ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #17251
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..
 
BuRPsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria
Oddometer: 548
Chris,

11:1 is fine for our altitude (5000 ft) but be careful at the coast, only use 98 petrol. Dunno, maybe the Wossner uses something like a squishband to shape their combustion chamber differently, if you ask me not a bad idea for this big jug - but I dunno for sure.
FYI, Crypto's a good dude, straight-talking as one can be.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:52 PM   #17252
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Chris,

wanna bet Crypto will tell you same as I did?
No CB, don't fuggen look up elsewhere before you answer the bloke , just straight from the hip!
And Chris, for U2, fill in the det's on your profile, too few boere here
I am a Soutpiel but I did my 2 years so I guess I qualify
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #17253
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Chris,

11:1 is fine for our altitude (5000 ft) but be careful at the coast, only use 98 petrol. Dunno, maybe the Wossner uses something like a squishband to shape their combustion chamber differently, if you ask me not a bad idea for this big jug - but I dunno for sure.
FYI, Crypto's a good dude, straight-talking as one can be.
The bike is from the coast - only blew up here
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #17254
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Chris,

11:1 is fine for our altitude (5000 ft) but be careful at the coast, only use 98 petrol. Dunno, maybe the Wossner uses something like a squishband to shape their combustion chamber differently, if you ask me not a bad idea for this big jug - but I dunno for sure.
FYI, Crypto's a good dude, straight-talking as one can be.
Shoot me Crypto
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #17255
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
The color of the light is different (technically called the temperature). The HID puts out a whiter, almost blue tinged light. Not as good in dusty or foggy conditions compared to halogen. It's the power consumption where HID and LED "shine". For the same amount of lighting output (I'm talking about the light that your eyes actually use to see here), the HID and LEDs draw a lot less power. Making them ideal for vehicles with low power generating capability like our XRs (even with upgraded stators and regulator/rectifiers).
What I really meant to ask, Is it worthwhile going the HID route with the bigger price tag?

I've got an H7 kit in the ATM Adventure and it works relatively okay. I ust need to raise the beam, cos damn that thing is low!

Would the Ricky Stator be an easier means to the upgrade (instead of having mine rewound)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #17256
slickwill
Exhiled
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
My XR big end seized - not sure why, the rest of the motor is mint.
The big end is a known weak link. Especially when running as a motard. I lost my big end bearing on a road course. I rebuilt with a Wiseco 11:1 and Falicon Supercrank. Completely happy with it.



Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #17257
OR Trail
looks for unlocked gates
 
OR Trail's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 369
Flywheel "T" orientation off?

I just picked up a BRP Sunday. I rode it on trails in the afternoon, then 615 road miles home on Monday. What a bike!

I figured a valve check was in order at the end of the trip. So the "T" on the flywheel doesn't line up with TDC - at least I don't think so. I checked a dozen times. The valves were under pressure and there was no play in the rocker arms, even if I backed the adjusters way out. If I just looked at the intakes rising, then checked the cyl through the spark plug hole to confirm piston location, the spot with play in the rockers did not line up with the T mark. Valves adjusted just fine with that method, and runs fine. I'm about to recheck them to make sure the decomp didn't come into play, but that shouldn't change the intakes or the left exhaust if I am understanding the TDC and valve relationship.

The flywheel has been out before, and the bike has a different clutch and stator. Is it possible that everything is fine and the T on the flywheel just didn't get reinstalled with its original orientation? If that's the case I'm not going to worry about it unless there is a reason to dig into it. Thanks for any insight.
OR Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #17258
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
What I really meant to ask, Is it worthwhile going the HID route with the bigger price tag?

I've got an H7 kit in the ATM Adventure and it works relatively okay. I ust need to raise the beam, cos damn that thing is low!

Would the Ricky Stator be an easier means to the upgrade (instead of having mine rewound)

You can get HID kits for halogen bulb housings. Not ideal, but works. That's what I have. It's actually decent projection and beam pattern. It's an offroad light anyways so glare will always happen.

I have ~35,000 KM's this way with countless starts and stops and no issues.

Buying a prewound stator is the easiest. Then you'll need a regulator rectifier for HID. With a halogen bulb you won't.

Good idea to relay the headlight as well to avoid all the current going through a small switch and wiring.

As previously mentioned, fuses are a good idea too. Solid connectors and soldiering is recommended. Poor connections will be a nightmare finding issues.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #17259
achile
Gnarly Adventurer
 
achile's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Brasov, Romania
Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR Trail View Post
I just picked up a BRP Sunday. I rode it on trails in the afternoon, then 615 road miles home on Monday. What a bike!

I figured a valve check was in order at the end of the trip. So the "T" on the flywheel doesn't line up with TDC - at least I don't think so. I checked a dozen times. The valves were under pressure and there was no play in the rocker arms, even if I backed the adjusters way out. If I just looked at the intakes rising, then checked the cyl through the spark plug hole to confirm piston location, the spot with play in the rockers did not line up with the T mark. Valves adjusted just fine with that method, and runs fine. I'm about to recheck them to make sure the decomp didn't come into play, but that shouldn't change the intakes or the left exhaust if I am understanding the TDC and valve relationship.

The flywheel has been out before, and the bike has a different clutch and stator. Is it possible that everything is fine and the T on the flywheel just didn't get reinstalled with its original orientation? If that's the case I'm not going to worry about it unless there is a reason to dig into it. Thanks for any insight.
The piston reaches the top of his rotation two times per cycle. Once, with the valves compressed, once decompressed. If this isn't the issue, you shoud rotate the cranck until the valves are decompressed, check the position, take the cover off the cylinder head and check the cam sprocket. Take some pictures and post them.
p.s: also, check the piston position
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:26 AM   #17260
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
You can get HID kits for halogen bulb housings. Not ideal, but works. That's what I have. It's actually decent projection and beam pattern. It's an offroad light anyways so glare will always happen.

I have ~35,000 KM's this way with countless starts and stops and no issues.

Buying a prewound stator is the easiest. Then you'll need a regulator rectifier for HID. With a halogen bulb you won't.

Good idea to relay the headlight as well to avoid all the current going through a small switch and wiring.

As previously mentioned, fuses are a good idea too. Solid connectors and soldiering is recommended. Poor connections will be a nightmare finding issues.



Thanks buddy! Looks like im on the hunt for a Le paz...
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #17261
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR Trail View Post
I just picked up a BRP Sunday. I rode it on trails in the afternoon, then 615 road miles home on Monday. What a bike!

I figured a valve check was in order at the end of the trip. So the "T" on the flywheel doesn't line up with TDC - at least I don't think so. I checked a dozen times. The valves were under pressure and there was no play in the rocker arms, even if I backed the adjusters way out. If I just looked at the intakes rising, then checked the cyl through the spark plug hole to confirm piston location, the spot with play in the rockers did not line up with the T mark. Valves adjusted just fine with that method, and runs fine. I'm about to recheck them to make sure the decomp didn't come into play, but that shouldn't change the intakes or the left exhaust if I am understanding the TDC and valve relationship.

The flywheel has been out before, and the bike has a different clutch and stator. Is it possible that everything is fine and the T on the flywheel just didn't get reinstalled with its original orientation? If that's the case I'm not going to worry about it unless there is a reason to dig into it. Thanks for any insight.
You need to turn the flywheel at least 2 turns counter clockwise
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #17262
OR Trail
looks for unlocked gates
 
OR Trail's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by achile View Post
The piston reaches the top of his rotation two times per cycle. Once, with the valves compressed, once decompressed. If this isn't the issue, you shoud rotate the cranck until the valves are decompressed, check the position, take the cover off the cylinder head and check the cam sprocket. Take some pictures and post them.
p.s: also, check the piston position
Thank you for the replies. I re-checked my work. I rotated the back wheel a couple of cycles. With the piston at the top, and valves decompressed, valve clearances checked out. The "T" mark on the flywheel didn't line up though. When the T is at the top, visible in the sight hole) the valves are tight - on both cycles. Bike starts and runs great. I strongly suspect that the flywheel is oriented upside down (was probably pulled and reinstalled at a different point in its rotation). Is this possible? If so is it worth worrying about?
OR Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #17263
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post


Thanks buddy! Looks like im on the hunt for a Le paz...

I should also mention that I have the Trailtech Race Light. Not the Baja Designs.

It's the Halogen model with a 35 W HID kit in it. No point going 50W unless you want to pay for the proper bulbs which are not cheap. DDM tuning is my kit. I think it was like 40$. Has worked flawless for years of abuse.

I got the whitest light, but would almost want to venture into the yellow temperature next time. 4300? I think mines around 4500/4800k.

I have the same problem with my LED lightbar. The light is almost too white.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #17264
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR Trail View Post
Thank you for the replies. I re-checked my work. I rotated the back wheel a couple of cycles. With the piston at the top, and valves decompressed, valve clearances checked out. The "T" mark on the flywheel didn't line up though. When the T is at the top, visible in the sight hole) the valves are tight - on both cycles. Bike starts and runs great. I strongly suspect that the flywheel is oriented upside down (was probably pulled and reinstalled at a different point in its rotation). Is this possible? If so is it worth worrying about?
I don't think the flywheel can put on wrong. There is a woodruff key to position the flywheel on the crankshaft. If your timing mark and cams are out of sequence, it's due to the camchain and cam sprockets. They could be one tooth off and still run.

To verify the real TDC, put a long screwdriver or stick down the spark plug hole. Gently rotate the flywheel (or rear wheel while in a high gear) counter clockwise. While doing this, be careful you don't jam your stick/screwdriver in the spark plug hole. When the piston is at the top of the stroke at TDC, I'm sure you'll find the timing mark on the flywheel is correct. Now remove the valve cover (not just the valve adjustment ports) and verify that the sprocket/cam is aligned properly with the top of the head at TDC. There should be two marks on the sprocket that show this.
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #17265
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,666
Due to our terrain, all my dual sport buddies except two ride MX/Trail bikes. The other two are on a KTM 690 and another XRR.

This weekend I'll be doing a couple day dual sport ride. I'll be on the biggest and heaviest bike. We'll see how that goes. Next closest is a Husaberg 570, then a couple 450's and a 350. It's held it's own in the past on local rides, Moab, Baja, etc so I should be good.

I'll see if I can get some good pictures. We're still limited with snow blocking most passes, but I imagine we're going to check them out and see how far we can make it.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015