Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #1171
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthendurocat
I carry a cable and pad lock for my bike, I wonder what other people do to secure theirs when they go out. I have been thinking about getting one of those disk brake locks with a cable that goes up to the handlebars so you dont forget its there. Because they are so light (the bikes) I thought about getting somekind of gun that shoots an eye-bolt in to the pavement so I could chain to it.( joking ) Do they have lo-jack for bikes? Maybe an alarm?
When my L was taken, it was not locked . I had moved it from covered parking after the rain stopped. Three hours of sleep kicked in and I forgot to lock the head. It would have stopped the bike from being taken, as the kid hot-wired it and rode it off.

With the R, I carry two large pad locks, one for each disc, keyed the same. I also have a very heavy duty cable lock coming to secure it to a light pole when I work where the L was stolen, or if I am going to be riding anywhere that I may be away from the bike when I stop.

Cables and locks can be cut. Motorcycles can be picked up and loaded into trucks or vans. If a thief really wants it, he's gonna take it. Full coverage helps, but unless you have farkled the hell out of your bike and taken very frequent, detailed pictures, chances are you won't get full replacement value unless it is specified in your policy. Even then, most only offer full-replacement for bikes less than 3 years old, which will pretty much rule out a 2007 model year R.

Locks only keep honest people, honest. Make sure they have to WORK for it!

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #1172
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Ok, any reason for me not to buy a plated 05 with 4k on it, most of which are hwy miles? I'm coming from a DR650 that is getting left on street duty and I want something more dirty . I've read all the stuff about weak points I can find and there doesn't seem to be "any weak points". I know the overheating issues but that appears to be the only real issue with them. I also just happen to have a tm40 sitting on the shelf that needs me to find a bike to put it on. Come on, someone convince me not to buy this thing.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 AM   #1173
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlabs
Ok, any reason for me not to buy a plated 05 with 4k on it, most of which are hwy miles? I'm coming from a DR650 that is getting left on street duty and I want something more dirty . I've read all the stuff about weak points I can find and there doesn't seem to be "any weak points". I know the overheating issues but that appears to be the only real issue with them. I also just happen to have a tm40 sitting on the shelf that needs me to find a bike to put it on. Come on, someone convince me not to buy this thing.
BUY IT!!!

-Joe
Old 07-23-2009, 06:14 AM   #1174
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

BD Dual Sport kit

The BD kit arrived yesterday. I got most of the install done last night before the sun went down. I still need to hook up the stator wires and manufacture some rear turn signal mounts. The parts were missing from the kit. I just need a few pieces of angle stock and I'll be in business. I sent an e-mail to BD requesting the parts that were supposed to be in the kit. We'll see how that goes. In all, I spent an hour and a half on it. Should be done in two.

-Joe
Old 07-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #1175
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,818
Quote:
I agree, buy it!
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #1176
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 39,974
Quote:
Git'cha ass on 'at thang 'fore somebody slaps you!
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #1177
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
As a new BRP rider, you should offer the TM40 up to the BRP gods, in fact send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #1178
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
As a new BRP rider, you should offer the TM40 up to the BRP gods, in fact send it to me and I'll take care of it for you.

If you want a another good pumper carb I have a FCR for sale in the garage sale section...the price is somewhat negotiable but it is a real nice carb! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488139
Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #1179
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650Rking
If you want a another good pumper carb I have a FCR for sale in the garage sale section...the price is somewhat negotiable but it is a real nice carb! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=488139
That's definately some tasty XR candy you got there XRK, it'd be a welcome addition to the BRP but unfortunately I've been reeled in by the CFO recently, she want's a new living room set. I said, "Hey, plastic lawn chairs are all the rage these days." didn't fly
Old 07-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #1180
JustinT OP
I will ride my whole life

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
That's definately some tasty XR candy you got there XRK, it'd be a welcome addition to the BRP but unfortunately I've been reeled in by the CFO recently, she want's a new living room set. I said, "Hey, plastic lawn chairs are all the rage these days." didn't fly
I'm feelin' ya, I was put on a tight leash (budget wise) by mine in rebuilding my bike (since it isn't the first time its needed it) So I'm trying to scrape together some dough by selling parts i don't HAVE to have so I can get by bike back going again and not cut corners on the rebuild.

Thanks for looking...Just putting it out there.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #1181
Matthendurocat
sleeps on ground by bike

Oddometer: 122
Most miles on an XRR?

Does anyone have a ton of miles on their XRR? What is the record for the most miles on one? I have tried to do all kinds of searches to find out but I get a bunch of other stuff instead. I have 7600 on my 07. It would make me happy to hear that somebody had 100,000 on one. Imagine a commercial for XRR's sort of like the old toyota commercials "Where were you when your Toyota hit 200,000 ?" (and it shows somebody jumpping up in the air by their little truck)
Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #1182
pwrtrippin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Here is where I stand now. Got everything wired up, and the stator rewound. Started up the bike and the headlight still flickers at Idle, maybe I should have made one more pass on each pole since I had the space. DC system was at 12.5 v at idle but when reved, dropped to 8.3v. With the help of Xrider, found out the new battery was bad. Removed battery and found a dewalt 12v battery pack, tore it down and built a battery pack in the shape I needed, it has sub-c cells so it has a bit more umph than the BD pack has. I hope to come up with a better mounting solution soon but for now it is in the airbox and it works well. Turn signals work, cooling fan works, and the Acewell computer works. Have a dual switch cluster Coming from highway dirtbikes, one will go to the fan and the other for a battery disconnect, for now the switches are bullet plugs strapped to the handlebars so I can ride. Pics will be posted after I get the swicth cluster in so you can't see the wires on the bars. So heres to wiring harness version 1.0 Already planning to attempt a second stator rewind and see if I can perfect the art (and the output) and working on wiring harness version 2.0 which will be a much cleaner install to try and make it bulletproof, man its hard to find places to put more stuff but its a good time trying.
pwrtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #1183
Matthendurocat
sleeps on ground by bike

Oddometer: 122
Reply to pwrtrippin:

Are you going to coat the rewind with epoxy? What do you need the power for? big head light or ? I think it would be cool to have one of those little tiny welders that fourwheel drive people have under the hoods of their trucks on an XRR. For all of those hard to get to jobs, or for speedy mobile repair service for other types of motorcycles that will remain nameless. Perhaps a large enough rewind would require a custom enlarged side cover for the case. Imagie a huge bulging 500 watt stator that took ten horse power just to turn! Maybe a high idle control would be usefull under those conditions. Good luck with the rewind. -Matt
Old 07-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #1184
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Quote:

The wife has spoken, so it is done.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 PM   #1185
bongodave
Join my cult!

Oddometer: 39,974
bongodave is offline   Reply With Quote