ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #17356
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Thinking about getting a Hotcams stage 1 - What is it like starting a BRP with no auto decompressor?
Would I need to put in a set of Kibble White valve springs with the above? Budget is getting a bit tight now.
No auto-decomp is no problem, once you get used to it. Starts are just as quick.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #17357
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
No auto-decomp is no problem, once you get used to it. Starts are just as quick.
Will I need a hip replacement?
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #17358
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Will I need a hip replacement?

No, but you will need to ditch the skirt and lay off the lip stick. It really doesn't take much to start it, but it will handle anything your right leg can throw at it.

Make sure you have a known good carb when you start it for the first time.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #17359
FlyGuy
MachineHead
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Middle of Highway 1 California
Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Will I need a hip replacement?
Once warm mine starts easier as you kick at a strategic point relative to TDC rather than in a random spot
.
Here is what I do- Pull in compression release and feel for the pressure on the release lever slowly kick till the pressure lightens up at the lever, this is where the exhaust valves are opening, let up on the release and kick with authority.

I am currently running the wossner 11-1 piston, falcon rod and HRC copy cam and all I can say is you will end up with a completely different bike when done. easier to ride in near all conditions Including dry slick.
The wossner piston has a higher compression than the Ross 11-1 so adding a cam would be my recommendation as to reduce the cylinder pressures at lower speeds.

Stock valve springs here
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #17360
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Once warm mine starts easier as you kick at a strategic point relative to TDC rather than in a random spot
.
Here is what I do- Pull in compression release and feel for the pressure on the release lever slowly kick till the pressure lightens up at the lever, this is where the exhaust valves are opening, let up on the release and kick with authority.

I am currently running the wossner 11-1 piston, falcon rod and HRC copy cam and all I can say is you will end up with a completely different bike when done. easier to ride in near all conditions Including dry slick.
The wossner piston has a higher compression than the Ross 11-1 so adding a cam would be my recommendation as to reduce the cylinder pressures at lower speeds.

Stock valve springs here
Is the HRC copy just a cut down stock cam?

I was hoping to get mine welded up and then profiled so I could keep the decompressor but the camshaft guys over here say the weld will not last.
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #17361
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Once warm mine starts easier as you kick at a strategic point relative to TDC rather than in a random spot
.
Here is what I do- Pull in compression release and feel for the pressure on the release lever slowly kick till the pressure lightens up at the lever, this is where the exhaust valves are opening, let up on the release and kick with authority.

I am currently running the wossner 11-1 piston, falcon rod and HRC copy cam and all I can say is you will end up with a completely different bike when done. easier to ride in near all conditions Including dry slick.
The wossner piston has a higher compression than the Ross 11-1 so adding a cam would be my recommendation as to reduce the cylinder pressures at lower speeds.

Stock valve springs here
With the same mods as you would I need upgraded clutch springs or are the stock ones fine?
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #17362
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Will I need a hip replacement?
Yes same here. Bike Starts very quick even when flooded.
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #17363
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Is the HRC copy just a cut down stock cam?

I was hoping to get mine welded up and then profiled so I could keep the decompressor but the camshaft guys over here say the weld will not last.

THe HRC copy is what it says; a copy of Honda's factory race cam. I think it falls in between the HotCams Stage 1 and 2. If you did do a regrind on the stock cam, you would probably need hard faced rockers too.

Forget the autocomp. Burpsa was able to find an original HRC with the auto, but it wasn't easy. I don't think it is worth the trouble. I don't miss mine at all.

I don't think I would worry about clutch springs either, although mine were done before the motor. The increase in power isn't going to be something that causes the clutch to suddenly start slipping.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 AM   #17364
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
THe HRC copy is what it says; a copy of Honda's factory race cam. I think it falls in between the HotCams Stage 1 and 2. If you did do a regrind on the stock cam, you would probably need hard faced rockers too.

Forget the autocomp. Burpsa was able to find an original HRC with the auto, but it wasn't easy. I don't think it is worth the trouble. I don't miss mine at all.

I don't think I would worry about clutch springs either, although mine were done before the motor. The increase in power isn't going to be something that causes the clutch to suddenly start slipping.
Yes, I was at BuRPSA's place on Saturday - he has the HRC mounted in a glass case with 3 attack dogs guarding it

Chris_W_65 screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 10:22 AM
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #17365
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird
 
Trl Rdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Lincoln, NE - The Tax me state
Oddometer: 2,030
I use Evans Coolant, stock rad cap.
Drain, flush with water, fill with Evans, start and open cap and wait for water left in system to steam off. Rinse out overflow bottle and put Evans in it.
Boils at about 430

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2 XR650r(s) 2001 & 2002 Plated
GL18HPM9 Titanium (Gold Wing)
CRF230F for the tight shit!
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #17366
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Yes, I was at BuRPSA's place on Saturday - he has the HRC mounted in a glass case with 3 attack dogs guarding it
When I pulled out $2000.00 for the HRC he had the dogs attack me but I managed to get away on the 650L - Lucky it is electric start
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #17367
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Yes, I was at BuRPSA's place on Saturday - he has the HRC mounted in a glass case with 3 attack dogs guarding it
Yup, that's the one. Those are the dogs that ate the bodies of the people he had to kill to get that item, so they are already familiar with eating human.

Everyday is a day I struggle with thoughts of going to Africa.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #17368
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl Rdr View Post
I use Evans Coolant, stock rad cap.
Drain, flush with water, fill with Evans, start and open cap and wait for water left in system to steam off. Rinse out overflow bottle and put Evans in it.
Boils at about 430

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

I am running the stock cap as well; 1.1? It took a lot to get it to boil, even in 90 F heat. Last week I put in some Purple Ice http://royalpurpleconsumer.com/produ...lant-additive/

It seems to have brough my oil temp down 10+ degrees on the high end, and seems slower to heat up when going slow.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #17369
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP
 
Lostsaffa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Cannon Hill, Brisbane
Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Yup, that's the one. Those are the dogs that ate the bodies of the people he had to kill to get that item, so they are already familiar with eating human.

Everyday is a day I struggle with thoughts of going to Africa.
It's only serious when Hyenas start getting used as guard dogs ;)
__________________
WTB: XR650R Johnny Campbell Signature Triple Clamps (Blue anodized), Please PM me if you know of any for sale for my 1x replica build!
Lostsaffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #17370
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsaffa View Post
It's only serious when Hyenas start getting used as guard dogs ;)
I think 2 of them were hyenas
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014