Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #8281
onlead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlead View Post
Hey guys,

I am interested in the deal that Highway Dirt Bikes is offering:

I am not able to verify the stock 650r top clamp (it's a long story ), so I am hoping that one of you either has one or can verify that this one would work:

XR
1 1/8" bars
100x38/40mm

from this posting:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...59&postcount=7

Thanks!
I guess I didn't think this posting out to well...

I have the 7/8" bars now but want to move to 1 1/8". What would I need from HDB or someone else to do this?
onlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #8282
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Anyone have a 11kg shock spring they'd like to get rid of?
If so, shoot me a PM. I"m in the market for one.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #8283
Mackan
Player 1

Oddometer: 9
Lights out!

I was out riding the other day and all of a sudden, the lights went out. The bike still runs like a dream but with no lights or turn signals. Where should i start troubleshooting?

Had a go (almost) at it today but as you can see, something else required all my attention :)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4341382_n.jpg
Mackan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #8284
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,356
Quote:

I have the 7/8" bars now but want to move to 1 1/8". What would I need from HDB or someone else to do this?

Do you want to run a steering stabilizer?

A direct answer to your above question is: from HDB, lower handle bar clamps and their top clamp (below is the top part of this set up)...If you run a S/S then it's different.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #8285
JIPPERR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Just confirming these are spring preload adjustments?

There are also measurements of max and min length of the spring. They do sag over time and have a "wear" limit.

I didn't get around to looking at my eibach spring installation page. I'll see if i can do that tonight.
check these out, not such a wiz with inserting pics yet but this should get the job done.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1058672...77471179616354

https://picasaweb.google.com/1058672...76430037998082

(i figured it out)

JIPPERR screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 03:32 PM
JIPPERR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #8286
JIPPERR
Adventurer

Since we've got posting pitures figured out

took this only a year ago....so much has been changed on it since! i'll try to get a current picture together of 'the beast' lol
Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #8287
SwampFox89
Old Skool

Oddometer: 47
Looking at getting a set of Shinko 700's for my piggy. Was wonderin what size you guys recommend for a rear. I will be running tubes either way.

4.60-18
or
5.10-18
or
130/80-18 TL
Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #8288
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDreamin View Post
check these out, not such a wiz with inserting pics yet but this should get the job done.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1058672...77471179616354

https://picasaweb.google.com/1058672...76430037998082

(i figured it out)

Nice looking ride.

So yea, it's confirmed that they don't suggest or recommend shortening the spring much more then .54in. Longest (preload is required) is 244mm and if you spring measures less than 240 free length it should be replaced.

Good work. That's why I called caution on the one posted before when it's clamped down the threads to the degree it was. I know from installing mine that I was no where near the end of the threads.

Quote:

The other alternative is simply to add spacers. Tusk makes a cheap solution ($24), or you can get something like ROX which are around $90. I have the Rox 1 and 1.5 and like them. Being 6'4" I wouldn't mind them a little higher, so I bought some CR Highbends yet to install. Just make sure to get the standard (7/8) to 1 1/8" risers.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #8289
onlead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe View Post
Do you want to run a steering stabilizer?

A direct answer to your above question is: from HDB, lower handle bar clamps and their top clamp (below is the top part of this set up)...If you run a S/S then it's different.

[sweet pics deleted]
Sweet setup, Jim! Currently I'm not using a steering stabilizer (though apparently everyone else does - I'm not too bright). So one last question: For the HDB lower clamps do I need the 10mm or 12mm bolt?

I guess by now you are wondering why don't I just go and look? I broke my leg Jan 29th, bought my XRR without being able to test ride it and it is sitting in a van that I can't get into or unload for a while. I'm just trying to get some parts lined up for when I can start my build. I'm also in process of procuring a TM40, stator rebuild, and 7" race light.

I do appreciate your help.
onlead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #8290
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,356
I don't know bolt size. I'd think they would reuse the stock one? I have BRP triple clamps and lower risers...with HDB as the cherry on top.

You have a broken leg...and you bought a XRR...I like your style.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #8291
JIPPERR
Adventurer

Quote:
Nice looking ride.

So yea, it's confirmed that they don't suggest or recommend shortening the spring much more then .54in. Longest (preload is required) is 244mm and if you spring measures less than 240 free length it should be replaced.

Good work. That's why I called caution on the one posted before when it's clamped down the threads to the degree it was. I know from installing mine that I was no where near the end of the threads..
case closed

Quote:
The other alternative is simply to add spacers. Tusk makes a cheap solution ($24), or you can get something like ROX which are around $90. I have the Rox 1 and 1.5 and like them. Being 6'4" I wouldn't mind them a little higher, so I bought some CR Highbends yet to install. Just make sure to get the standard (7/8) to 1 1/8" risers.
i had the 2" ROX risers, they're pretty nice. I managed to bend them in a wee spill. That said they probably kept my bars from getting mangled since they can rotate they absorb that sort of thing to a degree.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #8292
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:

Good work. That's why I called caution on the one posted before when it's clamped down the threads to the degree it was. I know from installing mine that I was no where near the end of the threads.
Yeah, I'm the guy that screwed mine all the way down, which was about an inch. I am going to readjust and screw them back up half an inch and then I will be within spec allowed adjustments.

On another note.....I headed down to the DMV yesterday. I was armed with proof of insurance, signed over title (from the purchase) and the doc from the Department of Public Safety, stating that the bike was street legal. It was a piece of cake. $76 later.....I had a plate.

I was a good boy, purchasing mirrors so that I am 'more legal'. I don't suppose I will ever be completely....100% legal as I don't have a horn. And....don't plan to get one.

Here are the mirrors. I love them....they are MSR's. The one's that can twist around and tuck away while riding dirt. Awesome!!!!

I also got the Rox Risers installed....and splurged on a ProTaper Bar.

Finally, I received the Tanker Brace today. I promptly installed it. It was a piece of cake....probably 10 minutes. Now, the bottom of the tank is incredibly solid.

My biggest problem will be.......Keeping my son off the bike.....where I can ride it.

2003 KTM 450 EXC
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com

Big_John screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 07:08 PM
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #8293
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
that's lookin' really good so far, john.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:21 PM   #8294
Sean-0
straya carnt

Oddometer: 4,436
Great looking bike there John , but what xr aint

mate where you get the mirrors got a link , how do you rate them , do the vib much can you see stuff
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #8295
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkfinger View Post
Did you soak the new plates?
Before you start takin the clutch completely apart, Id give another look
at those chain and sprockets. The xr650l front sprockets will
fit on a 650r nicely, yet be offset the thickness of the sprocket,
which puts the chain over enough to grab stuff.
Chains sometimes get a kink in em ya just cant get out also,
Doesnt happen often but.....

Tony
No I forgot to soak the plates. I hope that isn't the problem, as I have already put about 200 miles or so on it since then. Had some issues with school and needed to clear my head a bit so rode it anyway.

I'm 99% sure its not the chain/sprockets. I have a brand new regina o-ring and trailtricks sprockets on it. They probably have 300 miles max. I have a new chain guide on order and it may be my old crappy chain guide, but I doubt it.

I'm baffled, in about a month I will have time to tear the right side down far enough to really check things out. It started doing that a year ago but only once a month-ish. I had a sprocket bolt on my supermoto wheel come loose in mexican traffic, the bolt hung up on the swingarm and I dumped the clutch to get it moving so I wouldn't get run over. I'm hoping I didn't do major damage, but its something that is definetly getting worse. I'm betting on a bent shaft or a broken basket honestly.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote