Oddometer: 7
Anyone tried Vibronators?

Handlebar vibration reducers? http://www.vibranator.com/default.asp
yxrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #12962
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,735
Here's some XR riding from 2 weeks ago. It started off about 38F, colder-n-hell. It's mostly street and toolin around on some easy DS stuff.

http://youtu.be/DoMlD8X9TRY?hd=1
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #12963
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba289 View Post
I'm about an hour north of DFW. i can only find one for sale on craigslist within 300 miles of me and its not for sale, its for trade only, for a motocross bike....and its 270 miles away.

oh well just have to be patient i guess.
This XR may still be available:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69814

The XR650's pop up for sale on TWTEX every few months. Wild West Honda in Katy, Tx had one for sale about a month ago in showroom condition.
Good Luck,,
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #12964
bubba289
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
This XR may still be available:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69814

The XR650's pop up for sale on TWTEX every few months. Wild West Honda in Katy, Tx had one for sale about a month ago in showroom condition.
Good Luck,,
thanks man. that thread made me realize i hadn't looked at austin area craigslist yet. i found 3 on there from march. now just gotta catch one before it's sold!
bubba289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #12965
pigpen
Gone Riding

Oddometer: 639
xr's

Go Bubba go, oh, wrong bubba! Hopefully you don't crash as much! Welcome to the asylum!

Having fun is not a sport! It's a full time job for some of us!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #12966
Transrider5587
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Swing Arm Tool

Does anyone have a swing arm tool I could buy or rent????? My BRP swing arm is in need of a check.
1989 Honda Transalp...big v-twin
2001 Honda VFR....bigger v-4](Sold)
Transrider5587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #12967
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transrider5587 View Post
Does anyone have a swing arm tool I could buy or rent????? My BRP swing arm is in need of a check.

Build your own with a couple cheap sockets. Well worth the time.

I borrow my buddies, so I guess I can't exactly make the above statement, but his sure do work well!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #12968
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transrider5587 View Post
If you don't have some old sockets or the tools to make some I would be willing to whip up a pair for some beer money. I've made a few sets before.

To the guys talking about valves earlier and anyone who is curious, my valves were pretty toast at the mileage my bike had on it. I got lucky that the cam chain started making racket before the valve dropped.

lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #12969
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
What kind of sounds was your cam chain making? My engine's a little noisy. Also, what happens when you "drop a valve"? Kaboom? EDIT: I googled it. Ouch.

I'm a noob. Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Build your own with a couple cheap sockets. Well worth the time.

I borrow my buddies, so I guess I can't exactly make the above statement, but his sure do work well!
Is there a guide to doing this? Or could someone briefly explain how to?
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #12970
slogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Swingarm sockets. I could use a set also.
If someone is willing to make them, I'm in.
slogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #12971
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
What kind of sounds was your cam chain making? My engine's a little noisy. Also, what happens when you "drop a valve"? Kaboom? EDIT: I googled it. Ouch.

I'm a noob. Lol.

The Pig Pen has a "how to" for the sockets. http://www.xr650r.us/preload/
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #12972
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogger View Post
Swingarm sockets. I could use a set also.
If someone is willing to make them, I'm in.
Depending on the price, I might be in as well.

My bikes been sitting a while as I don't want to ride it until I inspect the bearings. Oh and a cracked rim. She begs to be rode. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent2 View Post
The Pig Pen has a "how to" for the sockets. http://www.xr650r.us/preload/
Thanks! Seems pretty simple, but I don't know if I could pull it off with my grinder. I wonder if my dad has a dremel...
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #12973
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Yup, I hated that thing. It'd heat sink the entire bike until you couldn't stand to be on the thing.

Shibby, just trying to point out that you're throwing away perfectly good oil at 2,000km. You're not hurting anything except your wallet, so go with it if it's what you want.

All this oil talk combined with my curiousity on reasonable oil change intervals since I'm not racing my bike across the desert, I wanted to see for myself. So I just did a little experiment to compare viscosities of new vs very used oil (I was quite over-due, well over 1k mi., quite dark). I believe it to be quite close to scientific, based on some work experience I had a couple of decades age, testing among other things, fluid viscosity.

So I took a new quart of honda bike 10w-30. I drilled a hole or orifice in the cap, with the bit that was already in the drill that looked good, I think it was a .263 according to my cheap HFT vernier. Then I put my finger over the hole, flipped it upside down, and drilled two more holes in the bottom of the quart bottle, figuring twice the cross section area of air flow vs oil flow through one orifice should take pressure differential out of the equation. So I took my kitchen clock outside (because it has a second hand) and I drained that quart of new oil through that drilled cap, and it took about 45 seconds.

So then I changed my oil. Old oil was pretty dark. I used the same cap on another quart bottle, since the two holes in the other bottle would have been problematic, obviously. But I used the same cap. Filled the 2nd bottle with a quart of the dark, old, overused oil. Finger over the hole, flipped the bottle over, drilled two more holes in the bottom, now top, of that bottle, removed my finger and timed it.

To my great surprise, the very old oil also took about 45 seconds. I was expecting 30 or less seconds, but it was basically identical.

So my conclusion, which I'd be very glad for some critical feedback of my experiment, but my conclusion is that the contamination of the oil is the driver for oil change on this bike, not viscosity breakdown. Well that's for my commuting anyway. Haven't ridden off-road much admittedly, partly because I didn't have my new off-road gearing sprockets all in hand until a couple days ago, and so dirt wheels couldn't be used yet with good off-road gearing.

XRx screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 06:25 PM
XRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #12974
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post

I'm a noob. Lol.

The cam chain sounded like someone was pounding on the cases with a sledgehammer. Trust me you would stop if you heard it! I think the sound was from the back chain slider slapping on the chain "lifter". The xrr is always noisy but this was above and beyond normal.

The aforementioned xr650r.us guide is how I have done mine before. I will put up some pics of what I am talking about later for those of you that asked me about them. I am not talking about anything more than some old cut up sockets and I wouldn't charge much more than 15-20 for them. But don't expect anything beautiful. I happen to have access to a shop right now but it hasn't always been like that so I don't mind helping others that don't have access to the tools to make their own tools.

I wouldn't recommend a dremel as sockets are pretty hard. You are much better off going out and buying a cheap die grinder if you want to make your own. A 4 1/2 inch angle grinder might work but the wheel size might limit you.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #12975
SwellsRides
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Still trying to get her legal!

Hello gang!

I have recently picked up a 2000 XR650R SM, but have really yet to ride it! It had the Baja Designs E-Start added, and the Baja Designs 200 W stator added over a year ago, but was never fully wired, and then it sat for over a year. She started on the 3rd kick after sitting (after fresh fuel and oil of course!) and now starts on one kick.

However, it has the Trick Dual sport kit on it, and I am not having any luck getting everything wired up so the lights and brake lights etc work to pass inspection in MD. So I just dropped some cash and bought the BD dual sport kit, and hope to wire it up this weekend!! Any suggestions on the best way would be great, as I am not so gud wit the lectricity! Here is a quick photo of how she looked before, and I'll post after photos when she is done! Looking forward to drinking the Kool Aid and learning from you kats! Any info on the best way to navigate the MD inspection would be very welcome as well.

Below is a list of some of the mods that I remember so far:

- HRC power up kit (dynoed at 50+ RWHP before any carb tweaking)
- Edelbrock pumper carb (& stock oem carb)
- K&N pod filter w/filtercharger skin & custom intake pipe (& brand new oem airbox / filter)
- Moriwaki stainless steel full-system. Also have a ceramic coated & heat wrapped headers w/ Yoshimura RS-3 slip-on muffler.
- 17 inch Behr wheels laced to gold Talon hubs
- Avon Distanzia tires (160R,120F)
- Motomaster Pro Kit 320mm front brake kit (4 piston caliper and rotor)
- Stainless Steel & spare OEM front brake lines
- Wave rear disk brake
- Stiffer front fork & rear Eibach shock springs by Lindemann Engineering (& spare OEM springs)
- Koubalinks on rear suspension linkage
- SRC billet fork brace with black SRC fork guards
- IMS 4.6 gal. tank (& OEM stock tank)
- Trick Dual Sport street legal kit (hi/lo headlight, brake lights, horn & bar mounted mirror)
- LED tail light (new & not installed yet)
- TrailTech Endurance computer w/billet mount/protector cage
- Black Acerbis Supermoto fender (& spare trimmed OEM front fender)
- Black painted side panels w/ vented air box cover side (& a brand new set of spare black side panels)
- IMS wide footpegs
- 15/45 gearing w/new DID x-ring 520 chain & spare sprockets (14, 40 & 48 teeth)
- SRC & OEM case savers (not installed)
- Factory Connection radiator guards
- Cycra Pro-Bend hand guards (these mount to the triple clamps) and aluminum handlebar
- XRs only ignition switch/key kit
- XRs Only oil temp dipstick
- XRs Only higher temp radiator cap
- XRs Only tool pouch mounted on rear fender
- Aluminum braced rear fender
- F&R wheel crash mushrooms
- Baja Designs electric start kit & 250w rewound stator.

So I may have some pieces and parts to sell after I get her going and realize what I need and do not need. I know I have the original seat, tank, stock carb, etc that I could sell to help pay for the other mods it might need for Maryland Inspection. May need to pick up a set of off road wheels too!!

Thanks guys, and look forward to sharing with you more in the future!
Steve
"Swells"

SwellsRides
noob

XR650R Year: 2000

Royal Enfield Bullet (Sold in Sri Lanka)
"When in Doubt, Punch it out!"
SwellsRides is offline   Reply With Quote