so much fun

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 07-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #9407
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by opcocrg View Post
I took it completely apart, cleaned everything, put it all back together and it started on the first kick (after adjusting the throttle stop knob back where it needed to be) and it ran better than it has months. No more hanging idle, no dying, and first kick starts all evening.
Shit happens, good job finding the culprit.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #9408
jm-2008
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
man up or sell it

BTW: Like you, I weight a whopping 155 for someone our size, riding the BRP in technical stuff will definately test your stamina and make you man up or sell it

'sell it'
No blasphemy here pleeze!
jm-2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #9409
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,270
Jaronimo , great vid mate , your pig is running sweet , love the sand riding , where i live its a bit hard to find that stuff
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #9410
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
'sell it'
No blasphemy here pleeze![/QUOTE]

Lots of low hr. XRRs out there because the owner couldn't man up enough. That includes being "skeerd" of the power

I got mine from just such a person. He actually half attempted to talk me out of buying it.

I told him I'd take my chances

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #9411
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronp1264 View Post
OK I killed my bike going up a road construction side hill (the road is being done going up a hill and there was a steep-as-shit dozer path going up the hill) for the second time, made it just fine the first. Washed out right towards the crest of the hill and I couldn't keep it running as I laid it over. So I had to back my bike down the hill and almost died of exhaustion. I'm 150 lbs and have owned this XR for a month and half.

So at the bottom I kick it over and I read the other night that the best way to start a flooded 650 was to turn the gas off and hold the throttle open.

BAM.

Loud noise and fire.

I look down and there's a small flame at the end of one of the vent tubes on the underside of my bike. I kick the flame out.

At this point I wonder if I just ruined the bike. Next kick over it starts right up and I quickly put my helmet on and pull away. Rides perfectly normal the 30 minute ride home.

Has anyone experienced this before and was this the sonic boom of flooded xr650s?

fucking awesome construction site though, seriously it felt like finding a level from excite bike 64
Pull your airfilter out and take alook at the back side of it. Pretty likely it was melted. Might want to replace it.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #9412
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
'sell it'
No blasphemy here pleeze!

Lots of low hr. XRRs out there because the owner couldn't man up enough. That includes being "skeerd" of the power

I got mine from just such a person. He actually half attempted to talk me out of buying it.

I told him I'd take my chances

I got mine from a guy who's wife was pregnent and needed to sell it (he bought it from a kid who was scared). So I bought it, then my girlfriend got pregnent. Luckily it didn't work out and I still got the bike. I told the guy what happened, he said it is because the bike gives us big balls.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #9413
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Beware of strange noises.

Well I had never held an ear up to my xrr motor while revving it until I rebuilt it. So I just thought I would share my experience with my newly rebuilt motor, the used Edelbrock pumper I put on it and what happens when you listen too closely.
During the first couple break-in runs I found the carb to be on the lean side, so I turned the fuel up. Then it went rich, very rich. The plug was coming out covered with soot. I wondered WTF; I didn’t turn it more than half a turn rich. So I turn the screw to lean it, and I turned it again, and again, and it still rich. Plus the only way to get it to start is to do the hot-start procedure, which I don’t care for on a new engine. So I sat there doing what I felt like was damage to my new engine for about two hours or more. I also notice some chatter coming from the motor when I revved it up; it wasn’t bad but made me very concerned. So I thought maybe my valves need adjusting and perhaps I should check the timing chain. I pulled the valve cover and everything looked fine; re-torqued the head and put it back together. I tried to run it and the still the same thing. So I pulled the top off the carb and found my problem; the adjuster body backed out of the slide; it was at full rich. So I fixed that and set the adjuster screw to the mid-point. After a couple runs I had the carb dialed in. However I still had this random clanging sound when I revved it. I pulled the magnetic drain plug and found a few chips. I thought “oh great, a new motor and now my tranny is screwed.” I was so pissed I said to hell with it, threw my ratchet across the shop, and took it for a test ride and rechecked for metal chips and found nothing new. Then I decided to lube the drive chain and take it for a longer ride. While doing so I noticed a clunking sound while I turned the rear wheel by hand. After scratching my head for 5 minutes or so, I realized what the sound was. It was the damn dogs on the gears bumping against their engagement holes. Because the bike was sitting slightly tilted on the kick-stand the gears were sliding to one side and making that noise; perfectly normal, unlike my mental state.
I took it for its first high power test ride and this thing pulls like no other. The response is awesome, no flat spots. I was only on gravel road and couldn’t get any traction, so I can’t wait to get some new rubber and get it in some good dirt, or even pavement to see what this thing will do. I am imagining the front wheel will spend more time off the ground than on. This thing rocks.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #9414
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Rrrrrrrigth, so oot the window goes my patience now
I'm waiting for almost same parts to be sent, and normally I'm a patient chap
Good on you Crypto, have fun!

Got my bike off a trader who had put an open silencer on a new bike & had opened the intake rubber, I presume in an attempt to "de-cork" it. Yeah, a disappointing ride, so he sold it.... to me as it turned out. No, he can't buy it back if he wants to ;)
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #9415
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Let's beat the Dead Horse "stator/lighting question" again.......

What are the real wattage numbers on the output of a stock stator? I am seeing estimations from 65 to 95 watts on a stock stator. I ask because after the other night's single track thru the trees in the dark with a candle for a headlight, I am adding 2 35w HID lights and a battery.

I think I can get away with running the stock stator to charge the battery and run the HID's for several hours without losing too much power from the battery. Basically The power from the stator should run the lights and the battery will take the excess voltage. In the worst case, the HID's will be discharging the battery at about 3 amps, maybe less. Each HID draws 35w and 3.2 amps when warmed up(more at start up) but more then likely I will only be using 1 HID at a time. This is why I am trying to use the stock stator instead of a rewound stator since I am only drawing around 85-100 watts with ALL my lights going.

Input anyone? Rewind or stock? I will be using a Ricky Stator reg/rec. Thanks guys
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #9416
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

I would rewind my stator using high quality wire from gobrushless.com. I would then use the 55w HID bulbs and digital ballasts ($25/set) from ddmtuing.com in a housing of my choice, preferably something cheap. I converted one of my 100w PIAA halogens to HID and it works well because the glass lens is what controls the light pattern, not the reflector.

I would also be posting this in the xrr electrical thread,

You could do all this for not much more than $100-$150 and a few hours time.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #9417
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post

Shit, I thought this was the thread that had all the XRR electics info. Thanks for the heads up and the advice.
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 PM   #9418
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Anyone here happen to be driving from Colorado towards North Carolina anytime soon? Looking on getting an XR this way so I can join in and stop lurking this thread.
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #9419
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I would rewind my stator using high quality wire from gobrushless.com. I would then use the 55w HID bulbs and digital ballasts ($25/set) from ddmtuing.com in a housing of my choice, preferably something cheap. I converted one of my 100w PIAA halogens to HID and it works well because the glass lens is what controls the light pattern, not the reflector.

You could do all this for not much more than $100-$150 and a few hours time.

I would also rewind the stator. Not much work, or cost and the outcome is 100% better. Remember you'll need a regulator / rectifier to handle the higher wattage and AC-DC conversion.

I run a 35 HID in my Trailtech 8" light and it's BRIGHT. I'm tempted to try the 55w.... I use a cap instead of a battery, and the only "issues" I have is if my turn my fan on at idle the HID dims for a second. Not great on the HID, but at 25$ treating them harshly isn't a huge issue. I carry the 50W halogen bulb just in case.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #9420
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,989
WTF? Page 3? Had to actually scroll to find thread.