ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #17476
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
If you can get the stock size valves to center on the seats, your better off for future rebuilds.
The oversize valve is more for problems with worn seats.
I have rebuilt my high use cylinder head two times now and still have the stock seats and guides but next go will probably need the oversize valves
I found the XR head to be a good design very little work is necessary to get the flow
Sounds like you will have a beast on your hands
make sure you give a report once you get it broke-in
I was a bit dissapointed to find an 11:1 piston and HRC cam in my motor, I found the XRR's power to be a bit lacking and was hoping to get more out of her but there is not much room for improvement - I guess that happens when you downgrade from 178hp to 60'ish

Was at my cam/head guy today and asked him about ceramic coating the piston crown and he says I should do it ($30 here) - he also showed me a car head with ceramic coating in the exhaust ports , although he didn't suggest it for my bike I will ask him if it is worth doing to my head while he has it - I am looking at about $70 there

I think what I need is a turbo

I see Wiseco does a cam chain - is it better than the OEM one?
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #17477
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl Freeman View Post

I got several question about parts and problems with my XR
after about 2000 km...
Firstly is the Eddy carb, after riding at 5000 rpm and higher for a long time, The Carb was very slow or wouldn't drop rpm to idle .. i think there is some mechanical problem with slider or needle.. Does anybody know what the solution might be?

Secondly I don't have a good compression on it and i think about full rebuild before I'll start my trip..So question about brand of the parts..
I already bought Wiseco piston with stock bore, now I think about XR'only Cyl sleeve, KibbleWhite or XR's only valve giudes, valves and springs..and all other is OEM like cam chain, bearings.. What do you think about my choice..!?



Thank you!
I have no idea how many km's are on my bike, it is a 2003 with Wiseco 11:1 and HRC cam. Apart from the seized big end the rest of my motor is mint - I am replacing the oil pump and cam chain (about $100.00 for both) and obviously all gaskets and seals - Also my piston because it has score marks from the bronze bits in the oil. You will only know if you need to replace stuff when it is apart.
Not sure if you would need aftermarket valve springs, I was thinking about it but Hotcams say you can use stock springs on their stage 2. Also my head guy said the stock springs are fine and I shouldn't spend the money.

Also, why would you need a sleeve? The bore is nikasil - my 30 year old Porsche bores were still ok after who knows how much mileage.
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #17478
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
If you can get the stock size valves to center on the seats, your better off for future rebuilds.
The oversize valve is more for problems with worn seats.
I have rebuilt my high use cylinder head two times now and still have the stock seats and guides but next go will probably need the oversize valves
I found the XR head to be a good design very little work is necessary to get the flow
Sounds like you will have a beast on your hands
make sure you give a report once you get it broke-in
I think the oversize valves are for more than worn seat problems, the intake are 3mm bigger and the exhaust 1mm bigger. When I was at my head guy today I almost begged him to tell me to buy the oversize valves and the Kibble White springs but he says they don't really bother going the bigger valve route on any of the heads they do - very small gain for the money spent.
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #17479
Mikl Freeman
Spaceship Earth!
 
Mikl Freeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Saint-P
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddfellow View Post
The one in your link looks like it will work. I bought one off Ebay a few years ago and it only had space for two fender bolts and also had the brace going through to the rad side. Actually pulled it out again yesterday thought I might "engineer" it to fit but it was too much. I wish I had the one pictured in your link, it looks lke it would bolt up fine.
Thank you for advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl Freeman View Post


I got several question about parts and problems with my XR
after about 2000 km...
Firstly is the Eddy carb, after riding at 5000 rpm and higher for a long time, The Carb was very slow or wouldn't drop rpm to idle .. i think there is some mechanical problem with slider or needle.. Does anybody know what the solution might be?


I have 2 xr's both with Eddy carbs and they both had that problem. What i did was to put an extra wind in the circular return spring on the left side of the carb. A little finicky to do but not bad. Anyway it cured the problem on both carbs.

Sounds good Bro!..I'll try to fix it.. it should be work if it's mechanical problem.
If you have a two Eddy may be do you know your float level!? I used 3/4 of main needle column from full hight at my last tune up, i had 1/2 level before..Bike become runs better. but not from first kick..may be it's poor compression..mine is 7-8 on hot engine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSpaz View Post
And Do anybody know what is the brand of this fender brace !? and Where is i can buy it?!


or like this !?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-BLAC...item2c6d775fb3


Thank you!
The fender brace in the picture is an Acerbis model however I don't think they've made that one for a long time. I had one on my 87' KX250.
At one time, I think Maier made one very similar.
Yeah i thought about Acerbis..but couldn't find it..
Thank you for advice, i bought one of old style Maier today..
__________________
Destiny in Your Hands, Freedom in Our Hearts!
Mikl Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #17480
Mikl Freeman
Spaceship Earth!
 
Mikl Freeman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Saint-P
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_65 View Post
I have no idea how many km's are on my bike, it is a 2003 with Wiseco 11:1 and HRC cam. Apart from the seized big end the rest of my motor is mint - I am replacing the oil pump and cam chain (about $100.00 for both) and obviously all gaskets and seals - Also my piston because it has score marks from the bronze bits in the oil. You will only know if you need to replace stuff when it is apart.
Not sure if you would need aftermarket valve springs, I was thinking about it but Hotcams say you can use stock springs on their stage 2. Also my head guy said the stock springs are fine and I shouldn't spend the money.

Also, why would you need a sleeve? The bore is nikasil - my 30 year old Porsche bores were still ok after who knows how much mileage.
You are right! I would see that i need to replace only when it will apart..but we don't have any dealers with parts in stock, so we always need to do several steps ahead..
I think to do full head rebuild and I thought about new valves and springs if Oem is best long life way I of course will take it..
Sleeves is same... but I agree Nikasil is really long life coating..
Thank you for advice! Now I think I will add hot cams too..but with stock compression piston.

One more question about Oil eating...Does your pig eat the oil!?
Mine is really hungry..but not smoky ..
__________________
Destiny in Your Hands, Freedom in Our Hearts!

Mikl Freeman screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 08:16 PM
Mikl Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #17481
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Currently - Canada
Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
Shibby,
I appreciate the info. It would basically be used as a glovebox. I tend to ride standing up so it might also impede that? The bike is torn apart or I would do a trial fit.

On the fender, I assume (hope) you referring to the rear? I like the flatter style of that fender. A related project I will start in a few days is the BD LED dropdown taillamp. Back when I heard they sucked under at times. The Turbo City brace I got may help but I really don't know. Any thoughts? I am breaking all my rules and making multiple changes all at once on this build. I love this bike. Thanks to all on this forum for the help.

Nope, I was talking about the front fender... I still rock the stock rear fender. I do have minor bracing, but with just a license plate, I sometimes suck that up in the tire and spit it out. Lost more than a few. One of them missing in New Mexico.... and Baja.... and our backyard in B.C....

For a tailight I just have the DRC LED insert. Works pretty good! Simple, and cheap. It does not provide a proper plate mount though.
__________________
Tour of Idaho T1 Challenge - https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...551f1642711d75
Eat. Sleep. Ride - The Great Divide: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19193704
Go, Get Lost - Heading South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735690
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #17482
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikl Freeman View Post
You are right! I would see that i need to replace only when it will apart..but we don't have any dealers with parts in stock, so we always need to do several steps ahead..
I think to do full head rebuild and I thought about new valves and springs if Oem is best long life way I of course will take it..
Sleeves is same... but I agree Nikasil is really long life coating..
Thank you for advice! Now I think I will add hot cams too..but with stock compression piston.

One more question about Oil eating...Does your pig eat the oil!?
Mine is really hungry..but not smoky ..
I only rode mine for 1000km but it used no oil

I can also not get parts locally, I was hoping to order my parts ASAP but it has been 5 weeks since I started stripping. I keep finding more stuff to replace like chain guides and suspension/head bearings. All my stuff is coming in 2 sepearate parcels, one from HondaParts-Direct.com and the other from XRsOnly. Remember you want to be receiving as few parcels as possible as shipping is not cheap.
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #17483
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..
 
BuRPsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria
Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
make sure you give a report once you get it broke-in
Yea FlyGuy, Chris'll be broke allright
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #17484
Chris_W_65
XR KILLER
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Souf Efrica
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Yea FlyGuy, Chris'll be broke allright
I might auction my HRC cam
Chris_W_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #17485
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 154
Need some help asap.

Machine shop has my crank for pressing on a new rod. They just called me and said that in the big end being one of the rollers is .004" bigger than the rest and that the cage also is missing one roller.

This sounds crazy to me. He said he could probably find new two rollers to take care of it. Is there ANY reason that he shouldn't replace them?

If anyone has a con-rod kit sitting around and could look at theirs it would be appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 usin Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #17486
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..
 
BuRPsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Pretoria
Oddometer: 548
Stunt,

can't help but you can, by telling us what brand/type conrod/kit you have put in, so others can scrutinize theirs when they get it.
Rather strange (bad QA/QC) that 1 roller is a different size, never mind the qty is wrong.

The shop who's doing the work no doubt will have a fitting roller, I'd go for that - if it's a new one that is, no used stuff.
Mind though, I'd be on the neck of whoever did supply this to me, like lightning out of a jaxinthebox kinda thing!

(Edit: if you're an anal type (no offence eh?) then have them mount the 2 'different' rollers at 180 degrees from each other, ie not next to each other)
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #17487
FlyGuy
MachineHead
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Middle of Highway 1 California
Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuntheavy View Post
Need some help asap.

Machine shop has my crank for pressing on a new rod. They just called me and said that in the big end being one of the rollers is .004" bigger than the rest and that the cage also is missing one roller.

This sounds crazy to me. He said he could probably find new two rollers to take care of it. Is there ANY reason that he shouldn't replace them?

If anyone has a con-rod kit sitting around and could look at theirs it would be appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I535 usin Tapatalk 2
There are three replacement Rods I know of for the XR650r

PRO-X comes as a stock replacement with all the big end parts included

Falicon usually comes from XRs only and they supply the Big end parts with there rods. If you got a falicon from someone else Idd call XRs only and try to get the big end pin and bearing from them. Also the falicon rod uses a different bearing
I commented on that here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post21551140

Then there is Carrillo they don't supply the bearing or pin. and good luck finding them, I have spent alot of time trying to find a supplier with limited results

So if you have ether PRO-X or the XRs only Falicon they are responsible to supply the proper big end pin and bearing
and if you don't let us know what you figure out.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #17488
stuntheavy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Tejas
Oddometer: 154
Its a Pro-x rod kit from RMATV.

Figures this would be my luck; cross country from home

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
stuntheavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #17489
atreiou
XR 650R Rider
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Verona - Italy
Oddometer: 61
my two piggies

















atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #17490
slabm7
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Cochrane, AB
Oddometer: 316
2 of the best looking XR's I've seen, beautiful bikes!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by atreiou View Post
my two piggies

















__________________
03 Honda XR650R dual sported
1999 Honda VTR1000


Nobody EVER lies on their death bed and says "I should have worked more".
slabm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015