Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #7081
Dances_With_Trees
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNC995 View Post
Well, I have a couple options with states.
My home of record is FL, which I hear is miserable to do it in. My dad lives in GA, and I could easily get it reg'd under his name if Ga is good about it. I'm stationed in NC, so that's another possibility.
Any one have recent experience with those states? The bike is a 2007, if that matters at all.

Are all xr650r's originally marked and/or vin'd as offroad use only? I've been reading up different sites, and people keep mentioning the MOC, and if it states offraod use only, or if the vin has a certain letter, then it complicates things BIG time.
JNC,
I recently registered my XR650R in Wyoming, while living in California and having my permanent address in Colorado. I claim Wyoming residency. Colorado is still a possiblility but, you have to have a vehicle inspection accomplished by a higway patrol officer. California I believe is darn near impossible. I'm not sure about the states you mentioned. Best of luck.
Dances_With_Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #7082
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNC995 View Post
Are all xr650r's originally marked and/or vin'd as offroad use only? I've been reading up different sites, and people keep mentioning the MOC, and if it states offraod use only, or if the vin has a certain letter, then it complicates things BIG time.
In Colorado you want it to state "for off road use only", and you write it on bills of sale for dirtbikes you're going to dualsport. That shows that it's a previously untitled bike, so there's no need to do a title search for any previous titles.

The MSO (mfr's statement of origin) is not required in CO, a bill of sale works.

I'm taking this down to the Colorado State Patrol tomorrow for it's certified VIN verification, compliance inspection, and off to DMV for plates after I call my insurance agent.

I bought this from Michelangelo in early December. Replaced a pranged radiator, shagged chain and sprockets...had local suspension guru Neil Hores revalve and respring both ends.
Bought a PMB rack from an inmate, put on new ProTapers with Cycra CRM handguards....

Added a 250w Baja Designs rewind & one of their d/s kits.

An Eastern Beaver "3 Circuit Solution" (simple fuseblock) has it's 40a relay triggered by the 5w running light in the headlight shell. Turn the d/s kit on, that running light comes on and the fuseblock has power.
Right now that's just GPS, Vapor lighting, and a pair of Symtec grip heaters.
An Osram 80w-85 H4 bulb is in the mail...

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #7083
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,427
Some more HD XRR Vids

Just a bunch of old guys out on a Sunday Ride

The XR was the biggest (and heaviest) bike out there and I was feeling it.

RideFreak screwed with this post 01-19-2011 at 02:29 AM
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #7084
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,050
What's the trick to replacing footpegs...and keeping the springs working properly?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #7085
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
What's the trick to replacing footpegs...and keeping the springs working properly?
Um, pull the cotter pins, replace the footpegs (reinstall the old springs), reinstall/replace the cotter pins. Are you having any specific problems?
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #7086
UKTim
n00b

Oddometer: 5
plus 1

after having my 03 XRR for a couple of years I went got myself a 2nd XRR this week, US import 07 model year, stage 1 cam, hi comp piston, full race system with electric starter fitted, chassis has braking wavey discs, billet top yoke & renthal fatbars, thought it best to have 2 bikes the same when we go on a journey, less spares etc, the electric start was the only thing left for the XRR that I lusted after, so I'll take all the sweet bits off & stick them on my 03-or do I just put all the parts from my 03 on the 07? only 2 weeks til it's enduro time, isn't life just grand!
Attached Images

UKTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #7087
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Um, pull the cotter pins, replace the footpegs (reinstall the old springs), reinstall/replace the cotter pins. Are you having any specific problems?
Not yet. I was just thinking about it, pegs are on the FedEx truck today.

I took the pegs off a streetbike once and had a bear of a time getting the springs back in properly. Just wondered if it's simpler on most dirtbikes.

I haven't really looked at the stock pegs, or how they actually work....just thinking about it.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #7088
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKTim View Post
after having my 03 XRR for a couple of years I went got myself a 2nd XRR this week, US import 07 model year, stage 1 cam, hi comp piston, full race system with electric starter fitted, chassis has braking wavey discs, billet top yoke & renthal fatbars, thought it best to have 2 bikes the same when we go on a journey, less spares etc, the electric start was the only thing left for the XRR that I lusted after, so I'll take all the sweet bits off & stick them on my 03-or do I just put all the parts from my 03 on the 07? only 2 weeks til it's enduro time, isn't life just grand!

I'd move the good stuff to the 7. You probably don't want the electric start...I'll PM you my address.

Nice score!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #7089
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Thumb

Hi,

I own a 2000 XR650R and recently founded a 2007 XR650R on very good shape, 5k on it only.

Now I´ve moved all the stuff (muffler, IMS tank, pegs, lights, etc, to the 2007).

I have already announced my 2000 XRR for sale, but as soon as the market is not very animated lately due to the crisis, and as soon as on best case they ll give me 2200€ for it, maybe i´ll keep it on SM wheels and leave it at my house on the mountain tu burn some turns sometimes.

For me to buy a 2007 is a Renewal, i am not very convinced to keep both. And in case i would like to have two XRR, maybe one of them would be on dual sport configuration, with electric start, as Honda Dall´Ara Italy are Selling.

Anyway i like the "Baja" configuration, and that is the one i am going to have on my 2007 XRR from now on.

Here below some of the configurations i´ve had on my 2000 XRR

BAJA

XPLORING

ADVENTURE

RALLYE
Old 01-19-2011, 08:50 PM   #7090
AlpinaE24
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Horseshoe Lake
2000 XR650R - Plated - Sold
2000 XR600R - Sold
AlpinaE24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #7091
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
mmmm bouncy

Its winter time here and my money is eating a hole in my pocket. Suspension upgrades seem to be at the top of the list. I am going to get some new springs, ive been bottoming out the stock rate springs. Im starting to jump it but only on the trail type jumps, no MX other than table tops and the occasional single. But I don't want to go too stiff in the rear, im pretty sold on the .45s for the forks but I don't know if I should get the 10.0 or the 10.5 for the rear. I only weigh 195lbs but with my gear on I weigh 215-220 plus tools. Then there are the few times ill load the bike for a long weekend on it, and actually fill up the whole gas tank. Additionally on top of all that I am planning on racing this whole season (tight harescrambles).

My main worry is the 10.5 will be too stiff when im at my lightest, for instance if I don't have tools with me or a camelback ill be back down to a pretty light weight but when im not carrying anything ill most likely be hauling some serious $#@.

How big of a difference is there going to be from the 10.0 to the 10.5?

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #7092
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

It's time to replace my rear fender. Stock won't cut it. I do not want the holes for the taillight. I run an undermount light/plate holder.

What creative rear fenders have been used?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #7093
Dirtybrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Just a bunch of old guys out on a Sunday Ride

The XR was the biggest (and heaviest) bike out there and I was feeling it.
Another great movie, jealous as hell!
Dirtybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:15 AM   #7094
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
Its winter time here and my money is eating a hole in my pocket. Suspension upgrades seem to be at the top of the list. I am going to get some new springs, ive been bottoming out the stock rate springs. Im starting to jump it but only on the trail type jumps, no MX other than table tops and the occasional single. But I don't want to go too stiff in the rear, im pretty sold on the .45s for the forks but I don't know if I should get the 10.0 or the 10.5 for the rear. I only weigh 195lbs but with my gear on I weigh 215-220 plus tools. Then there are the few times ill load the bike for a long weekend on it, and actually fill up the whole gas tank. Additionally on top of all that I am planning on racing this whole season (tight harescrambles).

My main worry is the 10.5 will be too stiff when im at my lightest, for instance if I don't have tools with me or a camelback ill be back down to a pretty light weight but when im not carrying anything ill most likely be hauling some serious $#@.

How big of a difference is there going to be from the 10.0 to the 10.5?
So Chris, how'd that 525 look? Are you drinking the orange coolade yet?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #7095
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
So Chris, how'd that 525 look? Are you drinking the orange coolade yet?
I was wondering if word would get around to this thread that I was looking for one. I had money in hand while I waited for the guy to call and say he was free to have me come down and look at it...except he never called. I called him four times and left a text message (because he didn't have voicemail set up ) but he never called back. Factor that in with him getting the bike in a trade and knowing absolutely nothing about it kind of put me off of the whole thing.

I looked around to see if there were any others close by and im SOL unless I want to go to Kansas. My thought process as of right now is keep the XRR, put the money into suspension, then maybe get a 125 to practice on and to keep for a toy that way when I break the pig I still have something to keep me in "race mode".

As for a comparison between the XRR and the KTM: To me the KTM would be a better bike because of its lighter weight, electric start, and general setup for enduros and woods which besides a long dualsport day (which is just gravel roads until the enduro type riding) thats what I use the XRR for anyway. But the XRR doesn't do all that bad when a skilled rider is on top and being a poor college student the low amount of maintenace even when ridden in races is very nice compared to the KTM. My last race (out of 6 so far) was my best, I was able to hold a mid B pace, I wasn't tired at the end of the day, and I know I can improve that speed.

After riding with some new friends this past season, I decided to make new plans for this comming season. I am going to try to compete in all of the district 15 harescrambles with the goal of advancing to the A class. Will I make it? Doubtfully so, but I am going to give it my very best. To advance to the A list I must place in the top three in atleast three races with 5 or more competitors in the class, and have an overall average of 21mph. That last race was a team race and we managed 20.03mph and I was 15-45seconds faster than my partner on most of the laps so I know the XRR can do it. After upgrading the suspension, practicing where im weak at, and actually preparing to try for a win during every race, I think I can make it. Do I need the KTM to do it though? I doubt it, would it help me get there faster sure it would but 250 or 300 would get me there even faster.

EDIT: Think I should start a thread about it in racing to document my efforts? I already started practicing for the spring races, im bad in the deep mud so practicing on snow and ice is good practice but its also just barely cold enough to freeze stuff here so when everything thaws I go out and ride perfect conditions for racing. Ive made some big improvements even with completely wornout streetlegal knobbies on. Can you say hydroplaining!

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh

header screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 08:48 AM
header is offline   Reply With Quote