Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #17611
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Anyone have any better luck than me with the Failsafe thermostats? I picked one up to install in my bike and it appears to have failed open after 3 months?

I'm gonna give another one a shot and I guess if it fails i'll go back to running w/o a thermostat.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #17612
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Anyone have any better luck than me with the Failsafe thermostats? I picked one up to install in my bike and it appears to have failed open after 3 months?

I'm gonna give another one a shot and I guess if it fails i'll go back to running w/o a thermostat.
I have realigned the parts and the thermostat will close and work again.
Not sure if that is your case?
The XRs Only thermostats have worked the longest for me not sure who makes them?
But the best solution so far has been to add a fan then the thermostat wont open so far as to come apart.
But that requires a DC system and such so?
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #17613
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
I have realigned the parts and the thermostat will close and work again.
Not sure if that is your case?
The XRs Only thermostats have worked the longest for me not sure who makes them?
But the best solution so far has been to add a fan then the thermostat wont open so far as to come apart.
But that requires a DC system and such so?
I've done that once already. I pulled the thermostat out, found it stuck open. I "unstuck it" and then proceeded to test it in a pot of water. It appeared to work normal, and even closed up correctly after cooling down. So I figured I fixed it =)

Looks like its open again? I'm gonna check it out when I do a coolant change later this month.

I did install a SPAL fan last month, but have not gotten much use of it yet, its actually been pretty cool.

I did note that there is a 195* version of the Motorad (failsafe) thermostat. I might try that one, since its closer to the OEM specs.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #17614
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Yo Hodaka,

you once sold your Piglet, same like Chris did (I believe?).
I was wondering, you never got pining back for it? And if not, what did you replace it with & what kinda riding do you do?
Just curious...

Btw, shameless support here for your braces, they're decent stuff
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #17615
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
I've done that once already. I pulled the thermostat out, found it stuck open. I "unstuck it" and then proceeded to test it in a pot of water. It appeared to work normal, and even closed up correctly after cooling down. So I figured I fixed it =)

Looks like its open again? I'm gonna check it out when I do a coolant change later this month.

I did install a SPAL fan last month, but have not gotten much use of it yet, its actually been pretty cool.

I did note that there is a 195* version of the Motorad (failsafe) thermostat. I might try that one, since its closer to the OEM specs.

I have been running the xrsonly for 2? years now and checked it last week and it is still in working order.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #17616
evl_twn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wheel/tire suggestions?

I'm planning on a bit of a road/trail trip next month, and would like some input on what tires to get. Right now, my XR is set up as a motard, street legal if I put the Baja Designs kit back on. It's still set up for the track right now:

http://www.rc30.us/images/track/grat...x09/04572L.jpg

Here's the plan: heading south from IL and slabbing the interstate about 500 miles to meet up with a friend to run 4-5 days on the TAT, then slab home so I'll need something that will grip in the TAT, but still function for the ride down and back. I converted to the motard wheels right after I bought the bike, but I still have the stock wheels.

I've been looking at both TKC's and K60's, but the bigger question is which wheel set to run? I can get acceptable tire sizes for either wheel set, the TKC is available in 120/70-17 front and 150/70-17 rear so they would fit right up on the 'tard wheels. I could probably use the 120/90-17 and 150/70-17 K60's also, or mix and match the TKC front with K60 rear.

Or, either tire set on the stock wheels. The big question for me is what wheel set would be the best for the oddball mixture of interstates and TAT?
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #17617
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
you once sold your Piglet, same like Chris did (I believe?).
I was wondering, you never got pining back for it? And if not, what did you replace it with & what kinda riding do you do?
Just curious...

I sold my first XRR, well, traded it for another bike. That one was fully dialed in, ride around the world style. I didn't have any trips planned and it was collecting dust.

Found a screaming deal on another one. Was in the process of plating it, put a DS wiring kit and head light on it. Then I about broke my right ankle at a punk show , yeah, I know...I'm too old, but damn it's fun!! I passed the bike onto another inmate for what I had into it. A buddy came over Sunday with an old kick only XR600 and almost a year after I hurt my ankle I couldn't kick it over.

I only ride alone and I'm done with kick only bikes. I wish Honda would put an electric start 650R engine in an updated street legal bike and I'd buy one.

The only thumper I see in my future is a new Beta 520 because they make their own engines now and it has an FCR carb on it. It's as close as I can find to an electric start XR650R, it's lighter by 50 pounds so it should perform about the same as the big XRR.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #17618
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by evl_twn View Post
I'm planning on a bit of a road/trail trip next month, and would like some input on what tires to get. Right now, my XR is set up as a motard, street legal if I put the Baja Designs kit back on. It's still set up for the track right now:

http://www.rc30.us/images/track/grat...x09/04572L.jpg

Here's the plan: heading south from IL and slabbing the interstate about 500 miles to meet up with a friend to run 4-5 days on the TAT, then slab home so I'll need something that will grip in the TAT, but still function for the ride down and back. I converted to the motard wheels right after I bought the bike, but I still have the stock wheels.

I've been looking at both TKC's and K60's, but the bigger question is which wheel set to run? I can get acceptable tire sizes for either wheel set, the TKC is available in 120/70-17 front and 150/70-17 rear so they would fit right up on the 'tard wheels. I could probably use the 120/90-17 and 150/70-17 K60's also, or mix and match the TKC front with K60 rear.

Or, either tire set on the stock wheels. The big question for me is what wheel set would be the best for the oddball mixture of interstates and TAT?
What part of the TAT are you running? There's a big difference between the eastern and western sections from my understanding and will dictate what tires you need.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #17619
evl_twn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFanMan View Post
What part of the TAT are you running? There's a big difference between the eastern and western sections from my understanding and will dictate what tires you need.
Eastern - I'll probably catch up somewhere in western TN then tag along for four or five days rolling westward then break off and head for home.
evl_twn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #17620
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by evl_twn View Post
Eastern - I'll probably catch up somewhere in western TN then tag along for four or five days rolling westward then break off and head for home.

I'd run the TKC's on the 'tard wheels.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #17621
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Then I about broke my right ankle at a punk show

You missed the small font warning in the XRR manual. Only left ankle braking allowed, when you own a XRR. My BRP broke my left ankle, still took forever to heal thou...

I going to keep it till Honda pulls their head out of their ass, or till I break my right ankle...whichever comes first.

Hay LB,
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #17622
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
So I took the XR out for the 1st time Wednesday. Had some awesome fun hitting about 250 miles of single track, two track, atv trails, and gravel roads. On the way home, Something in the motor broke... All of the sudden I lost compression and then clunk, CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK!!! Piston slap galore. I need to now tear into the motor to see what failed. Aren't these bikes supposed to be built for baja1000? I destroyed it doing Idaho250...
Sorry to hear about the break. Any idea yet what caused it?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #17623
MingRidesBikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunga Galunga View Post
Sorry to hear about the break. Any idea yet what caused it?

Talked to the guys at moto one, they said they've only experienced crank issues with this bike (usually when ran at wot for long periods of time). they will be tearing into it soon to fully diagnose the issue. But they are pretty sure that is the issue.
MingRidesBikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #17624
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingRidesBikes View Post
Talked to the guys at moto one, they said they've only experienced crank issues with this bike (usually when ran at wot for long periods of time). they will be tearing into it soon to fully diagnose the issue. But they are pretty sure that is the issue.

Did you do a lot of lugging during your 250 miles of single track? That is a lot of slow miles, and I think slow stuff starves the rod of oil.

I always make sure to rev the motor regularly when doing slow stuff to keep the rod lubed.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #17625
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
How was your oil level?