User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #17911
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,051
Warp9 Sumo Conversion ?'s

Maybe I should post this in the SUMO thread, but I think it's more relative to the XR's.

I picked up a set of W9's in the FM, pretty nice shape and straight. They came with the adapters for the rear (from what I understand, the Warp9's are actually CRF hubs and the adapters are to fit it to the XR). I bought the front adapters / spacers, 320 front rotor, relocate bracket, rear rotor and a 44T sprocket (to go with my 15 front) from Warp9.

First questions is regarding the rear wheel / rotor. I needed to lose a couple links out of the chain. With it all bolted up, wheel seems to spin just fine, until I start to tighten the rear axle nut, then I get a lot of drag. It looks like the new rotor is rubbing on the caliper subassembly. See the arrow on the blue tape.

The other thing (and I'm not sure the picture will show it very well, but the rotor bolts clear the caliper by a "CH" - is this normal? If one of the rotor bolts started to back out it would hit. I have them torqued and lock-tighted so it's OK for now, but I've never seen such a tight fit before.

Question #2 is, on the front wheel, I have about 10mm clearance between the edge of the rim and the fork on the R, and 15mm clearance on the L. The wheel is straight, my forks are symmetrical and I used the slightly longer spacer (non-rotor side spacer) on the right as I'm supposed to. I don't think I can shift the hub any further to the L because of the rotor. So, is this difference significant? I've never seen the hub offset like this before, hell even my KLR has the wheel going right down the middle.

Help... Any Warp9 guys around?
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #17912
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Make sure you have the spacers in the right place. They are slightly different
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #17913
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
Make sure you have the spacers in the right place. They are slightly different
Yeah, all 4 are different, and maybe by a mm or so. I went by what W9 sent me; they sent pics of the spacers with the measurements, and I marked them RS and SS, for the rear anyway. Front was RS and nonRS. I even checked the measurements before I installed them. I check again on the rear tomorrow. I know I have the longer one on the right in front, I double checked before I took the pics.

I've had the stock wheels on and off dozens of times. Even built a 19 for the front this spring. IDK if this has to do with them being CRF hubs? I can email them as well tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #17914
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
I bought mine new from Epic. They told me the XRR use crf hubs. Sprocket and brake patterns are crf. So I think your OK. It looks to me like one of your rear spacers is not the correct length.

P.S. my front rotor bolts barely clear as well.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold

bill pierce screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 07:53 PM
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #17915
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,045
I have warp 9 on my other XR, but I'm 800 miles away in CO. I know the front is offset a little and I needed to trim a bolt for clearance. I will be back in a week if you don't have measurements by then.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #17916
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl Rdr View Post
I have warp 9 on my other XR, but I'm 800 miles away in CO. I know the front is offset a little and I needed to trim a bolt for clearance. I will be back in a week if you don't have measurements by then.

thanks, I did have to trim the caliper mounting bolts (on the front) about 3 mm to keep them from touching the actual rotor. I think the front is fine, other than being offset a little, just not sure how to fix the rear.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #17917
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,045
Is the bearing spacer in the rear hub? There are some steps on the axle spacers. If you have the right ones it should not bind up.

Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #17918
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

I haven't taken the W9 wheel / hub apart. I suspect the bearing spacer (or collar) is still installed, I didn't actually look. The wheels look basically new. As for the axle spacers (adapters), they are in the right place, i.e., the rotor side spacer is on the right and the sprocket side..... I measured and marked them from the Warp9 drawings. I'll take it all back apart tonite and remeasure. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #17919
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
The other thing (and I'm not sure the picture will show it very well, but the rotor bolts clear the caliper by a "CH" - is this normal? If one of the rotor bolts started to back out it would hit. I have them torqued and lock-tighted so it's OK for now, but I've never seen such a tight fit before.

Those should be button head allens, won't stick out past the rotor. The sprocket side should also have allen bolts, but with a taper to them. Somebody cheaped out big time on the hardware for those wheels.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #17920
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Those should be button head allens, won't stick out past the rotor. The sprocket side should also have allen bolts, but with a taper to them. Somebody cheaped out big time on the hardware for those wheels.
Sprocket side are button head allens, I'll change out the rotor bolts. That's just what W9 sent me, I didn't pay for them. I think they're M6 x 18 or 20.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #17921
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,385
Toying with a new fairing setup... what you guys think?

Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #17922
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Mikuni Pumper Carb

I had a lot of people responded to my original post. However most people I believe missed the title "Problems with my Mikuni Pumper Carb" Please keep in mind when respondin to my inquirey, it is a Mikuni Pumper Carb. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigrn View Post
I purchased a 2nd xr650r last fall and have been riding it most of the year without problems (approx. 2000 km so far). The carb has worked well, good throttle response, easy start, idles at approximate 1800-2000.

This weekend after some nasty rock climbing trails my bike started idling high (3000-4000rpm), no matter how much I adjusted the idle screw it wouldn't turn down. I ended up ridding it like this back to camp. After a short trip down the highway it started idling back at it's original 1800-2000rpm. I assumed it was something in the jet that blew threw.

Today I took it out for another ride of approximately 20km and the bike ran great the first half but again idled high on the way back.

I figure the carb needs a good cleaning, it is likely running a bit lean. Any other thoughts from the group?
Does anyone know of a good youtube video for cleaning this carb?

1bigrn screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 02:23 PM
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #17923
Dread Pendragon
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post

Looks great!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #17924
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305

Help... Any Warp9 guys around?[/QUOTE]
I stuck a washer about 3mm thick on the side that was closer and it worked perfectly.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #17925
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0 View Post

I like it, how does the light look thru that weird (but kinda cool) colour lens?