Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #17071
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 209
Now that's a great suggestion. Only problem (for me) is I really want to keep it AC for my lighting. I'm already carrying a battery for my DC leg, and don't want to go all DC. Just don't trust batteries enough; not on a dirt bike anyway. Great option though, and if I can't find a good, bright AC light, I might go that route. Thanks.
2006 Honda XR650R - Plated
2012 Suzuki 650 Vstrom
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #17072
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGiN View Post
Sorry for my terrible English..... I am from Kazakhstan.
Yeah right, pull the other one!
Your English is so good that I bet you don't even speak Kazakh.

An all DC system is nothing wrong with, and if you don't trust your battery then put a large capacitor parallel. This way if the batt goes just disconnect it, all will still be well.

Slipping clutches, Rekluses in this case, cook the oil so quick that I'd not ride the bike! I'd fix them or chuck the culprit - which seems to be that Rekluse if you ask me. Then again never seen one, but this confirms I don't want one either.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #17073
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGiN View Post
One interesting effect to notice is:
When I am in the gear and put my finger onto the clutch lever, I feel the work of the auto clutch by the difference in tension on the lever. The tension on the lever should increase with the rise of RPM. In reality I feel that tension increase only in 1700 3000 RPM range and after suddenly decrease (that is where slipping starts).
Sorry for my terrible English, I hope you understand what I mean, and it will be helpful. I am from Kazakhstan.
Your English is fine, but there is something wrong with your clutch. I would contact Rekluse and explain this to them. It should not be doing this. I am not very familiar with the EXP because I mostly use the Z-start, but it should lock up the clutch tighter as rpm increases.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #17074
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Wicked

This is the most versatile bike I have ever owned!

Made some passenger pegs that work very well. $10 into them.

Now the bike is prepared for this weekend!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #17075
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Cognuggent

May pay to remove the valve stem nuts
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #17076
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm-2008 View Post

May pay to remove the valve stem nuts
THinking i'm going to rip them out?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:16 PM   #17077
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
Ok, need a better headlight, but can't afford most of the aftermarket stuff. Would like to find a decent stock headlight from some other model bike that puts out good amount of light, with a good light pattern. I'll find a way to mount it up. Thinking something like the KTM 950 would be perfect, with the vertical mounted arrangement, but any ol' light will do. Anyone done this, or any suggestions?
What's your budget?
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #17078
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah View Post
Ok, need a better headlight, but can't afford most of the aftermarket stuff. Would like to find a decent stock headlight from some other model bike that puts out good amount of light, with a good light pattern. I'll find a way to mount it up. Thinking something like the KTM 950 would be perfect, with the vertical mounted arrangement, but any ol' light will do. Anyone done this, or any suggestions?
I run the dual filament hi/lo 55w bulb? in the stock housing with the stock stator. works pretty good when aimed correctly. And WAAy brighter than the stock bulb. I forget the number but it is the Yamaha Banshee bulb. this is a bright white version http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...per-White-Bulb

It was the cost of the bulb, some solder to solder the 2 contacts together on the base of the bulb. $9.00

There also is a honda part number for a glass version of the stock lense assembly, I think I priced it and it was around $40 bucks or so. Forgot the cross reference on it but I think its form another XR.... I would imagine its a slight improvement over the plastic version.

so if you haven't already.............. try the bigger bulb trick for ultimate low cost improvement!

Jayrod1318 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 06:15 PM
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #17079
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
FlyGuy goes with wossner pistons

I had previously used the ROSS piston I purchased from XRs only.
I had accumulated approximately 14,000 mi or (22,500 kmi) of adventure fun with the ross piston and was surprised of how well it made the bike run.
I knew my luck would run out on this engine some day and it finally did
The ross piston cracked and the XR turned into a oil pumping smoking train.
The bike still ran so I tried to limp it home some 120 miles away
I added oil at he first notice of the problem (unaware of the actual problem), and kept adding oil till I went through one quart in 6 miles where I threw in the towel due to a hard start (leg failure) some 60 miles later
I made it the additional 60 miles running high oil temp 250f and no higher than 210f on the coolant
(I was happy to have a add on fan as it was running constantly) It was a long day.

Back at home the XR got disassembled to reveal the the problems.
Some may say detonation killed the ross piston, but I won't say it never detonated. but there is no heat signature I can find that would indicate a detonation issue..
The burned look is from trying to get home with a crack through the piston crown, as well it yellowed the entire inside of the engine with burnt oil.
When a single cylinder engine detonates its usually noted with a power loss and jerkie operation.
It is my opinion the Ross piston died of cyclical flexing from high cylinder pressures

Now I compare the two pistons to decide what to do
the wossner piston is more than ⅓ thicker through the crown measuring .280 thousands (top of piston to underside)
the ross piston measured .180 thousands and this is not where the valve reliefs are the ross is very thin where the reliefs are. ross uses a unibrow?

the wossner measures .980 across the inside pin bosses
the ross measures 1.175
I am pointing to the difference.

the wossner pin is a tapered wall with a main wall thickness of .165
the ross is .147

These three things will help the flex issue,the crown thickness is a big one
In addition the wossner is Teflon coated and uses a thinner ring pack
So what does it weigh with pin rings and clips

that's 12 grams more than the ross but 60 grams lighter than stock
there are more things i like about this piston but i don't want to bore ya
i might comment on the rod as mine is due and i plan to keep track of the weights here too
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #17080
tijuana
Farkling Around

Oddometer: 203
Call me

See signature and keep R alive!

Carry Parts and Gear...
tijuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #17081
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
FlyGuy goes with wossner pistons

I had previously used the ROSS piston I purchased from XRs only.
I had accumulated approximately 14,000 mi or (22,500 kmi) of adventure fun with the ross piston and was surprised of how well it made the bike run.
I knew my luck would run out on this engine some day and it finally did
The ross piston cracked and the XR turned into a oil pumping smoking train.
The bike still ran so I tried to limp it home some 120 miles away
I added oil at he first notice of the problem (unaware of the actual problem), and kept adding oil till I went through one quart in 6 miles where I threw in the towel due to a hard start (leg failure) some 60 miles later
I made it the additional 60 miles running high oil temp 250f and no higher than 210f on the coolant
(I was happy to have a add on fan as it was running constantly) It was a long day.

Back at home the XR got disassembled to reveal the the problems.
Some may say detonation killed the ross piston, but I won't say it never detonated. but there is no heat signature I can find that would indicate a detonation issue..
The burned look is from trying to get home with a crack through the piston crown, as well it yellowed the entire inside of the engine with burnt oil.
When a single cylinder engine detonates its usually noted with a power loss and jerkie operation.
It is my opinion the Ross piston died of cyclical flexing from high cylinder pressures

Now I compare the two pistons to decide what to do
the wossner piston is more than ⅓ thicker through the crown measuring .280 thousands (top of piston to underside)
the ross piston measured .180 thousands and this is not where the valve reliefs are the ross is very thin where the reliefs are. ross uses a unibrow?

the wossner measures .980 across the inside pin bosses
the ross measures 1.175
I am pointing to the difference.

the wossner pin is a tapered wall with a main wall thickness of .165
the ross is .147

These three things will help the flex issue,the crown thickness is a big one
In addition the wossner is Teflon coated and uses a thinner ring pack
So what does it weigh with pin rings and clips

that's 12 grams more than the ross but 60 grams lighter than stock
there are more things i like about this piston but i don't want to bore ya
i might comment on the rod as mine is due and i plan to keep track of the weights here too
Thanx for the good information

ZXRaziel screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 12:48 PM
ZXRaziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #17082
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,320
It's definately not detonation, it's very obvious when you take apart a motor that suffers from premature ignition (det.) it will appear sandblasted around the outer edges getting worse the further out on the crown and I doubt you'd see that much carbon buildup ether.

I suspect it started off as a casting imperfection in the piston alloy. The scenerio your painting says the design isn't up to the job. I sorta doubt that, there's plenty of race bikes using Ross pistons without this problem or piston failures.

Have you tried to get them (Ross) to replace it or shown them these pictures? I would, you might be surprised.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #17083
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
To be fair , the piston did fair amount of work ( miles ) , especialy considering that its a light weight high compression ( call it racing if you like ) , that is respectable result and certainly not a bad quality part , i have seen parts failing much quicker than that . And light weight piston puts less stress on other parts - they last longer , its easy and cheap to replace piston
Old 05-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #17084
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
To be fair , the piston did fair amount of work ( miles ) , especialy considering that its a light weight high compression ( call it racing if you like ) , that is respectable result and certainly not a bad quality part , i have seen parts failing much quicker than that . And light weight piston puts less stress on other parts - they last longer , its easy and cheap to replace piston
You def caught it at the right time, could have been ugly
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #17085
galland1
n00b

Oddometer: 106
Anyone use a 70s pilot jet?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
galland1 is offline   Reply With Quote