Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #12541
M.A.G.
I heart Penalties

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRPsa View Post
Fox,

allow me a thick question: do you know how to start this bike?
I'm asking because you mentioned 20 kicks or so, and if this would be normal for this bugger then I'd hate the thing... but love it instead, zero need for a fag button.
1 kick, maybe 2 are required..... however, that's the "power"-kick, pls note. On 'cold' starts (not minus gazillion, no gletchers neither frozen deers, just on a coolish morning) set the choke on the first click (not closed), cycle the kickstarter a few times (3? Whatever, a few) whilst pulling the decomp and with closed throttle. Then kick without pulling the decomp until it gets 'hard', pull the decomp and inch the kickstarter an inch down further. Then come up with the kickstarter and hammer it down, and don't even touch the throttle.
If that does not do it on first try, or the second, then up the idling screw (the slide-screw, the stopper!) a bit, and repeat all.
I up the screw most of the time when cold, but then again it never gets real cold here. And mind, my male chicken on a block mine is jetted correct.
This "upping" of the screw is very little so btw, it will idle just quick enough to get some heat in, and I quickly - after letting the choke go of course) turn it back again. As a matter of interest, this exact procedure is identical for the std carb as well as the TM40 (no, I don't have to squeeze some juice in, however that helps I'll admit).

If the above does not work there's something wrong: foul/old plug, or carb-settings, dirt or whatever, but you better find it. This bike starts very easy if all is right.
If you knew all of this - sorry for the lecture bru, find what's wrong.

Don't forget to yell, "Startpiggystartpiggystartpiggystart!" too, whilst kicking...
M.A.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #12542
Jungle Man
frenzied adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Interesting, I never thought to yell anything at the bike that wasn't a profanity. I'll have to try it sometime.
"If you're too busy to hunt and fish, you're too busy"
Jase-Duck Dynasty
Jungle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #12543
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
NMZens, what kind of forks are on your XR?
'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #12544
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Fox,

the bike changed altitude when you bought it, say over ~500 meters? Not impossible, just asking.
If so you'll know you have to re-jet - that's the main but also, to a lesser extent, the idle-circuit too.
Here's some common wisdom.
On most (I almost said any, but I haven't seen them all) carbs the mixture-screw (the quality-screw that is, not the quantity-screw - but this carb doesn't have one) is set anywhere in a 3-turn range from closed - mind, full turns. As this indicates an average setting of 1.5 turn you should aim for this, let's call it the sweet spot, and indeed this is often indicated in manuals: 3 half turns!
Because I am anal I will not allow more than a half-turn off that mark, unless it's a temporary setting (change of altitude say). Bear in mind that this screw is the only variable of a system consisting of a fuel-jet (idle jet) plus an air-jet which doses the air mixed with this fuel into a spray. Both jets are fixed but changeable to another size.... which means if I feel I'm too far off the "1.5 turns" I change the jets accordingly. Yes, I'll admit that the latter is a bit of 'feel', or experience, but right I will get it, and you should too.
0.5 and 2.5 turns is way too far off in my books, never mind what others (will) say, and if yours is set thereabouts then you know what you'll have to do.

Good to know you've got a thick skin, because I've another thick question: you have seen the altitude-dependent jetting-table floating on the net somewhere? If memory serves me well some Tim compiled it, and it is quite close if not spot on. Find it & check against what you have?
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #12545
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post
Interesting, I never thought to yell anything at the bike that wasn't a profanity. I'll have to try it sometime.

I never yell at an XRR, I beg and plead.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #12546
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
i never yell at an xrr, i beg and plead.
+1
Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #12547
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Rather than editing I add to my above post.
I hunch Fox's bike is set too rich, as this is always the easiest to do.
Even with correct jetting of the idle system it's very easy to adjust completely wrong, so in addition to the above, here's what you should do to get thing as correct as you're able to:

Idle the (already warm!) engine, and turn the slide-screw (the slide stopper) down until it almost dies.
Then turn the mixture screw in or out until it almost dies even more - the trick is of course to keep it alive.
Do this both ways (in & out), and determine what is the \middle' of these two settings.. and set it there.
Chances are that the revs will increase now, so re-adjust down (with the stopper-screw of course) until it almost dies again.
Repeat above.
If this gives you the magic 1.5 turns from closed then the idling circuit is OK.
If too far off you better change jets.
Ah yes, eventually you adjust the stopper-screw up a bit to obtain the correct idling rev's - which you determine by ear rather than revcounter. Know that plenty of owner's manuals prescribe ludicrously high idling revs, I assume to allow dorks to drive/ride off too.
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #12548
tannerc
Pig Pilot

Oddometer: 282
Compression stack HELP

I have my comp stack all apart and was looking at the Borynack fork files, the part im having a question with is the two washers at the very bottom of the stack 18mm x .5mm. do these get reinstalled? if you look at the word document he photos them side by side not in line with the other shims.
http://www.borynack.com/xr650r/HondaXR650Rforks.doc
the first pic in that document after it says "brain surgery" in red.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1162935...81608594977282

Anyone have a clue on this? whether or not to reinstall the 2 18mm x .5mm washers or just start out with the 11mm x .10 mm washer?
tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #12549
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I never yell at an XRR, I beg and plead.
Now that I'm adding farkles, my pig has gotten proud and takes offense when shouted at, particularly when addressed with the prefiix "m.f..ing," followed by any of the following: cob roller, hog, piggy, piglet, porker, porky, sow or swine. I've modified my starting sequence accordingly...
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #12550
NMZens
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoJosh View Post
NMZens, what kind of forks are on your XR?
'03 CR250 forks resprung for a fat piggy. Eming clamps. Prolly misspelt cause we're getting "salty" at he Salty Dog in Maggie NC after crossing over the Smokeys today. I'll prolly do a build write up but not tonight!!!
NMZens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #12551
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerc View Post
I have my comp stack all apart and was looking at the Borynack fork files, the part im having a question with is the two washers at the very bottom of the stack 18mm x .5mm. do these get reinstalled? if you look at the word document he photos them side by side not in line with the other shims.
http://www.borynack.com/xr650r/HondaXR650Rforks.doc
the first pic in that document after it says "brain surgery" in red.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1162935...81608594977282

Anyone have a clue on this? whether or not to reinstall the 2 18mm x .5mm washers or just start out with the 11mm x .10 mm washer?
Document for me doesn't show pictures and I forget what I did.

There is some removal of spacers on the forks or shock. Just can't remember. I believe it was the shock though to allow for threads on the damper rod.

Can you post a picture of your stack and point out the spacers?
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #12552
tannerc
Pig Pilot

Oddometer: 282
Can you post a picture of your stack and point out the spacers?

tannerc screwed with this post 03-15-2012 at 10:12 AM
tannerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #12553
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Man View Post
My bike is nicknamed after a female dog because everytime it is hesitant to start I yell out "Start bitch!". At one point my friend was having a discussion about naming bikes and when I said I don't name my vehicles my friend told me that I already had a name for it because I am always yelling at it. I guess the name stuck.

Another question for the guy with starting issues. Are you sure you are turning the choke the right direction? They are a bit backwards from most bikes. Down is open, up is closed.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #12554
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
My bike is nicknamed after a female dog because everytime it is hesitant to start I yell out "Start bitch!"

Another question for the guy with starting issues. Are you sure you are turning the choke the right direction? They are a bit backwards from most bikes.

HAHAHA - I did that once and walked my bike home 2 miles...DUHHHHH!
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #12555
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 736
This might sound odd, but my understanding of Mikuni carbs is that the choke circuit does not function unless the slide is almost bottomed out in the barrel. I think the the stock Keihin carb works the same. If I am having trouble getting the bike to start when very cold I back the idle screw off and give it full choke. It usually starts within 4 or 5 kicks. If I don't do this it won't always start.

The reason they work this way has to do with creating a vacuum ahead of the slide and pulling fuel through the enrichening circuit. If the slide is set too high not enough vacuum is created and the mix stays too lean.

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I used to be a decent Mikuni tuner on 2-smokes and it seems to work on the XRR as well. Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote