Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #17251
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
Is the Hid a lot better than halogen?
Edit: as far as light output and energy draw is concerned:
They don't even compare. You could compare the halo with leds though.

crypto666 screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 08:59 AM
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #17252
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
Is the Hid a lot better than halogen?
The color of the light is different (technically called the temperature). The HID puts out a whiter, almost blue tinged light. Not as good in dusty or foggy conditions compared to halogen. It's the power consumption where HID and LED "shine". For the same amount of lighting output (I'm talking about the light that your eyes actually use to see here), the HID and LEDs draw a lot less power. Making them ideal for vehicles with low power generating capability like our XRs (even with upgraded stators and regulator/rectifiers).

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #17253
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Rigid LED for low-beam and La Paz HID to light up the world on HI-beam all on one 100w leg of Ricky Stator with power to spare.

Or if you want you can easily swing down the HID to shoot directly in front of your front tire and run both lights in traffic. Seldom get flashed that way. Flip up the HID some for max off road.
The Mexicans were sure flashing me!! I had mine pointed way down and nearly everybody flashed me. I found it strange because nobody does back here. I wonder if it's because it was so much brighter than everything else, where here there are lots of bright lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
The color of the light is different (technically called the temperature). The HID puts out a whiter, almost blue tinged light. Not as good in dusty or foggy conditions compared to halogen. It's the power consumption where HID and LED "shine". For the same amount of lighting output (I'm talking about the light that your eyes actually use to see here), the HID and LEDs draw a lot less power. Making them ideal for vehicles with low power generating capability like our XRs (even with upgraded stators and regulator/rectifiers).

You can get them in different temperatures, everything from purple to full on yellow.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #17254
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Buy the best connecting rod you can find, that is the weak link in that motor. Falicon are nice.
My XR big end seized - not sure why, the rest of the motor is mint. Unfortunately the bronze from the thrust washers scored the 11:1 Wiseco piston skirts so I need to replace that too

Here are the questions
Falicon or Carillo?
Wossner or JE?

The Falicon is $80.00 less than the Carillo
I read a lot of good things about the Wossner and it is $40 cheaper than the JE

I am also doing a Hotcams stage 1 (and maybe a flat slide when I have more cash)

Which piston/rod do you guys think? I don't mind paying for reliability (if there is such a thing with mods).

It is a motard if that makes a difference

Thanks
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #17255
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Thomas,

'tje' is a suffix the Dutch use for a smaller version, the Flemish use it to a lesser extent... you're shortass perhaps? It's what I meant by filling in the dots, 'Space Emperor' is a lot less saying than 'Iceland', just saying
If your bike has a steering lock then your bike's either Euro or Oz, but definitely no Cali version. And, if it has one your stator's more than enough for all the extra's you mention you want, even a normal H4 headlight for that matter.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #17256
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmwfo View Post
http://www.wossnerpistons.com/images...WOS-8718DA.swf
This is the Wossner link for their 11:1 piston. Different design than their 10:1.
My 11:1 Wiseco has a big hump on the top. Why is the Wossner 11:1 flat? Their 10:1 is dished

I googled the number on my Wiseco and it says it is an 11:1
Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #17257
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Thomas,

'tje' is a suffix the Dutch use for a smaller version, the Flemish use it to a lesser extent... you're shortass perhaps? It's what I meant by filling in the dots, 'Space Emperor' is a lot less saying than 'Iceland', just saying
If your bike has a steering lock then your bike's either Euro or Oz, but definitely no Cali version. And, if it has one your stator's more than enough for all the extra's you mention you want, even a normal H4 headlight for that matter.
Howdy BuRP
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #17258
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Chris,

wanna bet Crypto will tell you same as I did?
No CB, don't fuggen look up elsewhere before you answer the bloke , just straight from the hip!
And Chris, for U2, fill in the det's on your profile, too few boere here
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #17259
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Chris,

11:1 is fine for our altitude (5000 ft) but be careful at the coast, only use 98 petrol. Dunno, maybe the Wossner uses something like a squishband to shape their combustion chamber differently, if you ask me not a bad idea for this big jug - but I dunno for sure.
FYI, Crypto's a good dude, straight-talking as one can be.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #17260
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
Chris,

wanna bet Crypto will tell you same as I did?
No CB, don't fuggen look up elsewhere before you answer the bloke , just straight from the hip!
And Chris, for U2, fill in the det's on your profile, too few boere here
I am a Soutpiel but I did my 2 years so I guess I qualify
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #17261
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
Chris,

11:1 is fine for our altitude (5000 ft) but be careful at the coast, only use 98 petrol. Dunno, maybe the Wossner uses something like a squishband to shape their combustion chamber differently, if you ask me not a bad idea for this big jug - but I dunno for sure.
The bike is from the coast - only blew up here
Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #17262
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
Chris,

Shoot me Crypto
Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #17263
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
What I really meant to ask, Is it worthwhile going the HID route with the bigger price tag?

I've got an H7 kit in the ATM Adventure and it works relatively okay. I ust need to raise the beam, cos damn that thing is low!

Would the Ricky Stator be an easier means to the upgrade (instead of having mine rewound)
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #17264
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
My XR big end seized - not sure why, the rest of the motor is mint.
The big end is a known weak link. Especially when running as a motard. I lost my big end bearing on a road course. I rebuilt with a Wiseco 11:1 and Falicon Supercrank. Completely happy with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #17265
OR Trail
looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer: 341
Flywheel "T" orientation off?

I just picked up a BRP Sunday. I rode it on trails in the afternoon, then 615 road miles home on Monday. What a bike!

I figured a valve check was in order at the end of the trip. So the "T" on the flywheel doesn't line up with TDC - at least I don't think so. I checked a dozen times. The valves were under pressure and there was no play in the rocker arms, even if I backed the adjusters way out. If I just looked at the intakes rising, then checked the cyl through the spark plug hole to confirm piston location, the spot with play in the rockers did not line up with the T mark. Valves adjusted just fine with that method, and runs fine. I'm about to recheck them to make sure the decomp didn't come into play, but that shouldn't change the intakes or the left exhaust if I am understanding the TDC and valve relationship.

The flywheel has been out before, and the bike has a different clutch and stator. Is it possible that everything is fine and the T on the flywheel just didn't get reinstalled with its original orientation? If that's the case I'm not going to worry about it unless there is a reason to dig into it. Thanks for any insight.
OR Trail is offline   Reply With Quote