking it.

Its great for uphills/tight single tracks but thats about it, because to me the clutch slips too much for anything else.
In the dirt, you almost think its just the tyres spinning from having no grip, but i then went on pavement to double check and sure enough it slips a fair bit.
Here is how i would explain it.
Say im cruising in 3rd gear ( but this happens in any gear) and i go to give it (wide open throttle), immidiatly the revs sky rocket high but bike goes nowhere(slipping), this takes a good 2seconds at least and then slowly you can feel the clucth catching up(starting to grip), but that catching up also takes a good few seconds.

I cant do wheelies anymore with just powering it like i use to, doing jumps is harder, taking off quickly is bad and the worst part is, i also use it as a motard( i have both setups that i change to) and use it at race tracks and it sucks exiting corners or overtaking someone etc...

Ive double checked my adjsutment and cant see anything wrong, ive put the strongest springs that come with it and i dont have this issue when i remove the Rekluse EXP out of the system.

Is this normal for a rekluse auto clutch? or can it simply not handle the torque of the xrr?
Its modded with full exhaust, tm40 carby, stage 1 cam, air box modded.

cheers
mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #17058
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
Hey guys.
Got a question, anyone have or is using a rekluse EXP 2.0 auto clutch on they're xrr?

I had it adjusted per instructions, and even adjusted it at the very end scale of being in auto mode(clutch almost grabbing to a point you have to almost apply the brakes so it doesnt creep forward, but im not liking it.

Its great for uphills/tight single tracks but thats about it, because to me the clutch slips too much for anything else.
In the dirt, you almost think its just the tyres spinning from having no grip, but i then went on pavement to double check and sure enough it slips a fair bit.
Say im cruising in 3rd gear ( but this happens in any gear) and i go to give it (wide open throttle), immidiatly the revs sky rocket high but bike goes nowhere(slipping), this takes a good 2seconds at least and then slowly you can feel the clucth catching up(starting to grip), but that catching up also takes a good few seconds.

I cant do wheelies anymore with just powering it like i use to, doing jumps is harder, taking off quickly is bad and the worst part is, i also use it as a motard( i have both setups that i change to) and use it at race tracks and it sucks exiting corners or overtaking someone etc...

Ive double checked my adjsutment and cant see anything wrong, ive put the strongest springs that come with it and i dont have this issue when i remove the Rekluse EXP out of the system.

Is this normal for a rekluse auto clutch? or can it simply not handle the torque of the xrr?

cheers
That sounds like something is wrong , make sure that you have assembed it correctly .
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #17059
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
And I'm the guy with a low mileage 2001 that has high Iron, copper and silver content in the oil.

I'm remembering my first oil change where I cleaned the strainer in the frame. It had a bunch of of metal bits, did'nt pay much attention to it. I'm almost certain it was the first time it had ever been cleaned so i just figured it was production shavings left behind. (the frame oil reservoir is after the oil filter correct?) No way bottom end bits would end up in the frame unless there was a filter failure.

Next change I'm going to cut apart my filter to inspect and clean the strainer in the frame......
You may have a problem there?
If residual machine bits from initial assembly they would most likely be of aluminum.
you would be looking for gold color in in your screens or in the bottom of the case.

From the top on the picture above

Scavenge (square filter guessing 120 micron) filter this the first line of defense it filters before the scavenge pump this is where to look if the debris is fairly large and if there was debris in filter #2 (like you)

the center down tube filter (#2) is additional scavenge filtering(suspect 80 micron)
and in addition it prevents crap that can enter the fill point.
your case may be just that? (poor dip stick hygiene?)

The third filter is after the main oil pump and in the picture is a 35 micron filter it it what supply's the engine it catches all the small stuff (usually the first filter to check)
Hope that helps, I noted on your oil analyses that it had elevated copper?
you are suspect
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #17060
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
I should have clarified when I agreed with "rod issues" that it is the big end bearing in the rod that I and my friend have both had issues with. As noted we are both "sumo guys." My bike started its life as Johnny Campbell's BITD bike but it has made an excellent supermoto. I lost the big end bearing at a track day at Grattan. My friend lost his big end bearing on the same track two years earlier. Both of us rebuilt with full Falicon Supercrank mod with Falicon rod. He's got hundreds of track day miles and thousands of street miles since then. I've got 20ish supermoto sprint races and 1500ish street miles since then on a pretty hot engine build. I don't know how much use the engine had before I bought it but I put 5k+ street miles on it and did a few track days before it popped. Hopefully I get a bit more life out of it this time.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #17061
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,246
Well, it's been a few weeks since I got my carb sorted and I had a chance to put some miles on the bike and make a few more changes. Burpsa, you sir, were correct. Dropping the needle cured most of the studdering, but I ended up going from a 175 to a 165. It's still a bit on the the rich side, but that's just fine! Running great now. Thanks again. -JW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Jesse,
if an engine 'spudders' then it is running really rich, and the solution is to reduce a jet, not merely dropping the needle. It may feel fine now but I bet it still runs rich, your exhaust telling telltales.
I'd put in (with clean filter, set valves etc) the 68S, set the needle to 'mid' and drop the main size-by-size until you feel it is too small - then use the averaged size with your current one which should put you in the ballpark. Only then finetune the needle.
Of course this is a rough way of jetting, the best is to hook up an analyser on a dyno, however it will work.

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #17062
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,585
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
You may have a problem there?
If residual machine bits from initial assembly they would most likely be of aluminum.
you would be looking for gold color in in your screens or in the bottom of the case.

From the top on the picture above

Scavenge (square filter guessing 120 micron) filter this the first line of defense it filters before the scavenge pump this is where to look if the debris is fairly large and if there was debris in filter #2 (like you)

the center down tube filter (#2) is additional scavenge filtering(suspect 80 micron)
and in addition it prevents crap that can enter the fill point.
your case may be just that? (poor dip stick hygiene?)

The third filter is after the main oil pump and in the picture is a 35 micron filter it it what supply's the engine it catches all the small stuff (usually the first filter to check)
Hope that helps, I noted on your oil analyses that it had elevated copper?
you are suspect
The bike is a cream puff I picked up about 2 years ago. Bike was basically brand new. I've only put 3 thousand miles on it. (I wish I could ride it more). It runs fine ect. I did an oil analysis to see to see about drain intervals and it came back with wear metals. Made me remember the first oil Change I gave it when I brought it home and now I'm subsequently paranoid. I've always thought that the engine is loud, a lot of noises come out of these things. I've always thought it had bit of a knock in it. I dunno, I'm going to run it till I get enough miles on it to send another sample in. In the meantime I'm going to check the frame strainer.... Maybe nothing,,,, maybe something I will find out.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #17063
walkergreenlabel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
:ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazman808 View Post
Hey guys.

cheers
great questions. I am about to pull the trigger on one for my pig, i am curious to know if others have the same issues. Have you checked the specs on your clutch plates to see if they have excessive wear and are out of spec? that may cause excessive slippage of the clutch? prob not since yo dont have any issues with it removed.
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #17064
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
The Rekluse should not slip once above the off-idle rpms. I can easily loft the front wheel even in 3rd gear. I am guessing that your stack height is wrong, too much clearance, so you need one thicker drive plate. By the way, stiffer springs will make the clutch engage slower (higher rpm), not faster. I have been running them for over 10 years and they are the greatest aftermarket part made.

The EXP does eliminate a couple of friction plates, so it does reduce the ultimate capacity of the clutch. This is why they don't recommend it for big bored engines or Supermoto. I use a Z-start style, which uses all the stock friction plates, but they don't make it for the XRR anymore. I have used an EXP in my Christini and it worked fine with no slipping, but I just upgraded to a Z-start pro because I don't like having a clutch lever at all and the EXP doesn't work well that way. My co-worker has an EXP in his XRR and it works fine with no slipping.

SVN/XRR/XC-W

PeteN95 screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 02:40 PM
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #17065
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 210
Better headlight for cheap?

Ok, need a better headlight, but can't afford most of the aftermarket stuff. Would like to find a decent stock headlight from some other model bike that puts out good amount of light, with a good light pattern. I'll find a way to mount it up. Thinking something like the KTM 950 would be perfect, with the vertical mounted arrangement, but any ol' light will do. Anyone done this, or any suggestions?
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #17066
pilate74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
You will need a better stator. I think XRs only sells a glass lens that fits a halogen bulb into the stock number plate. I have one on my bike.
pilate74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #17067
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilate74 View Post
You will need a better stator. I think XRs only sells a glass lens that fits a halogen bulb into the stock number plate. I have one on my bike.
Thanks. No sweat on the power; I've got a BD 2x125W stator, so 125W AC to the headlight(s). Couldn't find the glass lens you speak of. Maybe they don't carry it anymore?
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #17068
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
Ok, need a better headlight, but can't afford most of the aftermarket stuff. Would like to find a decent stock headlight from some other model bike that puts out good amount of light, with a good light pattern. I'll find a way to mount it up. Thinking something like the KTM 950 would be perfect, with the vertical mounted arrangement, but any ol' light will do. Anyone done this, or any suggestions?
I have an old Yamaha that the headlight bulbs are discontinued on. I used a bulb and base from a 94 Lincoln town car and put it in the stock headlight bucket. Took some fab work but it works great. I used the lincoln stuff because I already had it, but perhaps you could do something similar? I'd chose a car that uses the same bulb for low and high, so you could also have high beam.

Failing that maybe a xrl, dr650, drz400? I'm not for sure how they mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #17069
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...cj&PID=3726866

Put in a DDM HID light kit.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 05-21-2013, 02:24 AM   #17070
AGiN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
The Rekluse should not slip once above the off-idle rpms. I can easily loft the front wheel even in 3rd gear. I am guessing that your stack height is wrong, too much clearance, so you need one thicker drive plate. By the way, stiffer springs will make the clutch engage slower (higher rpm), not faster. I have been running them for over 10 years and they are the greatest aftermarket part made.

The EXP does eliminate a couple of friction plates, so it does reduce the ultimate capacity of the clutch. This is why they don't recommend it for big bored engines or Supermoto. I use a Z-start style, which uses all the stock friction plates, but they don't make it for the XRR anymore. I have used an EXP in my Christini and it worked fine with no slipping, but I just upgraded to a Z-start pro because I don't like having a clutch lever at all and the EXP doesn't work well that way. My co-worker has an EXP in his XRR and it works fine with no slipping.
After reading some mixed reviews of EXP clutch on XRR, I have pulled the trigger and got one for my bike. It was slipping terribly on higher RPMs and
I could not change it with adjustments and springs. I then find that heavier wedge kit can solve the problem and ordered it (additional $150). After installation of wedges it slips less, but there is a significant slip anyways.
I suppose it can be the cause of my gearing (15/45) but not the friction plates (they are new).
Now I use it in 2 modes: Fully release the tension on the clutch cable to use the clutch in manual mode on the highways, and adjust the cable to auto mode when on the tight trails.

One interesting effect to notice is:
When I am in the gear and put my finger onto the clutch lever, I feel the work of the auto clutch by the difference in tension on the lever. The tension on the lever should increase with the rise of RPM. In reality I feel that tension increase only in 1700 3000 RPM range and after suddenly decrease (that is where slipping starts).

Sorry for my terrible English, I hope you understand what I mean, and it will be helpful. I am from Kazakhstan.
AGiN is offline   Reply With Quote