Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #10351
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
About the shoes, I carry a pair of "kung fu" shoes (kind of a slipper with a hard rubber sole) I bought in Chinatown for $3. folded in half and taped, take up little space in the fender pack. If I break down and have a few hours walk to the truck, or the nearest town, I don't want to do that walk wearing riding boots.
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #10352
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,251
Shib, the high end DID stuff is well worth the cost. My heavily abused DID on the sport bike (rode year round - salt, snow, sand, etc, lubed it about every 3k miles) went 40k before I changed it and it still looked pretty good. Needed adjusting 3 times in those 40k miles. Spend the extra few bucks for a quality chain and leave the chain tools and spare links at home, you won't need them.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #10353
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 593
Sprockets and chain

When xr was new put Ironman sprockets and DID chain on.19,000 miles later and stuff is getting slightly worn.WD40 when wet otherwise never lubed.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #10354
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Shib, the high end DID stuff is well worth the cost. My heavily abused DID on the sport bike (rode year round - salt, snow, sand, etc, lubed it about every 3k miles) went 40k before I changed it and it still looked pretty good. Needed adjusting 3 times in those 40k miles. Spend the extra few bucks for a quality chain and leave the chain tools and spare links at home, you won't need them.
530 sportbike chain doesn't really compare to a dirtbike 520.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
When xr was new put Ironman sprockets and DID chain on.19,000 miles later and stuff is getting slightly worn.WD40 when wet otherwise never lubed.
This is where it's at.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #10355
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but I'm not sure you understand where I am. I'm not looking to ride around baja and southern states. I'm planning on living off my bike for 4-6+ months.

Hopefully you don't take me wrong, but I think I have no problem packing your way for 2-3 weeks, but after 4-5 I'd be wishing I had some of the items I have packed. After reaching mid/southern Mexico I might be shipping my camp gear back and just keeping my sleeping bag liner. I think it'll get most of it's use through AZ and Baja, then once hostels and cheap accomidations become available (and less distance between them) I'll resort to hosteling/cheap hoteling to save weight and space. That being said in these areas the riding will become easier too. I don't think my riding abilities will be the issue, but I do apprecaite a lighter bike and more importantly, simplicity.

Once again, thanks for all the info!

You are right, ultimately you are the one that knows what you need and what you do not. You know what you want, even if someone else says "No, you dont need that" or "I'll never taken mine with me" You are living off your bike for 4-6+ months and that is awesome. All this XRR adventuring talk is getting me very antsy to get on mine and start my RTW trip earlier then planned!

One thing to consider is the sub frame. Have you addressed that weakness? I am not going to talk you into any peice of hardware you want/have. There is a "small bike camping" thread in Equipment some place, that'd be a nice place to get ideas from for small, light weight camping equipment. Also, that 10.5KG spring is a little light, have you thought of upgrading it to an 11 or 11.5? I think that would help you more then trying to lose weight. A heavier spring and lighter equipment would both be nice. I have noticed that when packing my bike for a trip, if I pack the heavier stuff at the bottom on the bags and the lighter stuff on top, it obviously helps alot!

I thought I saw a total weight of all your bags but I cant seem to find it.....? That looks like too much stuff but is it too much weight? Sorry to keep hammering this topic to death but I am planning a 1+ year 100%(or atleast close to) off road RTW trip. 100,000 miles, no hotels, no hostels.....so I need the input as well as anyone
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #10356
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Except for the pines in the mountains, most of baja has no trees of any significance. I can't imagine how a hammock would be of use down there as I don't know what you'd tie it to. Sounds like just the ticket for wooded areas.
Although I didn't take my hammock to Baja, I wish I had. Every night as we were settin up camp, I made note of whether I could have used my hammock, and the answer was always YES.

95% of my camping is in the desert, and I can always find something to hang it from.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #10357
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
You are right, ultimately you are the one that knows what you need and what you do not. You know what you want, even if someone else says "No, you dont need that" or "I'll never taken mine with me" You are living off your bike for 4-6+ months and that is awesome. All this XRR adventuring talk is getting me very antsy to get on mine and start my RTW trip earlier then planned!

One thing to consider is the sub frame. Have you addressed that weakness? I am not going to talk you into any peice of hardware you want/have. There is a "small bike camping" thread in Equipment some place, that'd be a nice place to get ideas from for small, light weight camping equipment. Also, that 10.5KG spring is a little light, have you thought of upgrading it to an 11 or 11.5? I think that would help you more then trying to lose weight. A heavier spring and lighter equipment would both be nice. I have noticed that when packing my bike for a trip, if I pack the heavier stuff at the bottom on the bags and the lighter stuff on top, it obviously helps alot!

I thought I saw a total weight of all your bags but I cant seem to find it.....? That looks like too much stuff but is it too much weight? Sorry to keep hammering this topic to death but I am planning a 1+ year 100%(or atleast close to) off road RTW trip. 100,000 miles, no hotels, no hostels.....so I need the input as well as anyone
No total weight but will be posting shortly. I don't have a scale.

I just bought new MotionPro tire levers to lighten the load.

I have considered a 11 or 11.5 spring. I JUST changed out my shock after rebuilding it. That being said I could have a new one in there in no time. I have two 10.5's now since I bought my secondary shock for rebuild parts. The higher rated shock spring would make the front forks worse off too so I'm unease to make a big step in that direction. I might throw one on there to try it out though.

My subframe has been replaced with a steel subframe with intergrated rack made by a fellow inmate.

I do have all tubes and tools at the bottom of my Coyote bag and it does help. The tire irons will reduce the steering inputs the bag makes on the fender (as if the headlight, GPS, Spot doesn't already)...

I've been looking for lighter gear that won't cost me huge chunks of change. Under review is my camping gear and computer gear.

The shoes I have are the following:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwe...shoes-mens.jsp

The pad I want:

http://www.campers-village.com/store...ir-Mat-UL-7.5/

(Exped Ultra Light 7.4)

If any of you want ultra light shoes and open to the idea, the "barefoot" movement has some ultra light and compressible shoes made by Merrel and others (not the finger ones, but the trail glove model, etc)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #10358
Johnny55
Banned

Quote:

I have considered a 11 or 11.5 spring. I JUST changed out my shock after rebuilding it. That being said I could have a new one in there in no time. I have two 10.5's now since I bought my secondary shock for rebuild parts. The higher rated shock spring would make the front forks worse off too so I'm unease to make a big step in that direction. I might throw one on there to try it out though.

What front springs do you have? How much more preload can you go with on the rear? It looks like you are heading in the right direction tho. Excited to hear how all this works out for you!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #10359
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
What front springs do you have? How much more preload can you go with on the rear? It looks like you are heading in the right direction tho. Excited to hear how all this works out for you!
Cut and spaced front springs. Should be around .45kg
Rear shock is a 10.5 at max 15mm preload.

I have another set of forks available that might have aftermarket springs. I might have to take those apart to check them out =)
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #10360
Johnny55
Banned

Quote:
Cut and spaced front springs. Should be around .45kg
Rear shock is a 10.5 at max 15mm preload.

I have another set of forks available that might have aftermarket springs. I might have to take those apart to check them out =)

The right springs would make a huge difference too!! That might be better money spent then lightening up the load!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #10361
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,844
ok let me ask another way

has anybody ever bottomed out the rear tire Y or N
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #10362
Johnny55
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post

What size tire are you running? And what rear spring? What do you weigh? If your rear spring is too soft for your weight then you will be hard pressed not to bottom-out the shock. I am 180 with a 10.5 spring and i get tire marks on the pipe but that is it. Sounds like you are either an animal on that bike or the rear is setup wrong. Did you ever confirm if the rubber snubber is in there? It sets at the bottom of the shock shaft inside the spring. It is about 1.5" long and about 1" around. You can look down from the top side and see it. You dont have to dis-assemble any thing to see it.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #10363
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,492
Quote:
Just loose some weight Man , simple fix.

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #10364
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
haha i've stuffed my rear suspension almost every time i take the bike out. ( i need to respring it ) Its got the factory yellow spring in there now.

The first time i had it out in the open desert I was heading down a trail, got into an open section thats a known fast 2 foot woop section. I normally have no issues riding through this at 3rd or 4th gear at a good speed on my KX500 powered desert bike. I hit it in 3rd on the XR and about 2 woops in i knew i was in big trouble. It started stuffing that rear shock and getting generally pretty sad, i had to back outta the throttle.

I'm a bigger guy though, 6'1 200 lbs, so maybe you'll do better.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #10365
Johnny55
Banned

Quote:

Here is the snubber we are referring to. Sorry about the dirty bike.....no one loves her enough to give her a sponge bath!

Name:  IMG_2011.JPG
Views: 499
Size:  89.2 KB