Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #17371
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die

Oddometer: 1,136
Hey all...new to this thread but I should've been in here a long time ago. I've got an '01 plated XR. Here's a video to break the ice.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #17372
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
When I pulled out $2000.00 for the HRC he had the dogs attack me but I managed to get away
He actually produced a dangerously thick wad of notes from his backpack, I kid you not!
Luckily my dogs can't be bribed

Chris, Crypto only struggles with visiting because he knows he's gonna want to stay here
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #17373
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Is the HRC copy just a cut down stock cam?

I was hoping to get mine welded up and then profiled so I could keep the decompressor but the camshaft guys over here say the weld will not last.
The HRC copy cam is a reground stock cam, with no weld buildup
It is able to do this as the base circle is reduced to increase lift and or duration
Once this is done the auto decompresser will not work.
It can use the stock rockers, I believe it is a cast cam.
Count on replacing your clutch springs once you are running and it wont surprise you if it needs them.
its a very easy fix if you need more clutch, I went with the EBC DRC kit and clutch slipping disappeared.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #17374
slickwill
Exhiled

Oddometer: 209
The auto decomp was already long gone when I bought my bike so I have no comparison but I find starting the bike to be pretty simple. Almost always one kick. I'm running a Wiseco 11:1 and essentially a Stage 3 cam (custom grind from WebCams). I was told that it has the HRC clutch springs. When I replaced the disks recently I measured the springs and they were in spec so I'm still running them and have never had any slip. I also have the judder spring mod so YMMV.
slickwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #17375
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Got off to a bad start on day one. Kept running into snow 5-10km from the trucks.

It was ok with us. The views we kept running into were worth it.

This hill was probably the longest, steepest decent I've ever been on. I've gone for miles in Colorado, but nothing this relenting. It kept going on, and on, and on. Eventually getting into some downed trees and overgrown trail that hasn't been used in years. We were in a "going down, never coming back up" situation where we didn't know if we could connect the dots between our maps.

Eventually it dropped us out onto a small drainage creek.

Getting back onto the trail on the other side was a bit of a relief. It was still overgrown, the constant decent was done.

Few more creeks along the way. Some with wet logs. Good times. The 650R loves logs from a stop. Quick stab of the clutch and the front goes over.

More creeks.

Shortly after that picture the trail stopped. We didn't know which way to go as it turned into washed out river, thick bush and a few small meadows. Eventually stopping because of slow progress, I wandered into the bush on foot with my GPS to see if I could map a bush wacking track to a trail we knew was only a few hundred meters away. After a few passes I found a pretty relaxed ride over. Tight, with some downed trees and soft spots, but we got through. The 650R had a fit when I stalled it after setting the skid plate down on a log. Because the hole was so large on the other side I knew I didn't have momentum to get across. It was about a knee high log, that wasn't the problem. It had a deep hole just prior to the log, a large dip on the other side, then trees. It had to go up, over, then compile a 90' turn at the same time. Old girl (or moreso myself,) just couldn't get it right. I banged on the plate, momentum moving forward, and then the rear wheel lifted off the ground and I couldn't go further. After stopping on the skidplate I pushed forward with legs and arms. Nadda. The pig showed her weight.

Because of all the walking, I was pretty beat at this point. Calling on a buddy to help me push the pig over the tree. During the push I slipped again and let the old girl stall. This old girl has been between my legs for more than a few miles, I knew even with the TM-40 she wasn't going to start up happily. I made this worse by a few half assed failed attemps at the "650R clearout/ kick".

Eventually, she sprung to life as if nothing was wrong. At that point the only thing wrong was I was hot, and my leg very tired. The funny thing is that quick BRAPP!!! to life, and you don't care.

Dropped the clutch, popped out of the hole, and the ride was on again!

We finished our bushwacking with some minor "threading" through the trees, popping out on a lightly used quad trail. We were so glad to get some speed we ripped down the trail, rolling the drops into the rivers and powering out the other sides. I love that feeling of getting somewhere and enjoying the energy, sweat, and possibly pain required to get there. I swear that's why I ride.

The next "morning" after lunch, we hit up a few viewpoints. The weather was great, even got to enjoy a twisty section of pavement to get those chicken stripes worn off..

Making our way up to a mine.

With some detours (ours saws aren't that big!)...

Adventure Spelunking.

After our cooling down adventure in the mine, we got back on it, riding up to some hot springs, then touring the back country into the mountains again.

At one point it turned into a stream.

And of course, because all adventures require some "change of plans"

We hit snow.... Now, because after a few beers, some good junk food, and crappy T.v' shows, our early "morning" departure had us fighting with time, and because of those ill prepared, gas levels.

We had decisions to make. Do we attempt to go over the pass, or do we back track, get gas, and ride 4-5 hours of pavement.

It went back and forth a bit, eventually deciding to go to a nearby lake and see if any campers with sell some gas. After two failed attempts at two campgrounds, we decided to slab it. Turning around was painful for me. The other route is nothing short of amazing, and the duration is much shorter, and gravel / dirt. It doesn't happen like that often.

As we were leaving we pass one last campground. The three bikes sped by, when my buddy and I stopped. We knew there was hope!. Thankfully for us, an extremely nice elderly couple said we could take a gallon of his generator gas. You can't understand how happy I was!

After catching the other guys and turning them around, we topped off the small gas tanks and headed east, back into the mountains.

Soon, coming to my favourite, lake.

It doesn't start to show here because how cameras work, but at this point it was getting to show it's time of day. In the mountains, that doesn't mean you have long. I decided to put the hammer down and make some time. If the proposed pass wasn't open, we'll be adding hours to our time. Keep in mind it's about 9:15, Sunday night, and we're ours away from the trucks, which are then hours back to the city, and I had to load my bike on my trailer and drive another 30 min or so to get home. I'm showing my age here, but I knew it was getting late. (My old man syndrome). Wasn't panicking, but just figuring an extra 30 min here, often turns into 3 hours later. Been here a few times to know that. Being that our group is pretty chill, we all knew this was the case, but it was the was it was. The ride has been spectacular up and till then. Not much a few hours riding in the dark can't dampen.

After holding the throttle solid at nearly 100-105km/hr sustained speeds over some fairly rocky and bumpy dirt road, things started to pick up and the next thing I know we're railing a super fun roller coaster. Tipping it in around corners and bringing the back end out. Another thing the 650R just loves to do.

There's always time to stop for a silly picture

After this, things started getting dark. We called the pass and went for it. The previous year I ran into 20' high slab of snow still from avy season. My hopes were high for this year though. At the very top there was a section of washed out road, but definitely nothing to be concerned about. We splashed upstream through the water. Because my buddy had chicken on his mind (long story), he put the pass on me and blasted down the trail. He knew gas (and 7-11) was not too far away and we were starting our decent.

Ariving in the small town, darkness soon fell. After eating and getting some gas, we suited up (I even put my rain gear on because it was cold!), and hit the highway. We had about a 50 minute slab ride back to the trucks. Time? Now 11:30.

The slab ride was entertaining at least. Three bikes with ridiculous brightness, one that couldn't dim his lights, and the fourth. The KTM headlight that might as well be a candle. I sat back, flipped up the HID, and riding adjacent to the Squadron that couldn't dim, he simply turned his light off, and the KTM followed all of us. The other guy scouted out deer (or in this case, Elk).

We loaded up with bikes, energy drinks, and beef jerky, and settled in for the truck ride back. Weekend adventures don't last forever. Always have mixed feelings about the ride home.

I got home and in bed at 4:30. Up at 5:30 to go to work. One of the best Monday's of my life.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 11:08 AM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #17376
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,243
Shibby!, I think I speak for all of us when I say I hate you......

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #17377
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post
Here's a video
Sorry, think Jed Corliss ruined that song for any other video.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #17378
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
He actually produced a dangerously thick wad of notes from his backpack, I kid you not!
Luckily my dogs can't be bribed

Chris, Crypto only struggles with visiting because he knows he's gonna want to stay here
Crypto, beware BuRPSA's dogs, one is trained at sniffing visitors backpacks, another is trained at biting balls and I believe the other is trained at sniffing ladies skirts - I can't confirm this as I wasn't wearing one and neither was BuRPSA
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #17379
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Thoughts on this noise? Loudest by crank bearings. Didn't go away with clutch pulled in, Didn't get worse under heavy load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31AbmjtnpX0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #17380
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 298
Shibby. Epic ride! and great pics. Good times for sure
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #17381
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Glad you like it. Our adventures tend to always end up like this. haha.

No idea how the TOI will turn out. I'm a little concerned about that one but we'll see where our pigs will take us. I know we're going to have to get to bed early and up at a reasonable hours to cover the miles every day. We tend to ride till dark normally, but our starting times are never spectacular.

I really wanted to go riding today but as you might have heard, our city is under water. Many of the bridges are washed out, especially on these back country roads used to access our riding locations. I'll probably still head out tomorrow for one reason or another.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #17382
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Thoughts on this noise? Loudest by crank bearings. Didn't go away with clutch pulled in, Didn't get worse under heavy load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Ab...e_gdata_player

Sounds like mine.

I think I've read that the counter balancer gear teeth make the knocking noise.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #17383
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
Sounds like mine.

I think I've read that the counter balancer gear teeth make the knocking noise.
Thanks. I hope so.

Can anyone else verify theirs sounds similar? Heading into Mexico and really don't want a failure down there..

Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #17384
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Thanks. I hope so.

Can anyone else verify theirs sounds similar? Heading into Mexico and really don't want a failure down there..

Whats the oil and filter look like?
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #17385
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

200miles ago looked good, felt good no grit.

Going to change it again in a couole days to check again.