Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #18331
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
If you get the IMS tank, you need to leave your petcock on "reserve" all the time or it will starve for fuel when the tank is about half empty.
When I installed my IMS 7 gal. tanker I found this out the hard way. Died coming off the ferry, lots of not so patient cages behind me. Laid the bike over on its side til fuel poured out the carb, fired up and hauled outa there. Three blocks later died again. Figured it out at that point.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #18332
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Oddometer: 454
Will be a new owner of a '00 XR650R tomorrow! Woot! It has a bad motor but we'll get that taken care of through the winter.
El Caballo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #18333
TJE
Space Emperor

Oddometer: 72
Rear wheel wiggle

Hey lads!

The XRR has been steering a bit oddly recently, and I found that I'm able to wiggle the rear tire a few millimeter. This can only be the bearings going tits up, right?

When I change the bearings, is there anything else I ought to change / inspect? Spacers, seals, axle collars, etc ...

I don't ride dirt.

Thanks a mill!!

My gallery: http://www.subsignal.com

TJE screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 02:23 AM
TJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #18334
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
Hey lads!

The XRR has been steering a bit oddly recently, and I found that I'm able to wiggle the rear tire a few millimeter. This can only be the bearings going tits up, right?

When I change the bearings, is there anything else I ought to change / inspect? Spacers, seals, axle collars, etc ...

I don't ride dirt.

Thanks a mill!!
It could also be the swingarm pivot bearings, which will have a greater affect on the handling with just a little wear compared to wheel bearings. Elevate the rear of the bike and try wiggling the swingarm side-to-side. You may also find that you have some play in the linkage and shock parts, allowing for a little vertical 'thunk' when the suspension is topped out (fully extended).

But if you are changing the wheel bearings, new seals are a good idea. Check the spacers for grooves worn into them by the now-worn-out-seals.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #18335
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Greetings Fellow Thumper Enthusiasts!

I’m visiting from the DR650 forum, trying to help out a good friend who recently bought an XRR and now needs to buy his first set of new tires. He has an aversion to computers, so here I am, asking the question.

His XR650R has the original rims; he’d like to buy the tires from ronayers.com or Motorcycle Superstore if possible so the tires need to be “run of the mill”; and he’s looking for a “50/50” tire front and rear. My Shinko 705s are a little too street-oriented for him, and anyway, there’s no suitable width Shinko for his 18” rear rim. Reasonable tire life would be nice, and he’s a fast rider on pavement so reasonable road-handling is necessary.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything more street oriented than a Dunlop 606 on it They wear well, work well in most conditions, and aren't too expensive.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #18336
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,743
I've owned a few XR's over the years but really never spent much time on them or kept them long enough to enjoy, I'm almost finished with building this one and I'm enjoying it I think she's a keeper...

Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #18337
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renazco View Post
I've owned a few XR's over the years but really never spent much time on them or kept them long enough to enjoy, I'm almost finished with building this one and I'm enjoying it I think she's a keeper...

Darn thing looks brand new! Go scratch it up a bit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #18338
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcheetah View Post
This year we raced V2R on a KX450F (FI)which I loved. But I to love seeing the 650s out there. I would not race it at the Laughlin USHS but I did take it out to the Nevada 200 a few years ago, maybe we'll try the SS300 next year. This one is geared at 47/15, which seems about right? I am going to look into the carb/cam. What am I looking for on the small connection? Thanks for the info.

JUst look for gauling/scoring on the rod end. It is best to replace it with something with rollers if it has bad signs.

What team are you with? I am a regular at the SS300, but not racing, I am the one who keeps Casey F. out of trouble.

You had yours at the NV200? I had mine there also, 2009 I believe or maybe 2010. After that I rode a wr450 the following years. The xrr was a little much for the A ride, along with the 30 lbs of tools (don't ask, it was my first time).
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #18339
ZXRaziel
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Lex Talionis
Continental TKC 80 are great tyres for mixed riding .
Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #18340
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
Lex Talionis
Continental TKC 80 are great tyres for mixed riding .
Except in mud or grass :(
Old 10-18-2013, 01:17 AM   #18341
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
I live in Vietnam. 37+ degrees Celsius in the summer, around 12-15 degrees in the winter. I only run the Pig on tarmac, mostly at 50km/h and not much past 70-80km/h. I do spank it a bit at times, admittedly!

Which type of oil should I be using in summer and winter? Or should I just run one type all year round?

20w-50 summer
10w-50 winter

Full synthetic, no friction modifiers.

20W50 is an old spec multigrade, you give away your age here
10W50 is a rather wide multigrade hence is doped, and this you don't want as it'll shear to water easily.
The '50' is not that different than 40 when warm so don't stare yourself dead on this, however the 10 is better for starting than a 20 is.
10W40 is a good oil to use, and a full synth is always good, especially when startin git. But, changing it often is even better, so don't keep it too long in there.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #18342
TJE
Space Emperor

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
It could also be the swingarm pivot bearings, which will have a greater affect on the handling with just a little wear compared to wheel bearings. Elevate the rear of the bike and try wiggling the swingarm side-to-side. You may also find that you have some play in the linkage and shock parts, allowing for a little vertical 'thunk' when the suspension is topped out (fully extended).

But if you are changing the wheel bearings, new seals are a good idea. Check the spacers for grooves worn into them by the now-worn-out-seals.
Many thanks, Ron! I'm pretty sure it's only the tire, but will check the rest tomorrow and make sure. As I said, it's only a few mm, so can it be ridden, or is a failure imminent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
20W50 is an old spec multigrade, you give away your age here
10W50 is a rather wide multigrade hence is doped, and this you don't want as it'll shear to water easily.
The '50' is not that different than 40 when warm so don't stare yourself dead on this, however the 10 is better for starting than a 20 is.
10W40 is a good oil to use, and a full synth is always good, especially when startin git. But, changing it often is even better, so don't keep it too long in there.
Burpsa, you're a genious! Thanks, mate! Yeah, I change every 1000km, and top up before every ride. If she use about 1dl of oil after 200km, what could the issue be? She's at about 12k km now ...

Thanks again lads, very helpful!

My gallery: http://www.subsignal.com
TJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #18343
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
There are only a few true full synthetics, and as far as I know, none start with a cold weight other than 0.

Mobil 1 0w-40
Castrol Edge 0w-30 - Made in Germany.

I forget the Amzoil one.

99% of the other brands and weights are blends.

Marketing sucks.

For other comments, I agree. I like nice bikes, but I hate bikes that don't get rode. No point in having a bike without the wheels turning and enjoying it. Garage queens are useless.

Go ride it!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #18344
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Is there any benefits to an IMS shifter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-21-2013, 09:05 AM   #18345
SwellsRides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Tires

Hey Lex, welcome to the dark side!!

I have a 2000 XRR with Avon Distanzia's on 17" Behr wheels on her, and she seem to do very will with those, both on and off road, though I regret to say I have done very little off road riding as of yet. (anyone in the Baltimore area want to show me the back roads?)

I am also about to replace, and was also considering the Shinko 705's. How do you like them?

Hope the XR folks can help your friend out.
Cheers,
Steve
Royal Enfield Bullet (Sold in Sri Lanka)
"When in Doubt, Punch it out!"
SwellsRides is offline   Reply With Quote