Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #17416
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
[QUOTE=crypto666;21730057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post

It is before, but electrically its at the same time. Imagine instead of using the kill switch, which sends the coil power to ground, you stripped the wire and ground it before it gets to the handle bars.

Hello Kitty stickers also make your bike less likely to be stolen, and increase the chance of passing inspections.
Thanks, I like electrical it just makes my slow breathing head hurt.
I was thinking of using it as a power down so nothing drained the
battery but I think I should just stick to putting stickers on stuff. Seriously.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #17417
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Dried blood on the tank and handle bars will keep people from stealing it too, maybe scatter some spent shell casing around the scene, a little yellow crime scene tape, the bike isn't going anywhere.

Ah yea, those living in a properly working society.... have probably never heard of places where police vehicles are stolen from the parking lot at police stations in broad daylight. As we say here, Only in Africa...
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #17418
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
[QUOTE=Gunga Galunga;21732272]
Quote:

Thanks, I like electrical it just makes my slow breathing head hurt.
I was thinking of using it as a power down so nothing drained the
battery but I think I should just stick to putting stickers on stuff. Seriously.

Don't worry about the hurting head, I have a bit of electrical experience doing car and home audio, pool and spa electrical, some aircraft work, boats, etc. An none of those have caused headaches like the electrical on these bikes. There is just some weird stuff going on at times that I cannot explain.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #17419
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAxeYarYar View Post
Wondering how my oil consumption and MPG compares to others?

Oil - Every 700-750 I added 1/4 quart. It was about mid-way on the dipstick and 1/4 quart brought it right up to full. Sound about right? My buddy's KTM was using about double that.
Looks like a fun ride. How does it differ from the CDT? I've done that. NM surprised me. Beautiful state.

My oil consumption is usually a bit less than that. It only starts to burn it towards the end of the interval too (I do 2000km (1250mile) changes). I've had once where it dropped super fast for some reason. I've never been able to replicate it though...

Currently at around 1250km and it hasn't burned a drop yet.

For MPG, I'd get around mid 35's until I got my TM-40. Now I get 50-53MPG. A welcome return at the pump and extra range on the tank! I know it doesn't add to much at the pump, but when I've filled countless times I swear my TM has paid for itself.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #17420
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 780
XRR Oil and Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Looks like a fun ride. How does it differ from the CDT? I've done that. NM surprised me. Beautiful state.
Thanks for the info on oil and gas consumption....having your MPG bump up so much is great!

The route I put together is pretty much CDT from just south of Pie Town, up into CO. After that we head south again, down the Rio Grande River Gorge over Dunn Bridge, then to Taos and Whites Peak. From there, head south to Capitan and we hook up on the Guadalupe Rim.

Lots of challenges along the way, some locked gates to contend with....Parts of the route had to be left off as we adjusted on the fly.

Glad to see my XRR is about where it should be on oil consumption.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #17421
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Ah yea, those living in a properly working society.... have probably never heard of places where police vehicles are stolen from the parking lot at police stations in broad daylight. As we say here, Only in Africa...
Hey, it sounds like I might fit in there.

I guess in your case you would need to replace the dried blood with the entire corpse, maybe one that is already a bit smelly.

Seriously though, I think 90% of theives would not be able to get away on a xrr that has no auto-decomp. They would think it is broken.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #17422
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAxeYarYar View Post
Thanks for the info on oil and gas consumption....having your MPG bump up so much is great!

The route I put together is pretty much CDT from just south of Pie Town, up into CO. After that we head south again, down the Rio Grande River Gorge over Dunn Bridge, then to Taos and Whites Peak. From there, head south to Capitan and we hook up on the Guadalupe Rim.

Lots of challenges along the way, some locked gates to contend with....Parts of the route had to be left off as we adjusted on the fly.

Glad to see my XRR is about where it should be on oil consumption.

Haha. We had pie in pie town. They were kind enough to fill our camel backs with their spigot out back. You don't hear the word spigot much so it caught me off guard. haha.

Sounds like a fun ride. I'd ride in NM again. Fun times!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #17423
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Hey, it sounds like I might fit in there.
Erm, I'm absolutely sure you will, no hair's doubt. H2!

Quote:
I guess in your case you would need to replace the dried blood with the entire corpse, maybe one that is already a bit smelly.
This is where a Sangoma (witch doctor) comes in handy. Consult him (for a fee, of course) and he'll give you something to lay or drape on the bike. That will be effective - or a live snake, does not even have to be poisonous

Offroads are simply lifted on a pickup and sent to Mozambique, flogged there for peanuts. Only once there they'll sort out if it runs or not. I've stayed in a guesthouse, somewhat decent even, where the once-majestic lounge was littered with (near)identical scooters, all not running and some robbed for parts. Outside seemed to be a scrapyard for airconditioners, also a popular item stolen from cellular phone sites. Actually all quite normal, one sortof gets used to it.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #17424
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,391
Our rain stopped. I had to sneak out...

Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #17425
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
I know someone who stole the car he had stolen back from the Hillbrow (in South Africa) police station basement when he got bail before they could fingerprint it - with no car as evidence the case was chucked out of court
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #17426
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quick question: can you remove the engine as a complete unit from the frame or does the cylinder have to come off?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #17427
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Quick question: can you remove the engine as a complete unit from the frame or does the cylinder have to come off?

Pops right out whole
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #17428
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
Our rain stopped. I had to sneak out...

[/IMG]
Outstanding
Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #17429
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Pops right out whole
With the swingarm in place? I've got the swingarm bolt out but I guess I'm not seeing how I can get the engine to clear the rear mount to be removed

stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #17430
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
With the swingarm in place? I've got the swingarm bolt out but I guess I'm not seeing how I can get the engine to clear the rear mount to be removed

I did mine with the bike on its kick stand and used a hoist, which is cheating. You should be able to rotate the engine to clear the rear. Remove the top mounts too. Its tight, but it clears. Once everything is loose, maybe try laying it on its side.