Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #19036
dohcfox
meh

Oddometer: 139
Question for those of you that have had the head off of their XRRs. What kind of sealant do you put in between the head and the piece that holds the rocker shafts and cam shaft? Is it possible to re-use the large rubber plug that sits on the outside of the head?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #19037
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I have used permatex motoseal 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #19038
dohcfox
meh

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchn06 View Post
I have used permatex motoseal 1.

Thank you!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #19039
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Making progress figuring out my coolant leak issues.

I got my $35 motorcycle coolant pressure testing kit. What a great tool for just a few bucks. I was able to do a static pressure test up to 25psi (much higher than operating pressure) and find a few suspect hoses that were weeping. I also was able to do a dynamic test (engine running) and confirm that cylinder pressure was not finding it's way into the coolant (ie blown head gasket). Plus it comes with an adapter to make sure the radiator cap is opening at the correct pressure. Definitely worth the $35!

Unfortunately, I still had some coolant leaks after letting the bike idle for 5 minutes, though it wasn't as bad. It appears I need a new waterpump seal, as coolant seems to be coming out of the weep hole.

Can anyone recommend a waterpump rebuild kit?

-
Glad to see you making headway, What did you end up doing with the hoses/clamps?

That clamp above looks good, NOT overtightened.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #19040
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcfox View Post
Question for those of you that have had the head off of their XRRs. What kind of sealant do you put in between the head and the piece that holds the rocker shafts and cam shaft? Is it possible to re-use the large rubber plug that sits on the outside of the head?

Thanks in advance!
Three Bond case sealents are what have been recommended to me. Permatex is probably similar.

I reused my rubber plug, but I also gave it a layer of case sealent. No issues.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #19041
OR Trail
looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer: 340
I used Honda high temp gasket sealer - Hondabond HT. I re-used the rubber plug and also put a light coat of sealant on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohcfox View Post

Thanks in advance!
OR Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #19042
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Yamabond, hondabond, three bond, all very very similar products. I bought Yamabond to seal my case halves this go around though. I'll use in my head cover as well.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #19043
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,053
Merry XR650R's and a Happy New Riding Year!!

Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #19044
chopper77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
my piggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolios View Post
Holy Mazinga,

She's a beauty!
Any details on the build?
Hello fellas , thanks for the interest .
i will try to remember all my mods.
HRC piston , HRC cam , TM40 pumper , lightened flywheel with pickup moved , vortex ignition , head ported , staintune exhaust . 06 CRF front end , RG3 smart valves . revalved back shock .
All put together and tuned by Nik at Tekniks .
didnt happen all at once , had the staintune TM40 on and got 45hp and 55 tor , so it will be interesting to do a run with all the mods , i have read the safari XRs Nik built were getting 63hp at the wheels so it will be interesting. Super impressed with how smooth the thing is at high revs and how usable the power is. The rev limiter is set at 9500 and it will hit it , doesn't feel like its about to explode . Gear changes are at 7500 , top of the meat .
Future mods.
Monier tank , which you see ( Creedy caught me trialing it ) Carbon fibre radiator guards based on the CRF ones so she all lines up nicely .
Short kicked up MX rear guard i found in France .
Moriwaki exhaust ( highest flowing ). I searched the world for NOS , nothing , My mate Creedy found one that was crushed. all straight and polished now with a carbon fibre can . more top end i hope. The build quality on these things is exellent .
A 5L composite tank on the airbox side is also on the list to supplement the 24L and to add to the measly 8L of the monier tank.
My list of things to do could go on for a bit as this bike transforms into my outback tour er , a whole other direction . 24l acerbis , screen ect . It has already been to birdsville and back and a Flinders trip planned for next year
You got to love how versatile these machines are.
chopper77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #19045
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
What an awesome video, good job, cool ass tracker too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrizio View Post
https://vimeo.com/82595547

Here is a video of a bike being ridden around Detroit's historic Packard Plant by a non professional rider on a non-closed course...

Special thanks to CW at Cycle Wizard in Frankenmuth, MI. This bike is running like a top thanks to him. Highly recommended expertise, parts, and personality.
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:43 PM   #19046
medisyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
For the people using a Trailtech Vapor to monitor coolant temps, how are you doing it? Are you using the inline temp sensor they sell?
http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gau...er-temp-sensor

If so what size? 22mm?

EDIT: Never mind trailtechs website shows you everything you need!

medisyn screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 12:53 PM
medisyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #19047
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,053
When I redid the hoses I taped a 1/8 pipe thread into the thermostat housing and moved the sensor there. Check the threads of the sensor, they have changed them over time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #19048
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Racer View Post
Our desert is pretty open and fast. When I ride in the trees its slows to narrow but mostly flowing/fun 1track. I feel the carb isn't super rich. I was wondering if it leaks when I'm moving. Brakes, bearings, chain and sprockets are fine. Well lubed. Except brakes of coarse.
I do ride hard with lots of open/close throttle use when on the trails. Roads and such get a more constant throttle.
I run 15/48. 1track the gearing allows 2nd to 3rd but is too tall. Open stuff we're usually at 60+ I would guess as an average. Long stretches get up to 80 pretty easy.
That sounds about like the desert riding I do on mine and I think mine is 15/48 or 15/47 so that's about the same as well. Riding hard will make it go down, but should still be close to 30 I'd think.

My guess is that the float level is too high or the seat is leaking when underway and bouncing around (on my CR250R I found, in the middle of a ride, that the o-ring around the seat was leaking badly. Luckily a chain x-ring from a spare master link fits perfectly!). It's also plausible that the stock carb is that much less efficient than the eddie as OldXR suggests. If you can find an Eddie carb grab one, they work astoundingly well--at least in terms of response and ease of starting. I suspect other options are more tuneable and can squeeze more power from the machine (FCR).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #19049
Bench Racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
That sounds about like the desert riding I do on mine and I think mine is 15/48 or 15/47 so that's about the same as well. Riding hard will make it go down, but should still be close to 30 I'd think.

My guess is that the float level is too high or the seat is leaking when underway and bouncing around (on my CR250R I found, in the middle of a ride, that the o-ring around the seat was leaking badly. Luckily a chain x-ring from a spare master link fits perfectly!). It's also plausible that the stock carb is that much less efficient than the eddie as OldXR suggests. If you can find an Eddie carb grab one, they work astoundingly well--at least in terms of response and ease of starting. I suspect other options are more tuneable and can squeeze more power from the machine (FCR).
I would like the fcr but I'm not willing to heat my tank and chance a failure or putting a hole in it. I have just about saved enough for the TM40 kit but I might get a smoking deal on one through a family friend. We'll see after the new year.
I agree that something like the float or seat is screwy. What would I need to do to fix the seat issue?
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #19050
lemanster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Hey guys, I've been running a TM40 for a couple years now, and its run fantastic, up until a few months ago, I had the bike drop on a nice sandy uphill, the drop was insignificant, but I noticed afterward fuel occasionally coming out of the overflow when the bike was not running, more-so when the bike was moved around while the bike wasn't running. bike ran great other than this.

Well, a month ago the bike began wanting to stall after quick, hard whoop sections, or after launching the bike in the air. It would want to stall for a second or two, then would be fine after that if I kept throttling it, and if it did stall, it usually fired right back up. Then, recently it would begin stalling when not up to operating temp. I would hear a cough or a sneeze as the bike stalled. Once up to operating temp, the bike was fine, ran great, no stalling, but fuel dripping from the overflow still.

Sounded to me like a float issue, so I pulled the carb, cleaned it, shot carb cleaner thru everything several times, I adjusted the float, it was slightly off (Sudco manual recommended around 18mm from base of carb when it comes in contact with actuator, mine was at 21mm) so I set it at 18. Bike seemed to run better, didnt want to stall when cold either, (but the weather was warmer) I noticed the bike still pissed a little fuel when it was sitting, and when i would rock the bike side to side on the kickstand, it would piss a little more.

A couple days later, I go out to fire up the bike, it fires up without issue, runs for a minute or two, then i get the sneeze then die again. It did this a couple more times until it was up to operating temp. then it ran fine after that.

Any other ideas fellas? Thanks