Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2013, 08:34 PM   #18331
BronkoRob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Ok guys, I'm picking up one of these baja legends in a few days. I am looking to do some longer dual sport and adventure rides with it. Coming of a ktm 450xc, and I tried to do the same with the 450 but I missed the torque,weight, and durability of the 650cc bikes. For long days with road involved I was asking a lot from the 450.

Got a few quick questions. With the big tanks, acerbis 6.6 and acerbis 7, does one feel better than the other? Any reason to shy away from one or the other?

The bike is coming with several exhaust. White brothers super trap style, fmf q4, and power core. Is one significantly better than the other? Also has stock header and a power bomb header.

What are typical oil change intervals?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #18332
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Got a few quick questions. With the big tanks, acerbis 6.6 and acerbis 7, does one feel better than the other? Any reason to shy away from one or the other?

You can use a spal fan with the acerbis but not with the ims 7 gallon without modification to the tank. At least thats how I remember it. If not someone will chime in.

Sent from the depths of my pockets
LVCJT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #18333
MCVL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
I'll be interested in a specific answer too...
But for what it's worth, you shouldn't get a sleave, the bore is coated, and there are just tons of places everywhere that recoat, build up, and re hone to stock size.
Just had my cylinder done, only 130 which in US market is most likely $100. Great job, no sweat.
I opened mine up. The cylinder has honing, no scratches or any sign of wear O_o only if I use micrometer
ok, next the valves, filled the holes with gasoline, they don't leak! 1 intake started to show some signes of leaking after a minute, that's not going to affect anything. So she just chewed up the sand up and spited it to the exhaust
That's a bike!
The problem was with valve guides, they were done incorrectly by our masters of metal and got destructed quickly, the valves were dangling there almost like a teaspoon in a cup, actually about 0.5mm, but it's too much anyway. After they redo it I'm going to do a valve lapping to the intakes and hope that they'll do it right this time
P.S. In our country recoating of a nikasil cylinder is considered alien technology from a diffrent dimension
MCVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #18334
Dread Pendragon
Xin Ku

Oddometer: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronkoRob View Post
The Acerbis tank is simpler than the IMS 7 gal tank. It has a petcock valve for each side. The IMS has hoses and a pump (that you hook up to the carb) that pulls the gas up to the petcock, so there are more places for things to go wrong.

However, I haven't had any problems with that setup on my IMS 7 gal tank, and it's much more narrow than the Acerbis tank. Enough, IMO, that it makes a difference riding in rough stuff. My brother has the big Acerbis tank on his XRR and likes it, but I think if he had to choose over again he'd get the IMS one. If I had to do it again I'd get the IMS tank again, though I doubt I'd be unhappy with the Acerbis tank.

If you get the Acerbis one you definitely want to get the brace that someone here makes (Hoodkaguy, I think). If you get the IMS tank, you need to leave your petcock on "reserve" all the time or it will starve for fuel when the tank is about half empty.
Death Valley Ride
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #18335
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCJT View Post

You can use a spal fan with the acerbis but not with the ims 7 gallon without modification to the tank. At least thats how I remember it. If not someone will chime in.

Sent from the depths of my pockets
I use the IMS tank.You can use fans if you mount them on the front like this.

2 years with no problem. I like the tank. Narrow and holds the fuel down low.I also built a brace(don't know if i need it or not) Have dropped it numerous times and no problem. As another poster said keep tank on reserve.
hontri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #18336
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
I will be 35

There are a few good things about being young.
I said that one day, not long ago! Then I woke up one day and I was 41! Time goes fast!
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #18337
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Tire Recommendation for a friend

Greetings Fellow Thumper Enthusiasts!

Im visiting from the DR650 forum, trying to help out a good friend who recently bought an XRR and now needs to buy his first set of new tires. He has an aversion to computers, so here I am, asking the question.

His XR650R has the original rims; hed like to buy the tires from ronayers.com or Motorcycle Superstore if possible so the tires need to be run of the mill; and hes looking for a 50/50 tire front and rear. My Shinko 705s are a little too street-oriented for him, and anyway, theres no suitable width Shinko for his 18 rear rim. Reasonable tire life would be nice, and hes a fast rider on pavement so reasonable road-handling is necessary.

And I know, just like on the DR thread, tires (and oil Im not going there!) have been previously discussed at great length, so Im pleading for some consideration, being a visitor to your fine thread.

Ill be checking back nightly for the next several evenings.

Thanks in advance!

Lex
Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #18338
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
For 50/50 try a mefo super explorer rear and mt21 front.
Or maybe that is more 80/20 dirt bias...
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #18339
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
If you get the IMS tank, you need to leave your petcock on "reserve" all the time or it will starve for fuel when the tank is about half empty.
When I installed my IMS 7 gal. tanker I found this out the hard way. Died coming off the ferry, lots of not so patient cages behind me. Laid the bike over on its side til fuel poured out the carb, fired up and hauled outa there. Three blocks later died again. Figured it out at that point.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #18340
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Oddometer: 367
Will be a new owner of a '00 XR650R tomorrow! Woot! It has a bad motor but we'll get that taken care of through the winter.
El Caballo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #18341
TJE
Space Emperor

Oddometer: 54
Rear wheel wiggle

Hey lads!

The XRR has been steering a bit oddly recently, and I found that I'm able to wiggle the rear tire a few millimeter. This can only be the bearings going tits up, right?

When I change the bearings, is there anything else I ought to change / inspect? Spacers, seals, axle collars, etc ...

I don't ride dirt.

Thanks a mill!!

My gallery: http://www.subsignal.com/DEMO

TJE screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 02:23 AM
TJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #18342
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE View Post
Hey lads!

The XRR has been steering a bit oddly recently, and I found that I'm able to wiggle the rear tire a few millimeter. This can only be the bearings going tits up, right?

When I change the bearings, is there anything else I ought to change / inspect? Spacers, seals, axle collars, etc ...

I don't ride dirt.

Thanks a mill!!
It could also be the swingarm pivot bearings, which will have a greater affect on the handling with just a little wear compared to wheel bearings. Elevate the rear of the bike and try wiggling the swingarm side-to-side. You may also find that you have some play in the linkage and shock parts, allowing for a little vertical 'thunk' when the suspension is topped out (fully extended).

But if you are changing the wheel bearings, new seals are a good idea. Check the spacers for grooves worn into them by the now-worn-out-seals.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM   #18343
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis View Post
Greetings Fellow Thumper Enthusiasts!

Im visiting from the DR650 forum, trying to help out a good friend who recently bought an XRR and now needs to buy his first set of new tires. He has an aversion to computers, so here I am, asking the question.

His XR650R has the original rims; hed like to buy the tires from ronayers.com or Motorcycle Superstore if possible so the tires need to be run of the mill; and hes looking for a 50/50 tire front and rear. My Shinko 705s are a little too street-oriented for him, and anyway, theres no suitable width Shinko for his 18 rear rim. Reasonable tire life would be nice, and hes a fast rider on pavement so reasonable road-handling is necessary.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything more street oriented than a Dunlop 606 on it They wear well, work well in most conditions, and aren't too expensive.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #18344
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
I've owned a few XR's over the years but really never spent much time on them or kept them long enough to enjoy, I'm almost finished with building this one and I'm enjoying it I think she's a keeper...

Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #18345
mitchn06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renazco View Post
I've owned a few XR's over the years but really never spent much time on them or kept them long enough to enjoy, I'm almost finished with building this one and I'm enjoying it I think she's a keeper...

Darn thing looks brand new! Go scratch it up a bit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free