User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #18436
ADVSearcher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Time for a daily life pic of my pig ...

Free riding through the woods trying to find a singeltrack or gravel road ... Got stuck in a ditch totaly exhausted with a soon boiling piggy & my buddys just want to fiddle around with the cameras instead of helping me out

ADVSearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #18437
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 784
Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVSearcher View Post
Time for a daily life pic of my pig ...

Free riding through the woods trying to find a singeltrack or gravel road ... Got stuck in a ditch totaly exhausted with a soon boiling piggy & my buddys just want to fiddle around with the cameras instead of helping me out

Nice picture, far superior to my very lame picture of a hole in a sprocket.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #18438
jm-2008
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Sprocket Bolts

[QUOTE=DocAxeYarYar;22692218]I have a SunTour 45 tooth rear sprocket planning to use.....but
it does no take the tapered bolts used on alloy sprockets.

I am sure the non-tapered bolts are common, but I could not find them online and dont know what OEM part to ask for.

XR650L or DR650 sprocket bolts and nuts?

Thanks!

[/QUOTE

Check OEM Honda bolts for a 1988 XR600R
JM-2008
jm-2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 AM   #18439
flonoen
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Hi fellas, new user here.

Got my first thumper a month or so back, '04 XR650R. Good condition, easy to start and hilariously fun to ride (my only experience with bikes so far have been R4's, and short testrides on a 690 duke). Not been much offroad yet, mostly because my rear tire looks more like a racingslick than an offroad-tire.

Changed the sprockets and chain couple of days ago, from rather long geared 15-40 when I got it, to a bit more fun 14-46.

Anyways, was thinking of getting this rear tire:
Michelin T 63
Available in 120/80-18, I now have 120/90-18, I assume this will cause no problems? Use will mostly be street, with occational trips offroad, gravel etc. Think I'll pick up 17" sm-wheels next year, for street-use.

Have to find some trials to ride like in the picture posted above by ADVSearcher, but gotta get some gear first, I only have onroad-gear. Nature in Norway is a lot like in Sweden, except a bit better of course
flonoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #18440
Dread Pendragon
throttle to the donk

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by flonoen View Post
Anyways, was thinking of getting this rear tire:
Michelin T 63
Available in 120/80-18, I now have 120/90-18, I assume this will cause no problems? Use will mostly be street, with occational trips offroad, gravel etc. Think I'll pick up 17" sm-wheels next year, for street-use.
I like the look of the tread on those tires. If you can get them, Dunlop 606 tires are great for that bike.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #18441
Angelsndevils
Pig handler

Oddometer: 21
Guess I'll join in on the fun. Have a 2000 piggy, Plated, that I love so much that it made me sell my RC51 cause I didn't ride it anymore. Should be getting more goodies for it this week. Ordered a dual output stator, exhaust, and trail tech vapor for it. Also If anybodys interested, I have an edelbrock carb for sale in the parts thread.

There is a little squid in all of us!
Angelsndevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #18442
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I know pigs are noisy to begin with and i have an aluminum skid plate but does anyone hear anything to be concerned about? I rebuilt the top end with stock compression about 600 miles ago and it's been running fine. But im hearing this knocking sound from the bottom end that seems to have gotten worse over time. The audio quality of my phone makes it sound even worse but Hopefully someone can tell me if its normal or not. Or is my piggy
In good health and stfu ride it till it breaks

ride4fun562 screwed with this post 11-04-2013 at 11:09 AM
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #18443
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4fun562 View Post
I know pigs are noisy to begin with and i have an aluminum skid plate but does anyone hear anything to be concerned about? I rebuilt the top end with stock compression about 600 miles ago and it's been running fine. But im hearing this knocking sound from the bottom end that seems to have gotten worse over time. The audio quality of my phone makes it sound even worse but Hopefully someone can tell me if its normal or not. Or is my piggy
In good health and stfu ride it till it breaks

Tough to say. The sound didn't help on my work computer.

I know my bike with ~50,000KM is sometimes quieter than my buddies with ~20,000km's.

That being said it always seems to be super quiet after a valve adjustment and fresh oil... It might all be in my head.. =)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #18444
AlpinaE24
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaE24 View Post
Yo guys,

My neighbor bought a low hour '01 off of CL 3 nights ago, rode it around the block and 1 mile in the clutch bushing seized. I found him at the stop sign and offered to help him out. I popped the side cover and clutch out, but the outer basket and bushing will not come off the shaft.

At this point I decided to just take it down to north valley honda to have them use a puller/press to get it off. But alas, they have been trying to 2 days with zero luck. I really feel bad for this guy, he just dropped $2300 for a bike that might need to be completely torn down.

Advice? Ideas? Who has gotten a seized bushing off sucessfully without f-ing the shaft?

Talked to my neighbor today, honda got the bushing off and the bike should be back in action by the weekend
1994 XR650L - Sold
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #18445
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
I also didn't here anything unusual, but a recording makes it almost impossible except for the most obvious of problems.

The one thing I notice, is your idle is pretty low. I try to avoid letting my bike idle slowly (or lug it) as I believe it starves the rod of oil.

And that may be a clue...
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #18446
Bench Racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Fried Rectifier?

Yesterday I wired in a 12v power outlet and used the wires that feed my radiator fan to power it. They come off the little battery I have. When I started the bike the outlet was working but then it stopped. Then I realized the headlight wasn't on. Then after trying all the lights realized that no turn signals worked either. I didn't have a meter with me so testing for voltage was out. I have it today and have not been able to test yet. But does this sound like the rectifier is toast? The bike starts and the other power circuits work - hand warmers and now the 12v outlet since I moved to that circuit after it stopped working.
I bypassed the little battery and used a good one to test the lighting circuit. When I turn the lights on the VAPOR computer lights up.
Any help would be great. Thanks.
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #18447
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I also didn't here anything unusual, but a recording makes it almost impossible except for the most obvious of problems.

The one thing I notice, is your idle is pretty low. I try to avoid letting my bike idle slowly (or lug it) as I believe it starves the rod of oil.

And that may be a clue...
Thanks for the advice , i do tend to lug it alot so maybe I trashed my rod. I should mention that the valves are spot on ive checked them Three times since the rebuild and it only needed adjustment the first time for the other guy who talked about valve adjustment
ride4fun562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #18448
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Racer View Post
Yesterday I wired in a 12v power outlet and used the wires that feed my radiator fan to power it. They come off the little battery I have. When I started the bike the outlet was working but then it stopped. Then I realized the headlight wasn't on. Then after trying all the lights realized that no turn signals worked either. I didn't have a meter with me so testing for voltage was out. I have it today and have not been able to test yet. But does this sound like the rectifier is toast? The bike starts and the other power circuits work - hand warmers and now the 12v outlet since I moved to that circuit after it stopped working.
I bypassed the little battery and used a good one to test the lighting circuit. When I turn the lights on the VAPOR computer lights up.
Any help would be great. Thanks.

Just know there is a dedicated electrical thread for this bike.

Did your 12v outlet mounting involving grounding it to the frame?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #18449
Bench Racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
It's in contact with the metal bracket from BD I'm not sure if it's in contact with frame within the wiring.
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #18450
Angelsndevils
Pig handler

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Just know there is a dedicated electrical thread for this bike.
please link?

There is a little squid in all of us!
Angelsndevils is offline   Reply With Quote