Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #17791
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Guys my xr-r needs a new chain badly. Can I get a sprocket/chain advice? I have SM wheels that I bought with the bike. Sorry if I sound stupid but, will normal XR-R sprockets fit? I know they need a different number of teeth from stock.

I think I had like 15T/48 on there.

Also I need a good case saver that wont leave the chain exposed. It always freaks me out. Will a new chain guide need to be bought as well?
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #17792
WunderfulLusterful
Banned

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post

Holy cow, last time I looked there, they did not list it. Thanks!!!!

On a side note, everyone has been talking about the clutch basket issues. Mine is worn and starting to make funny noises when starting off in first. I know the basket is worn, I have filed the ridges down at least twice already. If I swap to an auto clutch, will I still need to do the basket? I am not 100% sure on how these auto clutch plates work. Thanks
WunderfulLusterful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #17793
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderfulLusterful View Post
Holy cow, last time I looked there, they did not list it. Thanks!!!!

On a side note, everyone has been talking about the clutch basket issues. Mine is worn and starting to make funny noises when starting off in first. I know the basket is worn, I have filed the ridges down at least twice already. If I swap to an auto clutch, will I still need to do the basket? I am not 100% sure on how these auto clutch plates work. Thanks
You only replace 3 friction and 2 steel in order to install the auto clutch pack. You still use the remaining OEM frictions and steels.I would say if you are having problems with the basket you better change it. Once engaged the auto clutch works the same as the stock.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #17794
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by medisyn View Post
Guys my xr-r needs a new chain badly. Can I get a sprocket/chain advice? I have SM wheels that I bought with the bike. Sorry if I sound stupid but, will normal XR-R sprockets fit? I know they need a different number of teeth from stock.

Also I need a good case saver that wont leave the chain exposed. It always freaks me out. Will a new chain guide need to be bought as well?

if its stock hubs YES 15/48 is more dirt than street I run 15/45 for dual sport for sm I run 15/42. hope that helps. B
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #17795
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
Awesome. This is going to be my next tire. Looking for something a bit less knoblie and aggressive than my 908RR.

I'm running a 140 908 and have noticed a polished area on the linkage. Perhaps a bit of rub, but nothing to be concerned about.

Cheers,

Jason
if you are running the 908 is it hitting the air box? I ran 140,150 and 160 sm and my air box got some damage so I have only ran 120s the last few years.

with the ktm 990 I have lots of 908s that have life left in them. B
Old 08-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #17796
ded6080
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Re: case saver - covers sprocket

Case saver - http://www.xr650r.co.uk/ - not cheap though - I'm using a xr's only case saver, sprocket is exposed though - wearing good boots

Also I need a good case saver that wont leave the chain exposed. It always freaks me out. Will a new chain guide need to be bought as well?[/QUOTE]
ded6080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #17797
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNastybrp View Post
if you are running the 908 is it hitting the air box? I ran 140,150 and 160 sm and my air box got some damage so I have only ran 120s the last few years.

with the ktm 990 I have lots of 908s that have life left in them. B
I noticed a few black scuff marks on my FMF can but can't see any damage to the air box....so far so good!
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #17798
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ded6080 View Post
Case saver - http://www.xr650r.co.uk/ - not cheap though - I'm using a xr's only case saver, sprocket is exposed though - wearing good boots

[/QUOTE]

just put the stock one over the top of the xr's only. that's what it did the other looks like it is not using the third bolt the large one, the one on the top right.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #17799
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundflatout View Post
I noticed a few black scuff marks on my FMF can but can't see any damage to the air box....so far so good!
the 908 is crazy! I get so many more miles 3400 mile out of them. on the 990 but at three times the cost of the ac10 or the 606 (this is the rears I use on the 650r, 1500 miles at best). only thing is the stiff side wall and so no flex. it a monster best price I find is $194 all the way to $300
Old 08-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #17800
WunderfulLusterful
Banned

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri View Post
You only replace 3 friction and 2 steel in order to install the auto clutch pack. You still use the remaining OEM frictions and steels.I would say if you are having problems with the basket you better change it. Once engaged the auto clutch works the same as the stock.

I got ya, I did find some info on the install last night after i posted but thanks for the reply. I am thinking seriously about the auto clutch. I need to find a bike locally that has a Rekluse and take it for a spin before I buy a $400 paper weight! Thanks
WunderfulLusterful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #17801
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
just put the stock one over the top of the xr's only. that's what it did the other looks like it is not using the third bolt the large one, the one on the top right.
Sadly the stock one is not on there. Just a really cheap looking case saver.

Quote:
if its stock hubs YES 15/48 is more dirt than street I run 15/45 for dual sport for sm I run 15/42. hope that helps. B
Looks like I have 15/44t currently on there.

I have morad wheels, but I do not know anything about the hubs. They are unmarked and gold in color. I assume the stock sprockets will bolt up... Sadly I was such a noob I forgot to ask the seller all these things a year ago. I was just exited to get a CA plated xr650r supermoto.

If I went say 15/43t how many links will the chain need? I am going to go with a RK chain this time. I am happy so far with my RK chain on my other bike.

EDIT: They are talon hubs.
EDIT2: Sorta considering staying at 15/44t

medisyn screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 04:50 PM
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 AM   #17802
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Pete, let me get this correct:
- this fits into the clutch if you (I would think) take a few plates out and put this in?
- when done this will 'auto-operate' the clutch PLUS still leaves the normal manual operation present?
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #17803
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Unfortunately I needed the manual a bit too soon!

My first BRP, although I've owned upwards of 8 to 10 XR600s, plus XR500, 400, etc. So I know the aircooled engines well

Picked up my 2006 model with only 4k miles. Rode 100 miles home. 10 miles to go it was getting clicky sounds in top end, clicky, but nothing alarming.
Another 5 miles and suddenly the click-rattle was louder than exhaust note, so switched off and coasted to a garage where the bike is now stored.

Oil level was mid way on dipstick at 50 miles into the trip home.

After I stopped I checked the oil level again, and it was about 4cm from end of dip stick.

Asides from the rattle terrible noise it was actually running ok. There was no sign of tight exhaust valves or anything.

Any guesses? I figure either:
A. Ran low on oil and I've cooked the head, tappet's, cams etc. But as said, the oil was reading mid to low, but not at all near empty?
B. The last service didn't tighten the tappet lock nut, and it's come off
C. Something loose in decompression assembly?

This is an important bike for me, I usually do all my own top end engine work, but for this one I luckily know an ex Honda race team mechanic, he will look into it over next few weeks.... He is on holiday until Thursday, and the waiting to find what is wrong is not nice!! :(

After purposefully buying so many XR600s with cooked heads to repair and sell on, this is very ironic... :(

bigkuri screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 03:57 AM
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #17804
ded6080
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Good idea - I dug out the stock cover and put it on over the xr's only case saver last night

just put the stock one over the top of the xr's only. that's what it did the other looks like it is not using the third bolt the large one, the one on the top right.[/QUOTE]
ded6080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #17805
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 146
Any guesses? I figure either:
A. Ran low on oil and I've cooked the head, tappet's, cams etc. But as said, the oil was reading mid to low, but not at all near empty?
B. The last service didn't tighten the tappet lock nut, and it's come off
C. Something loose in decompression assembly?

Manual
http://sdrv.ms/161s4G3

The 650R has ball bearings supporting the cam, so the head is probably OK
the older models ran on the aluminum head
But the cam and folowers are a posability.
You are probably on the right track? If you consumed a large amount of oil in a short distance? The previous owner probably ran it low on oil before he figured it out.
A check of the valves would be in order and the first I would check.
Removing the rocker box may reveal your woes? and is easy to do.
Good luck and keep her going, they are becoming more rare by the day
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote