Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #17611
evl_twn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFanMan View Post
What part of the TAT are you running? There's a big difference between the eastern and western sections from my understanding and will dictate what tires you need.
Eastern - I'll probably catch up somewhere in western TN then tag along for four or five days rolling westward then break off and head for home.
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #17612
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by evl_twn View Post
Eastern - I'll probably catch up somewhere in western TN then tag along for four or five days rolling westward then break off and head for home.

I'd run the TKC's on the 'tard wheels.
larryboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #17613
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Then I about broke my right ankle at a punk show

You missed the small font warning in the XRR manual. Only left ankle braking allowed, when you own a XRR. My BRP broke my left ankle, still took forever to heal thou...

I going to keep it till Honda pulls their head out of their ass, or till I break my right ankle...whichever comes first.

Hay LB,
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #17614
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
So I took the XR out for the 1st time Wednesday. Had some awesome fun hitting about 250 miles of single track, two track, atv trails, and gravel roads. On the way home, Something in the motor broke... All of the sudden I lost compression and then clunk, CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK!!! Piston slap galore. I need to now tear into the motor to see what failed. Aren't these bikes supposed to be built for baja1000? I destroyed it doing Idaho250...
Sorry to hear about the break. Any idea yet what caused it?
Old 07-23-2013, 11:41 PM   #17615
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
Sorry to hear about the break. Any idea yet what caused it?

Talked to the guys at moto one, they said they've only experienced crank issues with this bike (usually when ran at wot for long periods of time). they will be tearing into it soon to fully diagnose the issue. But they are pretty sure that is the issue.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #17616
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Talked to the guys at moto one, they said they've only experienced crank issues with this bike (usually when ran at wot for long periods of time). they will be tearing into it soon to fully diagnose the issue. But they are pretty sure that is the issue.

Did you do a lot of lugging during your 250 miles of single track? That is a lot of slow miles, and I think slow stuff starves the rod of oil.

I always make sure to rev the motor regularly when doing slow stuff to keep the rod lubed.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #17617
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
How was your oil level?
Old 07-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #17618
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Did you do a lot of lugging during your 250 miles of single track? That is a lot of slow miles, and I think slow stuff starves the rod of oil.

I always make sure to rev the motor regularly when doing slow stuff to keep the rod lubed.
It was fine all day, never lugged the motor (slow tight stuff ocasionally, but mainly riding between 25-45 on single track/atv 2 track, and 50-75 down gravel/fire roads). It was after the 250 miles, when I popped on the freeway home. about 35 min cruising around 75 mph is when I lost power and heard the knocking. The shop is going to drain the oil, and cut into the filter today to see if there is any brass to see if it's the crank.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #17619
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
It was fine all day, never lugged the motor (slow tight stuff ocasionally, but mainly riding between 25-45 on single track/atv 2 track, and 50-75 down gravel/fire roads). It was after the 250 miles, when I popped on the freeway home. about 35 min cruising around 75 mph is when I lost power and heard the knocking. The shop is going to drain the oil, and cut into the filter today to see if there is any brass to see if it's the crank.
What year bike is it. We've seen quite a few early year bikes have issues with rod bearings. I take a particular interest since I have a 2002
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #17620
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,043
Just a shameless plug here, I'm selling my 2003. Link is below in my sig...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #17621
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Yo Hodaka,

you once sold your Piglet, same like Chris did (I believe?).
I was wondering, you never got pining back for it? And if not, what did you replace it with & what kinda riding do you do?
Just curious...

Btw, shameless support here for your braces, they're decent stuff
I never did sell the XRR, I should cause it's just been sitting. We recently did a 3 day ride on the big bikes, AtomicXRer was there riding red. I chose to take the 525 which worked really well for this ride, so did Atomic's XRR

I rate the XRR and the 525 RFS close to the same, HP is very similar, KTM edges out the Honda in handling and weight but it's not a huge difference. The Honda wins in reliability and less maint but the KTM isn't bad in that regard. The XRR will be cheaper to buy and maintain but the difference hasn't been significant for me. The weight difference, elec start and wide ratio 6sp were the biggest reasons for my switch plus I wanted to ride something different for awhile.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #17622
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
what year bike is it. We've seen quite a few early year bikes have issues with rod bearings. I take a particular interest since i have a 2002
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #17623
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
That certainly falls into the early here bikes. Please post up what actually fail I would love to find out just as much as I believe you want to find out
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #17624
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I never did sell the XRR
AH!!
Still a pal then
Mind, the Katoom 690 ain't a bad bike either, but reliability wise the XR hasn't got any close peers I think. Wouldn't mind a try a 520/525 sometime, or a Beta.

As per usual sterling music, and your son (I think?) is riding well. You lucky gits you, that is awesome country!
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:35 PM   #17625
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
AH!!
Still a pal then
Mind, the Katoom 690 ain't a bad bike either, but reliability wise the XR hasn't got any close peers I think. Wouldn't mind a try a 520/525 sometime, or a Beta.

As per usual sterling music, and your son (I think?) is riding well. You lucky gits you, that is awesome country!
Thanks, he wasn't along on this one, just us old guys.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote