Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #9076
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblah View Post
I guess we don't have modern pump gas in new Mexico.
I guess we don't have it in southern utah or nevada either.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #9077
kan3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Recently tossed a hsr42 on my 680r and thought I'd putting the jetting info here. I know the hsr42/tm42 isn't as popular as the tm40 for the 650r but the hsr42 is a much more popular carb for harleys. This leads more used carbs being available than the tm40.

Bike Info:
680 BB
Opened intake
Stage 2 cam
Full open exhaust

I tuned my bike with an A/F gauge at 500ft and 70F. These numbers should be a good starting point for someone looking to try this carb.

130 Main
8DDY-96 #2 clip
Y6 Needle Jet
20 Pilot
Air Screw 1.5T Out
#50 Pump Nozzle

kan3 screwed with this post 07-08-2011 at 02:28 PM
kan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #9078
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Had a mixed day in the shop. I cleaned the plug, and that has (or something has) helped reduce the back firing. Unfortunately, the fuel screw resisted all my charms of persuasion, and I ended up stripping the head. But on the plus side, I was able to get the chain adjustment bolts unstuck, coated them with anti-seize and adjusted my chain. I also got my doubletake mirrors in the mail yesterday, and they seem bombproof!

So in honor of being-able-to-see-if-I'm-getting-pulled-over, I went for a good 3 hour ride, and stopped by to visit my dad.
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:22 AM   #9079
kan3
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofargogo View Post
Had a mixed day in the shop. I cleaned the plug, and that has (or something has) helped reduce the back firing
Backfiring is more often than not caused by a leaky exhaust. Do you have stock or aftermarket?
Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 AM   #9080
V-rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Partially true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
If you are using modern pump gas your plug will have virtually no color. Color of the plug is a very poor way of tuning anymore.If you do have good color then you have other problems.
I do agree that reading the plug color is not a very good way to judge the air-fuel mixture. But sometimes that's all a guy can do. An A/F meter is a much better way to go.

If the xr650r had a closed loop fuel injection system then the plug would have less deposits on it. It would run closer to Stoich at low engine speeds and keep the plug cleaner. However, with a carb, you are going to get stuff on the plug insulator because of the imprecise air-fuel mixture control.

I have a TM40 on my XRR and have tweaked it pretty good. It runs sweet and gives me 55mpg around town. Because it runs so nice, I haven't bothered putting my AFX A/F meter on it.

It runs good, but my plug still gets some carbon on it after a while (carbon from fuel - not oil - the bike doesn't use any oil). It would most likely stay cleaner if I wasn't putting around town so much. The firing end insulator has to get above ~450C before the carbon starts to burn off - which would happen if I ran it wide open more.
V-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 AM   #9081
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the post. I am building a 680 right now and a new carb is the next on the list. So is the hsr42 a drop in kind of replacement? And how does it work on angles?

Is the tuning as labor intensive as the TM40? And is the TM40 really that much work as people make it sound?

It is nice to have more options, the only thing I don't like about the Edelbrock is having to get it bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
Recently tossed a hsr42 on my 680r and thought I'd putting the jetting info here. I know the hsr42/tm42 isn't as popular as the tm40 for the 650r but the hsr42 is a much more popular carb for harleys. This leads more used carbs being available than the tm40.

Bike Info:
680 BB
Opened intake
Stage 2 cam
Full open exhaust

I tuned my bike with an A/F gauge at 500ft and 70F. These numbers should be a good starting point for someone looking to try this carb.

130 Main
8DDY-96 #2 clip with spacer on top
Y6 Needle Jet
22.5 Pilot
Air Screw 1.5T Out
#50 Pump Nozzle
Old 06-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #9082
kan3
Adventurer

The hsr42 needs the pull cable shortened by about 1". It also needs an adapter for the airbox but not the intake boot. I bought an adapter for the tm40 from sudco and used rubber pipe strap to attach it to the carb. Worked out rather well in the end.

I've had no issues with the float at lean angle but I haven't dropped it so can not comment on flooding. I don't think the hsr42 or tm40 are hard to tune as long as you have a decent starting point. There is plenty of information out there for the tm40 and just following that will get you close enough for most people. The information I'm posting on the hsr42 was done with an A/F gauge so it's relevant enough to be a starting point for people as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #9083
pman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post

Is the tuning as labor intensive as the TM40? And is the TM40 really that much work as people make it sound?
Thanks to everyone here, tuning my TM40 was a piece of cake. The only issue I had is that there was a burr in the hole for the pilot yet that kept crushing pilots until I removed it.
2000 YZ 125 and 2007 KTM 990 Adventurer S
Member of: GLDS, NOMADS, AMA
pman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #9084
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Quick question. I am having to replace the whole top end of the motor. I am looking at a Stage 2 cam but was told that it may interfere with the piston due the increased lift. I MAY need to replace the piston. What combo will work with the Stage 2 cam? Will it work the stock piston?

Sorry for the n00b questions.
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:56 PM   #9085
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Does anyone have a solution for a longer shift lever for the XRR? My feet are a little on the large size (15), but I can't find any shift lever longer than stock.
I have an extended shift tip from these guys, works great!

http://www.hdmoto.com

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #9086
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
Quick question. I am having to replace the whole top end of the motor. I am looking at a Stage 2 cam but was told that it may interfere with the piston due the increased lift. I MAY need to replace the piston. What combo will work with the Stage 2 cam? Will it work the stock piston?

Sorry for the n00b questions.
The only way to build a modified motor properly is to measure all clearances on the way back together. A stage 2 won't normally hit a stock piston, but its worth checking to be sure imo. If clearances are insufficient the solution is generally to relieve the valve pockets in the piston.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:32 AM   #9087
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The only way to build a modified motor properly is to measure all clearances on the way back together. A stage 2 won't normally hit a stock piston, but its worth checking to be sure imo. If clearances are insufficient the solution is generally to relieve the valve pockets in the piston.

I thought maybe I'd luck out and someone would know for sure. Thanks for the reply!

IN NEED OF SOME PARTS!!!!

I need a set of rocker arms that are not completely FAWKED! Mine are gone. Need a whole set of 3. Also looking for a cam if anyone has a HotCam laying around for sale.
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #9088
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Call XRsonly, they should be able to tell you about the valvle clearance issue and you might want to consider doing the valves while you are in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
I thought maybe I'd luck out and someone would know for sure. Thanks for the reply!

IN NEED OF SOME PARTS!!!!

I need a set of rocker arms that are not completely FAWKED! Mine are gone. Need a whole set of 3. Also looking for a cam if anyone has a HotCam laying around for sale.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #9089
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofargogo View Post
Ah! I enjoyed your rebuild thread while I was hunting for my bike. Do you still have a drilled side panel? I'm trying to decide if I should do the same.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. That bike needs a rebuild again so the thread will get bumped back up soon.

Yep still have a drilled side panel. I have a hacked up exhaust and a uni filter too. So that may make my jetting slightly different than whatever you are running.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #9090
gofargogo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
The backfiring and hard starting problems seem to have diminished. I think a combination of fresh gas (the bike has been sitting for X months), better kicking technique and a cleaned plug mostly solved my problems.

Now I just need to easyout (or something) my fuel screw, and start figuring out my electrical upgrades.
gofargogo is offline   Reply With Quote