Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #9271
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb5999 View Post
My bike was sitting for months.

With less time than money on my hands, right now, I dropped it off at a local shop, trusted guy, for valve job and new pipe. Getting ready for a 4 day dual sport ride, which starts in about 10 days. Bike is running great, except it overflows gas like crazy.

So now I have this dreaded fuel overflow problem, that appears throughout this thread and all over Thumper Talk.

I have torn the carb down four times, replaced gaskets, replaced the float valve (torpedo thing with rubber tip) and tweaked the float lever up a bit, with 0 luck. Carb is clean, clean, clean.

I just ordered a clymer's manual, so I can follow their adjust float instructions, step by step.

I am stumped, the gas just flows.

In reviewing others explanations of a similar problem, people mention the "seat" for the float valve (torpedo thing).

Can someone point this part out to me on a carb schematic or post a pic of one?

I am suspicious that the valve might not be setting correctly, to cut off fuel flow, because something is actually missing from the carb.

Thanks!

eric
prob stating the obvious but to help diagnose the problem...put the carb on without the bowl but float assembled. then holding the float up (in the off position) turn on the fuel...obviously there should be no flow, but be ready to catch it or turn it off if there is.

If it doesn't stop the flow you know that either the float is mounted wrong and not closing the valve enough, The tab on the float is bent the wrong way. (you bend the tab to adjust float hight right) or the valve is hanging and not closing or not sealing.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #9272
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I use a piece of fuel tube on the inlet and blow in it while tilting the carb and working the float to make sure it is sealing. DO you have the service manual? That carb is pretty simple, I have never refered to a manual except for the float level. I can't remember what it is off hand but some googling should find it easily enough.

I had the same thing happen and it was just garbage in the fuel.
The float level should be 18mm, as I recall.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #9273
bb5999
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
thanks all,

for the great input. I hadn't thought about the float getting hung up on the baffle, of which mine, appears to be kind of beat up, but after close inspection, that's not it.

Tomorrow night, I plan on getting dirty with it, again. Will let you all know what I find.

What about the float valve seat? I have seen many references to this seat, but am unsure as to what the actual part is. Any input on what part it actually is, or a photo?

Is that round gold part, on the right side, the seat? Or, is there something else, that sits within that part?

thx!

-cake

Gringo in Reno, NV
bb5999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:15 PM   #9274
opcocrg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb5999 View Post
for the great input. I hadn't thought about the float getting hung up on the baffle, of which mine, appears to be kind of beat up, but after close inspection, that's not it.

Tomorrow night, I plan on getting dirty with it, again. Will let you all know what I find.

What about the float valve seat? I have seen many references to this seat, but am unsure as to what the actual part is. Any input on what part it actually is, or a photo?

Is that round gold part, on the right side, the seat? Or, is there something else, that sits within that part?

thx!
The part on the right your talking about is were the "float valve" "seats itself when the bowl fills and the float rises.......
Old 07-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #9275
opcocrg
Gnarly Adventurer

Well.......the pig finally kicked me in the balls tonight. I needed to go pick up some $$$ from a guy who didn't pay me for a side job I did a few weeks ago so I called up a buddy to see if he wanted to take his new DRZ out for some gravel road hooliganism on the way out there but he couldn't go so I went off on my own. I left the house and started my 15 mile all gravel road ride without any problems. I was having a good time until I got to the last stop sign about 2 miles from this guys house when the pig died and I coasted to a stop. The 2 or 3 times this has happened in the past the bike always re-started on the first kick and didn't give me any other problems. Tonight....that wasn't the case. I kicked that thing for 5 min until I was good and pissed off and thoroughly soaked in sweat (leather jacket, full face helmet and the Missouri mid summer humidity ). I guess I fiddled with the choke and the idle adjustment screw enough that it finally started and idled so I rode the rest of the way to this guys house. As I got to the beginning of his driveway the bike died again. I tried once again to get it started but this time it just wouldn't start so I left it sitting by the road and I made the 150 meter walk up the guys gravel driveway to get my $$$. By now I've lost about a liter of sweat and I'm in a shitty mood. I politely collect my $$$ and make my way back down the driveway (in the dark now) to the 300 pound paper weight I'm going to have to push home. The guy offered to let me put it in his barn till tomorrow but I didn't want to hassle with that and told him I wanted to try and get it running and I would just call a friend to come get me if I couldn't. I got back to the bike and kicked on it for a few minutes and got nothing. I cranked the idle adjustment screw up damn near all the way and it finally fired up and idled. I took off and started down the road and it sounded like I had the throttle pinned wide open so I reached down and turned the adjustment screw back down and it died. I pulled over and tried starting it again with no luck. Now it starts to rain, it's muggy as hell and I'm sitting on the side of a gravel road in the dark, in the country with no lights and a dead bike and I'm really getting angry. I cranked the idle adjuster way up and again it finally starts and i take off. But just like before, every time I pulled the clutch in to shift it sounded like the throttle was wide open but I wasn't going to stop this time till I got home. I rode the rest of the way home on the blacktop instead of the backroads and when I got into town I never stopped for a single traffic light or sign. I've been having an issue with a "hanging throttle" lately so the carb has been off and cleaned and it's been tinkered on a few times in the last week or so while trying to diagnose the problem but it's never not started like this and I've always been able to "blip" the throttle to make the "hanging" stop. Also, I've never had to crank the idle adjustment scew up so much. I'm not really sure where to go from here.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #9276
atreiou
XR 650R Rider

Oddometer: 55
a week end over 10.000ft in Italy

for who want, more pics here
http://www.xr-italia.com/forumxr/ind...?topic=39405.0
atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #9277
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Don't buy the less expensive chain.

So I was excited to finally get the parts to start putting my motor back together after a chain break took out my crank case.
Everything went back together smoothly and without a problem, until I started turning the gears and noticed a wobble in my counter shaft. WTF!
How can a chain break screw up so much stuff?
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #9278
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
So I was excited to finally get the parts to start putting my motor back together after a chain break took out my crank case.
Everything went back together smoothly and without a problem, until I started turning the gears and noticed a wobble in my counter shaft. WTF!
How can a chain break screw up so much stuff?

Dammit, that sucks!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #9279
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by opcocrg View Post
I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Sounds a lot like what I did to my 2002. I'd been swapping main jets and checking against my butt dyno on the way to work. She started flaming out like that and I found that my emulsifier tube was loose from all my main jet changing, but it never fell out of the plug on the bottom because the baffle bell thing keeps it from falling out of the bowl when you take the plug out to swap the main.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #9280
KYLEISCOOL
Who

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Well.......the pig finally kicked me in the balls tonight. I needed to go pick up some $$$ from a guy who didn't pay me for a side job I did a few weeks ago so I called up a buddy to see if he wanted to take his new DRZ out for some gravel road hooliganism on the way out there but he couldn't go so I went off on my own. I left the house and started my 15 mile all gravel road ride without any problems. I was having a good time until I got to the last stop sign about 2 miles from this guys house when the pig died and I coasted to a stop. The 2 or 3 times this has happened in the past the bike always re-started on the first kick and didn't give me any other problems. Tonight....that wasn't the case. I kicked that thing for 5 min until I was good and pissed off and thoroughly soaked in sweat (leather jacket, full face helmet and the Missouri mid summer humidity ). I guess I fiddled with the choke and the idle adjustment screw enough that it finally started and idled so I rode the rest of the way to this guys house. As I got to the beginning of his driveway the bike died again. I tried once again to get it started but this time it just wouldn't start so I left it sitting by the road and I made the 150 meter walk up the guys gravel driveway to get my $$$. By now I've lost about a liter of sweat and I'm in a shitty mood. I politely collect my $$$ and make my way back down the driveway (in the dark now) to the 300 pound paper weight I'm going to have to push home. The guy offered to let me put it in his barn till tomorrow but I didn't want to hassle with that and told him I wanted to try and get it running and I would just call a friend to come get me if I couldn't. I got back to the bike and kicked on it for a few minutes and got nothing. I cranked the idle adjustment screw up damn near all the way and it finally fired up and idled. I took off and started down the road and it sounded like I had the throttle pinned wide open so I reached down and turned the adjustment screw back down and it died. I pulled over and tried starting it again with no luck. Now it starts to rain, it's muggy as hell and I'm sitting on the side of a gravel road in the dark, in the country with no lights and a dead bike and I'm really getting angry. I cranked the idle adjuster way up and again it finally starts and i take off. But just like before, every time I pulled the clutch in to shift it sounded like the throttle was wide open but I wasn't going to stop this time till I got home. I rode the rest of the way home on the blacktop instead of the backroads and when I got into town I never stopped for a single traffic light or sign. I've been having an issue with a "hanging throttle" lately so the carb has been off and cleaned and it's been tinkered on a few times in the last week or so while trying to diagnose the problem but it's never not started like this and I've always been able to "blip" the throttle to make the "hanging" stop. Also, I've never had to crank the idle adjustment scew up so much. I'm not really sure where to go from here.
I had a hanging throttle every once in a while and I did a valve adjustment and now I havent had the hang up since. Not sure if this is your case but worth a try. My intake valves were on the tight side. exhaust was fine.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #9281
KYLEISCOOL
Who

Oddometer: 131
xr650r rear spoke set

Im looking for a set of rear spokes for my 650r. If someone has a set that they dont need Pm me.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #9282
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
shoot me, now.

Edit 2: after eating some food and snugging a nut on the primary, I only get about .03mm run out.

crypto666 screwed with this post 07-13-2011 at 09:51 PM
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #9283
RallyMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Ah!!
XRsO have not yet answered. If they won't then I'll take the trouble to stay up & phone them (my eve is your morning).
Meantime, would you mind to tell - try to - what precisely you mean with "the wrong moment"?
Here's why. The 'auto-decomp' is active when rotating forward, under a certain (low) rev-ceiling etc etc, and this bit I actually value zero. I know how to kick it, better still, that auto-system I sometimes curse because it does too much.
But - it also, crucially (according to me, and typically Honda-clever I'll admit), will immediately engage when it reverses direction, and lift a valve so as to 'bleed' any compression - a back-kicking powerstroke! Hence my tender bones will survive THIS bit I want to keep, and there can't be a 'wrong moment' like you say.
I've got a fair idea how it works, have seen some exploded views, but have not yet opened it up. Of course I will (have to), but if you're able to elaborate somewhat then such will be appreciated.
You got yer answer from XRO by now, but it just looked like it would engage "longer" in the cam rotation and blow everything out the exhaust instead of allowing "contained" combustion. I just mocked it up for a few seconds late at night, so I could have been way off. I didn't put too much effort into it since XRO had already told me it couldn't be fitted.

I wonder if you use the stock decomp mechanism on the real HRC cam since it still retains the feature, or if there is a new one?
RallyMoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #9284
opcocrg
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLEISCOOL View Post
I had a hanging throttle every once in a while and I did a valve adjustment and now I havent had the hang up since. Not sure if this is your case but worth a try. My intake valves were on the tight side. exhaust was fine.
I just did a check and adjust last week hoping it might clear it up but after I was done it rode the same, sounded the same and felt the same as it did before the adjust. I don't think we did it wrong but it was both mine and a buddies first time doing an adjustment so who knows. Due to the fact I rode it several times in the last few days without a problem I tend to believe we didn't mess anything up. What has me confused is when I went out there tonight to try and see if I could get it started............for some reason it started on the first kick and seemed to run fine in the garage. I didn't take it for a ride but sitting in the garage it seemed to be back to normal.

Here's a question for anyone who might know:

Could humidity have anything at all to do with how it runs from one day to the next? My girlfriends street bike is carbureted and it seems to runs fine whether it's humid or not so I wouldn't think it has an effect but I haven't got a clue.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:23 PM   #9285
dirtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Here's a question for anyone who might know:

Could humidity have anything at all to do with how it runs from one day to the next? My girlfriends street bike is carbureted and it seems to runs fine whether it's humid or not so I wouldn't think it has an effect but I haven't got a clue.
actually yes it can, but most the time things run better with a bit of humidity. my ninja 250 actually ran quite a bit different(better) when it was humid as hell
dirtard is offline   Reply With Quote