Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #4081
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I'd be in jail.
That's like having a six speed.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #4082
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,341
Seriously. I run 15/46 on my street wheelset and that's plenty fast.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #4083
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Jesusgatos 15/41? Dang.

Any takers?
Melbourne-Australia
Mob: 0411 645 969
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #4084
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,372
OFFICIAL!!

Got the pristine from heaven BRP tonight..02/3500 miles..Stage 1 CAM and not a scratch on her..pics coming tomorrow...from a fellow ADVrider, street legal with title in hand..

Super Happy...

BUT...

This thing is like a mini bike compared to my XR400's and especially my pal's BRP's..at least 3 inches lower (no lowering kit) than their bikes..it feels like a XR100 compared to my XR400's I've owned..I measured the seat height at 33 1/2 inches..

Wondering if it's the pre-load (set about 1/3 down the threads) or is it just the optical illusion of no big tank and no dirt on her. I'm 6*4 and can stand up and let her run away from me no prob my legs are bent at almost a 45 degree when sitting on her..just a bit taller than a Honda Rebel..and way shorther than a stock XR650L..smaller than a DRZ by a good 6 inches..(but a damn sight faster )..I really feel like I traded down from an XR400 in bike status..exept for the power..but I would have went for a CRF450, or even a CRF230F..which still feels bigger than this at the moment..???

Bonebag screwed with this post 05-02-2010 at 09:04 PM
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #4085
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Forks suddenly hard to turn

Well I shouldn't say suddenly. I broke my ankle a while back and when I went down, the forks were a little twisted. Today I rolled the R out of the garage, to remove the stator. The forks were very hard to turn! The last time I pulled the bike out there was no problem. It has not been ridden since December, but I have rolled it around a few times in the interim. I probably have not touched it for 3 months, while I'm waiting for my bone to heal.

What would cause the forks to be very hard to turn? When I crashed, I rode it back home with the twisted forks, and did not notice hard turning then or since until today.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #4086
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251
Well I shouldn't say suddenly. I broke my ankle a while back and when I went down, the forks were a little twisted. Today I rolled the R out of the garage, to remove the stator. The forks were very hard to turn! The last time I pulled the bike out there was no problem. It has not been ridden since December, but I have rolled it around a few times in the interim. I probably have not touched it for 3 months, while I'm waiting for my bone to heal.

What would cause the forks to be very hard to turn? When I crashed, I rode it back home with the twisted forks, and did not notice hard turning then or since until today.

Thanks for any help!
Bearings are wonderful: Remove/inspect/grease or replace
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #4087
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Bearings are wonderful: Remove/inspect/grease or replace
Well yeah, it's something to do with the bearings, but what could happen while it's sitting like that to make it hard to turn? All I can think of is the lube turned into glue. ????????
Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #4088
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

What are the limits are as far as top-speed gear ratios that work with the stock length chain. I'm running 15/46, and I could probably drop down to a 45. Stepping up to 16 countershaft sprocket might let you drop down to, what, 43/44?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #4089
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,063
Quote:
Well yeah, it's something to do with the bearings, but what could happen while it's sitting like that to make it hard to turn? All I can think of is the lube turned into glue. ????????
Rust.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #4090
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
That happens man...Idle is bad..there's that saying..about the devil and stuff..well..it applies to stearing head bearings as well

and swingarm bearings..and shock linkage bearings..and kickstand bearings (wait..there is no kickstand bearings... )
Old 05-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #4091
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
What are the limits are as far as top-speed gear ratios that work with the stock length chain. I'm running 15/46, and I could probably drop down to a 45. Stepping up to 16 countershaft sprocket might let you drop down to, what, 43/44?
Depends on how far you have stretched it mister tight wad ..I thought the Euro XRR's ran 15/42..you could run down to your local shop (you cant do this on the web and get some extra chain links cut off a bike and throw in an extra link...but you'd have to buy a press and that would cost you as much as a couple chains...
Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #4092
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
OFFICIAL!!

Got the pristine from heaven BRP tonight..02/3500 miles..Stage 1 CAM and not a scratch on her..pics coming tomorrow...from a fellow ADVrider, street legal with title in hand..

Super Happy...

BUT...

This thing is like a mini bike compared to my XR400's and especially my pal's BRP's..at least 3 inches lower (no lowering kit) than their bikes..it feels like a XR100 compared to my XR400's I've owned..I measured the seat height at 33 1/2 inches..

Wondering if it's the pre-load (set about 1/3 down the threads) or is it just the optical illusion of no big tank and no dirt on her. I'm 6*4 and can stand up and let her run away from me no prob my legs are bent at almost a 45 degree when sitting on her..just a bit taller than a Honda Rebel..and way shorther than a stock XR650L..smaller than a DRZ by a good 6 inches..(but a damn sight faster )..I really feel like I traded down from an XR400 in bike status..exept for the power..but I would have went for a CRF450, or even a CRF230F..which still feels bigger than this at the moment..???
Congratulations! Are you planning on tricking it out anything like that 400 you just sold? As far as the ergos, yeah, they're terrible. Maybe just about the worst of any fullsize dirtbike I've ever ridden. But I LOVE the way my BRP is set up now. Just have to spend a little bit of time/money dialing it in.

The handlebar position is the first thing you'll want to change. Get a new set of tripleclamps that will move the handlebars up/forward. I'm sure you've noticed that the stock setup has aNEGATIVE offset. WTF was Honda thinking?

Oh, and that brokeback saddle... You'll want to replace that with something taller. Actually, that's something I've been looking into too. I reshaped my stock seat, and I'm really happy with how it turned out, but I want a tall(er) seat for longer DS rides. Thinking about getting a Guts tall seat, with a step. Anybody tried that combo?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #4093
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
Congratulations! Are you planning on tricking it out anything like that 400 you just sold? As far as the ergos, yeah, they're terrible. Maybe just about the worst of any fullsize dirtbike I've ever ridden. But I LOVE the way my BRP is set up now. Just have to spend a little bit of time/money dialing it in.

The handlebar position is the first thing you'll want to change. Get a new set of tripleclamps that will move the handlebars up/forward. I'm sure you've noticed that the stock setup has aNEGATIVE offset. WTF was Honda thinking?

Oh, and that brokeback saddle... You'll want to replace that with something taller. Actually, that's something I've been looking into too. I reshaped my stock seat, and I'm really happy with how it turned out, but I want a tall(er) seat for longer DS rides. Thinking about getting a Guts tall seat, with a step. Anybody tried that combo?
Any recommendations on tripple clamp manufacturers???
Old 05-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #4094
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Depends on how far you have stretched it mister tight wad ..I thought the Euro XRR's ran 15/42..you could run down to your local shop (you cant do this on the web and get some extra chain links cut off a bike and throw in an extra link...but you'd have to buy a press and that would cost you as much as a couple chains...
No no no, that's not it (I'm running Ironman sprockets and a Regina ZRH chain). I've just got two wheelsets, and if I have to switch chains, I wouldn't switch back/forth between them nearly as often as I do now. Got a 48T sprocket on my 'dirt' wheel, and a 46T on my 'street' wheel right now. Run 14 & 15T countershaft sprocket, just depending on whether I'm riding trails, DS, or street. I think I might pop for a 16T countershaft sprocket though, just because I've been logging a lot of miles running around town lately.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #4095
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Any recommendations on tripple clamp manufacturers???
Well I'm running CRF forks & tripleclamps on my bike, but I'd go with SCOTTS/BRP if I was in the market. I think their XR650R tripleclamps come with something like 6mm offset (talking about the distance from the steering stem, measured forward to the handlebar perch mounting holes). Then their handlebar perches have 3mm reversible offset built into them, so you would have your choice of either 3mm or 9mm total offset. If you get their SUB-mount, you're locked into whatever offset is built into it (don't know what that is, off the top of my head). Just for reference, the CRF tripleclamps that I'm running have 11mm offset, and I'm running 0 offset Easton EXP perches with these bars. It's plenty roomy for me. In fact, I'm stretched out to the point where I've thought about running 5mm offset perches to the rear, which would put me back somewhere right around where you'd be with a SCOTTS/BRP tripleclamp setup. I've been doing a lot of work with tripleclamps and steering stabilizer mounts and that kind of stuff lately, so if you have any more questions, just ask.