User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #10351
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Stuff

Stainless oil filters--my two xrs have close to 60,000 miles with the stainless filters with no problems.Tubes- you need front and rear tubes as spares.If you put front in rear or rear in front they will chafe and in not to long you you will be putting another tube in anyways.Wrong tube is ok for an emergency but not for any distance. Why not do it right the first time? Extra chain-If you have extra chunks of chain you also need masterlinks to connect them. Also on your spare chunks of chain there is no use in the chunk ending with the sideplates-you will have to cut those off before you can use it so you might want to do that at home.Bib mouses are fine on the front or on smaller bikes but I have seen numerous failures on the rear on hot high speed rides.When that happens I never volunteer my spare tube, I always make them ask to rub it in a little!
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #10352
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
I've searched the interweb all night, and have turned up nothing. Anybody have any ideas? Trying to get this turd running, but kinda hard when it's impossible to kick. :horse

We can't help you anymore than what's been said, video your starting routine and we can help more.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #10353
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
I am not trying to be a hard-core riding dude, but only help you from my experience. Less is more. Travel light, travel fast, and you will make your destination in time to find an internet cafe, laundromat, cafe, and even a hostel if you want.

Travel heavy and travel slow, and you will have less fun, and likely find yourself stuck in situations where you need all your gear just to survive.

I understand where you are coming from, but I'm not sure you understand where I am. I'm not looking to ride around baja and southern states. I'm planning on living off my bike for 4-6+ months.

You must have the Fly Creek tent because it's the only tent Big Agnes makes thats lighter then mine. That being said it's lighter by a decent margin (weighs 2lb 2oz - 2person. About 1.75lb diff). The two person tents are the same or heavier. The Flycreek is lighter, but not a lot smaller which is fine with me. I will consider this tent for sure.

I've looked at mattresses available to me and the lightest locally is .78lbs for a full length. 1/2 length is the Prolite (same as mine but short) at .683lbs. Mine currently is 1.634lbs. I will probably pick up the full length as well as a lighter silk liner. My current is cotton and warm/larger/heavier. Unknown weight though.

I've considered a bivi sack and hammock. Problem is, how do I live out of a bivi sack or hammock for say 3-5 days when I get off the grid? What happens in a torrential tropical downpour? It would suck being in a bivi. There are downsides to every option.

As mentioned, looking at the big pictures, the salt flats in S.A and Baja lack trees, or anything to tie a hammock together so essentially it's a bivi... Bivi's are nice where it's dry and you are just sleeping, but terrible if you have to live in one for a day. Couldn't even read a book!

Sleeping under the stars is great.. till you get malaria. There's a downside to that theory..

As for tools, sure Baja, states and some other cities are no issues for tools, but once you get to southern Mexico, the XR650R becomes a rare beast. I'm no longer going to use a stainless filter and just bring two spare papers. When I use one, I'll replace the other when I can. Knowing it uses the same filter on any XR/XL bike was great info I learnt here!

I'm bringing a pump and might consider a few CO2 cannisters, but at the weight and size they aren't a great option. Beads seat with a little ride usually. I have a SPOT but don't consider it all that useful. In an emergency they may work but I wouldn't depend on it.

As for safety gear, once again, I may be hours away from medical help, or the help that comes may recycle needles. If I'm in an accident in say, Belize, I wouldn't mind having the option for the medical crew to use my safe needles if needed. Once again, not something you always carry, but when considering these areas may not be like local areas, I think it's a wise thing to carry. It weighs a few ounces only. Super light and not very large. My other bag is a bit heavier but has some much needed items and medication, etc.

Iphone/itouch, etc I guess is all up for debate. Really depends what you want to do. I'm fairly certain those entertaining us with their worldly travels aren't updating their posts with itouches. Nor are people like JediMaster showing off outstanding photography via an Ipod.

I've rode Baja with a coyote and it was cakewalk. IMO, I think I'm going to be venturing into much more uncharted territory and some personal comfort and back-up is desired, but not essential. It's my view of how I'd like to travel vs yours. I'm sure there are many people who side on both. I do appreciate the info on the extremes of the other side because it does give me things to think about, however I do know of certain things I'll need and want, like aquatic shoes. Not the lightest or smallest, but if I'm doing a hike through the jungle I'll be damn happy I'm not on flip-flops.

Hopefully you don't take me wrong, but I think I have no problem packing your way for 2-3 weeks, but after 4-5 I'd be wishing I had some of the items I have packed. After reaching mid/southern Mexico I might be shipping my camp gear back and just keeping my sleeping bag liner. I think it'll get most of it's use through AZ and Baja, then once hostels and cheap accomidations become available (and less distance between them) I'll resort to hosteling/cheap hoteling to save weight and space. That being said in these areas the riding will become easier too. I don't think my riding abilities will be the issue, but I do apprecaite a lighter bike and more importantly, simplicity.

For reference, when I was in Baja in Feb we were paying on average 30-40$/ double room. We weren't haggling and accepting the going rate but that's a good chunk into my finances. I hope to live off 35-50$ day average including gas.

I'll be testing my fully loaded rig on WhiteRim Trail. It'll be my first taste of mild offroad with the full gear. I don't know much of the trail but heard it's pretty easy. I might venture for some other rides to test it on more demanding stuff and make last minute decisions there. I can always give the gear back with my friends to take home and grab a bivi going through the states.

Once again, thanks for all the info!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! screwed with this post 09-30-2011 at 12:04 PM
Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #10354
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
Stainless oil filters--my two xrs have close to 60,000 miles with the stainless filters with no problems.Tubes- you need front and rear tubes as spares.If you put front in rear or rear in front they will chafe and in not to long you you will be putting another tube in anyways.Wrong tube is ok for an emergency but not for any distance. Why not do it right the first time? Extra chain-If you have extra chunks of chain you also need masterlinks to connect them. Also on your spare chunks of chain there is no use in the chunk ending with the sideplates-you will have to cut those off before you can use it so you might want to do that at home.Bib mouses are fine on the front or on smaller bikes but I have seen numerous failures on the rear on hot high speed rides.When that happens I never volunteer my spare tube, I always make them ask to rub it in a little!

I've also "heard" things. Not sure about their truths though:

1) Not rated for highway speeds,
2) Wear out quickly on demanding off-road

I will have a chain length once I install my new chain. Running Rk X-ring chain. I donno how it compares to DID's top of the line, but it's much cheaper. Some say it doesn't last as long but my cheap chains get 8000+km out of demanding offroad, I can't see why this one won't last as long or longer. Those that say 15,000miles are blowing smoke up my bum I think. I can only get that on a sport bike with a spotless chain.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #10355
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
About the shoes, I carry a pair of "kung fu" shoes (kind of a slipper with a hard rubber sole) I bought in Chinatown for $3. folded in half and taped, take up little space in the fender pack. If I break down and have a few hours walk to the truck, or the nearest town, I don't want to do that walk wearing riding boots.
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #10356
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Shib, the high end DID stuff is well worth the cost. My heavily abused DID on the sport bike (rode year round - salt, snow, sand, etc, lubed it about every 3k miles) went 40k before I changed it and it still looked pretty good. Needed adjusting 3 times in those 40k miles. Spend the extra few bucks for a quality chain and leave the chain tools and spare links at home, you won't need them.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #10357
mung
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Sprockets and chain

When xr was new put Ironman sprockets and DID chain on.19,000 miles later and stuff is getting slightly worn.WD40 when wet otherwise never lubed.
mung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:55 PM   #10358
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Shib, the high end DID stuff is well worth the cost. My heavily abused DID on the sport bike (rode year round - salt, snow, sand, etc, lubed it about every 3k miles) went 40k before I changed it and it still looked pretty good. Needed adjusting 3 times in those 40k miles. Spend the extra few bucks for a quality chain and leave the chain tools and spare links at home, you won't need them.
530 sportbike chain doesn't really compare to a dirtbike 520.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mung View Post
When xr was new put Ironman sprockets and DID chain on.19,000 miles later and stuff is getting slightly worn.WD40 when wet otherwise never lubed.
This is where it's at.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #10359
Johnny55
Banned

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I understand where you are coming from, but I'm not sure you understand where I am. I'm not looking to ride around baja and southern states. I'm planning on living off my bike for 4-6+ months.

Hopefully you don't take me wrong, but I think I have no problem packing your way for 2-3 weeks, but after 4-5 I'd be wishing I had some of the items I have packed. After reaching mid/southern Mexico I might be shipping my camp gear back and just keeping my sleeping bag liner. I think it'll get most of it's use through AZ and Baja, then once hostels and cheap accomidations become available (and less distance between them) I'll resort to hosteling/cheap hoteling to save weight and space. That being said in these areas the riding will become easier too. I don't think my riding abilities will be the issue, but I do apprecaite a lighter bike and more importantly, simplicity.

Once again, thanks for all the info!

You are right, ultimately you are the one that knows what you need and what you do not. You know what you want, even if someone else says "No, you dont need that" or "I'll never taken mine with me" You are living off your bike for 4-6+ months and that is awesome. All this XRR adventuring talk is getting me very antsy to get on mine and start my RTW trip earlier then planned!

One thing to consider is the sub frame. Have you addressed that weakness? I am not going to talk you into any peice of hardware you want/have. There is a "small bike camping" thread in Equipment some place, that'd be a nice place to get ideas from for small, light weight camping equipment. Also, that 10.5KG spring is a little light, have you thought of upgrading it to an 11 or 11.5? I think that would help you more then trying to lose weight. A heavier spring and lighter equipment would both be nice. I have noticed that when packing my bike for a trip, if I pack the heavier stuff at the bottom on the bags and the lighter stuff on top, it obviously helps alot!

I thought I saw a total weight of all your bags but I cant seem to find it.....? That looks like too much stuff but is it too much weight? Sorry to keep hammering this topic to death but I am planning a 1+ year 100%(or atleast close to) off road RTW trip. 100,000 miles, no hotels, no hostels.....so I need the input as well as anyone
Johnny55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #10360
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Except for the pines in the mountains, most of baja has no trees of any significance. I can't imagine how a hammock would be of use down there as I don't know what you'd tie it to. Sounds like just the ticket for wooded areas.
Although I didn't take my hammock to Baja, I wish I had. Every night as we were settin up camp, I made note of whether I could have used my hammock, and the answer was always YES.

95% of my camping is in the desert, and I can always find something to hang it from.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #10361
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
You are right, ultimately you are the one that knows what you need and what you do not. You know what you want, even if someone else says "No, you dont need that" or "I'll never taken mine with me" You are living off your bike for 4-6+ months and that is awesome. All this XRR adventuring talk is getting me very antsy to get on mine and start my RTW trip earlier then planned!

One thing to consider is the sub frame. Have you addressed that weakness? I am not going to talk you into any peice of hardware you want/have. There is a "small bike camping" thread in Equipment some place, that'd be a nice place to get ideas from for small, light weight camping equipment. Also, that 10.5KG spring is a little light, have you thought of upgrading it to an 11 or 11.5? I think that would help you more then trying to lose weight. A heavier spring and lighter equipment would both be nice. I have noticed that when packing my bike for a trip, if I pack the heavier stuff at the bottom on the bags and the lighter stuff on top, it obviously helps alot!

I thought I saw a total weight of all your bags but I cant seem to find it.....? That looks like too much stuff but is it too much weight? Sorry to keep hammering this topic to death but I am planning a 1+ year 100%(or atleast close to) off road RTW trip. 100,000 miles, no hotels, no hostels.....so I need the input as well as anyone
No total weight but will be posting shortly. I don't have a scale.

I just bought new MotionPro tire levers to lighten the load.

I have considered a 11 or 11.5 spring. I JUST changed out my shock after rebuilding it. That being said I could have a new one in there in no time. I have two 10.5's now since I bought my secondary shock for rebuild parts. The higher rated shock spring would make the front forks worse off too so I'm unease to make a big step in that direction. I might throw one on there to try it out though.

My subframe has been replaced with a steel subframe with intergrated rack made by a fellow inmate.

I do have all tubes and tools at the bottom of my Coyote bag and it does help. The tire irons will reduce the steering inputs the bag makes on the fender (as if the headlight, GPS, Spot doesn't already)...

I've been looking for lighter gear that won't cost me huge chunks of change. Under review is my camping gear and computer gear.

The shoes I have are the following:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwe...shoes-mens.jsp

The pad I want:

http://www.campers-village.com/store...ir-Mat-UL-7.5/

(Exped Ultra Light 7.4)

If any of you want ultra light shoes and open to the idea, the "barefoot" movement has some ultra light and compressible shoes made by Merrel and others (not the finger ones, but the trail glove model, etc)

Old 09-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #10362
Johnny55
Banned

Quote:

I have considered a 11 or 11.5 spring. I JUST changed out my shock after rebuilding it. That being said I could have a new one in there in no time. I have two 10.5's now since I bought my secondary shock for rebuild parts. The higher rated shock spring would make the front forks worse off too so I'm unease to make a big step in that direction. I might throw one on there to try it out though.

What front springs do you have? How much more preload can you go with on the rear? It looks like you are heading in the right direction tho. Excited to hear how all this works out for you!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #10363
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny55 View Post
What front springs do you have? How much more preload can you go with on the rear? It looks like you are heading in the right direction tho. Excited to hear how all this works out for you!
Cut and spaced front springs. Should be around .45kg
Rear shock is a 10.5 at max 15mm preload.

I have another set of forks available that might have aftermarket springs. I might have to take those apart to check them out =)

Old 09-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #10364
Johnny55
Banned

Quote:
Cut and spaced front springs. Should be around .45kg
Rear shock is a 10.5 at max 15mm preload.

I have another set of forks available that might have aftermarket springs. I might have to take those apart to check them out =)

The right springs would make a huge difference too!! That might be better money spent then lightening up the load!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #10365
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
ok let me ask another way

has anybody ever bottomed out the rear tire Y or N
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote