ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #7966
windquest
Studly Adventurer
 
windquest's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanphil View Post
what are peoples thoughts on running a fan ?


i have opted to running the heat wrap instead of a fan and have not found a great need for one, my riding style (apart from ) is in the 20 80 k speed range and as I have pretty well finished the rebuild am not finding any real heat issues, I am still running the stock tank tho, that will change when spare dosh comes my way

I dont run a temp gauge either, have considered one but think that you can also go to far in farkling these things up ...... just the normal protection bits for those long rides that will come along my way sooooon
Im running a ktm fan on mine. I have it hooked up to automatically turn on with a thermostat switch plus I have a coolant temp sensor on my vapor. It was a pain to set up but works great and you don't have to think about turning any switches on.

On that note I use my bike for everything inlcuding commuting so the need for a fan came mainly from stop and go traffic. When using the bike offroad I have never found the need for a fan.
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #7967
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer
 
mxbundy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Hemet Ca.
Oddometer: 852
Ridgecrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I know where a new 2007 is.


__________________
The 80`s..........ah yes...back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #7968
kt1fab
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch Colorado
Oddometer: 80
Sun in Colorado shhhhhhhhh hahaha


Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I know where a new 2007 is.


kt1fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #7969
Al-X
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Al-X's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Oddometer: 183
a Bike like that will easily sell for $7500 in SA. You buy XRR's for mad prices here. Honda is bringing the old school XR650L in and you just do not get one. It's booked in advance for months already!
__________________
98 Honda XR600R, 06 Suzuki DL1000VS ADV, 11 Honda XR125L
90 Yamaha DT180, Yamaha PW80, for the laaitie.

PREV: 04 KLR650, 96 R1100GS, 06 WeeStrom, 05 DRZ400, 00 XR650R, 07 KTM525XC Desert Racer
Al-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #7970
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 3,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanphil View Post
what are peoples thoughts on running a fan ?


i have opted to running the heat wrap instead of a fan and have not found a great need for one, my riding style (apart from ) is in the 20 80 k speed range and as I have pretty well finished the rebuild am not finding any real heat issues, I am still running the stock tank tho, that will change when spare dosh comes my way

I dont run a temp gauge either, have considered one but think that you can also go to far in farkling these things up ...... just the normal protection bits for those long rides that will come along my way sooooon
I run the KTM fan, turn it on on very hot summer days when you are crawling around or stuck in city traffic getting to the trail. But i run the AceWell computer and have the temp gage hooked up to know the temp...I don't think knowing the temp is too much farkling.
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #7971
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life
 
JustinT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: The Great US
Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanphil View Post
what are peoples thoughts on running a fan ?


i have opted to running the heat wrap instead of a fan and have not found a great need for one, my riding style (apart from ) is in the 20 80 k speed range and as I have pretty well finished the rebuild am not finding any real heat issues, I am still running the stock tank tho, that will change when spare dosh comes my way

I dont run a temp gauge either, have considered one but think that you can also go to far in farkling these things up ...... just the normal protection bits for those long rides that will come along my way sooooon
When mine was rebuilt the shop pointed out that my head was warrped, he attributed it toward ovetheating. That was before temp gauge, now I have a gauge and a fan and turn it on when water temps are above 200 cause stat is open.
__________________
Full Throttle - it either solves the problem or ends the suspense
JustinT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #7972
opcocrg
Gnarly Adventurer
 
opcocrg's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Abq. N.M.
Oddometer: 146
rear fender bolts.....

After doing some more exploring on the XR I noticed that the cargo rack was missing the left mounting bolt that threads into the end of the sub-frame. I tried threading the bolt from the right side into it and discovered that the hole was never completely drilled out or tapped so I decided to remove the rear fender so I could finish tapping it and found that these three bolts are just spinning and I can't get them out. Anyone experience this and have a suggestion on how to fix it and get them out without cutting into the sub-frame?

opcocrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #7973
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
Ridgecrest?

Yeah, I think he said $5800 and might have a couple more.
__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #7974
Sean-0
Closed
 
Sean-0's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Oztraya Mate
Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by opcocrg View Post
After doing some more exploring on the XR I noticed that the cargo rack was missing the left mounting bolt that threads into the end of the sub-frame. I tried threading the bolt from the right side into it and discovered that the hole was never completely drilled out or tapped so I decided to remove the rear fender so I could finish tapping it and found that these three bolts are just spinning and I can't get them out. Anyone experience this and have a suggestion on how to fix it and get them out without cutting into the sub-frame?

mate the easiest way to do that i found , is

use a small drill bit , drill right next to the bolt and use the drill bit to bite into the nut , it worked for me
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #7975
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: 50 Miles From Oark
Oddometer: 209
I've taken my Utah Sport Cycle/Ricochet skidplate off for the last time. I'm so sick of having to dremel the bolts out because the allen heads strip only to turn around and bitch about having to line up six of the bracket clip things all while laying on my side under the bike.

Who makes a similar type of skid plate with good protection that bolts up to the stock mounting holes?

Also be looking for two (one beat up but functionally fine, one like new) of the Utah skidplates for sale in the flea market.
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #7976
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 3,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by opcocrg View Post
After doing some more exploring on the XR I noticed that the cargo rack was missing the left mounting bolt that threads into the end of the sub-frame. I tried threading the bolt from the right side into it and discovered that the hole was never completely drilled out or tapped so I decided to remove the rear fender so I could finish tapping it and found that these three bolts are just spinning and I can't get them out. Anyone experience this and have a suggestion on how to fix it and get them out without cutting into the sub-frame?

I drilled completely through and used bolts and lock nuts with washers and some sort of spacer thingy inside the hole. It has worked for me, and never again do you need to worry about seized bolts. I was a little worried that might weaken the frame, but nope, thats not really the weak part of our frames anyways.
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #7977
brp2004
Orygun
 
brp2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 200
I've ran you Devol skidplate for five years without any problems. It bolts to the stock holes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post
I've taken my Utah Sport Cycle/Ricochet skidplate off for the last time. I'm so sick of having to dremel the bolts out because the allen heads strip only to turn around and bitch about having to line up six of the bracket clip things all while laying on my side under the bike.

Who makes a similar type of skid plate with good protection that bolts up to the stock mounting holes?

Also be looking for two (one beat up but functionally fine, one like new) of the Utah skidplates for sale in the flea market.
brp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #7978
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: 50 Miles From Oark
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp2004 View Post
I've ran you Devol skidplate for five years without any problems. It bolts to the stock holes.
Do you have any pictures? Their website has to show a stock skidplate type of picture because I don't think you'd ever be able to change the oil without taking it off.
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #7979
modette
RMAR
 
modette's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Monument, CO
Oddometer: 3,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post
Do you have any pictures? Their website has to show a stock skidplate type of picture because I don't think you'd ever be able to change the oil without taking it off.
This
__________________
Member of AMA, COHVCO, and RMAR
On the Board of Directors for RMAR: Director of Promotions
Our site: Rocky Mountain Adventure Riders
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #7980
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain
 
Coastie3202's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Oddometer: 828
How far to raise forks

I have heard that sliding the forks up in the triple tree helps with turning, and I know that that is correct because I have done it on other bikes.

How far up have you folks slid your forks? I am 0.3 cm up right now, which puts the fork cap seam right at the top of the triple tree.

Look forward to hearing what ya'll are doing.
Photobucket
__________________
I want to live in a world where common sense and courtesy trump entitlement...a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motivation questioned.
Coastie3202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014