Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #1981
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Thanks for the words of advice... Sounds like a Stator, grips, and a 12v outlet are in the future.

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #1982
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
Thanks for the words of advice... Sounds like a Stator, grips, and a 12v outlet are in the future.

Don't know if it helps or not but I saw someone estimate the stock output at ~75W. Not knowing what the grips require but maybe you can do some more accurate math to calculate demand?
Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #1983
zaptoad
just a guy

Oddometer: 296
heated grips

I spoke with Ricky Stator about this very subject. They recommended a 200 amp single feed unit with a HD regulator. I'm going to head down that road after I save my pennies!

FWIW, I run a 55 watt halogen with a glass headlight in the stock shell

zaptoad screwed with this post 11-17-2009 at 01:22 PM
zaptoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #1984
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,728
setting up the bike

I know the big XR isnt a MX bike but is there anything I could do to make it that much better as a woods bike? I have it setup as a nice enduro bike but I was wondering if there is anything I should do to make it better in the woods.

I know protection, things like bark busters, skid plates, disk guards and the like are usually first to get added but im trying to think of other things that will give me a little bit of an edge.

I have started playing with the suspension a little and that makes a difference but I still dont know what I like or dont like. Im sure someone will suggest to revalve the suspension to my liking/riding style but how do I know what I like if I havent really tried anything that feels different.

Also ive been trying to set up the ergonomics to fit me just right, im getting closer but I need to play with the bars and there position. I need height as well and saw the rox risers. They look like the part, has anyone used them on the pig? and will I need longer cables?

Thanks guys, Header.
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #1985
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by header
I know the big XR isnt a MX bike but is there anything I could do to make it that much better as a woods bike? I have it setup as a nice enduro bike but I was wondering if there is anything I should do to make it better in the woods.

I know protection, things like bark busters, skid plates, disk guards and the like are usually first to get added but im trying to think of other things that will give me a little bit of an edge.

I have started playing with the suspension a little and that makes a difference but I still dont know what I like or dont like. Im sure someone will suggest to revalve the suspension to my liking/riding style but how do I know what I like if I havent really tried anything that feels different.

Also ive been trying to set up the ergonomics to fit me just right, im getting closer but I need to play with the bars and there position. I need height as well and saw the rox risers. They look like the part, has anyone used them on the pig? and will I need longer cables?

Thanks guys, Header.
Narrow bars, drop your forks a little (2mm) in the clamps for help in turning. The best edge is gonna be to ride, and ride some more.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #1986
header
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlabs
Narrow bars, drop your forks a little (2mm) in the clamps for help in turning. The best edge is gonna be to ride, and ride some more.
I was thinking about that, will that even make a noticable difference in my highspeed riding if my highspeed is only about 65?
Old 11-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #1987
MSH
The Salt

Quote:
The best edge is gonna be to ride, and ride some more.
+1

Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #1988
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,675
stator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH
I just did a ricky stator 250 W w/ 100 W headlight... I've got the heated grips on my KLR250 (Commuter bike) and have the parts to do the grips on the XR.

Pick an evening during the week next week and i can show the the valve adj in the heated garage.

Lean that piggie!

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 PM   #1989
Ridin Dirty
What day is it?

Oddometer: 180
Woods Pig

For the woods...besides suspension, I would lower the gearing for the woods. I'd also get very aggressive knobbies and upgrade the cooling system. Either fluidines or ktm fan. The woods I ride have alot of rocks and roots. I want a steering damper to help with the deflections. That would probably help my stamina quite a bit too.

I still take it back there with the Dunlop 606's and the stock gearing but my loops are shorter than I could otherwise do on a lighter bike.
Ridin Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #1990
MSH
The Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISkev
Pick an evening during the week next week and i can show the the valve adj in the heated garage.
Cant wait!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #1991
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by header
I was thinking about that, will that even make a noticable difference in my highspeed riding if my highspeed is only about 65?
If you are talkiong about the forks, with that speed in the woods you aren't gonna notice it. Honestly, ask around and find out who the local "good" riders are. Ride with them, watch them and ask questions. Get a helmet cam to video your self and review that to see what you are focking up.

Nothing can replace riding time.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #1992
header
Chris

Quote:
If you are talkiong about the forks, with that speed in the woods you aren't gonna notice it. Honestly, ask around and find out who the local "good" riders are. Ride with them, watch them and ask questions. Get a helmet cam to video your self and review that to see what you are focking up.

Nothing can replace riding time.
I was refering to onroad stuff. Just getting to the place kind of thing.

I like the idea of helmit cam, never thought of that.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 AM   #1993
hunkaboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Today I took my pig out to get it clean. I think it looks clean now Going for a ride when the weather is better

The bikes I have had
Honda XR600R -95
Yamaha Raptor 350 -06
hunkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #1994
MSH
The Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunkaboy

Are your blinkers LED from the factory or have they been changed? I noticed you have the euro factory rear fender frame... But I guess you are in Sweden!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:32 AM   #1995
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
For the woods...besides suspension, I would lower the gearing for the woods. I'd also get very aggressive knobbies and upgrade the cooling system. Either fluidines or ktm fan. The woods I ride have alot of rocks and roots. I want a steering damper to help with the deflections. That would probably help my stamina quite a bit too.

I still take it back there with the Dunlop 606's and the stock gearing but my loops are shorter than I could otherwise do on a lighter bike.
I like to run the 15/48 gearing, I tried 14/48 for awhile but I like the Rs down lower, seems to make the bike less high-strung if you can call it that and it's not uncommon to come across a WFO trail or Arroyo occassionally No matter what gearing you run though, power won't be an issue The BRP can be a handfull on tight single track but in the desert it's perfect.

Local ride near the house.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote