User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #17476
Mikl Freeman
Spaceship Earth!

Oddometer: 39
Population is growing...

Hello Folks! Good news ! We have increase in number of Saint-P XR riders..
My brother got his XR , which we bought from NJ..
Brother's bike at the left..

I got several question about parts and problems with my XR
after about 2000 km...
Firstly is the Eddy carb, after riding at 5000 rpm and higher for a long time, The Carb was very slow or wouldn't drop rpm to idle .. i think there is some mechanical problem with slider or needle.. Does anybody know what the solution might be?

Secondly I don't have a good compression on it and i think about full rebuild before I'll start my trip..So question about brand of the parts..
I already bought Wiseco piston with stock bore, now I think about XR'only Cyl sleeve, KibbleWhite or XR's only valve giudes, valves and springs..and all other is OEM like cam chain, bearings.. What do you think about my choice..!?

And Do anybody know what is the brand of this fender brace !? and Where is i can buy it?!

or like this !?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-BLAC...item2c6d775fb3

Thank you!

Mikl Freeman screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 04:36 PM
Mikl Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #17477
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I wasn't a big fan of the Enduro tank bag. Sold it to get the Coyote Wrap. Much better on the big 6.3.
Uh oh, lets hope it works ok on the 4.3.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #17478
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
Is it worth sticking the oversize Kibble White valves and springs in an XR650R?
I am getting the head flowed
11:1 Wossner
HRC cam
Falicon rod
Pumper carb
Air box side panel cut out
Full exhaust system

The guys flowing my head say it is not worth the extra $250.00

What do you guys think?
BTW, it is a motard
If you can get the stock size valves to center on the seats, your better off for future rebuilds.
The oversize valve is more for problems with worn seats.
I have rebuilt my high use cylinder head two times now and still have the stock seats and guides but next go will probably need the oversize valves
I found the XR head to be a good design very little work is necessary to get the flow
Sounds like you will have a beast on your hands
make sure you give a report once you get it broke-in
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #17479
Oddfellow
Beasty Rider

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl Freeman View Post
Hello Folks! Good news ! We have increase in number of Saint-P XR riders..
My brother got his XR , which we bought from NJ..
Brother's bike at the left..

after about 2000 km...
Firstly is the Eddy carb, after riding at 5000 rpm and higher for a long time, The Carb was very slow or wouldn't drop rpm to idle .. i think there is some mechanical problem with slider or needle.. Does anybody know what the solution might be?

Secondly I don't have a good compression on it and i think about full rebuild before I'll start my trip..So question about brand of the parts..
I already bought Wiseco piston with stock bore, now I think about XR'only Cyl sleeve, KibbleWhite or XR's only valve giudes, valves and springs..and all other is OEM like cam chain, bearings.. What do you think about my choice..!?

And Do anybody know what is the brand of this fender brace !? and Where is i can buy it?!

or like this !?

Thank you!
The one in your link looks like it will work. I bought one off Ebay a few years ago and it only had space for two fender bolts and also had the brace going through to the rad side. Actually pulled it out again yesterday thought I might "engineer" it to fit but it was too much. I wish I had the one pictured in your link, it looks lke it would bolt up fine.

2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
'02 BMW R1150 GS Adventure FOR SALE
'05 Honda XR650R (on the block next)
Oddfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #17480
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
[QUOTE=Mikl Freeman;21776527]

after about 2000 km...

I have 2 xr's both with Eddy carbs and they both had that problem. What i did was to put an extra wind in the circular return spring on the left side of the carb. A little finicky to do but not bad. Anyway it cured the problem on both carbs.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #17481
DualSpaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483

or like this !?

Thank you![/QUOTE]

The fender brace in the picture is an Acerbis model however I don't think they've made that one for a long time. I had one on my 87' KX250.
At one time, I think Maier made one very similar.
DualSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #17482
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
Uh oh, lets hope it works ok on the 4.3.

You might like it. I found it way too invading and affected body position, etc.

As for a fender, CRF450 fenders fit the XRR well enough. Some trimming/spacers required. They are a lot more stiff and look better IMO. I normally run with tire irons, pump, and tube on the fender no issues.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #17483
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
You might like it. I found it way too invading and affected body position, etc.

As for a fender, CRF450 fenders fit the XRR well enough. Some trimming/spacers required. They are a lot more stiff and look better IMO. I normally run with tire irons, pump, and tube on the fender no issues.
Shibby,
I appreciate the info. It would basically be used as a glovebox. I tend to ride standing up so it might also impede that? The bike is torn apart or I would do a trial fit.

On the fender, I assume (hope) you referring to the rear? I like the flatter style of that fender. A related project I will start in a few days is the BD LED dropdown taillamp. Back when I heard they sucked under at times. The Turbo City brace I got may help but I really don't know. Any thoughts? I am breaking all my rules and making multiple changes all at once on this build. I love this bike. Thanks to all on this forum for the help.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #17484
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
If you can get the stock size valves to center on the seats, your better off for future rebuilds.
I have rebuilt my high use cylinder head two times now and still have the stock seats and guides but next go will probably need the oversize valves
I found the XR head to be a good design very little work is necessary to get the flow
I was a bit dissapointed to find an 11:1 piston and HRC cam in my motor, I found the XRR's power to be a bit lacking and was hoping to get more out of her but there is not much room for improvement - I guess that happens when you downgrade from 178hp to 60'ish

Was at my cam/head guy today and asked him about ceramic coating the piston crown and he says I should do it ($30 here) - he also showed me a car head with ceramic coating in the exhaust ports , although he didn't suggest it for my bike I will ask him if it is worth doing to my head while he has it - I am looking at about $70 there

I think what I need is a turbo

I see Wiseco does a cam chain - is it better than the OEM one?
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #17485
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:

after about 2000 km...

Thank you!
I have no idea how many km's are on my bike, it is a 2003 with Wiseco 11:1 and HRC cam. Apart from the seized big end the rest of my motor is mint - I am replacing the oil pump and cam chain (about $100.00 for both) and obviously all gaskets and seals - Also my piston because it has score marks from the bronze bits in the oil. You will only know if you need to replace stuff when it is apart.
Not sure if you would need aftermarket valve springs, I was thinking about it but Hotcams say you can use stock springs on their stage 2. Also my head guy said the stock springs are fine and I shouldn't spend the money.

Also, why would you need a sleeve? The bore is nikasil - my 30 year old Porsche bores were still ok after who knows how much mileage.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #17486
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I think the oversize valves are for more than worn seat problems, the intake are 3mm bigger and the exhaust 1mm bigger. When I was at my head guy today I almost begged him to tell me to buy the oversize valves and the Kibble White springs but he says they don't really bother going the bigger valve route on any of the heads they do - very small gain for the money spent.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #17487
Mikl Freeman
Spaceship Earth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddfellow View Post
The one in your link looks like it will work. I bought one off Ebay a few years ago and it only had space for two fender bolts and also had the brace going through to the rad side. Actually pulled it out again yesterday thought I might "engineer" it to fit but it was too much. I wish I had the one pictured in your link, it looks lke it would bolt up fine.
Thank you for advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
Quote:

after about 2000 km...

I have 2 xr's both with Eddy carbs and they both had that problem. What i did was to put an extra wind in the circular return spring on the left side of the carb. A little finicky to do but not bad. Anyway it cured the problem on both carbs.

Sounds good Bro!..I'll try to fix it.. it should be work if it's mechanical problem.
If you have a two Eddy may be do you know your float level!? I used 3/4 of main needle column from full hight at my last tune up, i had 1/2 level before..Bike become runs better. but not from first kick..may be it's poor compression..mine is 7-8 on hot engine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSpaz View Post

or like this !?

Thank you!
The fender brace in the picture is an Acerbis model however I don't think they've made that one for a long time. I had one on my 87' KX250.
At one time, I think Maier made one very similar.
Yeah i thought about Acerbis..but couldn't find it..
Thank you for advice, i bought one of old style Maier today..
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #17488
Mikl Freeman
Spaceship Earth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
I have no idea how many km's are on my bike, it is a 2003 with Wiseco 11:1 and HRC cam. Apart from the seized big end the rest of my motor is mint - I am replacing the oil pump and cam chain (about $100.00 for both) and obviously all gaskets and seals - Also my piston because it has score marks from the bronze bits in the oil. You will only know if you need to replace stuff when it is apart.
Not sure if you would need aftermarket valve springs, I was thinking about it but Hotcams say you can use stock springs on their stage 2. Also my head guy said the stock springs are fine and I shouldn't spend the money.

Also, why would you need a sleeve? The bore is nikasil - my 30 year old Porsche bores were still ok after who knows how much mileage.
You are right! I would see that i need to replace only when it will apart..but we don't have any dealers with parts in stock, so we always need to do several steps ahead..
I think to do full head rebuild and I thought about new valves and springs if Oem is best long life way I of course will take it..
Sleeves is same... but I agree Nikasil is really long life coating..
Thank you for advice! Now I think I will add hot cams too..but with stock compression piston.

One more question about Oil eating...Does your pig eat the oil!?
Mine is really hungry..but not smoky ..

Mikl Freeman screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 08:16 PM
Mikl Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #17489
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
Shibby,
I appreciate the info. It would basically be used as a glovebox. I tend to ride standing up so it might also impede that? The bike is torn apart or I would do a trial fit.

On the fender, I assume (hope) you referring to the rear? I like the flatter style of that fender. A related project I will start in a few days is the BD LED dropdown taillamp. Back when I heard they sucked under at times. The Turbo City brace I got may help but I really don't know. Any thoughts? I am breaking all my rules and making multiple changes all at once on this build. I love this bike. Thanks to all on this forum for the help.

Nope, I was talking about the front fender... I still rock the stock rear fender. I do have minor bracing, but with just a license plate, I sometimes suck that up in the tire and spit it out. Lost more than a few. One of them missing in New Mexico.... and Baja.... and our backyard in B.C....

For a tailight I just have the DRC LED insert. Works pretty good! Simple, and cheap. It does not provide a proper plate mount though.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #17490
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER

Quote:
You are right! I would see that i need to replace only when it will apart..but we don't have any dealers with parts in stock, so we always need to do several steps ahead..
I think to do full head rebuild and I thought about new valves and springs if Oem is best long life way I of course will take it..
Sleeves is same... but I agree Nikasil is really long life coating..
Thank you for advice! Now I think I will add hot cams too..but with stock compression piston.

One more question about Oil eating...Does your pig eat the oil!?
Mine is really hungry..but not smoky ..
I only rode mine for 1000km but it used no oil

I can also not get parts locally, I was hoping to order my parts ASAP but it has been 5 weeks since I started stripping. I keep finding more stuff to replace like chain guides and suspension/head bearings. All my stuff is coming in 2 sepearate parcels, one from HondaParts-Direct.com and the other from XRsOnly. Remember you want to be receiving as few parcels as possible as shipping is not cheap.