User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #9481
brapp-alot-puss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
What type of oil?

I just spent a bunch of money rebuilding the top half of my XRR. I want to avoid having to deal with this again! What are some peoples thoughts on oil? I have heard some speak well of diesel engine oil, some like synthetic blends, some like full synthetic oil. I am wondering if people might tell me what they run and why they think it is the way to go? Thanks a bunch!
brapp-alot-puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 AM   #9482
atreiou
XR 650R Rider

Oddometer: 55
on my XRs I use full syntethic oil 10w-60, Elf competiton or Castrol RS Edge
somethimes I use 15w-50 full syntethic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp-alot-puss View Post
I just spent a bunch of money rebuilding the top half of my XRR. I want to avoid having to deal with this again! What are some peoples thoughts on oil? I have heard some speak well of diesel engine oil, some like synthetic blends, some like full synthetic oil. I am wondering if people might tell me what they run and why they think it is the way to go? Thanks a bunch!
atreiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 AM   #9483
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
I use 50% (Caltex) Delo or (Shell) Rimula X (both excellent multigrade diesel oils) mixed with Shell Helix Ultra (a full synthetic oil). All these oils fall within the prescribed oils or better them. And yes, you may mix engine oils.
The diesel oil cleans the engine well, and keep the dirt/soot afloat so that the filter can do its work.
The synthetic oil ensures me that there is oil everywhere when I start it as this oil adheres best to metal, it does not 'seek the sump' quite like a mineral does. Its VI-index (important for our gearbox) also is inherent to the oil rather than to a dope, and this means this oil will not be sheared to water over time like a cheap mineral will be.
None of these oils contains any friction-modifiers (like fuel-efficient oils do) and therefore the clutch will be able to do its work normally.

I will never use any Castrol products, not even for the padlock of my garden shed, but will only use oil from worldwide companies who employ entire villages with scientists to develop their oils. The funny thing is, these companies do not really advertise their products, they simply don't need to - food for thought I think
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 AM   #9484
GSXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
Normal cheap mineral oil. Change it every 1000 miles

People seem to love over-analyzing this one. Makes me laugh out loud.

I have ridden/raced my (3) XR650's as hard as i can over the years. 30,000+ miles each and running perfect all the way.

Std carby, exhaust, filter box, headlight etc every time.

Maybe I've been doing too much riding and not enough "research & modifying " over the years. My loss I guess.

Good luck with your decision, should you decide to accept the challenge.

Smithy.

Quote:
GSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:30 AM   #9485
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,864
re: oil.

keep it full, keep it fresh.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #9486
dirtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
aeroshell 20/50. yes airplane oil. why? cause i can and it scavenges the lead. oh btw i ONLY run 100LL avgas.
dirtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #9487
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
First off you have to get it broke in properly using a regular oil and get the rings seated. I followed this protocol; http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm

After about 1000-1500 miles I plan to go full synthetic.

Btw, this subject has been beat to death and comes down to opinions. I like the idea of the Delo and other diesel oils because it so readily available.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #9488
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Btw, this subject has been beat to death and comes down to opinions. I like the idea of the Delo and other diesel oils because it so readily available.

A little opinion and some experience...I've been around the diesel oils more than most as a fleet mechanic. The only trouble I've seen is when it comes to roller bearings. Drivers like to let her run going down big grades and it will take out cam bearings when they over rev it too much for too long.

Since the 80's I've run mostly Golden Spectro or Mobil 1 in all of my bikes, I tried Royal Purple once...something about it made the bike leak oil out of everywhere.

I got a KLR and wanted to fit in, like a cheap bastard I ran Delo 400 exclusively...never another kind of oil in that bike. Yup, lost a major roller bearing in the trans at 26,000 miles.

In 30 years of riding, the only bike I've grenaded was run only on Delo 400 oil. Yeah, it was a KLR and I have only heard of one other failure of that same bearing in another bike.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #9489
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Yeah, OK, too big.
This should work:

Dude, nice work.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #9490
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtard View Post
aeroshell 20/50. yes airplane oil. why? cause i can and it scavenges the lead. oh btw i ONLY run 100LL avgas.
Are you running a fixed pitch or constant speed prop on that?

I got lucky, I found a fuel stash in the desert yesterday. It belongs to Best in the Desert, Casey Folks, so I topped off my tank. I was hoping it was Sunoco or vp race fuel for my new motor, but it smelled like regular ol' pump. Should be atleast 91. He included a free t-shirt too. Thanks Casey! Hahahahaha.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #9491
dirtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Are you running a fixed pitch or constant speed prop on that?

I got lucky, I found a fuel stash in the desert yesterday. It belongs to Best in the Desert, Casey Folks, so I topped off my tank. I was hoping it was Sunoco or vp race fuel for my new motor, but it smelled like regular ol' pump. Should be atleast 91. He included a free t-shirt too. Thanks Casey! Hahahahaha.

its a fixed pitch . but seriously the aeroshell quited my motor down ALOT and has ran smoother since. oil FREE gas FREE its a win win. u just cant use any of the oils that say PLUS in the name like 100 PLUS, those contain friction modifiers and with destroy a wet clutch in a hurry.
dirtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #9492
skibootdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
motorex 10w-60

I rent big single offroad bikes (ktm, xrr, husky, beta, atk) after 1year rentals the motors have the same wear no matter what oil is used. if changed every 1000mi. from $2.25 wolfshead or$22.00 motorex.
skibootdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #9493
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,171
In ocean city? What do folks do with them around there?

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #9494
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Shell Rotella T, its JASO rated.

There is nothing manly about tassels.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #9495
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Rack Design

I think i have found a Honda XR650R to purchase , i have been wanting to delevop a front and rear rack for this bike for a while now, anybody know what the best design is sofar Thanks, mike
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote