Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #17446
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
On the intake where the carb goes in I noticed a small threaded hole (with a bolt in it, looks OEM too). Looks perfect for a hot start. Thoughts? It looks pretty small but otherwise perfect. EDIT: it's probably too small. Damn it. Maybe I'll drill it out...or get an FCR, lol.

bamfslap screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 09:52 PM
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #17447
Benevolence
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Afternoon gentlemen. I was wondering if anyone's heard of putting YZ tank/seat/fairings on an XR650R (for SM purposes) instead of going that italia 450$ route. I saw a brief mention of it on SMJ (old thread) but no elaboration. Is this possible without major modifications (ie; heat gun and a 4 leaf clover)?
Benevolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #17448
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
What is the best way to get the lower bearing off the shaft? I have already destroyed it and snapped some of the lip off the inner race trying to knock it up the shaft.
One more thing worth mentioning, some countries got a small spigot installed on the trailing edge of the lower triple clamp which slots into a small indent on the bottom of the stem/shaft. You have to remove this before you can press the shaft out as mentioned by others above.

Oh and if anyone knows how to remove the spigot please let me know, cause I was never successful in my attempts!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #17449
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by digga1111 View Post
did this last Saturday night. ended up at 3 different emergency departments getting metal and rust scraped from my eye this week.
PUT ON SOME SAFETY GLASSES
Mine cut off perfect with a cutting wheel
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #17450
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
I see I'm not the only one doing these things this way
Chris, the red bit is tricky, and only clumsy/lazy/bookkeper types don't get it right.
Did I ever tell you I'm sometimes a clumsy lazy bookkeper?
I took it to my mate Jeremy at PRD as I have limited tools - He chopped it off with a cutting disc without damaging the stem - cost me a McDonalds lunch.

I also wanted to remove the 2 plates on the inside of the swingarm that have star screws locktite'd in - He welded m6 bolts to these and had them out in no time.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #17451
Klacasse
BRP Junkie

Oddometer: 18
hi guys,
i just bought a 2005 xrr that i am picking next week.
i want to be able to get 200 to 250km range of dual sport riding (vancouver island so mostly fast logging roads.) The bike just has the stk tank. Should i be looking at getting the big 6+ gal tank or would a 4.3 gal do. I am not to worried about size and weight, i wont be doing much tight or single track riding.
any input would be helpful
also in looking at the wolf man rollie bag saddle bag system has anyone tried this set-up on a xrr
Klacasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #17452
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
I took it to my mate Jeremy at PRD as I have limited tools - He chopped it off with a cutting disc without damaging the stem - cost me a McDonalds lunch.

I also wanted to remove the 2 plates on the inside of the swingarm that have star screws locktite'd in - He welded m6 bolts to these and had them out in no time.
Should I Locktite the machine screws into the swingarm with low grade Locktite when I replace them?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #17453
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klacasse View Post
hi guys,
i want to be able to get 200 to 250km range of dual sport riding (vancouver island so mostly fast logging roads.) The bike just has the stk tank. Should i be looking at getting the big 6+ gal tank or would a 4.3 gal do. I am not to worried about size and weight, i wont be doing much tight or single track riding.
also in looking at the wolf man rollie bag saddle bag system has anyone tried this set-up on a xrr

I bought my bike with a 4.6 gal (18l) Clarke. Its nice and narrow and feels like a stock bike. I needed 400km range and bought the 6gal Acerbis.

1st impressions were that it was pretty big and very noticeable when full and riding in sand. You can always run it half for the tougher trails and then fill it up when you hit the long road.

I think the smaller tank would do, but I prefer to have the range when I need it.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #17454
KonaTheHusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
hi guys,
Unless you're running some thirsty mods, 18 km/lt is a reasonable expectation. About what I get. You should be just fine with the med sized tank. I get 320km on my Clarke 4.3gal
KonaTheHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #17455
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
hi guys,
http://www.amazon.com/Acerbis-Fuel-T...erbis+gas+tank

I picked up a 6.3 gallon a while back and have no complaints. Nice to have the extra capacity if you need
woodsxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #17456
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
hi guys,
I was wondering about the rollie too. It looks pretty trick.
I am not real good with numbers, let alone metric, but I believe you should be able to get around 125 miles on the 4.3, multiplying 30 mpg times 4.3. I guess it depends how dependent you want to be on stations. (and throttle). It seems everybody loves their A/M tank here, no matter what the size or brand.
Have fun, I just picked up an 01 and the 4.3 should be here any day.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #17457
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post
I bought my bike with a 4.6 gal (18l) Clarke. Its nice and narrow and feels like a stock bike. I needed 400km range and bought the 6gal Acerbis.

1st impressions were that it was pretty big and very noticeable when full and riding in sand. You can always run it half for the tougher trails and then fill it up when you hit the long road.

I think the smaller tank would do, but I prefer to have the range when I need it.

Is that a Heidenau K60 on the rear? What size?
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #17458
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Last weekend out past Conconully. Had a great trip.

But all four of us would not fit on the XRR. Had to pile on the 1976 XL250 4up.

Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #17459
Klacasse
BRP Junkie

Oddometer: 18
ya i thought the rollie bag set-up would work pretty good, a little $$$ to get set-up but once you have the mount and a few bags you just take what you need for the day!!! plus there waterproof
Klacasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #17460
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 739
Baja Design Combo Switch

Hey,

Looking for an older LH combo switch for my R.

Not wanting to replace it with the new keyed ignition. Older style NLA.
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote