Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #17191
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I have a question and an observation.

Does anyone else's bike stall sometimes? Mine only does it if I try to blip the throttle just right, and the bike is warmish/hot, and the stars line up just wrong. Seems like maybe the idle is a touch too low, but it sounds like the idle is set right. Maybe it's low, or maybe this is normal for a large(r) thumper.

I may have learned how to start my bike finally after a fall. Or I got lucky a few times in a row. Not sure. Pick up the bike immediately, hold throttle wide open with compression release in. Kick about 6 times. Let off compression release, find compression stroke, and kick with all you have. It worked the past few times, hopefully I'm on to something here.
There is something worn in your carbie , ( linkage , iddle screw , diaphragm + spring ,.... ) get a TM 40
Old 06-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #17192
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Interesting. Mine does this the first 15 minutes or so of running...then it runs great. I have a TM40...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
There is something worn in your carbie , ( linkage , iddle screw , diaphragm + spring ,.... ) get a TM 40
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #17193
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
Interesting. Mine does this the first 15 minutes or so of running...then it runs great. I have a TM40...
My stocker starts first kick and runs superb for about 15 minutes and then when the engine is fully warmed up it goes funny , even stall when i blip the throttle ( usualy in colder weather ) , there must be a reason for why so many XR owners swapped for a pumper
Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #17194
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
I didn't have the bog that everybody talks about with the stock carb. I changed mine because:

1) Softer transition from on/off throttle. Mine always liked to snap even when being very smooth.

2) Lighter throttle pull (Should I have gotten the "L" version??)

3) Gas mileage (30's jumped to 50's MPG)

4) Of course more precise jetting.

Mine still isn't jetted perfect, but it never is. Too much elevation change here and on my rides. It's worked from 0-10,000 ft. So I leave it =)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #17195
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,642
I bought the vapor 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. The battery died on it mostly because I didn't have it powered from the bike for a long time.The battery dieing should not cause it to lose any information programmed or otherwise. If it is losing information it's defective.

The customer service is top notch, I needed the different thermocouple so I could drill and tap the thermostat housing and they sent it to me for wholesale price. Thought that was nice, looking at one of their headlights now.....
Old 06-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #17196
idc1233333
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hey everyone... I had a plated XL600R and it wasn't quite fast enough... So I just picked up a plated 2001 XR650R
idc1233333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #17197
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Schweeeeet bike
Old 06-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #17198
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
sorry for the rant guys....

but Id LOVE to meet the guy who designed the big Acerbis tank for our bikes, preferably in a dark alley...

Talk about a total pain in the ass.

On the right side left side of the bike you cant even see when the bolt hole is lined up, and those shitty brackets? WFT?

I just pray to god I never have to pull that tank off while on my TAT trip.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #17199
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post

but Id LOVE to meet the guy who designed the big Acerbis tank for our bikes, preferably in a dark alley...

On the right side left side of the bike you cant even see when the bolt hole is lined up, and those shitty brackets? WFT?

The main mounts mimic the other tank mounts, just are a bit more difficult to access through the smaller holes in the sides of the tank. It helps to have a long extension with a wobbly adaptor, as well as using bolts with flanged heads. The flanged heads allow you to direct the bolt a bit easier, as well as push it as you apply torque.

For the bottom mounts, don't even bother with the Acerbis brackets. Get the Tanker Brace from Hodaka Guy and be done with it. A much better setup....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #17200
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post

First time is a bastard, but it becomes easier with time. The Acerbis at least seems to fit most aftermarket radiators too. The brackets are poor but after a few 400+ km trips without refuelling the pros far out-weigh the cons.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #17201
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
It helps to have a long extension with a wobbly adaptor, as well as using bolts with flanged heads. The flanged heads allow you to direct the bolt a bit easier, as well as push it as you apply torque.
Flanged bolts are good, allan heads & washers are even better - and, when fiddly-inserting is required a ball-end allan spanner works a charm.

Hodaka's brace has too many good reports to be ignored, I'd say get one - by asking him nicely and have some patience, as this is merely a hobby for the man, he's got a very real job

As said mount a tank - fist time tricky maybe - and then leave it on whilst you 'heat cycle' it, in the sun and/or during riding, and do keep it as full as possible. The plastic sort-of 'shapes' around the bike, making later fitting easier.
Dunno the Acerbis but my IMS's fit well, happy with them.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #17202
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,437
speaking of tanks Bart ...got any updates mate
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #17203
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Uhh, well, erm..... (whistles whilst looking at the stars)
No bru. Yeah, I hung them off the oinker, took the expansion tank & zorst off for that of course (so, leaving me with a non-functional mammal!), but I haven't gotten much further than that.
OK, crap me out now, I'm lousy. But, but, when I finally get me arse in gear (read: off time to do some private work) I'll post here, concurrent with pvt mail to you. Scouts honour you know, means a lot to me
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #17204
b45her
MotoJunkie

Oddometer: 27
Just want some second opinions on my output shaft.. Is it knackered and about to fail or have I got some time on my hands here before it lets go completely? Cheers

b45her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #17205
AWAC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Question Changed carb insulator and nothing else. BRP not happy.

I had a fuel leak on my float bowl gasket. I pulled off the carb and fixed it. My bike is not uncorked because I am trying to make it street legal. While I had the carb off I figured I would go ahead and put in the unrestricted carb insulator. The bike does not seem to be very happy about this. It started harder than ever. It idled ok an ran good at slow speed, but when I opened it up in the taller gears it bogged pretty bad.

I am really suprised that it made that big of a difference. Maybe it is something completely different, but I figure it is what I just changed that I making the difference. Thoughts...
2008 BMW R 1200 GS
AWAC is offline   Reply With Quote