ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #17416
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocAxeYarYar View Post
Thanks for the info on oil and gas consumption....having your MPG bump up so much is great!

The route I put together is pretty much CDT from just south of Pie Town, up into CO. After that we head south again, down the Rio Grande River Gorge over Dunn Bridge, then to Taos and Whites Peak. From there, head south to Capitan and we hook up on the Guadalupe Rim.

Lots of challenges along the way, some locked gates to contend with....Parts of the route had to be left off as we adjusted on the fly.

Glad to see my XRR is about where it should be on oil consumption.

Haha. We had pie in pie town. They were kind enough to fill our camel backs with their spigot out back. You don't hear the word spigot much so it caught me off guard. haha.

Sounds like a fun ride. I'd ride in NM again. Fun times!
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #17417
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..
 
BuRPsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria
Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Hey, it sounds like I might fit in there.
Erm, I'm absolutely sure you will, no hair's doubt. H2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I guess in your case you would need to replace the dried blood with the entire corpse, maybe one that is already a bit smelly.
This is where a Sangoma (witch doctor) comes in handy. Consult him (for a fee, of course) and he'll give you something to lay or drape on the bike. That will be effective - or a live snake, does not even have to be poisonous


Offroads are simply lifted on a pickup and sent to Mozambique, flogged there for peanuts. Only once there they'll sort out if it runs or not. I've stayed in a guesthouse, somewhat decent even, where the once-majestic lounge was littered with (near)identical scooters, all not running and some robbed for parts. Outside seemed to be a scrapyard for airconditioners, also a popular item stolen from cellular phone sites. Actually all quite normal, one sortof gets used to it.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #17418
stevh0
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,428
Our rain stopped. I had to sneak out...


__________________
06 950S
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 1150GS, 650R, Ex 950SE, Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #17419
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Ah yea, those living in a properly working society.... have probably never heard of places where police vehicles are stolen from the parking lot at police stations in broad daylight. As we say here, Only in Africa...
I know someone who stole the car he had stolen back from the Hillbrow (in South Africa) police station basement when he got bail before they could fingerprint it - with no car as evidence the case was chucked out of court
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #17420
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 146
Quick question: can you remove the engine as a complete unit from the frame or does the cylinder have to come off?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #17421
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Quick question: can you remove the engine as a complete unit from the frame or does the cylinder have to come off?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Pops right out whole
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #17422
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gunga Galunga's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northwest Back 40
Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
Our rain stopped. I had to sneak out...

[/IMG]
Outstanding
__________________
2001 Honda XR650R (Plated)
1992 Yamaha WR500ZD
Gunga Galunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #17423
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Pops right out whole
With the swingarm in place? I've got the swingarm bolt out but I guess I'm not seeing how I can get the engine to clear the rear mount to be removed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #17424
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
With the swingarm in place? I've got the swingarm bolt out but I guess I'm not seeing how I can get the engine to clear the rear mount to be removed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I did mine with the bike on its kick stand and used a hoist, which is cheating. You should be able to rotate the engine to clear the rear. Remove the top mounts too. Its tight, but it clears. Once everything is loose, maybe try laying it on its side.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #17425
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I did mine with the bike on its kick stand and used a hoist, which is cheating. You should be able to rotate the engine to clear the rear. Remove the top mounts too. Its tight, but it clears. Once everything is loose, maybe try laying it on its side.
I stood mine on a big UPS that was the right height - Took out the swingarm and pulled the motor out myself - Would suggest you rather get help or maybe put a cloth over the right side lower frame tube to prevent scratching cos I sat on the bike and pulled it out and then had to rest it on the frame while I hopped off the bike.
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #17426
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 146
Got it out by laying it on its side.

Too bad RMATV sent me the wrong flywheel puller and now I'm stuck waiting around...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #17427
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Got it out by laying it on its side.

Too bad RMATV sent me the wrong flywheel puller and now I'm stuck waiting around...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It seems like you can get away with just using a bolt with the correct threads. I could measure mine if you want. RMATV has fast shipping, so it shouldn't be too long. I got stuck there too.

While you are waiting, start preparing containers (I used sandwhich bags) to sort all your parts.

Don't forget to get some good case sealent also; Three Bond.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #17428
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 146
A 20x1.5mm bolt would work, if I could find one locally. I'm holed up in a very small town, so it looks like I'll be waiting til Monday. It's just frustrating, because I ordered the puller according to their drop-down menus to be bike-specific. Then I called them over the phone, and we went item by item through my order to verify everything was correct, and it is STILL the incorrect puller.

I just want to get to Baja and drink some kind of mind-numbing concoction!

And yes, I too am a fan of the grey goo known as 1104. Sadly, I've spent many-o-hour squishing a half used tube in one hand like a special-ed monkey with a banana, and finger painting away with the other.
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #17429
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,261
No Japanese heavy equipment parked near by?

Congratulations, your post is/was the top google hit for "special ed monkey finger painting."


Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Sadly, I've spent many-o-hour squishing a half used tube in one hand like a special-ed monkey with a banana, and finger painting away with the other.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #17430
FlyGuy
MachineHead
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Middle of Highway 1 California
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
A 20x1.5mm bolt would work, if I could find one locally. I'm holed up in a very small town, so it looks like I'll be waiting til Monday. It's just frustrating, because I ordered the puller according to their drop-down menus to be bike-specific. Then I called them over the phone, and we went item by item through my order to verify everything was correct, and it is STILL the incorrect puller.

I just want to get to Baja and drink some kind of mind-numbing concoction!

And yes, I too am a fan of the grey goo known as 1104. Sadly, I've spent many-o-hour squishing a half used tube in one hand like a special-ed monkey with a banana, and finger painting away with the other.
Pinchie LoCo Baja in Summer?
You can get the cases split without removing the flywheel.

You ever see one of these stands get if you can.
Engine removal no sweat here.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015