Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #17191
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFanMan View Post
Anyone ever cut a stock tank apart and happen to know roughly how thick the plastic is at the tank top? I'm thinking about sinking a couple of capture nuts into the top edge of the tank (right under the sides of the seat) for my Sumo project. It looks plenty thick enough in the center where the seat bolt goes in but I'm not certain about the edges. I don't really want to put daylight into it if I can avoid it
I've got an old stock tank that is dyed an interesting purple color I would sell for cheap if you want to cut one in half. I kept it as a backup but I would probably just replace my big tank as opposed to swapping it on.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #17192
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I may have learned how to start my bike finally after a fall. Or I got lucky a few times in a row. Not sure. Pick up the bike immediately, hold throttle wide open with compression release in. Kick about 6 times. Let off compression release, find compression stroke, and kick with all you have. It worked the past few times, hopefully I'm on to something here.
That's a pretty well known procedure for starting a flooded thumper. Always works for me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #17193
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
I've got an old stock tank that is dyed an interesting purple color I would sell for cheap if you want to cut one in half. I kept it as a backup but I would probably just replace my big tank as opposed to swapping it on.
I appreciate the offer but I got bold and went ahead and epoxied in some capture nuts from a KTM tank I tore apart. The XRR tank was pretty thick, but not thick enough to not go into the tank. They are super tight, time will tell how well they hold the fuel in

Thanks again....Scott
Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #17194
nick5446
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Listed my '02 in the For Sale section earlier this week. Plated, dual sport and SM setups, runs killer. Price is flexible and I am interested in trades. Located in Oregon but the plate and title are from California. PM me if you're interested.
nick5446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #17195
jeffcali
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
We pulled all those vapors off our bikes. Trailtech is a great company, with good tech support and excellent customer service, but those computers are junk. The KTM computers on the other hand, hold up pretty well, but they cost way too much to consider retrofitting to any other bikes unless you can find a used one.
That's because they're assembled in China.

The quality of the solder joints are terrible.

The vibration these things go through...they need a lot better than class 3 soldering.
jeffcali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #17196
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #17197
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
For whom it may concern:

Driven by the need of commuting, advriding and dirt riding, I started a little project.
19 and 17 wheel set to presevre the knobbies on the OEM wheels and commute(cush drive...priceless)

I went with a pair of Aprilia Pegasso 650 wheels(same as the BMW F650, with the exception of the rear brake rotor).

-the front is a straight fit...you just have to machine the spacers and the caliper relocator
- the rear is a bit tricky, but it has potential.

The rim dimensions are: 19x2.15 and 17x3.0

I'm thinking of running a pair of Michelin Anakee 3 or Metzeler Tourance on them.
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #17198
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
And Gesus

how's that triple's set you were busy with coming on?
Working on it. Sorry for the wait, but we're stretching ourselves pretty thin to make all this stuff happen. We're even selling off most of our bikes to raise money for GatosBros...
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #17199
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I have a question and an observation.

Does anyone else's bike stall sometimes? Mine only does it if I try to blip the throttle just right, and the bike is warmish/hot, and the stars line up just wrong. Seems like maybe the idle is a touch too low, but it sounds like the idle is set right. Maybe it's low, or maybe this is normal for a large(r) thumper.

I may have learned how to start my bike finally after a fall. Or I got lucky a few times in a row. Not sure. Pick up the bike immediately, hold throttle wide open with compression release in. Kick about 6 times. Let off compression release, find compression stroke, and kick with all you have. It worked the past few times, hopefully I'm on to something here.
There is something worn in your carbie , ( linkage , iddle screw , diaphragm + spring ,.... ) get a TM 40
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #17200
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Interesting. Mine does this the first 15 minutes or so of running...then it runs great. I have a TM40...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
There is something worn in your carbie , ( linkage , iddle screw , diaphragm + spring ,.... ) get a TM 40
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #17201
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
Interesting. Mine does this the first 15 minutes or so of running...then it runs great. I have a TM40...
My stocker starts first kick and runs superb for about 15 minutes and then when the engine is fully warmed up it goes funny , even stall when i blip the throttle ( usualy in colder weather ) , there must be a reason for why so many XR owners swapped for a pumper
Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #17202
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
I didn't have the bog that everybody talks about with the stock carb. I changed mine because:

1) Softer transition from on/off throttle. Mine always liked to snap even when being very smooth.

2) Lighter throttle pull (Should I have gotten the "L" version??)

3) Gas mileage (30's jumped to 50's MPG)

4) Of course more precise jetting.

Mine still isn't jetted perfect, but it never is. Too much elevation change here and on my rides. It's worked from 0-10,000 ft. So I leave it =)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #17203
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,596
I bought the vapor 2 years ago and have had no problems with it. The battery died on it mostly because I didn't have it powered from the bike for a long time.The battery dieing should not cause it to lose any information programmed or otherwise. If it is losing information it's defective.

The customer service is top notch, I needed the different thermocouple so I could drill and tap the thermostat housing and they sent it to me for wholesale price. Thought that was nice, looking at one of their headlights now.....
Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #17204
idc1233333
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hey everyone... I had a plated XL600R and it wasn't quite fast enough... So I just picked up a plated 2001 XR650R
idc1233333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #17205
ZXRaziel
Gnarly Adventurer

Schweeeeet bike