Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #7966
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketmanphil View Post
what are peoples thoughts on running a fan ?

i have opted to running the heat wrap instead of a fan and have not found a great need for one, my riding style (apart from ) is in the 20 80 k speed range and as I have pretty well finished the rebuild am not finding any real heat issues, I am still running the stock tank tho, that will change when spare dosh comes my way

I dont run a temp gauge either, have considered one but think that you can also go to far in farkling these things up ...... just the normal protection bits for those long rides that will come along my way sooooon
Im running a ktm fan on mine. I have it hooked up to automatically turn on with a thermostat switch plus I have a coolant temp sensor on my vapor. It was a pain to set up but works great and you don't have to think about turning any switches on.

On that note I use my bike for everything inlcuding commuting so the need for a fan came mainly from stop and go traffic. When using the bike offroad I have never found the need for a fan.
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #7967
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Ridgecrest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I know where a new 2007 is.

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #7968
kt1fab
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Sun in Colorado shhhhhhhhh hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I know where a new 2007 is.

kt1fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #7969
Al-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
a Bike like that will easily sell for $7500 in SA. You buy XRR's for mad prices here. Honda is bringing the old school XR650L in and you just do not get one. It's booked in advance for months already!

PREV: 04 KLR650, 96 R1100GS, 06 WeeStrom, 05 DRZ400, 00 XR650R, 07 KTM525XC Desert Racer
Al-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 AM   #7970
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,998
Quote:

i have opted to running the heat wrap instead of a fan and have not found a great need for one, my riding style (apart from ) is in the 20 80 k speed range and as I have pretty well finished the rebuild am not finding any real heat issues, I am still running the stock tank tho, that will change when spare dosh comes my way

I dont run a temp gauge either, have considered one but think that you can also go to far in farkling these things up ...... just the normal protection bits for those long rides that will come along my way sooooon
I run the KTM fan, turn it on on very hot summer days when you are crawling around or stuck in city traffic getting to the trail. But i run the AceWell computer and have the temp gage hooked up to know the temp...I don't think knowing the temp is too much farkling.
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #7971
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 943
Quote:

When mine was rebuilt the shop pointed out that my head was warrped, he attributed it toward ovetheating. That was before temp gauge, now I have a gauge and a fan and turn it on when water temps are above 200 cause stat is open.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #7972
opcocrg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
rear fender bolts.....

After doing some more exploring on the XR I noticed that the cargo rack was missing the left mounting bolt that threads into the end of the sub-frame. I tried threading the bolt from the right side into it and discovered that the hole was never completely drilled out or tapped so I decided to remove the rear fender so I could finish tapping it and found that these three bolts are just spinning and I can't get them out. Anyone experience this and have a suggestion on how to fix it and get them out without cutting into the sub-frame?

opcocrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #7973
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
Ridgecrest?

Yeah, I think he said $5800 and might have a couple more.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #7974
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by opcocrg View Post
After doing some more exploring on the XR I noticed that the cargo rack was missing the left mounting bolt that threads into the end of the sub-frame. I tried threading the bolt from the right side into it and discovered that the hole was never completely drilled out or tapped so I decided to remove the rear fender so I could finish tapping it and found that these three bolts are just spinning and I can't get them out. Anyone experience this and have a suggestion on how to fix it and get them out without cutting into the sub-frame?

mate the easiest way to do that i found , is

use a small drill bit , drill right next to the bolt and use the drill bit to bite into the nut , it worked for me
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #7975
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I've taken my Utah Sport Cycle/Ricochet skidplate off for the last time. I'm so sick of having to dremel the bolts out because the allen heads strip only to turn around and bitch about having to line up six of the bracket clip things all while laying on my side under the bike.

Who makes a similar type of skid plate with good protection that bolts up to the stock mounting holes?

Also be looking for two (one beat up but functionally fine, one like new) of the Utah skidplates for sale in the flea market.
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:03 PM   #7976
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by opcocrg View Post

I drilled completely through and used bolts and lock nuts with washers and some sort of spacer thingy inside the hole. It has worked for me, and never again do you need to worry about seized bolts. I was a little worried that might weaken the frame, but nope, thats not really the weak part of our frames anyways.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM   #7977
brp2004
Orygun

Oddometer: 200
I've ran you Devol skidplate for five years without any problems. It bolts to the stock holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post
I've taken my Utah Sport Cycle/Ricochet skidplate off for the last time. I'm so sick of having to dremel the bolts out because the allen heads strip only to turn around and bitch about having to line up six of the bracket clip things all while laying on my side under the bike.

Who makes a similar type of skid plate with good protection that bolts up to the stock mounting holes?

Also be looking for two (one beat up but functionally fine, one like new) of the Utah skidplates for sale in the flea market.
brp2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #7978
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp2004 View Post
I've ran you Devol skidplate for five years without any problems. It bolts to the stock holes.
Do you have any pictures? Their website has to show a stock skidplate type of picture because I don't think you'd ever be able to change the oil without taking it off.
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #7979
modette
RMAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44 View Post
Do you have any pictures? Their website has to show a stock skidplate type of picture because I don't think you'd ever be able to change the oil without taking it off.
This
Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #7980
Coastie3202
King of the Mountain

Oddometer: 828
How far to raise forks

I have heard that sliding the forks up in the triple tree helps with turning, and I know that that is correct because I have done it on other bikes.

How far up have you folks slid your forks? I am 0.3 cm up right now, which puts the fork cap seam right at the top of the triple tree.

Look forward to hearing what ya'll are doing.
Photobucket