Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #20491
S-TrackJunkie
Knee Down!

Oddometer: 691
Or flip it 180*, then it looks like it would be where it belongs...HTH!!
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #20492
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
I'm looking for a pair of OEM XR650R handguards.
Anyone have a newer/clean pair they'd like to part with?
thanks
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #20493
pigrider10
Banned

Oddometer: 3
Hey guys, time for a new sprockets and chain for me. I have had a d.i.d erv3 chain on this thing for 10,000+ miles and it's awesome but very expensive, is there anything else that compares at a cheaper price? For sprockets I'm going with the ironman my 10,000+ miles ones are just barely starting to show wear so they have a customer for life.

pigrider10 screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 07:15 PM
pigrider10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:42 AM   #20494
S-TrackJunkie
Knee Down!

Oddometer: 691
I am glad to hear that about Ironman Spokets...since I have one that's relatively new. I picked up my chain on Ebay for a great price, though it fails now how much. I went with a DID X-Ring, and so far it's been spot on! I clean it once a season, and oil it prior to every ride...although last summer was a year lost to riding off road....:sad:
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:53 AM   #20495
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Loco View Post
By the looks of that post, I think I'm just all over the damn place with this project.

Perhaps, but with FI and a wider ratio trans, I like what you are shooting for. Keep us updated.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #20496
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrider10 View Post
Hey guys, time for a new sprockets and chain for me. I have had a d.i.d erv3 chain on this thing for 10,000+ miles and it's awesome but very expensive, is there anything else that compares at a cheaper price? For sprockets I'm going with the ironman my 10,000+ miles ones are just barely starting to show wear so they have a customer for life.

If you don't mind spending an extra $2000 when that cheaper chains breaks, then by all means find yourself a cheaper chain. (Search this thread for Primary Drive Chain break). If you are running chains 10,000 miles, the last thing you should be doing is looking for a cheaper one.

To put it in perspective, assume you save $40. You will then be saving yourself $0.004 per mile. That is less than one half of one cent per mile.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #20497
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,501
LED Taillight FYI

Guys,
I put in a call to Wheeling Cycle supply today and they tell me they are working on a new batch of LED taillights for us deserving pig riders.

I am trying to avoid doing a dual sport fender tab on mine; considering how hard I ride, I don't want anything that far out on a lever arm in the whoops

Edit: There is a guy on CL here parting out a 2000 XR. He says it has a new cam and rockers. I don't need one but I will find out if it's a hot cam.....or those of you who are looking can search "XR 650 R" in Phx CL

EsconDeasy screwed with this post 04-10-2014 at 10:07 AM
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #20498
LVCJT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Guys,
I put in a call to Wheeling Cycle supply today and they tell me they are working on a new batch of LED taillights for us deserving pig riders.

Xrs Only had them in stock 2 weeks ago.:

Sent from the depths of my pockets
LVCJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:17 AM   #20499
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
XR650R Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
Guys,

I am trying to avoid doing a dual sport fender tab on mine; considering how hard I ride, I don't want anything that far out on a lever arm in the whoops

Edit: There is a guy on CL here parting out a 2000 XR. He says it has a new cam and rockers. I don't need one but I will find out if it's a hot cam.....or those of you who are looking can search "XR 650 R" in Phx CL

Xrs only had them in stock a month ago. I got one.

Edit: haha. Ya beat me to it.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:03 AM   #20500
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Oddometer: 478
XRR build advice

First off, long lasting is the name of the game. I'm not looking for every ounce of added power I can get. I'm looking for a long lasting dual sport bike with plenty of power through out the curve.

I have a motor that needs new valvetrain, piston, cylinder, and rod.

I was looking at all the various options out there but it's hard to find good, real world results on XR parts.

I would like to get as close to an HRC power up kit as I can but all of those parts are pretty much non-existent.

So far, the only set in stone parts I'll be using are a pretty much stock bottom end, TRX700XX wide ratio 1-4 gears, and a Falicon rod.

I have a TRX700XX stator and I'm waiting on a TRX flywheel to get here to see if I can use that as well but I won't know until I get my hands on it. 280 watt output with OEM parts sounds nice.

Break in and this season will be on an FCR 41mm, then I'll start working my way over to the fuel injection.

So I basically have a blank canvas to work with when it comes to the head, valvetrain, cylinder, and piston.

Any experience with the megacycle or web cams?

Again, long lasting is the name of the game. To clarify, I'm not looking for every ounce of added power I can get. I'm looking for a long lasting dual sport bike with plenty of power through out the curve.

Wherever I ride, I usually have my hand in the throttle pretty hard and I really geek out over some wide open, flowing track.

El Caballo Loco screwed with this post 04-10-2014 at 11:08 AM
El Caballo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #20501
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caballo Loco View Post
First off, long lasting is the name of the game. I'm not looking for every ounce of added power I can get. I'm looking for a long lasting dual sport bike with plenty of power through out the curve.

I have a motor that needs new valvetrain, piston, cylinder, and rod.

I was looking at all the various options out there but it's hard to find good, real world results on XR parts.

I would like to get as close to an HRC power up kit as I can but all of those parts are pretty much non-existent.

So far, the only set in stone parts I'll be using are a pretty much stock bottom end, TRX700XX wide ratio 1-4 gears, and a Falicon rod.

I have a TRX700XX stator and I'm waiting on a TRX flywheel to get here to see if I can use that as well but I won't know until I get my hands on it. 280 watt output with OEM parts sounds nice.

Break in and this season will be on an FCR 41mm, then I'll start working my way over to the fuel injection.

So I basically have a blank canvas to work with when it comes to the head, valvetrain, cylinder, and piston.

Any experience with the megacycle or web cams?

Again, long lasting is the name of the game. To clarify, I'm not looking for every ounce of added power I can get. I'm looking for a long lasting dual sport bike with plenty of power through out the curve.

Wherever I ride, I usually have my hand in the throttle pretty hard and I really geek out over some wide open, flowing track.

I would go HRC copy cam, which ever 100mm piston, oem head w/ aftermarket valves and oem cylinder. You have plenty of cams to pick from, but if you aren't imrpoving the intake, bore, or exhaust I wouldn't put to much thought in to it. I think the rod is the biggest deal, and you got that covered with the Falicon.

It is nice to know that I probably got one of the last HRC valve trains, so that $600 was well spent, I guess.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #20502
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCJT View Post
Xrs Only had them in stock 2 weeks ago.:

Sent from the depths of my pockets

Thanks!
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #20503
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

Thanks crypto.

Are oversize valves beneficial with stock bore/hrc cam/port work?

Port work is definitely not out of the question but a big bore is.

Since it needs new seats and valves, I would like to be efficient with the direction I take the motor.

Is XRs Only the sole company doing an HRC copy? I've heard some good AND bad things about them.

What about Webb or MegaCycle?
Old 04-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #20504
El Caballo Loco
Pants-free living!

To clarify, the trx tb is 44mm. The exhaust is an older white bros e series and I'm on the fence about the head pipe.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #20505
Lostsaffa
Half Man Half BRP

Oddometer: 667
Does anyone here know of a replacement light for the OEM American headlight which has high and low beam?

I have to keep the OEM surround so need something that can fit in the existing headlights hole but give me the twin beam.