Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 PM   #2416
the_hulkamaniac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Dealer
Anyone know if Barnums still sells their exhaust? Or is the "works" type Pro Circuit the only option obtainable?

Maybe if you bug him enough and wait for it he will build you one. He had the part to build a couple in the spring when I got my motor from him. I didn't go for a pipe.

xrmanu had a "equal" length style pipe http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...554&highlight= didn't read far enough to remember who made it. awesome bike!
the_hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:07 AM   #2417
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,727
D908rr

Just recieved my dunlop D908rr. Figured I would say a few words about it.

First off that thing is big and wide. I couldnt imagine putting this on a smaller bike. Also I dont expect the bike to turn nearly as fast as it does with a smaller tire.

On the other hand I can tell this tire isnt going to waste away like some others. Every knob is made thicker than it is tall so none of the knobs will flex, probably nice in rocks but maybe a pain in mud.

Assuming this tire lasts longer than everything else, this could be the tire for a long range mixed terrain ride.

More when I install the tire.

Header
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 AM   #2418
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by header
Just recieved my dunlop D908rr. Figured I would say a few words about it.

First off that thing is big and wide. I couldnt imagine putting this on a smaller bike. Also I dont expect the bike to turn nearly as fast as it does with a smaller tire.

On the other hand I can tell this tire isnt going to waste away like some others. Every knob is made thicker than it is tall so none of the knobs will flex, probably nice in rocks but maybe a pain in mud.

Assuming this tire lasts longer than everything else, this could be the tire for a long range mixed terrain ride.

More when I install the tire.

Header
Dude, get your money back. That tire sucks for the piggy and the type of terrain I've seen pictures of you riding. Yes, it will last a long time but you will be wishing it would go away waaaay before you actually wear it out!

I would only consider this tire again for a long trip with lots of slab and fire roads only.

Sorry. My nipples worth...

(ps we're big fans of the Maxxis Desert IT around here)

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #2419
header
Chris

Im sure it isnt going to work as well as a real knobby (or a normal DOT tire) but I had to try it to know how far it will go and how it performs. Then I will know how it works for long trips.

Your comment did make me feel good though

If I really dont like it, ill just swap it out back and forth with good tires for dirt then go back to it when I want to explore and dont care about traction or speed.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 AM   #2420
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Well, here's how it will most likely work out for you...

At first, when it still has some square edges, you'll think to yourself that that brad21 guy is full of shite. THEN, when the edges get rounded off and you're on some slippery sidehill and you're laying on your side you'll think... hmm, maybe he wasn't so full of shite. It has really stiff sidewalls too so you're going to notice that as well.

I made the mistake of taking the bike with this tire (half worn already) out to the Alvord desert and doing some fairly technical riding with it. Here's a couple of results...

Before:

After:

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute

brad21 screwed with this post 12-23-2009 at 08:23 AM
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 AM   #2421
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Hooker
RideFreak- like you, i'm no expert on all this, but i've been reasearching a LOT on XRR systems for mine- have you considered the Pro Circuit 496 sllip on? from what i hear, it adds a nice boost of power while still keeping the low end and it's not too loud. Personally i've had good experiences with PC in the past. also, i'm going to add a TM or Eddy Pumper as well. next year, i'm going to add a 680 kit or HRC equivilent for some more power- my XRR is undergoing a conversion to SM duties but still will be trail ridden a lot
That thing is gonna haul ass I haven't narrowed it down to a specific pipe/slipon, for the $$ they want, I'm going to get a ride on someone's bike before I shell out the $$. You might want to check out BigBoreThumpers.com for your 680 parts, they are good guys and will work with you, I'm considering getting an 11:1 JRE piston from them.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #2422
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Don't waste your money on an exhaust system, just put a different tip on the oem one. E-bay has some nice aluminum tips for 25 bucks.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:38 AM   #2423
Dirt Hooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard
Don't waste your money on an exhaust system, just put a different tip on the oem one. E-bay has some nice aluminum tips for 25 bucks.

not a bad option, but RideFreak also mentioned wanting to drop some weight from the stock anchor of a pipe- depending on your needs/wants an aftermarket exhaust can give you a lot of added performance
Dirt Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #2424
header
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
Well, here's how it will most likely work out for you...

At first, when it still has some square edges, you'll think to yourself that that brad21 guy is full of shite. THEN, when the edges get rounded off and you're on some slippery sidehill and you're laying on your side you'll think... hmm, maybe he wasn't so full of shite. It has really stiff sidewalls too so you're going to notice that as well.

I made the mistake of taking the bike with this tire (half worn already) out to the Alvord desert and doing some fairly technical riding with it.
Oh im not saying your wrong I actually agree with you! Im not kidding myself, I know this tire isnt going to perform in the dirt I just want to know which tire I can use for a long distance tire in case I ever go down the TAT. I figure its just like anything else for dual sport, a compromise.

On a different note, those trackmasters work really well. Even in mud. Best thing ive used thats DOT rated.

EDIT: forgot to mention the tyre was free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclewizard
Tips
What do the tips do? Im assuming they restrict the air and vary tourque or move the power in the RPM band?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #2425
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Hooker
not a bad option, but RideFreak also mentioned wanting to drop some weight from the stock anchor of a pipe- depending on your needs/wants an aftermarket exhaust can give you a lot of added performance

I went from the stock OEM exhaust with the aftermarket tip to a full PC t4 system and didn't notice anything besides saving some weight.
And it also lightened my pocket so I saved a substantial amount of weight there also.